Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When an Athlete Dominates a Sport: Volume 1

Banned Helping A Friend

Status
      Country                    Norway

Re: When an Athlete Dominates a Sport: Volume 1

Quote Originally Posted by Vayne View Post
    It's okay, some people want to pretend that LeBron is as good as Jordan, too.

I hate to bring up a semi-dead thread, but c'mon: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Karl Malone. Both are 1st and 2nd for NBA Career Points and they simply dominated the court whenever they played.

Another good shout is Wilt Motherfuckin' Chamberlain and his 100-point game.

Cardcaptor

Status
      Country                    United States

True, but they were also leaps and bounds better than anyone else at the time. They had little competition, and just steamrolled everyone. Big fish, small pond.

Their actual skillset and ceiling for talent was lower than Jordan or LeBron.

Then again, it's tough to compare eras.
    Everything will surely be alright.

ʕノ•ᴥ•ʔノ ︵ ┻━┻

Status
      Country                    Norfolk Island

Okay...let's bring it back to the topic at hand.

I always wondered how a bout between Tyson and Wladimir Klitschko (both in their heydays) would end. I think when it really comes down to the word "dominate", there has to be a mention of the Klitschko brothers at some point.

On Vacation

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

Quote Originally Posted by The Loocha Bear View Post
    Okay...let's bring it back to the topic at hand.

I always wondered how a bout between Tyson and Wladimir Klitschko (both in their heydays) would end. I think when it really comes down to the word "dominate", there has to be a mention of the Klitschko brothers at some point.
    That's a good fucking question Loocha Bear because just like comparing eras with Basketball and Football, Boxing is just at tough I feel. Tyson in his prime would have you shook before the bell, neither Klitschko Brother would by Tyson even with his Speed and Power. It would of been a slugfest similar to the fight of the year I felt in 2017 with Anthony Joshua and Wladimir Klitschko with both guys going down, but I think Tyson would win on points no way would he beat them with a KO if were talking about prime. It sucks because alot of people don't remember the Klitschko brothers and their dominance in the sport. It was a down time in the Heavyweight Division in those days, because they make it that way because they were unstoppable.

I always wanted to see a fight between the two brothers, and I know those two seeing Fury vs Wilder fight this past Saturday doesn't light a fire in both of them to want to get in the Ring again. Oh and don't worry I'm still deciding whether to make separate threads or just put the next entry here so going a little off topic is okay with me. Just right trying to decide who to talk about next, while updating my other Threads in the coming days
    Last edited by Kairi HoHo; 12-05-2018 at 02:01 AM.

Banned Helping A Friend

Status

If it's a slugfest that goes longer than 4 rounds, Tyson loses. Even in his prime, Tyson had a lung condition which forced his fighting style to be quick, visceral, and bludgeoning. If the fight goes into the later rounds, Tyson will wear himself out.

I used to debate with a coworker on Ali vs. Tyson, and we came to a mutual agreement: If Tyson gets close to Ali and Muhammed can't get out of a corner, Tyson will win. If Ali can move around and has room to dodge Tyson, Mike will wear himself out and Ali wins.

Can we also say that Mike Tyson had out of this world speed. Tyson was ridiculously fast in both his dodging and punching.

On Vacation

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Barrows View Post
    If it's a slugfest that goes longer than 4 rounds, Tyson loses. Even in his prime, Tyson had a lung condition which forced his fighting style to be quick, visceral, and bludgeoning. If the fight goes into the later rounds, Tyson will wear himself out.

I used to debate with a coworker on Ali vs. Tyson, and we came to a mutual agreement: If Tyson gets close to Ali and Muhammed can't get out of a corner, Tyson will win. If Ali can move around and has room to dodge Tyson, Mike will wear himself out and Ali wins.

Can we also say that Mike Tyson had out of this world speed. Tyson was ridiculously fast in both his dodging and punching.
    I mean Tyson fought plenty of fights even in his prime after four Rounds or so, people just remember and thought all his wins came early which they did a good majority of the time. I mean Tyson won the WBC Heavyweight Title in Two Rounds, the WBA Heavyweight from decision, and IBF Heavyweight Title from decision as well. It would of been great to see how even better Tyson could of been if Cus stayed with Tyson it not for his death even up to the Buster Douglas fight which his prime ended there because when he came back his skills was never as great in my opinion.

Cus had Tyson eating, sleeping, shitting, dreaming Boxing every day of his life. He never took it to that level again.

Banned Helping A Friend

Status

It also doesn't help he had that leech Don King sucking his passion for boxing dry right out from under him.

On Vacation

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Barrows View Post
    It also doesn't help he had that leech Don King sucking his passion for boxing dry right out from under him.
    The Ultimate Leech for sure. Tyson had alot of those when that money started rolling in, and he was so young at the time he didn't have someone saying no Mike..do this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information