Thread: Dolph Ziggler

God of Destruction

Status
      Country                    Slovak Republic

Dolph Ziggler

A man that has defied this entire industry by spiting in the face of everyone that said he will be nothing more than a male cheerleader. A man that was never meant to succeed in this business. A man that is undoubtedly one of the best in this business; a former champion, a future Hall of Fame Member and a current Show-Off. I could rip on him and call him names, I could even partially blame him for the downfall of Western Civilization as is popular these days... But I won't. In fact, I'll do something that nobody could even see coming... I'm going to compliment Ziggler for crawling out from every hole he has been thrown into. God awful feud with Rusev? He is back with the feud of the year with The Miz. Horrible heel turn? Bang he turns everything around with tag team with McIntyre. Strictly speaking in the ring; on the mat, he isn't aware of the presence of threat, he is the presence of threat. He is smart, agile, believable and he is the guy that would even sell Daniel Bryan a steak.
    "You only need to hang mean bastards, but mean bastards you need to hang."

WAKE UP

Status

Re: Dolph Ziggler

Absolutely not.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Have we opened up the worst worker of the last five years subforum?

Can I nominate Bray Wyatt too?

30 Days of WC Member's Choice - Coming Soon - PM me match suggestions

Shock Reviews Archive

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfs Rain View Post
    A man that was never meant to succeed in this business.
    I don't get this part as it seems clear to me that McMahon saw potential in him. With less than a year's experience in the ring, he's brought up and paired with a veteran. Was the caddy gimmick meant to make Ziggler a star? Absolutely not, but it was a means of allowing him to further learn from someone with a lot of years in the business in Chavo Guerrero. It's very similar to Batista being brought up and paired with Rev. D-Von. You know it's not going to work, but that's not the goal. This gimmick is prematurely ended due to Eddie Guerrero's death, but he's quickly thrown into the Spirit Squad while back in OVW. I think he was only off of the main roster for a couple of months? People can always say they were a bunch of cheerleaders but these guys immediately were put in a program with the top acts on Raw. Not only is it a means of further giving Ziggler experience through working with veterans, but it's allowing him to be known by the people that mattered. While most guys would have likely have been fired after finding their first two attempts on the main roster not "Succeed", Ziggler was given yet another chance with a new gimmick. Once he came back to the main roster, he was made one of the top midcard stars on Smackdown.

This is hardly a case of someone who wasn't meant to succeed, but rather a green guy that the WWE took their time and focused instead on allowing Ziggler to gain experience and knowledge before he was given a proper push. Look at the rest of the guys in the Spirit Squad. Despite Kenny, Johnny, and Mikey all being clearly better, at the time, none of those guys got nearly as many chances as Dolph got. A pretty big deal too since if you just focus on OVW, Johnny and Kenny were the ones expected to be the future stars, but the WWE preferred Dolph.

The Flow

Status
      Country                    Canada

What Steve and Shock said. One good match with The Miz. His stuff with McIntyre was okay let’s not act like it was a career changer. His matches against Rollins sucked except for the last one. He’s a completely different wrestler than he was 2010-14.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only time WWE came close to a good story line post Attitude Era was Undertaker/Mordecai - Dakstang
    [06:01 PM]Dakstang
    :
    Yeah I guess you are right. And I only want to be Daddy to my own kids. Sorry.

God of Destruction

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I don't get this part as it seems clear to me that McMahon saw potential in him. With less than a year's experience in the ring, he's brought up and paired with a veteran. Was the caddy gimmick meant to make Ziggler a star? Absolutely not, but it was a means of allowing him to further learn from someone with a lot of years in the business in Chavo Guerrero. It's very similar to Batista being brought up and paired with Rev. D-Von. You know it's not going to work, but that's not the goal. This gimmick is prematurely ended due to Eddie Guerrero's death, but he's quickly thrown into the Spirit Squad while back in OVW. I think he was only off of the main roster for a couple of months? People can always say they were a bunch of cheerleaders but these guys immediately were put in a program with the top acts on Raw. Not only is it a means of further giving Ziggler experience through working with veterans, but it's allowing him to be known by the people that mattered. While most guys would have likely have been fired after finding their first two attempts on the main roster not "Succeed", Ziggler was given yet another chance with a new gimmick. Once he came back to the main roster, he was made one of the top midcard stars on Smackdown.

This is hardly a case of someone who wasn't meant to succeed, but rather a green guy that the WWE took their time and focused instead on allowing Ziggler to gain experience and knowledge before he was given a proper push. Look at the rest of the guys in the Spirit Squad. Despite Kenny, Johnny, and Mikey all being clearly better, at the time, none of those guys got nearly as many chances as Dolph got. A pretty big deal too since if you just focus on OVW, Johnny and Kenny were the ones expected to be the future stars, but the WWE preferred Dolph.
    If we talk about Spirit Squad he was not even one of the prominent members like Kenny and Mitch. Kenny was meant to be the breakout guy. This guy actually beat Ric Flair on PPV.

Mr. McMahon is actually the one that was always against him. Dusty Rhodes was his big supporter campaigning for Ziggler to be the first one to cash in the MITB at Wrestlemania, but McMahon refused. He talked him into Raw after Wrestlemania and Mr. McMahon was still vocal about "We are not pushing Ziggler." I heard it on someone's podcast. It makes sense that whenever he gets a head of steam and starts getting over the rug is pulled from underneath him and he is booked to fall on his nose.

MADMIN KING

Status
      Country                    England

I loved his feud with Miz and there's more than one good match in that, but other wise it's a big ol' no from me.

I actually disagree with Mitch, I think a problem with Ziggler is that he hasn't evolved at all from how he wrestled 8 years ago and over time people get bored of seeing the same old moves and because they care less about his booking after years of being overlooked, whats the hook to watching a Ziggler match anymore? I mean his idea of staying relevant recently was to add a record scratch at the beginning of his music. He wrestled exactly the same as a heel tagging with Drew as he did as a babyface against the Miz. He wouldn't look out of place in the elite.

If we talk about Spirit Squad he was not even one of the prominent members like Kenny and Mitch. Kenny was meant to be the breakout guy. This guy actually beat Ric Flair on PPV.
    Mitch?! The guy who the WWE purposely rarely ever used? Mitch was by far the least important and relied on member of the Spirit Squad.

God of Destruction

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Mitch?! The guy who the WWE purposely rarely ever used? Mitch was by far the least important and relied on member of the Spirit Squad.
    Mitch usually wrestled together with Kenny when it was 2 vs. 2. I would also add that Dolph debuted to me as a gag character:

I am Dolph Ziggler
    Shakes hand
    Leaves

I am not saying he is the best worker of the last five years he just deserves to be in the consideration.

Mitch usually wrestled together with Kenny when it was 2 vs. 2. I would also add that Dolph debuted to me as a gag character:
    Dude, other than one squash against Ric Flair, the only time Mitch ever wrestled on TV was when it was three or more members of the Spirit Squad in action. Mitch wasn't even trusted to work a dozen matches on TV/PPV.

The Flow

Status

Yeah maybe you’re thinking of Mikey

The only time WWE came close to a good story line post Attitude Era was Undertaker/Mordecai - Dakstang
    [06:01 PM]Dakstang
    :
    Yeah I guess you are right. And I only want to be Daddy to my own kids. Sorry.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

I am Dolph Ziggler
    Shakes hand
    Leaves

I am not saying he is the best worker of the last five years he just deserves to be in the consideration.
    I don't think he should be in consideration at all. One great match with Miz doesn't make up for five years of being an atrocious parody of a professional wrestler. The man has been afforded countless opportunities against top talent and done nothing of note and is very often outright terrible. Bad at selling, horrible offence, boring matches, shitty HBK cosplaying.

Literally the only thing he does well nowadays is bump and even that is bogged down by the fact that he can't sell for shit after taking a bump.

He's a terrible, terrible wrestler. I'm not kidding when I say that if this was a worst worker list he would easily be in my top 10.

If this was 2010-2014, I'd be all in on voting for Ziggler. But this is 2015-today where he has become a cariacature of what he once was. Even if he embodies the spirit of Flair 1989 this year I won't even consider him, that's how bad the last 4 years have been for him.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Shock Reviews Archive

Hail To The King

Status
      Country                    United States

Dolph is the man great talent that never reached heights he should of
    God Save The Queen

Spoiler:

CWA World Heavyweight Champion
    Brayden Bridges

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    China

I miss when he did the handshake gimmick. Like Orton with RNN, gimmicks that were dumb, & yet also much better than anything else in their careers, even their highly regarded times with others.
    As long as you remember me, I will always live within you. Not as a phantom limb or a phantom anything...As part of your heart. I will always be your angel of peace. So I know exactly how to finish...

Say..."Peace".

Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Dylan Fox (me) & Cagematch.net boss STRIGGA)

Check out our Patreon and support me please? 1/3/5 dollar tiers but any one is good! - The Eastern Lariat

God of Destruction

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    I don't think he should be in consideration at all. One great match with Miz doesn't make up for five years of being an atrocious parody of a professional wrestler. The man has been afforded countless opportunities against top talent and done nothing of note and is very often outright terrible. Bad at selling, horrible offence, boring matches, shitty HBK cosplaying.

Literally the only thing he does well nowadays is bump and even that is bogged down by the fact that he can't sell for shit after taking a bump.

He's a terrible, terrible wrestler. I'm not kidding when I say that if this was a worst worker list he would easily be in my top 10.

If this was 2010-2014, I'd be all in on voting for Ziggler. But this is 2015-today where he has become a cariacature of what he once was. Even if he embodies the spirit of Flair 1989 this year I won't even consider him, that's how bad the last 4 years have been for him.

No, he spent his time introducing new talent like Nakamura, Baron Corbin, Tyler Breeze and Drew to the main roster.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

No, he spent his time introducing new talent like Nakamura, Baron Corbin, Tyler Breeze and Drew to the main roster.
    And doing a pretty bad job at it too.

I don't see an argument for his inclusion to be honest. His best stuff was before 2015 and he offered nothing substantial or worth mentioning after the point except for the Miz match which I don't think was that good tbh.
    We Don't Confrom, Kiss Ass Or Get Married
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!
    NJPW Threads

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

I don’t even think he was that good in the first half of the decade but he sure hasn’t been in the last. Worst main roster wrestler by a country mile.

Ask Fuji|2020 Movie Log

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

And systematically made all of them much less interesting and ruined their start on the main roster.

Let's not pretend that Ziggler hasn't gotten regular 15-20 minute TV matches with the likes on: AJ Styles, Sheamus, Cesaro, Randy Orton, John Cena, Sami Zayn, Kevin Owens, Dean Ambrose, Shinsuke Nakamura, Seth Rollins. If Ziggler was even a hundredth as good as his sympathisers think he is, he'd have had a fine half decade with the crazy talent that WWE has at its disposal.

Shock Reviews Archive

Thread Information