Thread: Ilja Dragunov

MADMIN KING

Status
      Country                    England

Ilja Dragunov

Wasn't going to nominate this guy so early because of how little even I have seen of him, but in my viewing of the 2015 16 Carat tournament weekend, Ilja has a title match with Bad Bones that could pass for the quality of match he'd have today where his body is just flung around like a weapon, so physically reckless, desperate to prove his toughness and becoming a cult hero in the company. After watching that and discovering that he's gonna have gems as far back as 2015, then I guess he's gonna be in contention for my list.

I think Ilja is one of the most unique and engaging babyfaces out there through his in-ring work, I am forever rooting for him to get through these battles with bigger wrestlers and come out with the victory. I'm pretty sure everyone taking part in the list will of seen the Walter match from 2017, but it's his matches with guys I'm not particularly high on like Bad Bones and Avalanche where I come away thinking he's a special talent. Given he's now finally talking bookings in the UK, and presumably in bed with NXT, I think he'll be more accessible to folks this year.

Anyway, I wanted a thread on him because I wanted somewhere to gush while I watch his old performances.
    Last edited by Ed; 01-03-2019 at 06:39 PM.

The Flow

Status
      Country                    Canada

Re: Ilja Dragunov

I haven't seen enough of his work besides some choice stuff you and Nicky have provided but I'm definitely going to check more of Dragunov out.

The only time WWE came close to a good story line post Attitude Era was Undertaker/Mordecai - Dakstang
    [06:01 PM]Dakstang
    :
    Yeah I guess you are right. And I only want to be Daddy to my own kids. Sorry.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    China

I am fully on board with a Dragunov deep dive. I can't wait to see more of his 2015 & 16. He currently has to be considered one of the best babyfaces in wrestling for sure right now.
    As long as you remember me, I will always live within you. Not as a phantom limb or a phantom anything...As part of your heart. I will always be your angel of peace. So I know exactly how to finish...

Say..."Peace".

Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Dylan Fox (me) & Cagematch.net boss STRIGGA)

Check out our Patreon and support me please? 1/3/5 dollar tiers but any one is good! - The Eastern Lariat

Scumbag Role Model

Status
      Country                    United States

I need to do an Ilja deep dive. Surprised I haven’t already. He’s already a lock for his 2017 and 18.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

MADMIN KING

Status

I just watched a match he had with Ciampa at Dead End 2015 and it's an absolute banger of a match. Not too long, only about 10 minutes but it's really stiff and it's one of the more impressive heel performances I've seen Ilja put on with some crowd mocking and great facials. One thing I've noticed about Ilja's 2015 is the torpedo Moscow headbutt not only isn't his finish, it's not even a closing stretch move, he just uses it in the opening couple of minutes from what I've seen so far. His finisher at this point appears to be a lariat; the Russian Stan Hansen. It loses some originality, but I can't say I mind the change, the torpedo moscow can be really inconsistent in how it comes off as a legit finish to a match.

MADMIN KING

Status

Ok so the Ilja gets his chest destroyed thing started long before the Walter Carat Final; a scar across his chest that I had assumed came from 2017 was present in 2015 so I don't know how long he's had that fucking thing. I watched a GREAT fucking match with him from 2015 against his career rival Bad Bones from some single camera show for the shotgun title where they're trading chops and Ilja's pale skin starts flaking off again.

WAKE UP

Status

anyone got any new Ilja recs? Have enjoyed the matches I've seen against WALTER, just watched the Sekimoto match from this years 16CG and thought it was pretty good. Has he even wrestled for many feds outside wXw?

MADMIN KING

Status

Have you seen his two matches with Thatcher this year? one for Progress one for wXw? I really enjoyed the wXw one.

I loved the Lucky Kid match too but you won't like it.

I hope he doesn't finish up with wXw anytime soon now he's in NXT UK.

WAKE UP

Status

I'll have to find the Thatcher matches, has he been with PROGRESS much? did anything come from his PWG shows last year?

MADMIN KING

Status

He debuted against Dunne at Wembley which wasn't too good. He makes infrequent appearances.

I think he just worked 2 nights of BOLA and that was it. Both good matches though.

Scumbag Role Model

Status

He was one of the better BOLA performers on the weekend imo.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

Scoundrel

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    He debuted against Dunne at Wembley which wasn't too good
    It was good from memory (although admittedly I haven't rewatched the Wembley show yet). Ilja vs Chris Brookes in the 1st round of SSS16 was enjoyable too. Second round match vs Trevor Lee was a non-event (I think Ilja was banged up from the Brookes match). Wasn't there for Day 3 so obviously haven't seen the triple threat yet but I'd imagine it will be worth watching.
    Last edited by Regal or Riot; 05-11-2019 at 08:09 PM.

King EC

Status

Ed, do you happen to have a top matches list of some sort for Ilja? I've probably only seen him 5 times max so I definitely need to do some more research on him before the end of the year.
    ​​​​​​​​ 2019 King of Wrestling Clique

HOW ABOUT YOU READ THESE THINGS?

WC's Greatest Superstars in WWE History
    Burn It Down!: The Top 25 Matches of Seth Rollins' Career
    Spoiler:

MADMIN KING

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The EC View Post
    Ed, do you happen to have a top matches list of some sort for Ilja? I've probably only seen him 5 times max so I definitely need to do some more research on him before the end of the year.
    From the top of my head:

Anytime he wrestled WALTER one on one (so 2017 Carat final, True Colours 2018, Superstars of Wrestling 2018 and just faced him at the last Progress show which I've yet to watch)
    Vs Walter and Bad Bones at 2018 Carat
    Vs Bad Bones at the 2017 wXw Anniversary show
    Vs Thatcher from wXw at the start of this year
    w/Starr Vs Walter and Thatcher from 2018 fan appreciation show

and apparently the Jordan Devlin match from two weeks ago in Progress was very good too, I'll get around to watching them tonight I think. His NXT UK run so far is just squash matches unfortunately, doesn't appear to be on the takeover card at all either.

MADMIN KING

Status

Ok, so Ilja/Walter was fantastic and the Progress MOTY so far.

Stylebender

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Become quite a fan of Dragonov. First saw him at ICW Square Go against Joe Coffey, had the best match in ICW for a while.

A R S E N A L
    Football Manager 20: Bundesliga 2019/2020 Onwards - Non-BTB Section

MADMIN KING

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Chaddes View Post
    Become quite a fan of Dragonov. First saw him at ICW Square Go against Joe Coffey, had the best match in ICW for a while.
    Interesting, didn’t know he showed up there. Best ICW match feels like a low bar, but I’ll try to check it out.

WAKE UP

Status

Watched the Thatcher vs Ilja matches and thought they were pretty middle of the road, certainly not top-of-the-pack Thatcher matches and I thought Ilja was kinda mediocre in them. The tiger feint into a lariat spot is a good idea but his execution more often than not leaves a lot to be desired and makes it look too goofy. Actually his execution on a lot of things leaves room for improvement, but that's not **too** much of a problem when his strength is taking a colossal ass-kicking and being a fired up babyface.

However the No Holds Barred match with Bad Bones is really good and it felt like an Ilja carryjob (Klinger is a load). He bled a tonne, ate lots of nasty, violet shit, ad generally gave a really good fired up, bloody babyface performance.

Recent WALTER vs Ilja match from PROGRESS was great also.

I have no desire to deep-dive wXw but if someone wants to keep throwing up rec's, I'll watch them.

Thread Information