Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AJ Styles

Fearless University

Status
      Country                    New Zealand

Re: AJ Styles

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    I'm basing it on the sample of fans on here and on my twitter feed that blamed the Jinder push as one of the reasons why they gave up watching SD Live in 2017 after it became recommended viewing in 2016. It was more of a hardcore fans point than a casual fan one because WWE have run away a lot of casuals anyway through a multitude of reasons. I've never heard someone quote AJ Styles as a reason they stay away from watching the show.

Ratings are stone age way of looking of judging success and even dumber to apply it to specific wrestlers, people don't consume TV shows the way they did during the Monday Night Wars. I could use bad ratings to manipulate a point that the The Miz wasn't on SD last year, has been one of the most featured acts on the show this year but the ratings keep going down therefore Miz is not a good draw or pro-wrestler. It would be really silly of me to do that.

The company has more network subscribers this year than last year and are bringing in more money than ever in their history, but live attendances are dwindling - do you just attribute AJ Styles to the negatives but not the positives? They are a complex business to conclude whether they are doing well or shit, and with a set up where the brand is the draw, not the wrestlers outside of maybe Ronda, it's impossible to place the blame of casuals leaving because of one persons title reign. It's a generation of negligence on WWE's part that has eroded away casual fan support.
    None of that changes the fact you’re being a hypocrite about Jinder and AJ. If the ratings tank under both guys as Champion blaming just one guy is hypocrisy at its finest.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Who cares about ratings for this project? Or perhaps more importantly, who cares about ratings in general? Are you incapable of judging anything yourself? Is the Big Bang Theory a bastion of television greatness because the ratings have said so?

Talk about wrestling.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

30 Days of WC Member's Choice - Coming Soon - PM me match suggestions

Shock Reviews Archive

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

Relentless Admin

Status
      Country                    England

Quote Originally Posted by ETE View Post
    None of that changes the fact you’re being a hypocrite about Jinder and AJ. If the ratings tank under both guys as Champion blaming just one guy is hypocrisy at its finest.
    At the risk of repeating myself, the fans that stopped watching the show didn't give AJ Styles as a reason why they were stopping, but they did give Jinder as a reason last year. The fact WWE have dropped him like a stone this year proves their own data came back screaming that Jinder doesn't move the needle or earn them significant merch money, even in his own country.

WAKE UP

Status

Guys this thread is to talk about how good of a worker AJ is, if you want to discuss his title reign or his booking or if he's a draw, take it to the WWE section.

Fearless University

Status
      Country                    New Zealand

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    Who cares about ratings for this project? Or perhaps more importantly, who cares about ratings in general? Are you incapable of judging anything yourself? Is the Big Bang Theory a bastion of television greatness because the ratings have said so?

Talk about wrestling.

It was a point brought up that perfectly illustrates the double standards for guys like AJ Styles.

As far as his wrasslin goes 2018 was a dud year for him.

Relentless Admin

Status

AJ Styles in 2018 was one of WWE's best wrestlers of the year considering who he had to face and the shitty creative decisions he had to overcome. Mustafa Ali and Buddy Murphy had great years sure but they spent the year wrestling other very good wrestlers on a show designed to have very good matches, it was set up for them to succeed. Other than that it's not a heavily contested title, I really don't see an argument that Seth Rollins was better than AJ Styles last year because the bloom came off that rose very sharply half way through the year.

I would argue that AJ Styles had Nakamura's best WWE feud and Joe's best WWE feud last year (wasn't high on his NXT stuff for those wondering); as much as you might not like the Nakamura matches are you seriously going to argue that the Nakamura/Ziggler feud was better? It was clearly a set up. He also has some really good TV matches throughout the year and ended the year strongly with the Bryan series of matches which I loved every one of.

To me it's his 2017 that hurts his top contender candidacy more than his 2018.

Chikara Trainee

Status
      Country                    United States

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Well something will have gone terribly wrong for him in 2019 if he doesn't end up being a top contender for this. If you put aside your own personal beliefs on him, AJ won the WC Wrestler of the Year award in 2015, 2016, 2017 and finished in the top 5 for 2018 and who knows how he'll end up in that other than Nicky. That shows you the consensus of the people that vote on projects and awards on WC rate this guy very highly among his peers; if you were voted wrestler of the year 3 of the 5 years we're looking at, you're a #1 contender no doubt.

I'm most eager to rewatch his New Japan and Rev-Pro matches from 2015 to see how well they hold up but I think that adds to his candidacy for sure to excel in a different countries. He was my wrestler of the year in 2016 just edging out Chris Hero and I think he's been right up there this year in terms of best in WWE. I didn't love his 2017, that's his weakest year by far for me but there's the odd moment when he's great like getting the career best match out of Shane McMahon.
    I can't echo this statement enough! And it was all well deserved.

If we're looking at the back-half of the decade, Styles should be a shoe-in. He could sit out 2019 and still at least finish top four.

WAKE UP

Status

we've had 4 or 5 Styles vs Bryan matches now, all of them good, but none of them great. What does that say?

Relentless Admin

Status

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    we've had 4 or 5 Styles vs Bryan matches now, all of them good, but none of them great. What does that say?
    I thought TLC was great and the TV matches were the best TV matches of the year Last night I wasn't so high on.

But if I look at it from your POV of the matches falling short of where they should be. Hmm, idk, maybe it's one of those weird things of two great wrestlers not having the right chemistry with each other, like I never think the Misawa/Hansen matches are as great as they should be, yet I'd still call them two greats of their era. AJ/Bryan from memory didn't have top drawer stuff on the indies either when they faced off.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

I think TLC was legitimately great and last night and the two Smackdown matches were nearly there. I've loved their series so far.

Shock Reviews Archive

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    Hong Kong

The TLC match was fantastic, the best wwe match of the year imo. The TV matches were good, I probably would put them just lower than Styles/Andrade & Rusev/Nak but they were rad, last night's was a dud but even then it's hard to imagine being put in a position to fail more than them after a long and Rumble match where an hour of dull restlessness exploded at once, then had a bad finish after going 20 minutes itself.

For his part, I thought AJ actually did a great job selling and working his injury into the match and showed why he's one of the best again, although it was obviously well short of expectations as a match itself.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

I think the TV matches were just good except for the title win but the PPV matches have been tremendous, imo.

WAKE UP

Status

I've liked them all but "MOTYC" or "barn-burner" or whatever feels like a stretch. They were all tightly worked, well put together matches, but none felt as epic or dramatic as say Bryan vs Brock. I've come away from every match thinking Styles is clearly a lesser worker than Bryan also.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    I've liked them all but "MOTYC" or "barn-burner" or whatever feels like a stretch. They were all tightly worked, well put together matches, but none felt as epic or dramatic as say Bryan vs Brock. I've come away from every match thinking Styles is clearly a lesser worker than Bryan also.
    Everyone is a lesser worker than Bryan though.

Shock Reviews Archive

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

Styles was better in the Rumble match for sure, the others Bryan was I would say but that's really no shame.

Relentless Admin

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    Everyone is a lesser worker than Bryan though.

And to me that Brock match is one of the best matches in the company from the last few years. I get bringing it up to say Bryan is a special wrestler, but not so much to debate is AJ really that great? If Bryan’s going to be the bar, a lot of #1 contenders are going to look weak.

I really think AJ would benefit from doing anything other than a 4th straight year of doing WWE title picture stuff. His booking is becoming typecast of having long drawn out programs that have to have iffy finishes to explain rematches. Even I’m starting to think this is getting stale.

WAKE UP

Status

AJ vs Orton was decent but ultimately forgettable. Granted Orton hasn't done much in years, but it was another big AJ match that fell short. I expect a lot of people would have had him as their #1 WWE guy at the start of this but I can see that slipping as the rest of the year goes on.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

I think he's got WWE sewn up already for number 1. All his competition (Johnny, Roman to name a couple) have big negatives to their claim, as opposed to AJ having good but unspectacular matches.

Shock Reviews Archive

Relentless Admin

Status

I thought the match was good but nothing to write home about. Probably the best non-stipulation Orton match in years unless i’m Forgetting something.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

He did the best he could against Orton. Probably overachieved if anything but definitely not a blow away performance.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information