Thread: Will Ospreay

Scumbag Role Model

Status
      Country                    United States

Will Ospreay

Another interesting one to me. The guy practically broke out in 2015 with a pretty big year. He’s been fairly great at least every year since. What has made him great is not only his athleticism with it off the charts, but even with his style he finds a way to have a different feeling match with a variety of people like Fenix, Riddle, ZSJ, Kushida, WALTER, Marty. He’s a very impressive young man.

This is coming from a man who has never always really been on board. So it’s easy for me to say he has some problems. The overacting and the fake badassery in recent years is really off putting. It might be worse than someone like Gargano or Seth. Sometimes his offense can be straight up bad.

I’m a little perplexed where he would go but it wouldn’t feel right to leave him off.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    China

Re: Will Ospreay

I really don't think he's a good actor at all in ring & everyone goes to his dumbass screaming, when really his version of selling is to say "Hey look! I'm selling here! Look at me sell & be a good storyteller! AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH *is in a chinlock".

That said, of the hot & cold guys which I think he qualifies to be one of, he has probably the most complete resumé due to just how many different people he's worked and on top of that he's actively improved this year in a few areas, tweaking his moveset somewhat to tone down some problem areas (I'd prefer he drop the Vortex Kick & the Cheeky Nandos entirely) & got a much improved finish in the process. And I will say this, even in his bad stuff, I've never thought he didn't try hard, he was just misguided and I'm cautiously optimistic he's putting it together fully for 2019.

As of this second I could see him just missing it, but he's definitely in play, despite me being a big critic of his historically.

People's Champion

Status
      Country                    Wales

Add to that he is still learning the trade at 25 so you can give him little bits and pieces due to this.

My only real issue with Ospreay is he can be a little too flippy at times but due to his style it's what makes him...him.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    I have a plan so cunning......

Admin in Lockdown

Status
      Country                    England

I'm a big fan and probably will be the high voter.

Plus points:
    - One of the best in the world for athleticism, probably only top luchadors can touch him, but to pigeon hole him as a spotfest guy would be incorrect, I think the Ricochet gif situation made him a scapegoat for those hating on 'flippy dude' wrestling. It's funny people think he doesn't sell when those that watch him more regularly see he oversells more than undersells. He's a lot better with psychology and limb selling than people give him credit for
    - Remarkable success for someone so young. Steve mentioned it in the Zack thread about how Zack wasn't anywhere near impressive as he is now for the first half of his career and in most cases, that's typical of wrestlers that they are better in their late 20s/early 30s than they are in their early 20s rookie days. Will 'got it' early to the point where a few years into his career he's getting pushed hard in multiple UK promotions and being positioned as the star of this generation of British wrestlers.
    - Is a big reason why the UK scene got as hot as it did during this time period. When Progress and Rev-Pro were growing organically and were not promotions tainted by the bigger companies they have gotten into bed with, Will was one of the top featured acts in both feds and the scene missed him a lot when he went full time with New Japan. When the lads went over for BOLA one year, Will was the top act people wanted to see.
    - Over wherever he goes - UK, US, Japan, Australia, this guy wins people over through his matches. Japan took a while to get there, but they love him now.
    - Raises people's games. Just look at the Marty Scurll matches who is usually bang average with everyone else.
    - Has been elevated from Jr to Heavyweight really well (compared to others in NJPW) and looks set to have a big year that on paper is going to provide some incredible matches, starting with Ibushi at the dome. That could be a huge positive down the line if Ospreay does great in both Jr and Heavyweight divisions during this time period compared to people who have only done well in one and face the same selection of wrestlers year in year out.
    - Is influential already. Buddy Murphy has already copied several of his moves. That may or may not be a good thing in your eyes.
    - Has been a wrestler of the year contender in 2018

Cons (some of this is what I think others would find a problem with him, not what I have a problem with him):
    - He's not a very likable babyface, especially the older and more big headed he gets.
    - His in-ring style is going to be decisive and some people will just not like what he brings to the table.
    - His in-ring style is gonna catch up with him one day. I did not like him wrestling at mania weekend when his neck was fucked up.
    - His scream will put people off. I'm fine with it, I feel like he's the only wrestler not allowed to vocalise he's in pain, but I can understand it being a turn off for some
    - Boy oh boy were the recent Havoc matches a steaming pile of shit
    - If the heavyweight move doesn't work out he's going to be insufferable next year in New Japan which is going to hurt his standing on my list. That's a hypothetical though, I'm actually confident he's going to do well.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

He might be high on my list too, Ed. For me, Ospreay has been one of the standout juniors over the last few years - clearly NJPW sees something in him. His debut match with KUSHIDA was so good and i've been a fan ever since really. I don't really have much complaints about him other than his overacting being a tad cringy at times. Think he has been strong throughout his time in NJPW and the junior division would be very different without him as a performer too. I think his BOSJ final match with Taguchi is so, so underrated.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

WAKE UP

Status

Ospreay is meant to be a a heavyweight now? Certainly didn't look it in the Ibushi, both in terms of size and "getting it". The sequence with them both Billy Kidman-ing each others Powerbomb attempts was laughable. Atleast he kept the Davey Richards level acting to a minimum.

Admin in Lockdown

Status
      Country                    England

In fairness, have you seen modern New Japan heavyweights? It's not like anything Ospreay did today would look out of place if Omega did it in the main event.

I don't think you can book Ospreay/Ibushi for the first time at WK and not have them lean very heavily on their Jr stuff, that's what the fans wanted to see. Going forward for his title defences I would like to see Ospreay work with heavyweights that can't match him for athleticism so much, force his matches to be different.

WAKE UP

Status

Surprised there hasn't been more talk about Ospreay here. I mean, I'm not complaining, but for a guy who certain circles of the internet are claiming is WOTY I'd expect more talk.

Personally I'm a bit torn. He has enough match I've liked on paper to rank him, but they are far, far outweigh but the amount of stuff I disliked, and that stuff I REALLY hated, and I hate what he represents in modern wrestling. Plus his acting and facial expressions are Davey Richards level bad. I feel like I'll probably leave him off on principle.

Thread Information