Thread: Hirooki Goto

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

Hirooki Goto

So. Hirooki Goto. Hirooki Goto, to me, is the most reliable and dependable wrestler on the New Japan roster and possibly in the entire world.

If you ask Hirooki Goto to go out and have a great match, he'll do it. No matter who with. Whether it's with top level guys like Hiroshi Tanahashi, Kazuchika Okada, Katsuyori Shibata, Tomohiro Ishii or with the older guys like Togi Makabe, Yuji Nagata, Satoshi Kojima, Minoru Suzuki or the younger, lower-level talents like YOSHI-HASHI, EVIL, SANADA, Juice Robinson, he'll do it and get good-great matches out of them. His work in the NEVER Openweight Division has been the saving grace of the title despite its terrible booking in recent years with him being the only consistent force in the division amongst failed experiments with Minoru Suzuki, Michael Elgin and Taichi. Hirooki Goto has almost always performs at the highest level like his recent Wrestle Kingdom matches with Katsuyori Shibata and Minoru Suzuki, his great G1 Finals in 2016 with Kenny Omega and IC title battles with Shinsuke Nakamura. Hirooki Goto doesn't often have a bad match (although there are his matches with Taichi which are admittedly pretty terrible), and he will more often than not get the best out of his opponent. Being able to adapt to his opponents and wrestle different matches depending on who is was wrestling whereas some other wrestlers like Tomohiro Ishii and Kazuchika Okada get criticised for sticking to one match style and rarely deviating from their usual style, Goto doesn't usually have that problem.

Goto has had his bad moments like the aforementioned Taichi matches as well as his 2017 Suzuki feud but the good FAR outweighs the bad.
    We Don't Confrom, Kiss Ass Or Get Married
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!
    NJPW Threads

The Flow

Status
      Country                    Canada

Re: Hirooki Goto

Yeah I'm a big fan of the guy. He's one of the most consistently good wrestlers in the world and very rarely has a bad match.

The only time WWE came close to a good story line post Attitude Era was Undertaker/Mordecai - Dakstang
    [06:01 PM]Dakstang
    :
    Yeah I guess you are right. And I only want to be Daddy to my own kids. Sorry.

MADMIN KING

Status
      Country                    England

After Ishii he's the most reliable and consistent wrestler in New Japan, yes I even like his matches with Kenny.

Goto doesn't really deal in bad matches at all, but I do think he's a guy who over the years I get so uninterested in him that when he has his standard very good match, it's not moving my needle all that much. If I went through his cagematch profile I'd see match after match that I really like, and yet I wouldn't be moved to call him a favorite wrestler of mine or say he's a WOTY contender. idk, he's going to be a weird one for me, I'm pretty sure he'll make my top 50 on volume of great matches and yet I'll spend most of the thread spouting negatives about him.

He has some incredible highs this year with the Suzuki dome show match, the best IWGP Tag title match of the last 5 years against LIJ and the Ishii G1 battle.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    China

Unfortunately the interest in him Ed mentioned is true for a lot of people and it's somewhat unfair because in my opinion NJPW's awful booking of him makes him having great matches even more impressive since he should have been dead in the water like 50 times at this point and the Dome proved he could have a MOTYC AND have the entire Tokyo Dome behind him during his match which would be beyond impossible and I say this about Okada and Omega and it's definitely true but it isn't just them. 99% of wrestlers in his position would have been in Yoshitatsu land at this point but he's constantly overachieved and you have to give him credit for that.

In general I just really like his style since his matches often actually build correctly to his finish rather than do a bunch of legwork to kill time and have it build to something totally different. He also has the widest array of semi-regular finishers of any of the NJPW workers (really most everyone in wrestling outside of Lucha at this point) and it gives his matches a little more credibility to me. Just in the last year he's won matches with no less than 5 different moves for a month+ at a time. Basically nobody else can say that.

I think he deserves way more love from booking and fans. I don't know where he'll end up after next year, but if it's top 5 or 10 for me? It wouldn't be a surprise. If they magically got behind him and he stepped up I think he could be deserving of #1 overall.
    As long as you remember me, I will always live within you. Not as a phantom limb or a phantom anything...As part of your heart. I will always be your angel of peace. So I know exactly how to finish...

Say..."Peace".

Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Dylan Fox (me) & Cagematch.net boss STRIGGA)

Check out our Patreon and support me please? 1/3/5 dollar tiers but any one is good! - The Eastern Lariat

WAKE UP

Status

No chance. When I think of mediocre heavyweight wrestlers, Goto comes to mind. Brain dead, faux badass with a silly indy moveset.

His one redeeming feature is that he usually hits hard and can be carried by guys who know how to work a proper heavyweight style match.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    No chance. When I think of mediocre heavyweight wrestlers, Goto comes to mind. Brain dead, faux badass with a silly indy moveset.

His one redeeming feature is that he usually hits hard and can be carried by guys who know how to work a proper heavyweight style match.
    Super short way of putting my thoughts.

Goto isn't and never will be a ring general. He generally has good matches but is not the star most of the time. Goto has had his moments here and there... But the vast majority of the time, I watch Goto matches and end up more interested in his opponents than him. He does have sick moves though tbh but his personality and gimmick just makes him boring overall.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Thread Information