Thread: Hiroshi Tanahashi

MADMIN KING

Status
      Country                    England

Hiroshi Tanahashi

GO ACE~!

With every passing Kenny Omega New Japan main event, this guy's stock rises. I am a shameless Big Match Tana stan and you better strap in for another reign as the champ when he wins at the Dome next week.

While we miss the best of the Okada rivalry after 2015 imo, we still get a good bunch of matches between them including the G1 draws where they reign it in a little, people say the ones this year have been great but I didn't love them. The trilogy of matches with Naito in 2017 are amazing, the matches with Ibushi are brilliant, his G1 final with Nakamura is great, probably the final top tier match of Yuji Nagata's career, he was the first person to get anything great out of Sanada in NJPW, he's the only one who can usually get anything good out of Fale, there's some standard great stuff with Shibata, Styles and Ishii too. If you're someone that's going to cherry pick matches from New Japan when you're researching this, Tanahashi is going to do very well on your list.

There are cons for sure. His big match formula can be repetitive, he takes more nights off in a year hiding in tags than anyone else, and his 2018 really wasn't that impressive with the Jay White matches sucking and his G1 being nothing to write home about. He did have a great match with Zack in the NJ Cup though.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Re: Hiroshi Tanahashi

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    . If you're someone that's going to cherry pick matches from New Japan when you're researching this, Tanahashi is going to do very well on your list..
    Yeah this is my impression too. Through sporadic watching of NJPW, he definitely stands out and he could really benefit from the finite amount of watching we can do. For example you said he's had a quiet 2018, but I still have him in my second best match of the year against Ibushi.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

30 Days of WC Member's Choice - Coming Soon - PM me match suggestions

Shock Reviews Archive

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    China

That Ibushi match would rank highly on a best matches in the last 5 years list for me.

He's kind of like a WWE wrestler in that he is really decided around a solid amount of matches with periods with nothing but meaningless matches to puff out his resume.

Tanahashi had a great match vs. Suzuki, a great match with Juice, ZSJ's best NJPW match by far, 3 really good-great matches (the September one is the only one I think was really great but it was one of their best matches together) with Okada, someone a lot of people have figured out what I knew along...he isn't very good and a MOTYC vs. Ibushi. Jay White has sucked against everyone besides Finlay so I can't blame Tana too much for that. Was it really quiet? He was probably their best guy this year besides Ishii & Ibushi.

2017: The Naito series was great plus he had a great G1 and a great match vs. Ibushi. Also helped out EVIL in the NJC.

2016: Only person to get good stuff out of SANADA then. Excellent draw against Okada in G1 and in general did a great job with SANADA, Marufuji, Ishii, and Tenzan with another strong Fale performance. Had a good match with Okada at the Dome but not one of their best and also put over Omega shortly afterwards.

2015: As good of a match as could be expected from just turned heel Naito where EVIL debuted, one of Nakamura's best matches in the G1 final and I loved him and AJ but not his greatest tournament. Also probably my favorite War of the Worlds match ever against Roderick and before his Yano rest time he had a good match with AJ and I have to disagree with Ed because I think the WK match with Okada is hands down better than all their matches that came before it. Although upstaged by Ibushi/Nakamura a bit, in a vacuum it's a classic match.

He'll be high up on my list in all likelihood. He's one of the best turnaround stories from earlier in his career where he was mostly like how Okada is now having the same match over and over as champion. I hope he gets a solid run of main event matches as world champion in 2019 and rocks it.
    As long as you remember me, I will always live within you. Not as a phantom limb or a phantom anything...As part of your heart. I will always be your angel of peace. So I know exactly how to finish...

Say..."Peace".

Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Dylan Fox (me) & Cagematch.net boss STRIGGA)

Check out our Patreon and support me please? 1/3/5 dollar tiers but any one is good! - The Eastern Lariat

MADMIN KING

Status
      Country                    England

Oh shit I forgot that the great dome show Okada match is in this time period. Checking our ill-fated ebook subsection, I had that match as #3 for 2015 so yeah that's another big tick in his box.

Looks like MC will have to make the Okada thread

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

I'll make the Okada thread

Tanahashi is an easy in for me. Probably top 10. Can't really say anything more than what has been said already but the man is a master of pulling emotions out of me through his ringwork. Easily one of my favourite wrestlers ever. It sucks nuts that he's on the way down just as NJPW seems to be going big (thanks to him).

I think it's been mentioned before but I've seen Tanahashi work heel in DDT and it was truly a wonderful performance. I'd never have thought the guy could play a dickhead so easily.
    Last edited by RainShaker; 12-29-2018 at 08:16 AM.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Scumbag Role Model

Status
      Country                    United States

He’s top ten for me. Aside from having a couple of lull periods, he’s just a big match juggernaut. His 2015-2017 G1s make him a top candidate alone.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

Heel Champion

Status

As echoed by others in this thread. An easy in for me TBH, he may have some lull periods but to this day he delivers like few can. His match with Ibushi was amazing

WAKE UP

Status

Just watched

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Zack Sabre Jr, G1 Climax 2017

Good match thanks to Zack working a Zack template match, which is pretty much guaranteed to be decent at worst, and the surprise outcome. Tanahashi was a total broom-handle though. Offered literally nothing up all match apart from tapping out at the end. Selling was incredibly basic and that was basically all he did all match. Zack has wrestled this exact match with a bunch of guys and this was pretty middle of the road for that.

WAKE UP

Status

Have been watching some NJ stuff from the past few years over the past 2 weeks and, unless he has a barn-burner of a G1, I don't think I'm going to be voting for Tanahashi. The Tanahashi formula is too reliant on his opponent seizing the moment and delivering a great performance while he is a passenger, and the roster doesn't have that many good workers for that to deliver consistently. Okada does the same but with better output. He is better than Seth Rollins but the Top 10 talk is really lost on me.

Thread Information