Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: WC's Best Workers Of the Late 2010s

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Re: WC's Best Workers Of the Late 2010s

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    would have expected Rollins to be seen as a higher placer, maybe I read the room wrong.
    A bad 2015 outside of a couple of matches, absent for much of 2016, a mediocre 2017, and a good first half of 2018. I can say right now I'm not even entertaining the idea of putting him on my list.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

The 100 Greatest WCW Matches - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

WAKE UP

Status

So I guess the top contenders may be all fairly predictable due to us agreeing on most of them. So the interested question is then, who are the guys who'd make the cut but not quite the top tier? Who are the #50 - #10 guys?

I am still catching up to 2017-2018 wrestling from outside the WWE so find my opinion of guys changing every weekend.

Is Cody Rhodes any good as a main event worker? Is Keith Lee more Apollo Crews than Willie Mack? Does Io Shirai have appeal outside hardcore joshi enthusiasts? I'm not sure yet.

Admin in Lockdown

Status
      Country                    England

So I guess the top contenders may be all fairly predictable due to us agreeing on most of them. So the interested question is then, who are the guys who'd make the cut but not quite the top tier? Who are the #50 - #10 guys?
    Guys who jump out at me straight away are ones that for one reason or another haven't been consistently great and it wasn't really their fault. So someone like Katsuyori Shibata who was my favourite guy in New Japan from 2016-April 2017 I still want to fit onto my list even though he'd be retired for 3 years of it. Likewise Bryan is someone I'd want on because he'll continue to show he's the GOAT next year, but missing years of action because of WWE's doctors means I can't put him top 10. Hero will probably buck that trend because he was so great in 2016 that I can't not include him in my top 10 even though his output goes down once he signs with WWE.

Tag Teams are a good bet for a slot on the card but not good enough to touch the top 10. Usos certs for sure.

Is Cody Rhodes any good as a main event worker?
    No he absolutely is not. There's nothing of note from his ROH world title run, and the IWGP heavyweight title matches he had weren't up to the expected standard of that house style (which idk that might work in your favour if you watch the Okada match)

Is Keith Lee more Apollo Crews than Willie Mack?
    Well Keith Lee actually has some charisma and presence so I wouldn't liken him at all to Apollo, hits harder too and did get himself up to one of the best in the US scene standard before he left. He is more like Willie Mack but I don't see you liking him as much as you like Mack.

Does Io Shirai have appeal outside hardcore joshi enthusiasts? I'm not sure yet.
    She would if more people watched her, I expect her stock to rise in 2019 when she becomes a regular on Takeovers. I think she'll translate a lot better than some of the big male stars from Japan if someone new to modern puro watched a bunch of matches in preparation for this.

Main Eventer

Status

Davey Richards
    ROH 2003 - end of 2008 = best years of wrestling ever

WAKE UP

Status

does Richards even wrestle any more?

I liked Cody in WWE but there is some amusing irony to a guy leaving because he was tired of being a mid-card utility guy, only to stink once he starts working main events. I'm sure he doesn't see it that way, but still.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
    Davey Richards
    No. And this is someone who actually likes the guy .

Main Eventer

Status

does Richards even wrestle any more?

I liked Cody in WWE but there is some amusing irony to a guy leaving because he was tired of being a mid-card utility guy, only to stink once he starts working main events. I'm sure he doesn't see it that way, but still.
    Richards is retired and i wouldnt trust just Eds view of things. There are fans of Codys work in the idies as well.

He was offered a contract to go back to WWE in 2019 and turned it down.

Quote Originally Posted by MC 16 View Post
    No. And this is someone who actually likes the guy .
    Richards is god in pro wrestling.

Admin in Lockdown

Status

What does Cody being offered a WWE contract have to do with the question is he a good main event worker? They offered Curt Hawkins a contract a few years after they released him.

I praised Cody for his work with Ibushi earlier in the year and his hustle for All In, neither are examples of being a good main event worker.

WAKE UP

Status

Richards is retired and i wouldnt trust just Eds view of things. There are fans of Codys work in the idies as well.

He was offered a contract to go back to WWE in 2019 and turned it down.

Richards is god in pro wrestling.
    go on then, what are the best cody matches from the indies?

Main Eventer

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    What does Cody being offered a WWE contract have to do with the question is he a good main event worker? They offered Curt Hawkins a contract a few years after they released him.

I praised Cody for his work with Ibushi earlier in the year and his hustle for All In, neither are examples of being a good main event worker.
    It was in reference to Steventon saying Cody left WWE because he was midcarder to not doing much in the Indies which seemed based off your opinions of him.

Check out Cody vs Omega in ROH. He also had some good tag matches but im guessing youre not asking about those.

Honestly im not even a huge fan of Codys work. And i not even saying hes a top wrestler. In fact hes at the lower end of the spectrum through out his career. But i do think some fans on this site are so blinded by hate for anything Elite related or lot s of time ROH related that i wouldn't trust only their opinions. In other words just check some out for yourself.

if i was going to add any names to this based on what i have watched of the last few years.

it would be Adam Cole, Roderick Strong, Kyle O Reily, Sami Zayn, Styles, Saber Jr. Dunne, Cesaro, Neville
    Last edited by indyfan; 12-10-2018 at 08:59 PM.

The Flow

Status
      Country                    Canada

It was in reference to Steventon saying Cody left WWE because he was midcarder to not doing much in the Indies which seemed based off your opinions of him.

Check out Cody vs Omega in ROH. He also had some good tag matches but im guessing youre not asking about those.

Honestly im not even a huge fan of Codys work. And i not even saying hes a top wrestler. In fact hes at the lower end of the spectrum through out his career. But i do think some fans on this site are so blinded by hate for anything Elite related or lot s of time ROH related that i wouldn't trust only their opinions. In other words just check some out for yourself.

if i was going to add any names to this based on what i have watched of the last few years.

it would be Adam Cole, Roderick Strong, Kyle O Reily, Sami Zayn, Styles, Saber Jr. Dunne, Cesaro, Neville
    Take Adam Cole off that list and you are correct sir. I think Cole is a good wrestler who gets called an incredible wrestler because he has an incredible presence and is a top notch promo. He was easily the weakest part of the ladder match from TakeOver: NOLA and I was really disappointed in his match against Ricochet. He’s a good wrestler but he always leaves a lot to be desired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only time WWE came close to a good story line post Attitude Era was Undertaker/Mordecai - Dakstang
    [06:01 PM]Dakstang
    :
    Yeah I guess you are right. And I only want to be Daddy to my own kids. Sorry.

King EC

Status
      Country                    United States

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Mitch View Post
    Take Adam Cole off that list and you are correct sir. I think Cole is a good wrestler who gets called an incredible wrestler because he has an incredible presence and is a top notch promo. He was easily the weakest part of the ladder match from TakeOver: NOLA and I was really disappointed in his match against Ricochet. He’s a good wrestler but he always leaves a lot to be desired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    True. He's been spotty for the most part as a worker. I think he gets a boost from a lot of people because of his potential and comparisons to people like HBK and Edge. Like he always feels on the cusp of breaking out. But he does have a few really good pre-WWE tag matches to his name, as well as his bouts against O'Reilly at Final Battle '15 and '16 and the match with ZSJ at PWG All-Star Weekend. Of course his Extreme Rules match with Aleister was really good too. He might be worth a mention, but I'm going to have weigh all the options.
    ​​​​​​​​ 2019 King of Wrestling Clique

HOW ABOUT YOU READ THESE THINGS?

Watching TNA's monthly PPVs from the start
    WC's Greatest Superstars in WWE History

Burn It Down!: The Top 25 Matches of Seth Rollins' Career

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    China

This was a lot of fun for me before on a grander scale, so I'm sure this'll be good.

It's been a very wild & inconsistent 5 years in general. Virtually nobody's really been strong for the entire 5 years like the old days but a ton have had high marks so who even knows how this'll go.

In terms of consistency, I think it'll be hard to beat Ishii in that he's had a combination of both great wrestling & being in a prominent promotion. Even the other top stars in NJPW have all had their up & down moments.

AJ's definitely been the best in America overall in my eyes, but probably there are voices that will vote Seth Rollins, same kind of people that like Finn & Adam Cole & other lame wrorkers. I would again put Roderick over all them combined.

Cody's had some good matches, surrounded by about 10x more bad. I might put him before Omega though.

Io wouldn't be in my top 10 Joshi wrestlers but she's lightyears ahead of the Four Horsewomen in terms of in-ring output.

There are a few consistent standouts in my head.

WAKE UP

Status

Well, that's why I asked. When is the Cody vs Omega match from? I will give it a chance. Also I would still say tag matches worth recommending if he is good in them.

Adam Cole is trash, though. Top 5 Worst main event worker of the decade.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post

Io wouldn't be in my top 10 Joshi wrestlers but she's lightyears ahead of the Four Horsewomen in terms of in-ring output.

There are a few consistent standouts in my head.
    Of the horsewomen I think only Charlotte has an argument for this. She's one I'll consider

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

The 100 Greatest WCW Matches - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

Admin in Lockdown

Status

Omega/Cody in ROH was from Supercard of Honor on mania weekend. The had a rematch on one of the NJ US tours, but I'm sure the ROH match is enough for you to get an idea of what he's like in that setting.

Last Real Man Hype

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The EC View Post
    But he does have a few really good pre-WWE tag matches to his name, as well as his bouts against O'Reilly at Final Battle '15 and '16
    Haven't seen them, but considering ROH at the time, I'm sure their Hybrid Rules match a few years earlier tops them. Fantastic improvisation after blood flowing out of nowhere and turning it around from a match doomed to fail. Basically sealed Cole's spot as an uppercard babyface.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakstang
    You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

WAKE UP

Status

Not sure how many active puro viewers we have here but I'm interested to see how much buy non-NJPW Japanese workers get. Big Japan had loads of talent but I'm not too up on the current roster.

Is Kaito Kiyamiya a Top 50 guy?

Also will be interesting to see how much buy the Elite guys get. The only guy I can see getting any talk is Omega and I'm not sure I'd vote for him at this point.

Admin in Lockdown

Status

Not sure how many active puro viewers we have here but I'm interested to see how much buy non-NJPW Japanese workers get. Big Japan had loads of talent but I'm not too up on the current roster.

Is Kaito Kiyamiya a Top 50 guy?

Also will be interesting to see how much buy the Elite guys get. The only guy I can see getting any talk is Omega and I'm not sure I'd vote for him at this point.
    I feel like Kento Miyahara is an absolute must and a guy worth looking into if you haven't been following him. Easily the best person from All Japan. Your Sekimotos and Okabayashis will be in with a chance especially if Yuji stays fit next year. Meiko for sure is gonna be a contender for me.

On Kiyamiya there's not a tonne from before 2018 so it's really going to depend on how his reign gets on next year. I'm not sure he'd get into my top 50 for this year anyway because I've not watched much NOAH so there's little volume to go on, because he's around that ballpark.

I doubt I'll be able to have a list that doesn't include Kenny because as much as I dislike him, there are flashes of brilliance and he's had both important and great matches here and there. Maybe I'm underestimating how many people I can confidently say have had a better 5 years.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    China

Hideki & likely Nomura will be way up on my list. Oka & Sekimoto have both been injured & Sekimoto after 2015 really hasn't been that special outside of wrestling Hideki & a couple of Strong BJ & WM weekend matches now & then because his body's breaking down. If Oka can bang the next year he can rise up pretty high. The rest of Strong BJW isn't even close & more than not are actively bad.

Kento just by volume has to be up there. As an in-ring worker I think he's regressed. I think Akiyama has to be a contender. KAI has a case taking into account W-1. The rest of AJPW it'll be tough, Zeus just came into his own last year.

Kaito's just so young. Kotoge, Harada, Kenou, Sugiura, even Nakajima all have way better cases than him. I think Go might be one of the most underrated candidates. He was a revelation in AJPW & in NOAH has been a top performer. I think he could easily hit top 5 for me.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information