Thread: Dean Ambrose/Jon Moxley

WAKE UP

Status

Dean Ambrose/Jon Moxley

A pretty low end candidate, at this point I'm not sure if he'll make my Top 50 or not, but thought it would be interesting putting the case out there.

THE GOOD:
    - A bunch of tags with both former Shield partners and the brief Shield reunion - like Rollins, Ambrose shines most in tag team and multi-man matches where he gets to do a lot of stuff but doesn't have to lead or control a match for extended period of time. He "gets" tag team wrestling and has had chemistry with a range of guys as opponents

- the LMS with Owens is one of the best WWE hardcore plunder matches in recent years - again, an environment he typically shines in

- shockingly good match with old man HHH a few years ago PPV

- Very good series of matches with Styles which I don't think were carryjobs

THE BAD
    - Singles matches with Rollins, his main opponent, range from OK to very stinky

- Program with Jericho was pretty terrible

- Program with Miz was also pretty stinky

Out of his main programs of the last several years, I'd say it's more equal between good and bad.

He does a lot of cool things, "gets" how to make a match feel chaotic and out of control, is willing to eat a bunch of shit, and is pretty charismatic.

But he does also have a bunch of weak or shitty offence (pretty key for a brawler), usually struggles in singles matches without a gimmick, and has never really "fit" into the WWE style that well.

He may be a #50 - #40 guy for me.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Re: Dean Ambrose

Perhaps the most frustrating wrestler in the world. I really want to love Ambrose but he kind of sucks a fair bit of the time. His offence is terrible and often takes me out of his matches.

He's got some great matches to his name that Steve has already mentioned, but I don't think it'll be too tricky to find 50 better wrestlers.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

30 Days of WC Member's Choice - Coming Soon - PM me match suggestions

Shock Reviews Archive

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

Scumbag Role Model

Status
      Country                    United States

He’s too infuriating over the last few years to even consider at this point.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

Heel Champion

Status
      Country                    Wales

Can't see him on my list to be honest. Probably too inconsistent to warrant a top 50 spot over the last 5 years....unless he does something special next year.
    I have a plan so cunning......

MADMIN KING

Status
      Country                    England

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Nicky View Post
    He’s too infuriating over the last few years to even consider at this point.
    What was infuriating about his 2017 run with Seth as tag champs? I thought that was one of his brighter points in his career.

I'm one of the bigger Dean fans on the forum; I didn't mind the Jericho feud all that much, I thought he was excellent on the first 6 months of SD Live and had a great feud with AJ, I enjoyed the first feud he had with Seth and thought their reunion in 2017 was very well done. Also as you say Steve, massive props for getting a quality PPV main event out of Triple H in 2016 when you consider the Roman Reigns match that followed it. Those highs for me make me more generous when I look at the other stuff in his career that's just ok midcard filler like the Miz or Corbin feud.

However, he is fucking terrible at the minute, absolutely garbage as a performer and rather like Gargano once you lose me as a character and become an instant skip on TV, there's nothing I'm going to enjoy about your big matches. Carmella and R-Truth having dance breaks is a better standard of wrestling at the moment because at least that is entertaining a young section of fans and is over, Who is this germaphobe Dean Ambrose character entertaining? It's a hugely disappointing development in his career and if he keeps it up next year I won't be able to vote for him in this. 2018 a rubbish year for him considering the injury, the botched Seth match, and I think that HIAC tag is pretty overrated too.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    China

You'd have to be a smark relic locked head first in the WWE bubble to even consider him. He's awful and easily the worst person nominated thus far, even worse than Owens.
    As long as you remember me, I will always live within you. Not as a phantom limb or a phantom anything...As part of your heart. I will always be your angel of peace. So I know exactly how to finish...

Say..."Peace".

Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Dylan Fox (me) & Cagematch.net boss STRIGGA)

Check out our Patreon and support me please? 1/3/5 dollar tiers but any one is good! - The Eastern Lariat

People's Champion

Status

i have never liked Ambrose. Hes a good promo though
    Proud Member of the PC Master Race.

Fearless University

Status
      Country                    New Zealand

The bad outweighs the good. His endless shit with the Shield is always poor, but everything Shield related sucks. I really enjoyed his run on SmackDown when he was able to move past the endlessly repetitive Shield crap.

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    Perhaps the most frustrating wrestler in the world. I really want to love Ambrose but he kind of sucks a fair bit of the time. His offence is terrible and often takes me out of his matches.

He's got some great matches to his name that Steve has already mentioned, but I don't think it'll be too tricky to find 50 better wrestlers.

Summed up my view on the guy nicely. I REALLY want to like him, but man he makes it difficult. Way to inconsistent to be considered one of the best workers in recent memory.

WAKE UP

Status

SO have to imagine his standing will go up with his post-WWE life if early indications are anything to go by. The Juice match felt like a revelation and breath of fresh air. Not only was it a strong match but it felt like a guy more motivated than he's been in years, finally playing the part WWE wouldn't let him play - the chaotic, violent heel. He was almost Terry Funk-esque with how he was larger than life and potatoing Juice all over the place. I think he could be the most interesting guy to watch in the final 6 months of the year.

MADMIN KING

Status

Re: Dean Ambrose/Jon Moxley

Oh yeah, he's going to get such a boost from the last part of 2019. Not only will he be in a position to have great matches now and feel like a bigger star than he was, I think it's also going to buy him some good will that things like the Rollins feud shouldn't be too strong a negative to hold against him because he was being dragged down by terrible booking at the time and it was almost an impossible task to make that work. From what I've seen of him now, I cannot say he's the #1 reason those matches sucked. You also can't rule out a thing like recency bias playing a factor on some lists because if he kills it in two major promotions from now until December, that'll be in people's minds much more than having a failure of a match with Lesnar at mania or with Reigns at Survivor Series.

He was always going to make my list because I really enjoyed his 2016 (probably 2nd best on the main roster only to AJ), and I was a high man on the Shield tags in 2017, but I would already say that the Juice and Ishii NJPW matches would make a top 10 Moxley match-list from 2015-19 and the opportunity is there to have more great matches ahead with Goto, Shingo, Naito, Juice at Budokan Hall and Omega as some of his listed matches to come in the next month. So many people come into New Japan, and it doesn't work out for them. Look how much of a fish out of water someone like a Cody Rhodes has looked in New Japan, Moxley already has a better Japanese career than he did.

Oh and the Drew FCA match from Raw in March with the pen in the eye spot ruled too.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status
      Country                    Scotland

He might end up as the highest of the Shield guys on my list which I wouldn't have thought possible at the start of this.

30 Days of WC Member's Choice - Coming Soon - PM me match suggestions

Shock Reviews Archive

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

King EC

Status
      Country                    United States

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    He might end up as the highest of the Shield guys on my list which I wouldn't have thought possible at the start of this.

To be honest, it's pretty much exactly what I expected. At least once it became clear he was actually leaving WWE. Reigns was pretty much always out of the question for me because I just don't think he's good like that. And Rollins is going to have a hard time hanging in there if they keep booking him the way they have. Both guys suffer from having to work formulaic matches nine times out of ten (which drives me nuts because they can be better) while Mox will now have the chance to have standout matches on a regular basis. I've always known the guy could work. He's obviously had flashes in WWE but now that he's off their leash, he's set to have a great year that will no doubt outshine Rollins and Reigns. If they were all fairly close heading into this, Moxley will easily outpace them by the time 2019 ends I believe.
    ​​​​​​​​ 2019 King of Wrestling Clique

HOW ABOUT YOU READ THESE THINGS?

WC's Greatest Superstars in WWE History
    Burn It Down!: The Top 25 Matches of Seth Rollins' Career
    Spoiler:

MADMIN KING

Status

I think Roman peaks better than all three of them and is the better big match worker, but he's laid a lot more eggs so with a strong 2019 I think Moxley's probably going to overtake him.

WAKE UP

Status

I am sure the CZW Steve Austin tribute act will get tiring some point soon, but right now I am pretty high on his last 6 months or so. The NJPW run has delivered far better than expected, and even if the Janela match was trash by design, the Omega match was pretty good. If you are doing to do spots like the barbwire spidernet, might as well do it on PPV main event.

Thread Information