Country                    England

Re: All Elite Wrestling Discussion Thread

I have a soft spot for the Soaring Eagle period too

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

THE HEARTBREAK KID

Status
      Country                    Portugal

I think it's safe to assume that Dark Order being good is a majority unpopular opinion. I'd say it's a possible shout for worst ever serious creation and it will take some absolute genius from Brodie to bring it around, and I don't think Vince impressions are going to do that somehow but, maybe I'm wrong.

I also liked the Swagger period where he was with Cesaro & Colter, and even when he first became the World Champion. He then fucked it from there, sadly. in AEW as the silent bodyguard bad-ass he's found his calling alongside the star in Jericho.

Run

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Deco90 View Post
    I think it's safe to assume that Dark Order being good is a majority unpopular opinion. I'd say it's a possible shout for worst ever serious creation and it will take some absolute genius from Brodie to bring it around, and I don't think Vince impressions are going to do that somehow but, maybe I'm wrong.
    Personally, I like the talent involved (Brodie & the SSB can all go, Beaver Boys are good enough too). It's just the gimmick that's death unfortunately.

Friendship King

Status
      Country                    Australia

I admittedly don't run too far into the discussion threads, but I don't see what's bad about them. It's a good heel tactic premise - overwhelming others via sheer numbers - that logically explains why there's so many of them utterly devoted into throwing their bodies in front of Uno or Greyson - because it's a cult full of brainwashed dudes - and every cinematic promo has delved deeper and deeper into the thing.

The's only real mistep I can think of is the awkward missed punches from a creeper that, while still very awkward, was later corrected in-universe as a stooge who was in over his head and was having second thoughts. They fixed a botch instead of pretending it never happened, acknowledged something they caught a lot of shit about and turned it into another piece of the story. Which I loved.

I know it's rather 'out-there' as a gimmick, but ever since falling in love with a literal dragon, a time-traveller, a reptilian snake people tribe from the bowels of the earth, and everything that Matanza was from Lucha Underground, I've found myself longing for gimmicks that are, well, gimmicky. Ideas that go full-throttle with it, expand it into something with depth, and make it fun viewing that works within the universe the show sets itself in. I dunno. At least there's a lot of room on this mountain I've chosen to die on.

Spoiler:

I'm not good at signatures.

THE HEARTBREAK KID

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Smooth Jazz Wolf View Post
    I admittedly don't run too far into the discussion threads, but I don't see what's bad about them. It's a good heel tactic premise - overwhelming others via sheer numbers - that logically explains why there's so many of them utterly devoted into throwing their bodies in front of Uno or Greyson - because it's a cult full of brainwashed dudes - and every cinematic promo has delved deeper and deeper into the thing.

The's only real mistep I can think of is the awkward missed punches from a creeper that, while still very awkward, was later corrected in-universe as a stooge who was in over his head and was having second thoughts. They fixed a botch instead of pretending it never happened, acknowledged something they caught a lot of shit about and turned it into another piece of the story. Which I loved.

I know it's rather 'out-there' as a gimmick, but ever since falling in love with a literal dragon, a time-traveller, a reptilian snake people tribe from the bowels of the earth, and everything that Matanza was from Lucha Underground, I've found myself longing for gimmicks that are, well, gimmicky. Ideas that go full-throttle with it, expand it into something with depth, and make it fun viewing that works within the universe the show sets itself in. I dunno. At least there's a lot of room on this mountain I've chosen to die on.
    Hey, man, I loved Lucha Underground too Haha!

And if these guys were in LU, with the way they shot and presented things, maybe I'd like them too- But this was a company that was touting they were bringing a real sports like presentation, I believe? I mean, that's not the Dark Order by any stretch of the imagination.

It's all opinions and it's cool that you like them, but it's not for me. It's been goofy, corny and ultimately I don't even like the cast aside from Brodie and he's only just arrived.

In my opinion, AEW are GREAT when they do AEW things.. AEW to me suffer when they try and do WWE things, their own way. Hopefully that makes sense.

Friendship King

Status
      Country                    Australia

Hey, man, I loved Lucha Underground too Haha!

And if these guys were in LU, with the way they shot and presented things, maybe I'd like them too- But this was a company that was touting they were bringing a real sports like presentation, I believe? I mean, that's not the Dark Order by any stretch of the imagination.

It's all opinions and it's cool that you like them, but it's not for me. It's been goofy, corny and ultimately I don't even like the cast aside from Brodie and he's only just arrived.

In my opinion, AEW are GREAT when they do AEW things.. AEW to me suffer when they try and do WWE things, their own way. Hopefully that makes sense.
    Ah. Y'know, I think I get it now. The whole 'real sports like presentation', yeah I can see how something like Dark Order wouldn't exactly be welcome for those who were looking for that real sports thing.

Fair enough, man. Cheers, thanks for the explanation. <3

Spoiler:

I'm not good at signatures.

THE HEARTBREAK KID

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Smooth Jazz Wolf View Post
    Ah. Y'know, I think I get it now. The whole 'real sports like presentation', yeah I can see how something like Dark Order wouldn't exactly be welcome for those who were looking for that real sports thing.

Fair enough, man. Cheers, thanks for the explanation. <3
    All good, SJW. It's all about opinions at the end of the day and I can certainly understand why you like them after reading what you said.

Also, I'm totally aware I say all this and have the Fiend in my sig

Status
      Country                    United States

Overall, my opinion of the Dark Order is good so far. I wasn’t big on them when they first appeared. But aspects of it has started to grow on me. When they started doing the vignettes, that was when they actually caught my attention. The #JoinDarkOrder campaign has been pretty entertaining at times. It reminds me of the marketing for Unitology in the Dead Space game series, which is all mimicking Scientology. They were always hinting at being an evil cult empire, and now with Brodie in charge they’re really driving that point home. So far I don’t mind the jabs at McMahon, but I hope they at some point move past it. One of my complaints is that Uno and Stu literally have no character. I guess that’s the point right? They’re just pawns in the exalted ones game. I get having the lower members not even have names, and basically being anonymous. But Uno and Stu should be allowed to cut a promo where they say more than just join us. I feel like there’s a lot of untapped potential with this gimmick. Like I liked when Silver and Reynolds were featured on BTE showing them as they were recruited, and how they felt about the things they were forced to do. It’s a shame stuff like that can’t make it onto an episode of Dynamite. Also, for boasting about strength in numbers, and being heels, they don’t really cheat or do anything despicable.

THE HEARTBREAK KID

Status

Random thought..

Can anyone else see a situation at some point where Cody is leading a new formation of the Four Horseman? Just got a feeling he's going to align with The Revival; maybe turning heel in the process. AEW often comes across like the Cody show in large periods and I can just see this happening. I can see him totally wanting to do something like this. Don't get me wrong; might be awesome! But, yeah.. I can see it.

Not sure if WWE still have the trademark mind.. I guess that could be the stumbling block.

Last Real Man Hype

Status

I can definitely see it happening and would welcome it after the he’s run out of mileage as a babyface, because I feel like he’s always a bit unlikable by default until he gets a firey promo or sacrifices himself for AEW.

If it’s Four Horsemen in spirit, I don’t care if they own the name. Don’t want them to get a rep of being unoriginal.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakstang
    You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

King EC

Status

I don't think the face side of the card is strong enough yet to have Cody go heel for a while. Even Moxley is clearly a step below him in terms of his overness with fans. But putting that aside, it isn't outside the realm of possibility. At some point down the line, someone is gonna defect from The Elite and form their own thing. That just seems inevitable.
    ​​​​​​​​ 2019 King of Wrestling Clique

HOW ABOUT YOU READ THESE THINGS?

Watching TNA's monthly PPVs from the start
    WC's Greatest Superstars in WWE History

Burn It Down!: The Top 25 Matches of Seth Rollins' Career

Run

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Peanutbutter View Post
    I don't think the face side of the card is strong enough yet to have Cody go heel for a while. Even Moxley is clearly a step below him in terms of his overness with fans. But putting that aside, it isn't outside the realm of possibility. At some point down the line, someone is gonna defect from The Elite and form their own thing. That just seems inevitable.
    Just curious , but how did you draw that conclusion when there's been no fans for months?

As for the topic, I could see it working. Shawn Spears could potentially be the fourth man, bringing Tully into the mix too.

King EC

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Postman Dave View Post
    Just curious , but how did you draw that conclusion when there's been no fans for months?

As for the topic, I could see it working. Shawn Spears could potentially be the fourth man, bringing Tully into the mix too.

Based on when there was fans. I'm pretty confident things would be no different now, if there were fans. Cody is the God of AEW's fanbase.
    ​​​​​​​​ 2019 King of Wrestling Clique

HOW ABOUT YOU READ THESE THINGS?

Watching TNA's monthly PPVs from the start
    WC's Greatest Superstars in WWE History

Burn It Down!: The Top 25 Matches of Seth Rollins' Career

Quote Originally Posted by Postman Dave View Post

I would say that it'd make zero sense for Spears to align with Cody after debuting with the company and smashing his BFF over the head with a chair, but this is the same company that built up to Cody wanting to end his brother's generation, then seconds after winning, fighting through tears asking him to be his partner in a tag match against his buddies. So yeah...makes total sense for AEW.

The best new Four Horsemen will always be a Four Horsemen that doesn't actually try to be the Four Horsemen. The Dangerous Alliance and Evolution were better than any 90s Horsemen because they didn't rely on some once popular name to get over, but instead followed the blueprints of what made the Horsemen great.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Random thought..

Can anyone else see a situation at some point where Cody is leading a new formation of the Four Horseman? Just got a feeling he's going to align with The Revival; maybe turning heel in the process. AEW often comes across like the Cody show in large periods and I can just see this happening. I can see him totally wanting to do something like this. Don't get me wrong; might be awesome! But, yeah.. I can see it.

Not sure if WWE still have the trademark mind.. I guess that could be the stumbling block.
    Cody seems to distance himself from Elite matters as far as AEW goes so I can buy it. I don't think him throwing up the 4 was unintentional either.

THE HEARTBREAK KID

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Marketh View Post
    I can definitely see it happening and would welcome it after the he’s run out of mileage as a babyface, because I feel like he’s always a bit unlikable by default until he gets a firey promo or sacrifices himself for AEW.

If it’s Four Horsemen in spirit, I don’t care if they own the name. Don’t want them to get a rep of being unoriginal.
    Yeah that's true! I guess wouldn't even need the name; just the sign would be enough if that's allowed. Saying that, Cody is so old school in his thinking.. I think he would want the name if at all possible. Just like the War Game concept.

Quote Originally Posted by MC 16 View Post
    Cody seems to distance himself from Elite matters as far as AEW goes so I can buy it. I don't think him throwing up the 4 was unintentional either.
    Right? I don't think so either; felt like he was testing the waters and reaction with that one.

Guess we will see. Interesting that I am not the only one thinking it could happen judging by the responses.

Cheers for answering, peeps

Page 51 of 51 FirstFirst ... 41495051

Thread Information