Thread: WALTER

Relentless Admin

Status
      Country                    England

WALTER

Seems apt to mention this guy today after we was voted WC's Wrestler of the Year in 2018. He was fantastic too in 2017 and was my WOTY then as well. With him being signed to WWE now there will be more eyes on him next year and his unique deal means he'll still be wrestling in the majority of the same indies as he is now.

However, the massive road block this guy has is that almost everything of his 2015 and 2016 was in Germany and is behind a paywall so it's going to be tough for people to look into this guy. I was planning to cancel my wXwNOW account after that company shit the bed the last few months, but I might have to hang on to it for a while.

Scumbag Role Model

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: WALTER

He’s in my considerations obviously, but his placement depends on his 2015 and 2016.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    Hong Kong

He deserves it, but no clue at all where I'll rank him. 2019 could be as big of year as 2015.

We can tell other people about...having faith. What we had faith in. What we found important enough to fight for. It's not whether you were right or wrong, but how much faith you were willing to have, that decides the future~

Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Dylan Fox (me) & Cagematch.net boss STRIGGA)

Check out our Patreon and support me please? 1/3/5 dollar tiers but any one is good! - The Eastern Lariat

WAKE UP

Status

The guy's been good since 2010 atleast (go watch the tourney finals with Hero), so there are probably stuff in those years that are good. However someone else not me has to go through the wXw archives and rummage around, but I have no interest in that.

WAKE UP

Status

Just watched both WALTER vs Keith Lee (EVOLVE 96) and vs Riddle (EVOLVE 97) back to back - both were pretty great matches that were not only fucking stiff, but pretty smartly worked and totally played to his opponent's strengths. The Lee match was especially good and easily my favourite match from Keith, and I think WALTER gets credit for helping lead it. Riddle goes for the handshake and "respect" pop guff after their match and thank god WALTER kicks him the fucking mouth and heels his way into my heart.

He could be my working #1 right now.

Status
      Country                    United States

Walter? Pffft. Get off this man's jock. He isn't fit to lace Kenny Omega's boots.

No I'm kidding. I gave him the vote for wrestler of the year. I have a lot of catch up to do on his 2015-2017 but there is very little doubt he will make it into my top 10, and could realistically finish number 1.

Relentless Admin

Status

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    Just watched both WALTER vs Keith Lee (EVOLVE 96) and vs Riddle (EVOLVE 97) back to back - both were pretty great matches that were not only fucking stiff, but pretty smartly worked and totally played to his opponent's strengths. The Lee match was especially good and easily my favourite match from Keith, and I think WALTER gets credit for helping lead it. Riddle goes for the handshake and "respect" pop guff after their match and thank god WALTER kicks him the fucking mouth and heels his way into my heart.
    I can't say I have any lasting memories of that Keith Lee match but I thought his various matches with Riddle were really great and filled the void in Riddle's indie career after his first big rival Hero left for WWE.

Relentless Admin

Status

Pretty much worked my way through 2015 wXw and I have to say Walter doesn't leave much of a lasting impression. He's still good and there's a couple of really great matches, but it's like watching a lesser version of the exact same wrestler today and he at no point gives off best in the world vibes. It's hurt his #1 candidacy in my eyes to watch his earlier stuff and see the likes of Ilja and Zack be better than him.

WAKE UP

Status

Just watched

WALTER vs Darby Allin, EVOLVE 106

Fucking hell, this is my 2018 MOTY. Incredible match between two WOTY contenders. It struck me during this that WALTER is indy-level Brock Lesnar, and he is superb at that. He has the aura of being unbeatable to an unfair extent. His beatdown on Darby was so violent. WALTER getting his hand worked over is a story he does often, and this was the best one yet as Darby was actively going for it as a strategy rather than capitalizing on a mistake (making him look smart rather than lucky) and going for it with gusto. WALTER's chink-in-armor selling was fantastic, that first chop he throws after seems to hurt him as much as Allin, and him having to grab a rope break from an armbar is a real "holy shit, Allin may do this" moment. Didn't know the result going in, lost my shit for the finish.

Excellent match. I can't see having WALTER lower than #3, even with periods of not doing much. I think I am likely to vote guys who have periods of being spectacular over guys who are consistently 'good' or 'decent' over 5 years.

Relentless Admin

Status

Yes Steve! I was waiting for you to see this match after seeing your fandom of Darby grow. On paper you know it has the chance to be truly great because the roles should compliment each other well, and then the bell rings and it's even better than you imagined.

Relentless Admin

Status

In my head I had ruled WALTER out of WOTY contention for 2019 because nothing about NXT UK excites me and I felt things would now naturally wrap up for him being an important part of other promotions. 16 Carat weekend however reminded me that he's still the absolute king of wrestling at the moment with an amazing collection of matches and heel performances that raise the game of people he's in there with. I think four out of his five matches that weekend would make my top 10 matches for 2019 so far.

The Inner Circle tag match is possibly the final hurrah of Ringkampf against a Japanese legend and an emerging star on the scene.
    The Starr match I think is their best ever match together with a heartbreaker of an ending.
    The Fenix match is the best I've seen Fenix since the Grave Consequences match where WALTER is such a dickhead attacking the mask so much. He wins via trapping Fenix in a choke and removing his mask - at this point WALTER was #1 heel in the promotion which set him up nicely to face some home grown underdogs
    The Lucky Kid match is very much in the same sphere as the Ilja/Walter Carat final in 2017 where Walter is destroying the smaller guy but they keep fighting back. I'm hesitant to call it a star making match because all of Kid's matches that weekend elevated him, but it was a really giving performance from Walter where he did everything to make Kid look great.

And apparently Devlin/Walter II ruled last night so we've probably got another excellent match hitting the VOD soon.

WAKE UP

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    In my head I had ruled WALTER out of WOTY contention for 2019 because nothing about NXT UK excites me and I felt things would now naturally wrap up for him being an important part of other promotions. 16 Carat weekend however reminded me that he's still the absolute king of wrestling at the moment with an amazing collection of matches and heel performances that raise the game of people he's in there with. I think four out of his five matches that weekend would make my top 10 matches for 2019 so far.

The Inner Circle tag match is possibly the final hurrah of Ringkampf against a Japanese legend and an emerging star on the scene.
    The Starr match I think is their best ever match together with a heartbreaker of an ending.
    The Fenix match is the best I've seen Fenix since the Grave Consequences match where WALTER is such a dickhead attacking the mask so much. He wins via trapping Fenix in a choke and removing his mask - at this point WALTER was #1 heel in the promotion which set him up nicely to face some home grown underdogs
    The Lucky Kid match is very much in the same sphere as the Ilja/Walter Carat final in 2017 where Walter is destroying the smaller guy but they keep fighting back. I'm hesitant to call it a star making match because all of Kid's matches that weekend elevated him, but it was a really giving performance from Walter where he did everything to make Kid look great.

And apparently Devlin/Walter II ruled last night so we've probably got another excellent match hitting the VOD soon.
    Just watched the Lucky Kid match and, between that and the Dunne carryjob, I'd say WALTER's Q1 has looked pretty strong so far this year. It was a real #Vintage WALTER broomhandle carryjob holding a wXw-level Mikey Whipwreck and guiding him to probably his career match. I will have to check out the rest of the ones you've highlighted. There was a lot of worry he'd fall out of contention going to the WWE but being allowed to work certain indys and with hopefully 1 or 2 UK TakeOvers this year it looks like those fears will be misplaced.

Relentless Admin

Status

I wouldn't be so harsh on Lucky Kid cause he had a weekend of very good matches, but Walter was immense for sure and helped step up Kid's game. If Walter can make NXT UK interesting, then that'll be another string to his bow.

You'll like the Fenix match more than most Fenix lucha matches I would guess.

Relentless Admin

Status

I spoke about this on twitter earlier in the week, but even with the NXT UK deal I actually think Walter is still operating at a wrestler of the year level and that people who think Ospreay has this year all sown up just aren't watching enough European wrestling. Walter is still regularly wrestling in 4 different promotions, is having MOTYCs, is having meaningful title matches, is still having the feud of the modern era with Starr.

What I'm getting at is with Walter being my wrestler of the year in 2017, 2018 and in with a chance of being it in 2019, I'm struggling to see who's going to topple him as my #1. Everywhere he goes he raises the profile of, he's made stars out of David Starr, Jordan Devlin and Ilja Dragunov, he helped Thatcher find his feet in European wrestling, he has the best match in wXw, OTT and Progress wrestling history and given enough time he'll probably have the best in NXT UK too.

WAKE UP

Status

WALTER vs Jeff Cobb from Smokey & The Bandido is the best Cobb match I've ever seen. Fight me if you say otherwise.

After watching the total your-turn-my-turn of Fenix vs Bandido, it was really good to see a guy actually building heat on his opponent and work a simple story-driven match like this. That it was a super heavyweight showdown main event with a bunch of hard hits and big bombs just made the deal sweeter. My biggest gripe with Cobb is his matches tend to have a lot of dead air and feel directionless, but thankfully WALTER can take a guy like him and lead him to a really great match that was was tight, focused, and built well to a dramatic finish. The finish was a bit odd but atleast played on Cobb's amateur credentials. Add it to the list of awesome WALTER carryjobs, next!

Relentless Admin

Status

Building on from that point, it had me wondering just how many wrestlers I would say have had their best match with WALTER:

- Ilja (Carat final)
    - Jordan Devlin (first OTT title match)
    - Zack Sabre Jr (Pumpkin spiced progress)
    - Thatcher (the progress early 2018 match)
    - Lucky Kid (2019 Carat final)
    - Avalanche (2019 Semi final)
    - Jeff Cobb (Smokey and the Bandido)
    - Darby Allin (Evolve 106)
    - Jurn Simmons (Tag League 2017 final)
    - Veit Muller (Dead End 2019)
    - Mark Davis (progress atlas title match)
    - Hunter Brothers (Progress chapter 45)

Can't think of anymore atm. Ironically because of that ironman match against Janela, I can't say David Starr anymore despite them having several great matches and a famous feud.

WAKE UP

Status

I'd also add Keith Lee, PCO and Tom Lawler to the list of guys who's best matches were against WALTER.

Relentless Admin

Status

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    I'd also add Keith Lee, PCO and Tom Lawler to the list of guys who's best matches were against WALTER.
    Would agree with Tom Lawler, entertaining match on an experimental show where not everything banged.

PCO I'd probably agree with even though I didn't rate it that highly, I can just appreciate the performance Walter put in to make the guy. My only hesitation is that I've never seen the Bret Hart match from IYH3. In recent years it's the best match for sure.

Keith Lee I prefer the first Ishii match and the mania week Ricochet match.

WAKE UP

Status

OK yes, Hart vs PCO is better, but that was 20 years ago so I forgot it.

Thread Information