Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: WCW 1996 - The Birth of the NWO

Jam Up Guy

Status

Re: WCW 1996 - The Birth of the NWO

Okay, bud, let's get caught up here. I'd fallen a couple of shows behind which meant catching up was easier said than done, especially as I didn't just want to skim and miss anything (especially when my favourite parts of this thread are often the small touches). I'll summarise my overall thoughts as no-one wants to read 3 shows of feedback in one go...

Firstly, the announcer stuff at the start of the shows is still fantastic, and an easy highlight of the whole thread. In fact, I don't think anyone is doing them better than you on here. The way you set up so much without really setting up anything concrete is just excellent. The only minor slip I saw was in having Bischoff kinda give away he knows more about the NWO than he's admitting to, which is a twist we don't need... yet. But then it had Heenan get concerned and set up the final angle of Nitro, so I won't complain too much.

The closing angle on Nitro was great. It's one of those awkward situations where it's (imo) one of the greatest angles ever done. Usually I want people to come up with their own stuff rather than just re-writing stuff that really happened, but this angle was such a big part of making the NWO a threat that I get why you kept it. I honestly didn't love the tweak of having Bagwell's comedy bit in there, as it didn't feel like the time for a joke. I thought it was GREAT as as line and a piece of characterisation, just the timing was off for me. That said, having Rey go through a WINDOW was a spectacular decision. Excellent stuff.

And as always, your ability to make Saturday Night entertaining without losing it's sense as a B show is second-to-none. Making it a preview show was great, and I love that the card is changing for the PPV because of that attack, makes it so much more important. And showing it again on the pre show is exactly the kind of thing you want. Intentionally ruining a PPV is ballsy, but you picked a good PPV as there isn't a paying audience, and you picked the right matches with the right changes to mean it doesn't matter too much. There's nothing which will make me appreciate a BTB more than having actions have consequences, and between the Saturday Night stand in match after the Steiner/Harlem Heat segment, and now this, you're doing it as well as anyone.

You've been getting the characterisation of your promos sounding great as well, I have to say. You must have been listening to people's promos to get them sounding so good, right? The Arn one in particular was simply fantastic, and I really loved fired up Sting on Saturday Night. And Savage is always great in this. As a quick thing on that Sting promo I just mentioned - Larry doubting him as a leader was brilliant.

Really liked the NWO paid advert, thought you made it work really well. I don't think you needed to air it twice (it's not like the Hogan heel turn where it's worth showing it over and over), but the actual content was good. I loved the Hogan "Giant is dumb" line too. There's never been anyone as terrible (and therefore great) at heel insults as Hogie.

Honestly, there wasn't really anything to comment on that I didn't like. I'm still not feeling the Blonds, but I've already shared that feedback so I wont bother repeating. There are a couple of tiny things, like Saturday Night being all in bold, or having one tag team called Yung 'n' Reckless and one called Rough 'n' Ready, but it's tiny stuff really. I'm still really enjoying this thread, I'm pumped for Hog Wild (even with the change in some of the matches - if anything that makes me like it even more), and I hope the addition to the family doesn't get in the way of you posting too much! Really glad I caught up before sending Wolfy my end of year awards votes as this thread is still one of my faves on here. Keep it up dude.

What A Maneuver!

Status
      Country                    United States

Some quick thoughts on Saturday Night. Really glad for you that you’re finally on the heels of Hog Wild. I know how much of a bitch writers block and life in general can be, so I’m glad you’re back writing. Now onto the show.

Really good start with commentary here. As always, it seems to be the standard bar that the commentary is REALLY good to kick things off. Bischoff adding extra security gives this show an authentic feel. JJ addressing everything at the start of the show was a nice touch too. You’ve done a great job building up the atmosphere for Hog Wild the night before.

Cool decision to add Chavo to the match. An Eddie/Chavo pairing not only adds to the tag team division, but will make for a great feud down the line.

Glad to see Eaton still on television, picking up a win. He is a guy you can plug and play anywhere in your lineup, and he always makes for great matches.

Great recap package, really hammering home how dangerous the nWo is. You’ve really done a great job setting the stage for the nWo to be a legit threat to the safety to everybody in WCW. I know it must be hard seeing that in real life, it was probably one of the best storylines ever done. However, adding you own personal spin on things has been nothing short of amazing so far.

Glad to see The Thrillseekers still seeking them thrills haha. A very solid tag team (obviously) that has a ton of potential. Very excited to see where they turn to next after tearing through the under card over the past month.

Overall man, this was a perfect hype show for Hog Wild. JJ Dillon making last minute changes was very well done and made everything feel real authentic and realistic. Really solid booking throughout, and I’m super pumped for Hog Wild. Awesome job on the show man!

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

Saturday Night being treated as a kick off show for the PPV makes sense. Right off the bat, as usual your commentary addresses exactly what it needs to in an enjoyable manner. Heenan fearing for his safety, only for Bischoff to mention the extra security and what not is a terrific way to sell the brutal ending of Nitro.

Following through on the events with JJ Dillon having to make the changes to the card is awesome as well. Duggan filling in for Konnan in the US Title match makes sense, and it’s smart booking in the sense that Konnan chases longer, in what has been a fun mid card angle. I honestly don’t know if the crowd would pop being all happy to see Konnan out and Duggan in though. Anderson getting the choice as to who will fill in for him is interesting. I’m assuming he won’t choose Benoit which will drive Benoit nuts after he was already pissed on Nitro. And the final change to the card, Eddie choosing Chavo makes sense, even if once again it’s a bit of a down grade. This segment needed to happen though, and you polished off perfectly with the Bagwell stuff. Hilarious that this guys trying to fake the minor sprain as a major injury. Very good stuff here.

I like the added detail of constantly mention the bikers. You’re really making this feel like Hog Wild, although I’m happy as fuck that I don’t have to hear that shit. Two people that nobody really cares about opening up the preshow is probably to be expected. Good win for Eaton.

ANOTHER segment dedicated to the crazy ending of Nitro with the video package… Awesome. You sure know how to make things feel like a big deal.

And a solid enough main event, and good to keep The Thrill Seekers ticking along. Not much else to say really, although I did enjoy their slight change of behaviour to cater to the biker audience. That’s gold.

Obvious not much here which is to be expected but I’m definitely still doing my best to keep up with this one. Looking forward to the PPV.

Indy Talent

Status

Scotty Riggs vs. Buff Bagwell

The American Males were a tag team that all the ladies loved and they had one of the best theme songs in all of WCW. I mean, you know this is true, but I digress. Buff Bagwell began to become disinterested in teaming with Scotty Riggs and after weeks of forcing Riggs to essentially fight alone, Buff finally turned his back on his former partner. Bagwell then announced that he was to no longer be known as Marcus Bagwell, but will be known as Buff Bagwell. Buff “The Stuff,” as he likes to refer to himself, began to duck Scotty Riggas at every turn. After weeks of Bagwell getting out of matches with Riggs, JJ Dillon has declared that Buff Bagwell must show up at Hog Wild and face his former partner or face disciplinary actions.

#1 Contender’s Match for the WCW Tag Team Titles
    Faces of Fear vs. Road Warriors

The Faces of Fear were looking to make a statement and they did so at the Great American Bash when they defeated The Road Warriors and then destroyed the legendary Spikes of Hawk and Animal. Meng and Barbarian began showing up with the Spikes around their neck as necklaces. The Road Warriors were able to get a measure of revenge at Bash at the Beach by defeating The Faces of Fear, but Jimmy Hart was able to keep the Spike Necklaces in his possession. Hawk and Animal have vowed that they will get back their Spikes back and that they will have a way to neutralize Jimmy Hart. Who will win in this battle of Hoss tag teams?

Television Title Match
    Hugh Morrus © vs. ???

The TV title is on the line as the new champion, Hugh Morrus, is set to make his first title defense. We have seen a new side of Morrus over the last few weeks with a series of vignettes showing his search for Kevin Sullivan. Morrus was finally reunited with Sullivan and promptly won the TV Title, taking advantage of Arn Anderson’s pledge to defend the TV Title on every WCW TV show. We cannot forget that Morrus used Woman as a pawn in his, or we should say Sullivan’s, scheme to force Anderson to defend the title immediately after a tag team match. Chris Benoit demanded the match against Hugh, but Arn stepped in and stopped Benoit due to Benoit’s lack of focus. After the attack from the NWO last Monday, the challenger is up in the air. JJ Dillon has stated that Arn Anderson will choose his replacement. Clearly, Chris Benoit is going to want to have the match, but will Arn allow the hot-heated Benoit to try to win the gold back for the Horsemen?

Eddie Guerrero/Chavo Guerrero Jr. vs. Jerry Lynn/Dean Malenko ©

This match was supposed to have Rey Mysterio Jr. teaming with Eddie Guerrero, but Kevin Nash threw Rey through a plate-glass window. Needless to say, he will not be able to compete. This match was supposed to be for a shot at the Cruiserweight Title, where if Rey Mysterio’s team won the match, then Rey would get another chance at the Cruiserweight Title. Rey was unsuccessful in his debut match at Great American Bash and then was cheated out of his rematch at Bash at the Beach. Dean Malenko has gotten a protege in the form of Jerry Lynn, who is doing everything he can to make sure Dean Malenko stays the Cruiserweight Champion. Eddie Guerrero and Chavo Guerrero are fighting for the fallen Rey Mysterio Jr. in a match that is sure to steal the show. Will Eddie and Chavo defeat Lynn and Malenko and if they do, does that grant Mysterio Jr. a shot at the Cruiserweight Title?

United State Title Match
    Jim Duggan vs. DDP © w/ Ted Dibiase & VK Wallstreet

DDP unveiled his secret benefactor at the Great American Bash as Ted Dibiase. Ever since, Dallas has stated that he is the embodiment of what the American Dream is meant to be; fame, money, and power. This drew the ire of Konnan, the US Champion at the time, and Konnan faced off against DDP at the Bash at the Beach PPV. DDP was able to defeat Konnan with the help of Ted Dibiase. Konnan wanted a rematch, but Ted Dibiase placed a clause in the contract to prevent Konnan from getting an automatic rematch. Konnan had to earn the title match and did so after finally defeating The Great Muta, after Ted Dibiase paid Sonny Onoo a handsome sum of money to have Muta come in from Japan. The match was set for Hog Wild, but Konnan was attacked by the NWO and is out of action for an indefinite amount of time. Jim Duggan, who saved Konnan from a beating on Nitro, has been pegged as the replacement. If anyone knows what the American Dream means, it is the Old Glory, 2x4 welding Jim Duggan.

WCW World Tag Team Title Match
    The Steiner Brothers vs. Harlem Heat © w/ Sister Sherri & Bobby Walker

The World Tag Titles are on the line as the brother tag team of Harlem Heat defends against the brother tag team of The Steiner Brothers. Harlem Heat won the Tag Titles from Sting & Lex Luger and The Steiner Brothers at the Great American Bash in a Triangle Match when Booker T stole the victory from out underneath the Steiners. Fast-forward to Bash at the Beach and Harlem Heat walked out of their tag title match, losing the match but keeping their titles. The Steiners defeated Harlem Heat in a 8-man tag match on Nitro and this, combined with the way Harlem Heat kept their titles, convinced JJ Dillon that a rematch was warranted. Will The Steiner Brother win the Tag Gold in front of the bikers at Sturgis or will Harlem Heat find a way to keep their belts?

“Macho Man” Randy Savage vs. Lex Luger
    Special Guest Referee: Sting

Randy Savage does not trust anyone, but that goes without question. Lex Luger is still trying to be the best friend of Sting. Sting wants the two of them to unite and fight against the New World Order. Sting has pleaded with Randy and Lex to put all of their issues behind them, but the two cannot seem to do that. In response, JJ Dillon made the match for Hog Wild; Randy Savage vs. Lex Luger. However, JJ asked one favor of “The Man Called Sting.” He needed a man in the middle to make sure that this match is the end of the feud between Macho and Luger. Sting has asked a favor of JJ in return for being the referee in the match. Macho Man believes that the fix is in and tells Sting just as much. Will this be the final battle in the war between Savage and Lex or has the story just begun?

The Outsiders vs. The Hollywood Blondes

May 27th, 1996… the date that the entire wrestling world changed forever. That was the date that Scott Hall came over the barrier and declared WAR on World Championship Wrestling. Soon, Kevin Nash joined Scott Hall and formed the Outsiders. They challenged any 3 men in WCW to a match at Bash at the Beach. The challenge was accepted, but Hulk Hogan turned his back on WCW and more importantly, The Hulkamaniacs. One moment in that match that was not talked about as much was the return of Brian Pillman and Steve Austin, The Hollywood Blondes. Pillman and Austin joined the Four Horsemen and now have been challenged to prove themselves against Hall and Nash. Now, after the attack to fellow Horsemen, Arn Anderson, the Blondes are more determined to ever to not just prove their worth as Horsemen, but to take out the Outsiders.

WCW World Heavyweight Title Match
    Hollywood Hogan vs. The Giant ©

The wrestling world was shaken to its core when Hulk Hogan turned his back on everyone in Daytona Beach at Bash at the Beach. The Leg Drop heard ’round the World as some people are calling it was the end of Hulkamania and the man that destroyed Hulkamania was the man that created it, Hulk Hogan. Hogan became Hollywood Hogan with one drop of his leg and the WCW World Heavyweight Champion took notice. “Mean” Gene Okerlund interviewed many of Hogan’s old friends and rivals and with each interview, The Giant chokeslammed his way through each one of Hogan’s acquaintances. The NWO laid The Giant out with the Big Gold Belt on an episode of Monday Nitro and this led to The Giant to challenge Hollywood to a match at Hog Wild. The Giant knew that the only way that Hogan would accept the match would be to put up the World Title. So, the stage is set… The biggest match in the history of WCW… The Giant vs. Hollywood Hogan for the WCW World Heavyweight Championship. Will The Giant defend his title, and more importantly the honor of WCW, or will Hollywood Hogan rip the most prized possession away from WCW?

1. Predict the match order
    2. Predict the winner of each match
    3. Will Buff Bagwell get his doctor’s note
    4. If Buff doesn’t have to compete, who will replace him
    5. Who will replace Arn Anderson in the TV Title Match

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

Oh hey, happy to see that will be getting to see Hog Wild at some point. Next time give us a prediction template though you lazy shit, that way I can just copy and paste and, uh, keep being a lazy shit.

Anyway, onto predictions:

Buff is the guy getting pushed here, so he shows up, and probably even with some shenanigans, he beats his former partner.

These teams are tied at 1 win a piece and I think the Road Warriors get the deciding victory here. I think I’d prefer Faces of Fear to win (they’re awesome), but with Hart still in possession of the spikes, this is set up for the good guys to come out on top. I’m guessing Paul Ellering might be what The Roadies have to neutralise Jimmy.

Television Title Match
    Hugh Morrus © vs. ???

Whoever it is, Morrus beats, but I don’t think it will be Benoit. I’m going with Mongo McMichael, and then Morrus looks to do some severe damage on him or Double A, until Benoit makes the save.

The match was supposed to be Eddie and Rey teaming, but then your graphic is a picture of Chavo and Rey. I just find that funny more than anything else… Anyway, I think the Guerrero’s find a way to get the win here, which will allow for them to potentially eventually be salty, when Mysterio gets another shot and finally beats Malenko. Lynn to take the fall here as well because protégés are great fodder in these types of scenarios.

United State Title Match

Whilst the booking has been solid enough, Duggan is always just a filler challenger here. DDP holds onto the title until at least whenever Konnan manages to get himself another shot.

WCW World Tag Team Title Match

I’d just like you to strike while the iron is hot. Steiner’s in 96 are awesome.

I’m going Luger to win when Sting tries to stop him from doing something shady, but somehow accidentally costs Savage. I also think it will only get darker between these 3 before any of them can focus on the NWO.

Still a bit too soon for The Outsiders to lose for me, so they don’t.

Ditto my comments regarding The Steiners. Strike whilst the iron is hot. The NWO are the hottest thing in the game and they should rightfully rule the land. I expect shenanigans galore here as well, but Hogan gets the title.

Really looking forward to the show mate. Post it before next year.

Curtain Jerker

Status

Glad to see some action here. I'll throw out some predictions in my predicted match order.

Starting off the show with cruiserweight action is a must in WCW, right? I feel like the stipulation for this match should be defined prior to the match happening in terms of how it will effect a Mysterio title shot or not...but hey, it's WCW. I think the more interesting result is the Guererros picking up the win on behalf of Rey, so I'll go with that.

I'll say Bagwell is forced to compete here and cheats his way to victory. He has the higher ceiling and was still pretty decent back then prior to his neck injury.

I do love the simplistic old school feud here involving the Road Warriors spikes. So kudos for this story. And in keeping with the old school nature, it only makes sense to me for the faces to win the rubbert match and get them spikes back.

Television Title Match
    Hugh Morrus © vs. ???
    This should be itneresting - I don't see Morrus dropping the belt so quickly. Mongo isn't around in this BTB and was never part of the Horsemen here - leaving Benoit or Arn as really the only answers I can think of as options. I'll go with Benoit demanding it but maybe getting himself DQ'd due to his hotheadedness to allow Morrus to retain.

Steiners would probably be my preferred choice here but if the Road Warriors are the number one contenders in my earlier predictions - it probably makes more sense for Harlem Heat to win.

United State Title Match
    I'm a fan of Ted DiBiase answering the unanswered angle of DDP's mystery benefactor. Much better use of DiBiase versus how he actually was used in WCW. No way Duggan wins here.

One thing I wasn't a huge fan of in this BTB was Austin coming back to WCW already, just doesn't seem plausible in any scenario. That being said, Blondes are always a fun team. But unfortunately it would be a mistake for The Outsiders to lose here, I think.

Probably the hardest to pick as it could go either way, I think. Sting's role here will be most interesting - I expect shenanigans of some sort, but maybe Sting stopping Luger from cheating will lead to Savage being able to capitalize.

Don't think there is any other result - this is the nWo's time and for them to be the dominant group they have to be, Hogan needs the title. Giant gets royally screwed in an overbooked mess is my prediction.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread Information