Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: WWE NXT TakeOver: Phoenix - Jan. 26, 2019 - Card & Discussion

The Planet's Admin

Status
      Country                    England

Re: WWE NXT TakeOver: Phoenix - Jan. 26, 2019 - Card & Discussion

Tag - The tag formula is still an area that NXT really succeeds with me, both at Blackpool and tonight I feel like they're the matches where the aim was to have a great match and it delivered. I like War Raider's well enough when they were in ROH, but I hadn't really gotten into them in WWE before tonight. Along with their entrances, and Hanson's moments of shine, I think they really put these guys over strong tonight and it worked.

Riddle/Ohno - I'm biased because I love both dudes, but they again had a very good match and a breath of fresh air on a takeover match of not outstaying your welcome. In half the time of Gargano/Ricochet they had a better match without sacrificing the story they were telling. Tapping out because you can't take anymore of the elbows before a referee calls it off is a hell of a finish, Ohno has selflessly put Riddle over strong in these 3-0 victories.

Ricochet/Gargano - Halfway through this match I had no big complaints other than Gargano being surprised that Ricochet, a man he's known for 10 years, would counter flip out of big moves like a rana like he does every match. The action was good and the melodrama was low. And then Johnny lifts up the protective mat and again has an internal dilemma about how far he should push himself, do I want to be this man?, does he want to be like Ciampa, the same thing we've been dealing with since Chicago and my eyes rolled so fucking hard into the back of my head because I knew they couldn't just do a straight up Gargano match. Then they swerve us with Johnny not being that guy only 5 minutes later to yes indeed he is that guy by using the exposed concrete. The action was fine but the storytelling as much as I know what they're going for, isn't for me, Gargano is a broke character for me now.

Shayna/Belair - Is it harsh too call this the weakest ever womens singles Takeover match? I think Shayna's matches work best when her opponent is inherently likeable, and to me there's nothing likeable from a character standpoint about Belair 2 weeks into her babyface turn. She's still the same cocky, Sasha Banks lite wrestler bragging about being the best and being undefeated even though we all saw her lose in the MYC to Kairi. The terrible horsewomen had 2 bites of the cherry with the interference and failed, no babyfaces came out to make the save even though we know Kairi was at the event, and I hated how long she survived the choke. It wasn't shit, but I can't call it good and that's bad considering the standard of NXT

Ciampa/Black - I liked the match and really liked Black's performance with the leg selling. I just wish there wasn't finisher overkill at the end.

So-So Takeover. I think they did a good job with Riddle and War Raiders, but cementing that Gargano and Ciampa are still on top of this brand in 2019 and not even close to on their way out is so fucking tiring for me. They are the reason I don't watch the TV show weekly and now them being aligned again is just going to start a whole new chapter.
    Last edited by Ed; 01-27-2019 at 08:30 AM.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

Ugh, fuck that women's match. Worst thing I've seen in ages and easily the worst Takeover match ever. Shayna sucks, Belair sucks as a face and the two horsewomen (who also suck) can't even do interference properly. Terrible.

Rest of the show was pretty good and I didn't even have as much of an issue with "conflicted" Gargano as some, though I can see how it can be off-putting. Tag match was my MOTN but, like Ed, I also really dug Riddle/Ohno.

Ask Fuji|2019 Movie Log

Help decide WC's Fave Five Al Pacino Movies~!

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

The Undisputed ERA (Kyle O'Reilly & Roderick Strong) (c) vs. War Raiders (Hanson & Rowe)

Yet another good opener by The Era. They did a pretty good job at cutting War Raiders off and slowing them down by attacking the legs like only they can. They also did some very smart wrestling, coming in attacking the other when they looked like they were gonna get a tag, hit some double team moves and generally covered for each other well. War Raiders did some impressive acrobatics but other than that, I feel like they didn’t contribute much. Maybe the entrance. ***

Kassius Ohno vs. Matt Riddle
    This was pretty damn great. Loved Ohno in this match. Rolling back the clock to when he was the best wrestler in the world. Delivered some nasty, stiff strikes, totally taking it to Riddle, busting him open in the process. Working snug is the way to go with modern day Ohno. That apron spot was really clever too. Riddle was great at working off Ohno. Some of his counters looked really good and the submission attempts were well done. Riddle’s gonna be a star. I feel like this could've been better but I'm not gonna complain because the match we got was awesome. ***1/2

WWE NXT North American Title Match - Ricochet (c) vs. Johnny Gargano
    This was one of those matches that would either deliver a ton or absolutely bomb. And I feel like it was the latter, if I’m honest. This match failed to connect with me. It was just SO dull. So, so dull. None of the action was entertaining, not the flips, not the submission attempts, not Gagrano's mat thing. Nothing. I would got as far as to say that I hated this match quite a lot by the end and after reflection, it's even worse. 1/4*

WWE NXT Women's Title Match - Shayna Baszler (c) vs. Bianca Belair
    I really loved this match. Shock, it’s Baszler, of course I love it. Belair came out of this looking great. ***1/4

Tommaso Ciampa (c) vs. Aleister Black
    I really, really enjoyed this match. Loved Ciampa’s work on the leg of Black. The dragon screws looked horrible, wouldn’t have surprised me if he actually broke Black’s leg lol. The pacing of the match was a breath of fresh air. It never had a forced epic feel to it like the other Ciampa title defenses. Everything felt organic and sure of the moment. In saying that, the kick outs at the end were OTT and given how they happened in nearly every match on the show before this, made me feel completely numb towards them. Very little drama there. That’s more on the show than the match but it did harm it for me. ***1/2

Last edited by MC 16; 01-27-2019 at 10:13 AM.

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Didn't get the chance to watch it live last night so a few notes after catching up with it this mornign

War Raiders/Undisputed Era - Really fun match and the best choice to open things up. I suspected that War Raiders would take the titles here and most likely a rematch will take place in New Jersey, which will also serve as the Undisputed Era's final NXT appearance. They feel main roster bound now. Also where was Cole? I didn't see the preshow so did something happen with him? Was surprised to not see him come out with them like Bobby did.

Riddle/Ohno - Solid match here too. I didn't see the New years episode so i'm not sure how this mach compares to that one, but i enjoyed it. Loved the finish, defo unexpected but I loved it. Interesting to see where they go with Matt Riddle now, this feud is all but surely over and Ohno will no doubt drop down the ranks once again.

Gargano/Ricochet - Yet another really fun high impact match up. Even after all these years i'm still astounded by Ricochet's athleticism, the counter flip from the top rope and the flip over the corner to the outside were ridiculous stuff. Dude is just so much fun to watch in the ring. "tortured/conflicted" Gargano is a pretty shit character considering where Gargano was a year ago but in a weird way i love it . Its reaching "its so bad its good levels for me". I can certainly get behind him as the NXT NA champ for a few months (he certainly needed a huge Takeover win after the year he's had). I also wonder how many DIY teases we get between now and April.

Belair/Bazsler - GOAT outfit from BelAir. Defo the weakest match of the night but certainly not a bad match in any sense. If she's treated correctly BelAir will be a star one day, the way she's picked up werestling is nothing short if incredible and she has so much natural charisma. Most comfortable athlete i've seen come out of the performance center since Charlotte. As for Shayna, I truly have done a 180 on her in the last year. She's been a highlight of the womens division (hell NXT as a whole) and it wouldn't surprise me if she goes up post Mania. I do wonder where that would leave Shafir & Duke who are pretty much nobodies without her but are not main roster ready by any sense. I guess they won't be missed on NXT so fuck it send them up with her. As for New Jersey, i'm guessing Shayna/Io will be the womens match there with Io dethroning her. Also....FEMALE REF BUMP. EQUALITY HAS BEEN REACHED!

Black/Ciampa - Good stuff once again (although it felt a little slow at times), the leg work throughout was good and sold pretty well by Black (Seth Rollins take notes pls). Biggest suprise here for me was that Ciampa actually won clean. I was certain we would see Gargano come out to cost Black the title and further tease the DIY reunion. In a sense its better that things didn't go down that way because it would have taken away from all the good storytelling both men did with Black's injured Leg. Interesting to see where both men go from here. I reckon Black has one more Takeover match in him before he's sent up too while the Ciampa/Gargano arc still feels like it has some legs.

All in all, not the best Takeover we've seen but far from the worst. Every match delivered in the way it should have.

Be The Booker

Status
      Country                    Greece

Should we be expecting to see Black in the Rumble match now?

Spoiler:

#WC4Horsemen

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Quote Originally Posted by RED View Post
    Should we be expecting to see Black in the Rumble match now?
    I was thinking that after how their match ended. I think its a good shout right now.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

War Raiders vs. Undisputed Era – Is the NXT Tag Team Titles the best championship in WWE history? It’s getting boring watching them have all these great matches every Takeover. Whoever is agenting these Takeover tag matches needs a big pay rise. Great stuff. Love Strong and O’Reilly, definitely the two best guys in Undisputed Era for me. I thought they did a great job of making War Raiders look unstoppable and this is the sort of match you could show to anyone and they’d instantly get what the War Raiders are all about. ****

Riddle vs. Ohno – This had two really unique things to it. First of all, I don’t remember ever seeing someone working over the toe of someone else. Secondly, the finish was super creative. If they aren’t going to push Ohno, then I think this is a perfect use of him in that Tyler Breeze gatekeeper role, and I really enjoyed this. ***1/4

Ricochet vs Johnny Gargano – Ricochet reminds me of Teddy Hart. Just because you can doesn’t mean you should. I get that his whole schtick is that he is a flippy dude who does shit that nobody else can do, and his stuff is fucking remarkable athleticism. But this isn’t my kind of match. Plus it also had even more obnoxious Gargano drama. **

Baszler vs Belair – I thought this was a lot of fun that played to the strength of both of them. The horsewomen suck though. ***

Black vs Ciampa – Black is a really fun wrestler to watch. I thought he was excellent and this was another Ciampa title match I liked. The leg work and selling was superb, and Ciampa is starting to warm to me again, he plays a very convincing despicable heel. Keep Ciampa away from Johnny because his non-Gargano defences have been stellar. ***3/4

Low end Takeover but still a fun show, and a low end Takeover is still better than most WWE PPVs.

30 Days of WC Member's Choice - Coming Soon - PM me match suggestions

Shock Reviews Archive

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

t h e o g

Status
      Country                    Canada

Had to bail and go to work just as the main event was starting. I'll be watching it later today. Sounds like it was entertaining enough.

Haven't seen anyone mentioning the post match stuff on the entrance way though. Did they air that or are they saving it for TV?

Firefly Fun House

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Beast View Post
    https://www.wwe.com/videos/huge-braw...ve-jan-26-2019

Don’t know if this has been posted anywhere, but WWE released this video of a brawl after Takeover went off the air.
    Man Black still selling the fuck outta that leg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

WAKE UP

Status

people are saying Black did a good job selling the leg injury? really? he spent the rest of the match doing kicks, knees and flips. his big comeback spot was a running, jumping kick for fucks sake. dude was complete dogshit in that match

overall a decent show but I thought it started with the best match the quality went down through the card

TUE vs War Raiders was a typically really good TUE tag and this showed you can plug in a pretty mediocre tag team against them and it'll still be good. Hanson has some cool athletic big man spots and works as an actual wildman, Rowe sucks though. Still a really good match.

Riddle vs Ohno was a WWE-ified, lesser version of their EVOLVE matches, which is still a good thing in my books. They hit each other hard, Ohno put Riddle over, there was some gross foot-biting, good stuff. That sleeper suplex bump was nasty.

I actually enjoyed the Gargano vs Ricochet a lot more than I was expecting and this was way better than any match they'd have in EVOLVE or PWG or whereever. But I'd agree with Ed, the Shawn Michaels weepy emo WWE storyline booking at the end was so lame. I have come to like Gargano but I am kind of sick of him on every Takeover.

Shayna vs Belair was def the weakest women's TakeOver match in ages. Shayna is one of the few WWE women who can bring actual heat to a match, and I dug the hair spots, but the Horseman stuff is real stinky and Belair looked really green at points. Using shoulderblocks and a spear as your comeback run after your opponent literally was working your shoulder felt almost intentionally stupid. As an aside, I have no idea why everyone wants this Horsewomen vs Horsewomen programme to happen, Shafir and Duke were absolute nobodies in MMA and they so far both still suck at wrestling.

Main event felt like one guy working a really good, smart match, and one guy taking a big steaming dump all over it. The spot with Black taking 2 finishers then breaking out to hit a kick was also so bad. Bad match, worst of the night.

With all the new guys coming in the really need to make room to freshen these shows up.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status
      Country                    United States

That brawl after the show went off the air was fun too. I love how much Ciampa was clutching on to Goldy the whole time on stage with a look of stress of anyone coming near him or Goldy.

Rest in power, Flock U

Team Cyrus T is Best for Business

Quote Originally Posted by Ed
    Stop the hating of the E-Feds. If you don't like something, that's fine, just ignore it and let the people who do enjoy what they're here on WC to do. Mocking them to make you feel less of a geek for being on a geek on a wrestling forum is lame. If you want to not read their posts, I can fix that for you.

[Knockin' on Heaven's Door]

Status

Enjoyed the tag match & Riddle/Ohno a lot. I see a lot of people appreciating the finish to Riddle/Ohno, but the video package before really highlighted how good this feud has been to intro Riddle. First match showed he could win suddenly, second showed he could counter, third showed he could survive then out-brutalise Ohno. Properly self-less stuff from Ohno.

I liked Gargano/Ricochet enough, but I can totally see why it'd put people off.

Weak women's match, but I liked the character stuff enough to give it a pass. Neither is good enough to carry a match yet, so it was arguably to soon to run this. Leave the rematch to Brooklyn/wherever Summerslam is this year and build up Bel-Air learning from her inexperience.

Liked the main, but hated the finisher overkill at the end.

Overall, liked the show, but the Takeover standard is so high this was a bit of a let down. First time in a while I'm thinking the main roster may actually out-do NXT on one of these weekends!

Thread Information