Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UFC 235 March 2nd - Jones vs. Smith

God's Gift to God

Status

Re: UFC 235 March 2nd - Jones vs. Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    Super dirty in that it clearly wasn't legal? Well, it definitely was not legal. It wasn't super dirty in the sense that he was attempting to make sure that Smith wasn't grounded and landed it at the wrong time, and it was close. Jones wasn't throwing it regardless. He was trying. He clipped him pretty good, but not RIDICULOUSLY hard. Smith didn't take the easy path out as that could have been a disqualifying strike if Smith couldn't continue so good on him.

As much as Jones dominated, it also felt like Smith held back and never let loose in any way. Clearly that's part of the Jones dominance, but it also reaches a point where there is no chance you are winning otherwise and have to take risks.
    people were making it sound like a plain as day violation where jones was trying to really hurt him. i was hoping it was more in line with dudes still not being used to the rules or being in transition or something

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Coxatron View Post
    people were making it sound like a plain as day violation where jones was trying to really hurt him. i was hoping it was more in line with dudes still not being used to the rules or being in transition or something
    Well, it was "plain as day" in the sense that yes, Smith was grounded when it hit. But its not like he was grounded for an extended period and Jones just got frustrated and smashed him with a knee. He transitioned between grounded and not grounded several times in a short period.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Indy Talent

Status
      Country                    United States

Smith was getting up, but still had his hand clearly on the mat and Jones threw the knee. Maybe he was trying to knee him before he got to his feet...I don't know, but it was clearly illegal. Smith could've taken a DQ win. I think it was more heat of the moment, oh shit I can't do that, type of a thing personally.

Spoiler:

Thread Information