Thread: Wrestlers shocked after word leaks out in WWE about how much AEW is paying C.Jericho

Status
      Country                    United States

All Elite Wrestling Wrestlers shocked after word leaks out in WWE about how much AEW is paying C.Jericho

For the first time since WCW died, wrestlers feel like they have a real option to make more money outside of WWE and wrestlers are paying attention to what All Elite Wrestling is doing.

Details about Chris Jericho’s contract leaked backstage in WWE last week and it opened a lot of eyes. “Last week it went around WWE locker room the Jericho $ amount, it was a huge shock,” Dave Meltzer said on the Wrestling Observer Forum.

Meltzer went into a little more detail on Wrestling Observer Radio:

“One of the things that happened, I was actually told this a couple of days ago. Jericho’s contract number went around the WWE locker room and a lot of people were stunned, freaked, depending on your viewpoint.”

He continued, “It wouldn’t be a John Cena number and it’s not a Brock Lesnar number and I don’t think it’s a Ronda Rousey number [or] maybe it is. I don’t know but it’s a pretty high number. It’s one of the higher numbers. It would be near the top in WWE. [Wrestlers are] all of a sudden like ‘woah.’ Something out there is real.”

It’s not a coincidence that so many wrestlers have expressed unhappiness with WWE and have asked for their release. It looks like AEW is willing to spend money when necessary to get some big names on board, which is another sign that indicates they have a good paying TV deal lined up.

As noted earlier, Chris Jericho is hoping to get a match with Brock Lesnar in AEW.

Source: Dave Meltzer
    Obviously, not everyone is Chris Jericho, but does this possibly mean that WWE has been paying a lot of guys below market value because of no competition? I get it why would WWE pay over market value when they don't need to, but still Chris Jericho could just be the guy to scout talent, and open the eyes to some guys who aren't given a fair shot in WWE. Pretty interesting, and considering Triple H has been making moves with NXT maybe this will increase his say on the main product. What do you guys think?

Last Real Man Hype

Status

Re: Wrestlers shocked after word leaks out in WWE about how much AEW is paying C.Jeri

The note about Brock Lesnar at the end just makes it clearer that Jericho wasn’t just drunk that night he tweeted he wanted to live in Brock Lesnar’s skin.

Man, Legend, Way of Life

Status

Re: Wrestlers shocked after word leaks out in WWE about how much AEW is paying C.Jeri

Jericho's going to get paid; he's an EV+ performer. Nice work if you can get it.

I would have no trouble believing Vince underpays people.

The Flow

Status
      Country                    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Jericho's going to get paid; he's an EV+ performer. Nice work if you can get it.

I would have no trouble believing Vince underpays people.
    Jericho’s had like 2 good matches the last 4 years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only time WWE came close to a good story line post Attitude Era was Undertaker/Mordecai - Dakstang

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Mitch View Post

One of which was the most anticipated of the year it happened. He's clearly a net positive in the ring, on the mic and in the media. Worth whatever they're paying him, I'm sure.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

He also brings a certain name value to the brand, so that's another positive.

Plus he wants to kiss Brock Lesnar and that's always worth a few extra bucks.

Ask Fuji|2019 Movie Log

Help decide WC's Fave Five WWE Superstars of 2019~!

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

Relentless Admin

Status
      Country                    England

He’s also in his late 40s, wrestles fewer matches so his ratio isn’t bad at all and two of those matches were the MOTN at Wrestle Kingdom.

Last Real Man Hype

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Fuji Vice View Post

Plus he wants to kiss Brock Lesnar and that's always worth a few extra bucks.
    You're focusing on that and not his skin comments?

Quote Originally Posted by Dakstang
    You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Marketh View Post
    You're focusing on that and not his skin comments?
    Tbh I kind of forgot about the skin comments after the time you brought up him buying Brock Lesnar's used trunks on Ebay.

Ask Fuji|2019 Movie Log

Help decide WC's Fave Five WWE Superstars of 2019~!

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

The Flow

Status

Don't get me wrong I love Jericho but when people try to claim he's still one of the best it just annoys me because it's not true, he is still great on the mic though and can get anything over.

The only time WWE came close to a good story line post Attitude Era was Undertaker/Mordecai - Dakstang

Status

Don't get me wrong I love Jericho but when people try to claim he's still one of the best it just annoys me because it's not true, he is still great on the mic though and can get anything over.
    That's a pretty big part of the equation.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    Hong Kong

I think both Mitch and everyone is right in their own way. Clearly Jericho's value is the name itself and outside the ring stuff moreso than his actual output in-ring for all sorts of reasons. But from a purely business perspective he's a great person to have for any company. Just look at his "banned from WWE" schtick he's started up. A lot of people would focus purely on AEW but he knew exactly what buttons to push to rally AEW's perspective fanbase. That kind of thinking is what separates him from others.

We can tell other people about...having faith. What we had faith in. What we found important enough to fight for. It's not whether you were right or wrong, but how much faith you were willing to have, that decides the future~

Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Dylan Fox (me) & Cagematch.net boss STRIGGA)

Check out our Patreon and support me please? 1/3/5 dollar tiers but any one is good! - The Eastern Lariat

Thread Information