Thread: MLB: Revisionist History

Mid-Card Champion

Status
      Country                    United States

MLB: Revisionist History

Hey all, this is a project I've thought a lot about. I have a MLB simulation program that will play the season(s) for me, managed by computer managers. I'll be completely hands off as far decision making for each team goes. I'll be playing the parts of reporter/announcer to see how close or far it stays to what really happened in each season. I'll pick and choose what I think are important nuggets to post throughout the season: Weekly/Season Awards, Notable Games/Performances, Injuries, Signings, Trades...etc. If I get enough interest, I do have the ability to have you vote on the Season ending Awards, MVP, Cy Young, etc, as well as Hall of Fame inductions. Hopefully, I keep this up on a week to week basis and if your a baseball fan or just a fan of history, you'll enjoy it as well.

I'm starting with the 1980 season, as it's the first season I paid attention to MLB and became a lifelong fan. Posts should start as the New Year begins.

Maple Leaf Muscle

Status
      Country                    Canada

Re: MLB: Revisionist History

Is this done with Out of the Park Baseball Manager by chance? Also, looking forward to it, go Jays!

What A Maneuver!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Bananas View Post
    Is this done with Out of the Park Baseball Manager by chance? Also, looking forward to it, go Jays!
    That game consumes me from about March thru August. Too addicting.

This looks pretty cool, will be following. Good luck!

Mid-Card Champion

Status

I do use OOTP, but not the Manager. I also have used Strat-O-Matic for other projects. I'm just trying to get some stuff in the bank before I start posting. Lets keep the expectations low...for now.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

I do love some baseball history and I started watching right around this time period as well so I'll be interested to see how this goes. Good luck!

Ask Fuji|2020 Movie Log

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

God's Gift to God

Status

This sounds cool. Will follow.

Mid-Card Champion

Status

Preseason Happenings:

Trades

The Pittsburgh Pirates have traded team stalwart Dave Parker to Kansas City for veteran C John Wathan and young SS Rance Mulliniks. The 28 yr old Parker is just two seasons removed from his MVP season. Last year’s Gold Glove winner at first base in the National League batted .310 with 25 homeruns and 98 RBI’s. The 30 yr old Wathan will begin the season as the starter, but has mainly been picked up to serve as mentor for the Pirates catcher of the future, Tony Pena, who is in his first season in the majors. The 23 yr old Mulliniks provides a good glove that can spell multiple positions in the infield.

Other Notable Trades:

Milwaukee Brewers trade C Charlie Moore to the Chicago Cubs for LHP Willie Hernandez and LF Carlos Lopez.

Houston Astros trade SS Craig Reynolds to the San Francisco Giants for RHP Greg Minton and RHP Angel Morales.

Philadelphia Phillies sent RHP Dick Ruthven to the Boston Red Sox for SS Rick Burleson and RHP Ken Lynch

Injury News:

Sad news out of Los Angeles, young pitching phenom, Fernando Valezuela has undergone surgery to remove bone chips from his elbow. He’ll be out 4 to 5 months.

Yankees veteran RHP Jim Kaat has suffered a strained shoulder in Spring Training and will be out at least 8 weeks.

Pirates 1B Mike Easler suffered a concussion early in Spring Training and will be out about 3 months.

Phillies RHP Dan Larson suffered a torn labrum and will be out 5-6 months.

Preseason Predictions:

The Baseball Writers Association of America (BBWAA) made their annual season picks. In the AL East, the Yankees were picked to win the pennant easily with their combination of hitting and pitching strength. 109 wins were predicted for the Bronx Bombers. The Texas Rangers were picked in the AL West.

Over on the Senior Circuit, The Montreal Expos were picked to scrape by the Pittsburgh Pirates in the NL East. While in the NL West, the Houston Astros were predicted to win comfortably with 101 wins.

The MVP top 5 picks in the AL are between NY’s Reggie Jackson, KC’s George Brett, Oakland’s Tony Armas, Milwaukee’s Ben Ogilve and Boston’s Jim Rice.

The NL top 5 MVP picks are between Philly’s Mike Schmidt, Pitt’s Mike Easler was picked before his concussion, San Franciso’s Jack Clark and Montreal has two players in Ellis Valentine and Andre Dawson.

The Cy Young picks in the AL are between NY’s quadruple threat of Ron Guidry, Tom Underwood, Rudy May and Rich Gossage. Trying to break up that stronghold will be Oakland’s Mike Norris.

The NL has a duo of Astros with Nolan Ryan and JR Richard, Philly’s Steve Carlton and another tough duo in LA with Jerry Reuss and Bob Welch.

Mid-Card Champion

Status

Week 1 of the 1980 season

Hope sprung eternal as the 1980 MLB season started. Each team was on even ground as the first games of 1980 got under way. All the franchises had hope that they would be in pennant contention at the end of the season, but all knew too well that baseball is not a sprint, but a marathon. The team that started strong didn’t mean it would end strong. The grueling six month battle could for some teams be their stage to show off the talent they had built in preparation for the fight. Sadly, that platform is often only for the lucky teams that are able to put “IT” all together, but more likely than not the majority of teams in MLB will have a combination of ups and downs throughout. Teams will deal with injuries, underperforming players, contentious salary negotiations and situations unimaginable in the happy days of April. Good luck to all involved, contender or pretender.

AL Team Profile

Managed by Dick Howser and anchored by perennial All Star and MVP candidate Reggie Jackson, the Yankees are the favorites to win the pennant in the East. Helping Jackson out in the lineup is a variety of skilled players including; Bucky Dent, Willie Randolph, Rick Cerone and Lou Pinella. The true strength of this team is the pitching staff assembled by GM Gene Michael. It’s a lefty dominant group, headlined by the two headed monster of Rudy May and Ron Guidry at the top of the rotation followed by Luis Tiant and Tom Underwood. The bullpen is in good hands with Rich Gossage and Tommy John closing down games in the late innings. A true force to reckoned with in the East…at least on paper.

NL Team Proflie

Strikeouts are the name of the game in Houston with their pitching staff. Manager Bill Virdon while thrilled with the signing of free agent 2B Joe Morgan, he believes their success will rely in the one, two punch of ace 1a JR Richard and ace 1b Nolan Ryan, who was signed in the offseason. Both pitchers pack some serious heat. Add in crafty knuckleballer and team leader in wins from last year, Joe Niekro, the staff has the potential to keep the other teams hitters off balance. Speaking of hitters, the Astros feature a lineup built around base hits and speed, rather than power. The art of the stolen base will be important to the lineup that features 3 players with 30+ SBs from last season (Terry Puhl, Jose Cruz and Enos Cabell), getting on base is the key for them.

First Week Highlights:

April 11th – Philadelphia

Young, would be ace of the Montreal Expos, RHP Bill Gullickson outdueled wily vet, Steve Carlton and shut down the potent offense of the Phillies with a 3 hit shutout. Schmidt, Rose, Luzinski, Maddox and Boone had no answers as Gullickson struckout 7 to just 1 BB in his complete game victory. Steve Carlton pitched up to his reputation in an 8 inning, 8K outing, the difference being the 2 early game homeruns given up to Montreal’s Ellis Valentine and Gary Carter.

Other Notable Happenings:

April 9th – 41 yr old Phil Niekro started off his 17th major league season with a win for Atlanta. The 21 game winner from last year gave up just 1 run over 8 innings.

April 12th – Darrell Porter went 3 for 4 with a dinger 4 RBI 4 runs scored, he was just one of many bright spots for Kansas City, as they crushed the Detroit Tigers 18 to 6.

April 13th – Matt Keough throws a 3 hit shutout for Oakland; in the same game 21 yr old speed demon Ricky Henderson steals his 3rd base in as many games.

April 13th – Leon Roberts of the Seattle Mariners goes 4 for 4 with 3 HRs and 6RBI’s in a 10-6 loss to Toronto.

Weekly Awards:

AL Player of the Week:

Milwaukee’s Cecil Cooper for his .529 avg, 1 home run and 4 RBIs week

NL Player of the Week:

Lee Mazzilli of the NY Mets compiled a .500 average (8 for 16) with 3 home runs, 8 RBIs and 4 runs scored

Signings:

Baltimore’s LHP Mike Flanagan signs a 6yr, 3.84 million dollar extension to avoid free agency at the end of the season

Top Prospects List:

The annual Top 100 Prospects of MLB list was released at the beginning of the season.

Here is the Top 10

2B Tim Raines, 20, Montreal Expo

1B Ken Phelps, 25, Kansas City Royals

RHP Dave S Smith, 25, Houston Astros

RF Leon Durham, 22, St. Louis Cardinals

RHP Mike Scott, 24, New York Mets

CL Andy Rincon, 21, St. Louis Cardinals

RP Lee Smith, 22, Chicago Cubs

CF Mookie Wilson, 24, New York Mets

RP Pascual Perez, 22, Pittsbugh Pirates

RF Joe Charboneau, 24, Cleveland Indians

Others of Note:

21. CL Steve Howe, 22, Los Angeles Dodgers

28. LHP Fernando Valenzuela, 19, Los Angeles Dodgers

34. RF Harold Baines, 21, Chicago White Sox

Mid-Card Champion

Status

Week 2 of the 1980

The story so far has been the pitchers being slightly ahead of the hitters. We’ve seen a lot of dominant pitching performances. However, as the weather gets warmer, the bats tend to heat up. Temperatures around the league increased a bit in the second week as spring is starting to flex its muscles, the bats have begun to awaken from their slumber and players have gotten used to their routines.

Back by popular request the in depth team profiles of the two other teams picked by the esteemed BBWAA to win their divisions. All of the other teams will be profiled as well, but may be more of players to look out for during the season or sleeper teams that could surprise, since its baseball and we all know anything can and will happen during the season.

NL Team Profile

“This team is built head to toe with good young talent,” remarks fiery manager Dick Williams. Williams also adds, “John (McHale, GM of the Expos) has done an outstanding job assembling this team, now it’s my duty to lead them to the promise land.” The talent Williams glows about starts with the ever potent lineup anchored by former RoY (1977) Andre Dawson. His power, along with number five hitter Gary Carter and number six hitter Larry Parrish, give the Expos three potential 30 homerun guys right in the middle of the lineup. The other batters may not add the punch of their compatriots, but they provide speed and runners on base. Rodney Scott stole 39 bags last year and plans on doing more of the same. Ron LeFlore, the table setter for the lineup doubled Mr. LeFlore’s stolen base total last year with 78. With the young buck, Tim Raines just added to the lineup in his first year in the major leagues, it could be another Rookie of the Year award in Montreal. As good as their lineup is, the pitching staff maybe better, dare we say. Second year pitcher, Bill Gullickson has shown everyone that he’s ready to be ace of the staff. That’s okay with Steve Rogers who loves his new role as the number two, but more importantly the pitcher with the most experience that can help the other youngsters, Steve Sanderson and David Palmer, 23 and 22 respectively; through the tough times. The one weak spot Williams mentioned they could have was their bullpen, said best by Dick himself, “Bleeping Bill bleeping Lee made the bleeping team and you can quote me on that!”

AL Team Profile

Former ballplayer and now GM Eddie Robinson believes experience wins in the long run, so that’s how he’s built his team. “I played for the ’48 Indians and we had more vets on that team than rooks, experience makes the difference when the going gets tough.” Funny he would say that with one of the younger managers in the game, 39 yr old Pat Corrales, but alas, not everything makes sense in baseball. “Their lineup doesn’t have much power or speed, it’s a wonder how they’re going to score runs or even get on base,” commented by an unnamed writer. “I guess Buddy Bell and Richie Zisk are pretty good and Al Oliver hits .300 every year, but that’s not enough.” And their pitching staff, led by 41 yr old Gaylord Perry and 33 yr old Ken Forsch. “Are you sure they were picked to win the West?” questioned another of those random reporters that seem so prominent in the spring. “The writers weren’t messing with you guys and just said this as joke…right?”

2nd Week Highlights:

April 16th – Pittsburgh

Bert Blyleven of the Pittsburgh Pirates was in dominant form as he scattered 6 hits and had 12 K’s in a complete game shutout against the Chicago Cubs. Blyleven was reached for comment after the game, “We were able to contain the big bats of Buckner and Kingman. Lee Lacy (Pirates LF) had 3 hits including an important home run. He was the real star of the team.” Lacy was asked about his day, “My job is to hit and Bert’s is to pitch. When we have Bert on the mound we always have a chance to win. He’s definitely our ace.” This victory brought the Pirates record to .500 on the young season.

Other Highlights:

April 15th – Mike Norris of the Oakland A’s moved his record to 2-0 on the season as he completely handled the Seattle Mariners lineup in an 11-2 victory. Norris gave up 2 runs over 9 innings, with 9 K’s. In the same game Ricky Henderson stole 2 more bags to bring his season total to 5 SB.

April 19th – Baltimore’s Steve Stone toyed with the Chicago White Sox, throwing a 3 hitter in the second game of a doubleheader. Stone was in full command in his complete game shutout, striking out 8 and walking just 1 hitter. The core of the Orioles lineup contributed as Gary Roenicke had 3 hits and Eddie Murray had 2 hits, with a homer each.

April 19th – Larry Parrish of the Montreal Expos had a different kind of game, making 3 errors at the hot corner. Parrish was a little guarded speaking about his bad day, “Defense is the main thing I work on every day, I have no excuses, I have to make the plays to help our team.” Rumors around the Expos are that they may bring up young 3B Brad Mills and possibly move Parrish to an OF position. All just speculation as the Expos outfield is full with Dawson, LeFlore and Valentine as starters. In brighter news, rookie 2B Tim Raines had 2 SB to bring his total to 4 on the season.

Weekly Awards:

AL Player of the Week:

For the second consecutive week, Cecil Cooper of the Brewers has won the award. He had 12 hits in 26 at-bats, with 1 home run and 7 RBIs. His season batting average is .488

NL Player of the Week:

Over on the Senior Circuit, Jack Clark of the San Francisco Giants won the award. He had a lofty .483 average (14 for 29), collecting 3 home runs, 8 RBIs and 8 runs scored.

Signings:

Boston Red Sox LF Jim Rice signs a 6 yr, 5.88 million dollar extension with the team becoming the second highest paid player, behind Carl Yastrzemski.

Thread Information