Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WWE NXT TakeOver: Phoenix - Jan. 26, 2019 - Card & Discussion

Friendship King

Status
      Country                    Australia

NXT Takeover Special WWE NXT TakeOver: Phoenix - Jan. 26, 2019 - Card & Discussion

---

NXT Championship
    Tommaso Ciampa (c) vs Aleister Black

Quote Originally Posted by WWE.com
    The pinfall to close out the July 25 edition of NXT — the night Tommaso Ciampa defeated Aleister Black to become NXT Champion — not only cemented one of the most infamous NXT Title matches in recent memory, but also a moment when the black-and-gold brand had been rocked to its core. In its aftermath came a cloud that has since billowed over NXT TakeOver: Brooklyn IV, WarGames: II and, now, Phoenix.

At NXT TakeOver: Phoenix, Black will be out for more than just retribution when he battles Ciampa for the coveted NXT Championship. After knocking out the lights of Johnny Gargano – Ciampa’s former #DIY pal – in a grueling match at NXT TakeOver: WarGames II, The Dutch Destroyer invoked his long-awaited rematch clause. Weeks after that battle, Black stepped up to Tommy Sports-Entertainment on Dec. 5 and declared that he was out to absolve Ciampa of the NXT Championship. Seeing as how this battle has been six months in the making, it wasn’t long before Regal made it official.

Although he’s defended “Goldie” against a few impressive challengers (Johnny Gargano, Velveteen Dream) in the wake of his career-defining victory, Ciampa faces arguably the biggest threat to his NXT Title at NXT TakeOver: Phoenix. Will Ciampa’s lofty spotlight finally “fade to black?” Don’t miss Tommaso Ciampa vs. Aleister Black for the NXT Title at NXT TakeOver: Phoenix, streaming live Saturday, Jan. 26, at 7 ET/4 PT on the award-winning WWE Network.
    ---

NXT Tag Team Championships
    Undisputed Era (c) vs War Raiders

The War Raiders are heading to TakeOver: Phoenix with one goal in mind: pillaging The Undisputed ERA’s NXT Tag Team Championship.

Hanson & Rowe were on the cusp of dethroning Kyle O’Reilly & Roderick Strong once before, on the Oct. 27 edition of NXT, until a chair-wielding Bobby Fish interfered, attacking The War Raiders in the waning moments of the match. The desperate tactic resulted in a disqualification loss for Undisputed ERA but ensured the titles would remain in the stable’s possession.

The rivalry between the teams intensified in November at TakeOver: WarGames during the event’s titular match. Hanson, Rowe, NXT North American Champion Ricochet & WWE U.K. Champion Pete Dunne prevailed over The Undisputed ERA that night, but the hellacious conflict took its toll on all competitors. It was later reported that Hanson suffered broken ribs, a ruptured spleen and torn ligament during the fracas.

It will take more than internal injuries and broken bones, however, to deter the battle-tested War Raiders. Will Hanson & Rowe’s raid end with the crowning of new champions, or can the boastful, yet inarguably dangerous, combo of O’Reilly & Strong turn back their rough and gruff challengers? Find out when NXT TakeOver: Phoenix streams live Saturday, Jan. 26, at 7 ET/4 PT, exclusively on the award-winning WWE Network!
    ---

NXT Women's Championship
    Shanya Baszler (c) vs Bianca Bel Air

What’s a dominant Queen of Spades to an undefeated EST of NXT? The answer to that will be realized when Bianca Belair challenges Shayna Baszler for the coveted NXT Women’s Championship at NXT TakeOver: Phoenix.

Since winning the NXT Women’s Title from Kairi Sane at WWE Evolution, Baszler has been hellbent on maintaining her iron grip on the crown. Meanwhile, the herculean Belair has been tearing through NXT with an incredible streak of victories, including in the grueling NXT Women's Title No. 1 Contender's Fatal 4-Way Match on the Dec. 26 edition of NXT that punched her ticket to TakeOver: Phoenix. Now, these two forces come face to face, while unarguably standing as the greatest threat to one another.

In a showdown between sheer strength and killer instinct, these two powerhouses prepare for their biggest fight yet. Will The Queen of Spades carry on her two-time reign of terror? Or will The EST of NXT dethrone #ShaynaTwoTime and remain un-de-fea-ted?

Don’t miss this monumental clash for the NXT Women’s Championship at NXT TakeOver: Phoenix, streaming live Saturday, Jan. 26, at 7 ET/4 PT on the award-winning WWE Network!
    ---

NXT North American Championship
    Ricochet (c) vs Johnny Gargano

Where there’s smoke, there’s fire. At TakeOver: Phoenix, the fiery tension between NXT North American Champion Ricochet and Johnny Gargano will come to ignite the Talking Stick Resort Arena.

It all started when NXT Champion Tommaso Ciampa laid the firewood, on the Dec. 26 edition of NXT, by suggesting that Johnny Wrestling go after the NXT North American Title currently held by The One and Only. Despite dismissing Ciampa’s meddling, Gargano didn’t balk at the idea once the reigning champion entertained the challenge. But things went from budding competition to full-bloom animosity when Gargano struck Ricochet with a thunderous superkick on the Jan. 9 edition of NXT, seemingly declaring that he wants all the smoke.

At TakeOver: Phoenix, these two NXT Superstars will put it all on the line when they tangle for the NXT North American Title. For Ricochet, who’s been hard at work slotting his coveted prize as the black-and-gold brand’s workhorse title, the plan is to walk out of TakeOver: Phoenix and remain the one and only NXT North American Champion. For Johnny Wrestling, it’s all about two things: wins and championships.

Find out who walks away champion when NXT TakeOver: Phoenix streams live Saturday, Jan. 26, at 7 ET/4 PT, exclusively on the award-winning WWE Network.
    ---

Matt Riddle vs Kassius Ohno

On the heels of Kassius Ohno’s controversial victory over Matt Riddle ally Keith Lee, WWE.com has learned that The Knockout Artist and The King of Bros will collide at NXT TakeOver: Phoenix on Saturday, Jan. 26.

This match will mark the third installment in the bitter rivalry between Riddle and Ohno. The first showdown, an impromptu bout that took place at TakeOver: WarGames, ended in near record-breaking time, a total of six seconds, thanks to a devastating knee strike by Riddle. Their Jan. 2 rematch went much longer, but the outcome remained the same, with Riddle taking the win. The King of Bros tried to quash the beef with Ohno afterward, but instead of accepting the olive branch, The Knockout Artist waylaid Riddle in a vicious attack that left the Future Star of NXT Award nominee aching and medically uncleared to compete in the weeks that followed.

Ohno made matters even more personal when he used an illegal low blow to topple Lee on the Jan. 16 edition of NXT. Following the incident, the nefarious Knockout Artist claimed to be “living rent-free” in Riddle’s head and declared “Bro” “canceled.”

Don’t miss the hard-hitting third round in this ongoing conflict when Riddle and Ohno throw down at TakeOver: Phoenix, streaming live Saturday, Jan. 26, at 7 ET/4 PT on the award-winning WWE Network.

With NXT UK's TakeOver close to airing I figured now's also a good time to get NXT Not-UK's next TakeOver event posted.
    Last edited by Smooth Jazz Wolf; 01-18-2019 at 12:14 AM.

CWA: A Decade of Decadence
    Maybe the end of something great.
    Maybe the start of something new.
    Stay tuned.

t h e o g

Status
      Country                    Canada

Re: WWE NXT TakeOver: Phoenix - Jan. 26, 2019 - Card & Discussion

Have I missed something or have they completely dropped the ball in hyping Baszler versus Belair in any way?

Say My Name

Status
      Country                    England

Strong card with the addition of Gargano vs Ricochet as well.

I'm wondering what direction they go after this and towards Mania weekend to be honest.
    BTB Achievements
    WWE: The New Vision

Spoiler:

The Planet's Admin

Status

I'm really excited for Bianca's first takeover match. Think the tag match will be really good too.

Quote Originally Posted by Order View Post
    I'm wondering what direction they go after this and towards Mania weekend to be honest.
    Probably something to do with Black, Ciampa and Gargano in a fresh direction for the top of the card.

also

wtf. hoho, who is this?

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

^ "Get me, get me bloody".............

I'm not really on the Belair bandwagon, but I'm really pumped for her match with Shayna Baszler. Two totally different styles of wrestling. Completely unique match up. Could be excellent, could be a disaster, could be anything. Can't wait for that. I'd say Belair wins to allow Baszler to fully go into the Horsewomen vs Io/Kairi/Dakota feud, and gives the NXT women's division some new direction.

The rest of the card looks okay. Nothing really screams out to me but they should good nonetheless.
    Last edited by MC 16; 01-11-2019 at 04:30 PM.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!
    NJPW Threads
    General Discussion - NJPW The New Beginnings Tour 2019 - Beginners Guide To New Japan - NJPW Year-To-Year MOTY's

"You're not fighting the odds, Eddie. You're fighting me"

WAKE UP

Status

is Bianca any good? If not, a potential Riddle vs Ohno match feels like the only thing that grabs me about this show.

Status
      Country                    United States

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    I'm really excited for Bianca's first takeover match. Think the tag match will be really good too.

Probably something to do with Black, Ciampa and Gargano in a fresh direction for the top of the card.

also

wtf. hoho, who is this?
    Poppy is someone who got famous on social media, I think YouTube specifically and yeah... she just kind of acts weird or whatever and also makes nu metal music. This song is going to be one of the themes for TakeOver.

Say My Name

Status

Anyone know what has happened to Velveteen Dream? Is he injured?
    BTB Achievements
    WWE: The New Vision

Spoiler:

The Planet's Admin

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Order View Post
    Anyone know what has happened to Velveteen Dream? Is he injured?
    He's working the worlds collide gimmick thing on royal rumble axess so he can't be injured. Guess creative has nothing for him.

We better not get shortchanged out of Riddle/Ohno again here.

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    is Bianca any good? If not, a potential Riddle vs Ohno match feels like the only thing that grabs me about this show.
    She’s got tons of potential and super athletic, but not yet refined as a package. She reminds me a lot of Charlotte in her very early NXT days. I don’t think she’ll become as good as her as quickly but she’s good for someone with 3 years or so experience.

The Planet's Admin

Status

Bianca's an absolute natural at wrestling, she's got her gimmick down and she's a fitness/athletics freak so Triple H should be really high on her. Think she's a victim of the system that can only highlight maybe 3-4 women tops in a year because there's only one Takeover spot they are all fighting for, so her development slowed right down. I cannot believe it has taken this long to put her on a takeover since that Kairi Sane Mae Young Classic match in 2017.

The Planet's Admin

Status

Riddle vs Ohno officially added to takeover. Yay!

Mid-Card Champion

Status
      Country                    Ghana

NXT Championship- Tommasso Ciampa (c) vs Aleister Black- Winner: Still NXT Champion Tommasso Ciampa; Aleister Black ends up on the main roster right after NXT TakeOver: Phoenix; Ciampa ends up in a new feud but who with?

NXT Women's Championship- Shayna Baszler (c) vs Bianca Belair- Winner: Still NXT Women's Champion Shayna Baszler; with help from Shafir and Duke; then again aren't Baszler and Belair both heels? So if it is a battle of heel vs heel then in that case I say Baszler walks out still the champion because let's face it Baszler since winning the title back has been unbeatable and not to mention she has Shafir and Duke helping her out so no doubt they help her again to retain the title

NXT Tag Team Championships- Undisputed Era (Strong and O'Reilly) (c) vs War Raiders- Winners: New NXT Tag Team Champions War Raiders

Friendship King

Status
      Country                    Australia

Riddle/Ohno and Gargano/Ricochet has been added to the OP. Looks like we've got a full card.

CWA: A Decade of Decadence
    Maybe the end of something great.
    Maybe the start of something new.
    Stay tuned.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Ohno vs Riddle!!!!! Hopefully they actually have a proper match this time around, no point of doing a squash match again. This is looking to be the best TakeOver match in a while.

Gargano vs Ricochet was expected.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!
    NJPW Threads
    General Discussion - NJPW The New Beginnings Tour 2019 - Beginners Guide To New Japan - NJPW Year-To-Year MOTY's

"You're not fighting the odds, Eddie. You're fighting me"

[Knockin' on Heaven's Door]

Status

If it weren't for Baszler/Bianca, this would have been an ROH/WWN supercard in past years. Crazy how much the industry has changed in such a short period of time.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Scumbag Role Model

Status
      Country                    United States

This card will probably over deliver. I like the addition Riddle/Ohno.

Also lol at Poppy. My wife likes that shit.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

The Planet's Admin

Status

Feels weird to not be getting Ricochet Vs Dunne when that felt like the natural direction when War Games ended.

At this point, Johnny must have the record for most Takeover matches right?

Mid-Card Champion

Status
      Country                    Ghana

Updated predictions

NXT Championship- Tommaso Ciampa (c) vs Aleister Black- WINNER: Still NXT Champion Tommaso Ciampa
    NXT North American Championship- Ricochet (c) vs Johnny Gargano- WINNER: New NXT North American Champion Johnny Gargano
    NXT Women's Championship- Shayna Baszler (c) vs Bianca Belair- WINNER: Still NXT Women's Champion Shayna Baszler
    NXT Tag Team Championship- O'Reilly and Strong (Undisputed Era) (c) vs War Raiders- WINNERS: New NXT Tag Team Champions The War Raiders
    (Grudge Match)- Matt Riddle vs Kassius Ohno- WINNER: Matt Riddle

Curtain Jerker

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Gyimah View Post
    Updated predictions

NXT Championship- Tommaso Ciampa (c) vs Aleister Black- WINNER: Still NXT Champion Tommaso Ciampa
    NXT North American Championship- Ricochet (c) vs Johnny Gargano- WINNER: New NXT North American Champion Johnny Gargano
    NXT Women's Championship- Shayna Baszler (c) vs Bianca Belair- WINNER: Still NXT Women's Champion Shayna Baszler
    NXT Tag Team Championship- O'Reilly and Strong (Undisputed Era) (c) vs War Raiders- WINNERS: New NXT Tag Team Champions The War Raiders
    (Grudge Match)- Matt Riddle vs Kassius Ohno- WINNER: Matt Riddle
    This card does feel a bit predictable to me, but i'm still really hyped for it! The takeovers have always delivered ever since I've started watching them, and when Gargano and Ricochet was announced, I nearly lost my mind. That match should be amazing, given Gargano's body of work with his matches with Aleister Black, Velveteen Dream, and of course, Tommaso Ciampa, I would not be surprised if we end up getting one of the top 10 WWE matches of the year.

Thread Information