Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: NXT UK Takeover: Blackpool - Jan. 12, 2019 - Card & Discussion

WAKE UP

Status

Re: NXT UK Takeover: Blackpool - Jan. 12, 2019 - Card & Discussion

Opening tag was alot of fun but the length and Drake not being particularly good stopped it from reaching that great match status. Thought MM were great, surprisingly strong showing from Seven selling his ass off throughout. Heat section was pretty boring but picked up when they went into the big end run, just felt like it went too long and had a bit much at the end though for me. Still a good match though I want to see more of 3 of the 4 guys in it.

Mastiff-Dennis was a fun props match, though I thought the fans chants were insufferable. Parts were a bit janky, that opening punch exchange reminded me of Matt Morgan and Crimson, but I liked how Dennis kept selling how much strength he was having to use to lift Mastiff up.

I've like Storm and Ripley in the past but thought this match was pretty boring, and Storm looked diva-level terrible at points later in the match.

main event was pretty decent, better than I was expecting considering the length and people Coffey isn't much.

nothing on the show blew me away but I enjoyed most of it, looking forward to see where they go next with a lot of these guys

[Knockin' on Heaven's Door]

Status
      Country                    England

Opener was great & MOTN for sure. Glad GYV got the belts, Moustache Mountain are already superstars, they need to drag others up to their level.

Finn/Devlin was a nice surprise, and I'm glad Devlin was straight up destroyed like I feared. I mean, they could have gone that way believably, but having a main roster guy come in a squash one of your new roster would have been disastrous. Felt this exposed some of Finn's worse habits, but at least it played into making Jordan look good.

No DQ match was fine. liked how it was mostly Eddie bring the weapons in, showing who was more confident in their own destructive powers. Glad Big Dave's streak is still in place, could lead to an interesting showdown based on later.

Couldn't get into the Women's match at all, but at least Toni came out of it looking like a star. With KLR & Jazzy coming in, can see Rhea going back to NXT US know she's had her little run. Good time to end Toni's chase too as it's likely they're gonna repeat the story with MM. Why was Charlotte even here?

Main event would have been MOTN if it was 10 minutes shorter. I'm gonna bring it up here as it was the biggest culprit of the show, but did ANYONE get a win off hitting their finisher first time tonight? Felt like a WM where finishers all of a sudden become stupidly ineffective for some reason. Agreed with Ed about the treatment of Joe post match, they spent 30 minutes making the guy look on Pete's level to make him look like a geek straight after. But anyway, WALTER!

Also, Pete, shave the facial hair mate, it looks shit.

Can't see a Takeover WM weekend but can see some of the UK guys flying out to maybe tape a show or two.

Solid show overall, has the albatross of being a "Takeover" so it's gonna get compared to some of the American epics unfortunately, but as a starting point for the brand it was great. Loads of talent came out of the show better than they did going in and the whole brand looks pretty good for the immediate future.

The Planet's Admin

Status
      Country                    England

I'm gonna bring it up here as it was the biggest culprit of the show, but did ANYONE get a win off hitting their finisher first time tonight?
    Finn. And if big bomber's finisher is the rolling cannonball, then I think he only hit that through the table to win.

Felt like anyone who lost, had to also have their finish kicked out of on the way.

To the letter of the law

Status
      Country                    Ireland

Watched this show last night. Like a few others, I watched the first episode of the show (first couple maybe even?) until they started doing double shows every week on the Network and that turned me off. Watched the go-home show just to get an idea of what to expect, as the only wrestling I ever really take in is main roster WWE and NXT, so a lot of people here I wasn't aware of.

Enjoyed the show for the most part. I'd echo all the sentiments on Tyler Bate. Don't think I've ever seen him in a match that wasn't above average at least. Had just assumed that Moustache Mountain would win the belts, so Bate could have the distinction of being the first UK Champion and first UK Tag Champion, but didn't hate the idea of Gibson and Drake winning, as they could've probably use the win and set up the chase for the belts instead going forward.

Had quite high expectations for the Womens title match having watched the Mae Young Classic and enjoyed the work of Storm and especially Ripley, but it was probably the most underwhelming match of the night for me. I think as it's been mentioned by others, the amount of finisher kick outs throughout the show was a bit of a turn off, but for whatever reason, Storm kicking out of the Riptide was the one that I felt was most egregious. Given she'd already been beaten down quite a bit for a lot of the match, I think it would've been enough for Storm to come back and win the match to tell that story.

Main event was decent, considering I'd never seen a Joe Coffey match before. Definitely ten minutes too long though. Either on here or twitter, I'd seen people compare Coffey to Triple H (promo wise) so I guess they felt they needed to go all out and have Coffey try to have a forced epic too? Still, a decent match, but the finisher kick outs again felt a bit much, and as Ed mentioned; what exactly was going on with the top rope botch? Bad enough they went for it once, but them going right back to it a second time really bugged me. Just takes me out of a match sometimes when things like that happen and they just go right back to try it again. Coffey was lucky he wasn't seriously hurt with that first fall especially.

Still, for someone that just dipped in and out of the product, I found this show quite enjoyable for the most part. And that staredown between Walter and Pete Dunne was tremendous to close the show. For me, that feels like a really big match for the next UK Takeover show. I take it there's no date set yet for the next UK Takeover? Guessing it'll be sometime in April/May after WrestleMania?

FKA RaiZ-R

Status

So, I could've probably got on here sooner to talk about the live experience of this show but while I was in Blackpool it was really nice to spend some quality time with friends I don't get to see as often as I'd like to so I wasn't much for staring at my phone (except for when we went Pokemon hunting down the front because that road is a fucking treasure trove - but that was a group experience) and when I got back home on Monday morning the flu that I had been fending off all weekend finally hit me like a fucking truck and floored me for the last few days. I actually slept the entirety of Wednesday pretty much.

Anyway, the atmosphere for this show was fucking incredible. I've been to WWE shows before and tiny little indies like FutureShock, I've been to NOAH shows and ROH shows and TNA shows and probably more PROGRESS shows than all the rest combined at this point (I think that's actually a lie but I've been to a few is my point) but nothing has ever felt like this. You could feel the anticipation throughout the audience that this night was something special to be savoured and I think in any other circumstance certain matches on this card would've fallen completely flat and left people disappointed but the crowd were hot all night long and desperate to help pull anybody struggling out of it by supporting them in everything they did rather than shitting on them for a botch or such.

We got three dark matches which I'm assuming were taped for this weeks NXT:UK that I've yet to watch, all were solid but the tag match was really good and well worth checking out if indeed it is going to be aired on the show.

The show started and I knew it was gonna happen but the pop for Moustache Mountain was a big one and was a shining example of how in sync the crowd were and how invested we all were in this team in particular; I genuinely thought that there was no way Trent and Tyler could lose because the crowd would shit on it and the response throughout the match only solidified that for me - I figured if Gibson and Drake went over there'd be a fucking riot. The match itself was phenomenal live, and while I don't think anything else on the card lived up to it, nothing felt out of place following it either. This is one of the only matches I've had chance to watch back since getting home and I think it goes without saying that being there live gave all the matches an added edge for anyone in the crowd; it absolutely holds up and is a great match on TV, but in person this was off the charts fantastic and had everyone going bonkers. The Dooms Day Device outside the ring was an excellent spot and the perfect way to eliminate Bate from the match, the Vet's winning had me worried but not only did the crowd NOT shit on it, there was a momentary pop for the finish before everyone gathered their senses and remembered to take there shoe's off and hate Gibson again.

I'm not sure how I feel about Banks getting pulled from the card, especially when they actually re-confirmed that wasn't going to happen earlier in the day, BUT... I do know how I feel about Balor coming in as a replacement - regardless of the fact that Devlin made some errors in the match, regardless of the fact that it really was pretty much Balor-by-numbers, regardless of the fact that Devlin had just managed to dump the comparisons to Finn, regardless of the fact that really Devlin should be getting pushed to the moon on this brand and not getting randomly beat in matches with no build - FUCK ME THAT WAS AWESOME!! This is the only other match I've managed to watch since getting home and I can tell you that while the audience response to Balor's arrival was exceptional on TV, it was ten times that in the venue. The ENTIRE crowd was on their feet screaming and flinging their arms in the air in time with Finn because while the rumours had been out there that this was a possibility, everyone was kinda looking forward to Devlin/Banks and with good reason. The match was very good but I don't think I will ever forget that entrance for my entire life. That was special.

Mastiff/Dennis was the perfect match to follow a roller coaster of emotions like those first two matches. In the grand scheme it's low stakes, it had some fun spots and engaging characters but it took very little effort to watch it and as such everyone in the crowd got to cool down and just have a little fun without going seven shades of batshit mental.

The women's match was the first time I felt like the live crowd was actively elevating something. Looking on the Grappl app after the show, the match was averaging three and a half stars but I think off all of the matches on the card this was the one I was most worried about delivering on the night and I felt like, while both women did everything they could to make this match special, Rhea is far too green and Toni can struggle with bringing less experienced/developed workers up to the level she's reached. This was an alright match but I think the crowd lifted up from sub three stars to three or over. Toni winning was a special moment though and the outpouring of love for her from the crowd was genuine, it did get a little weird however that they got her to celebrate for so fucking long. The referee kept directing her back into the ring or into the crowd and getting her to celebrate more, which was cool and all, but after her initial celebration in the ring it seemed like most of the audience was spent and once it became obvious that she was being directed a large portion of the not-on-camera crowd just sat down and went quiet to wait for the main event.

Coffey/Dunne was something else I was a tad cautious about. I like Coffey but he's not exactly thrilling in ring on any level; he's the very definition of solid. The start of the match was slow and you got the feeling (read: you hoped) they were working towards something that would really wow everyone watching - which it what I think that top rope spot was going to be, but we'll get to that. There was a noticeable changing of gears in the match a couple of times when things were clearly getting more serious in terms of where this was all going and it brought the crowd up again and while I think this was a strange match to get the "Are you watching Vince McMahon" chants, it was probably more an overall feeling towards the show, rather than this specific match; it's another example of the live crowd making every effort to make sure this show came across as special as possible and by doing that, elevating something. The top rope spot was terrifying. Both times. The first time especially, silenced the crowd. We were all terrified we'd just seen Joe Coffey severely injured. My friend reckons what they were trying for was a Spanish Fly but hadn't actually seen if they could balance up there beforehand. Coffey a tank of a dude and there's just too much meat on him to be able to get into position the way he was. I've not rewatched this yet but it looked like he was trying to keep both feet on the ropes when what he should've done is put one behind him on the ring post/turnbuckle connector to steady himself, that could just be my vantage point though as were I was Dunne was blocking my view of most of Coffey. I get why they tried again, even though the referee very clearly told Coffey not to, this was the big finish. It going literally sideways made the actually finish feel a little anti-climactic but everyone was happy that the champion had retained.

WALTER's arrival was amazing. Everyone went nuts, singing and chanting and it did seem shitty that Coffey got punked out immediately after putting in what the company was clearly hoping would be a star making performance but I can't imagine that will go unaddressed going forward and fully expect a Coffey/WALTER feud before he goes after Dunne and the title proper.

Overall the show was fantastic live and the atmosphere in that venue was utterly electric. We were sat on the back row of the top balcony and had an absolutely tremendous view of the ring - couldn't see the 'tron for shit but neither could 90% of the audience so whatever. Every person on the show put everything into their performances and I had a fucking whale of a time.

As for when the next UK TakeOver will be? I think they might want to try for more eventually but one ever four-to-six months would probably be for the best. If there's another UK TakeOver before May I'll be surprised... but whenever it is, I really hope the main event is WALTER vs. Pete Dunne.

Thread Information