Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: 30 Days of: Randy Orton

Last Real Man Hype

Status

Re: 30 Days of: Randy Orton

Eh, House of Horrors was pretty hard to enjoy even as WrestleCrap when The Final Deletion was already a thing and much funnier and more creative.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakstang
    You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Day 26:

Brock Lesnar vs. Randy Orton – Summerslam 2016

After missing the first half of 2016, Orton returned shortly after the brand split and was named as Brock Lesnar’s opponent for Summerslam. It’s a match 14 years in the making, as promoted by WWE, thanks to both of them debuting on WWE in 2002, and both being trained in OVW. And I quite like that WWE brought up the parallels between the two – both were at the time the two youngest World Champions in WWE history. The pre-match video package is really cool, it’s not flashy, it’s just two of them doing interviews about the other and I really enjoy it. It makes up for the lack of feud going into the match and still makes it feel like a big deal.

The match itself is pretty standard Lesnar stuff. Once Suplex City became a thing at Summerslam 2014 just two years prior, the quality in Lesnar’s matches dipped significantly. The Cena match was amazing for how shocking it was, and the first Reigns match worked because it played off the expectation from the Cena match. Since then though, the match quality fell. Which is a shame because Brock is so much better than a suplex spammer. It never felt like any of his opponents, Orton included, tried to think of any way of combating the suplex spamming. The opening of this match really lacks urgency and it feels like every other Lesnar match. Orton does little to fight back or make any sort of comeback, which essentially means he was there to do nothing but be ragdolled. The crowd is noticeably dead as well, even for the early big spot like Orton getting chucked through a table.

The match swings when Orton hits an RKO on the announce table to Brock. The whole story of the match is that no matter what happens, the RKO is an equaliser. But then when Orton does hit it, it doesn’t feel like a big deal at all. Lesnar is back up seconds later after taking an RKO on the announce table and in the ring, so it isn’t an equaliser at all. I don’t think it makes sense for Orton, a guy that WWE hypes as being one of the most dangerous and vicious wrestlers in the world, to be ragdolled like any other Lesnar opponent. It makes the match feel very lazy.

The finish is amazing, but also a bit nonsensical. There’s two issues I have with it. The first is that I don’t understand why Lesnar resorted to it because he wasn’t in any danger of losing the match, and Orton had only kicked out of one F5. I don’t think the reaction was warranted, whereas if Lesnar had gotten close to losing, or if Orton had survived a lot more punishment, then I could understand the finish. The referee stoppage didn’t work for Bryan Danielson in ROH because he would do it at any point, it worked because Bryan would have these 30-60 minute epics and it was his final effort against a tired and broken opponent. Not something from one finisher kickout in a match that barely went over ten minutes.

The second, and most important reason is that the finish is ludicrous. WWE are so paranoid about blading not being allowed, yet they allow one of their talents to be legitimately bloodied by another so he gets busted open hardway. Where is the logic in that? Blading is a relatively safe practice to get a visually great result so that you can do finishes like this without resorting to trying to concuss your stars. Having someone legitimately punch and elbow your wrestlers is dangerous and negligent. And it completely undermines what wrestling is. It’s fake fighting with the intention of creating an illusion that it’s real. And I understand certain things can’t be faked or people might lay in their shots every now and then, and people do get hurt, but making someone bleed is a very very easy and safe thing to fake, without resorting to this. Visually, it is fantastic to see Orton bloodied like this and the TKO finish makes perfect sense off of that. Logically, ethically, and responsibly, this is dumb as fuck, and a ridiculous way of trying to circumvent their "no blading" rule.

**1/2

Tomorrow, the best Randy Orton match ever.

RKO Of The Day:

Thanks to Jim for the RKO of the day

30 Days of WC Member's Choice - Coming Soon - PM me match suggestions

Shock Reviews Archive

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

This might come as a shock to some people but I thought this was borderline great and my favourite match of that years SummerSlam. It was shorter and more compact than the rest of the matches on the show and it was. I thought Orton's bumping for the germans, I really enjoyed Lesnar rag dolling Orton as well. And to top it off, I thought that the finish was excellent in my opinion. The legit elbow really doesn't bother me al that much and I think it made the finish work, and the pool of Orton's blood that followed helped too. Only flaw was Orton didn't get much chance to sine and the bad crowd.

THE MAN

Status

I actually liked the match a hell of a lot too, although your points on the hardway finish I completely agree with Shock.

Cena/AJ the clear MOTN

God of Destruction

Status
      Country                    Slovak Republic

I hate these mid-air RKO counters. You can see the RKO coming a mile away.
    "You only need to hang mean bastards, but mean bastards you need to hang."

Last Real Man Hype

Status

It’s a pet peeve of mine too. It’s why I’ve never liked that famous Shelton/HBK Superkick spot, because it’s obvious Shelton wasn’t going for any particular move other than landing his mark.

The worst I’ve ever seen was in early TNA when Elix Skipper apparently thought a diving headbutt in front of a standing X-Pac was a good idea, even if it didn’t result in an X-Factor counter.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakstang
    You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

I don't mind the mid air RKO if it's a move that the other guy does regularly. E.G. Punk's at Wrestlemania 27 is pretty natural, or catching Del Rio off the corner enziguiri.

Can't say I'm a big fan of the diving headbutt attempt by Carlito though.

Shock Reviews Archive

Friendship King

Status
      Country                    Australia

The Orton/Lesnar finish was awful. It's a choreographed sport meant to give the illusion of being 'real' while ensuring there's as little risk of injury as possible. No-one saw the hardway blood and thought 'Wow they found a way around their own self-imposed rule and it only cost one of their major stars a concussion, what absolute geniuses, Stephen Hawking is shitting himself in awe.' And the feud didn't need a TKO finish, it was a match that was a match because it was SummerSlam and Brock needed an opponent. Outside of, like, two insults, there wasn't a deep, long-standing hatred between the two, they weren't heated rivals for years, and I don't think they ever even reference each other outside of this feud more than once. It was a shock finish to get people talking, which... I guess worked, but surely there's a better shock finish that doesn't result in one of your most popular workers being concussed.

I dig mid-air RKOs but nine times out of ten it's someone going for the flying nothing. When it's something the victim usually goes for it looks great and authentic and superb. Sidenote, if the mid-air RKO of Evan Bourne gets overlooked I'm going to cry.

♫ ~ Anywhere, just not here ~ ♫

Doubting El Dandy

Status
      Country                    UK

Quote Originally Posted by Smooth Jazz Wolf View Post
    I dig mid-air RKOs but nine times out of ten it's someone going for the flying nothing. When it's something the victim usually goes for it looks great and authentic and superb. Sidenote, if the mid-air RKO of Evan Bourne gets overlooked I'm going to cry.
    Yep, 100%. A Diving Nothing is obvious what's coming, especially in a context where they wouldn't normally do it. That's why the Curb Stomp in to RKO at Mania is the GOAT for me, because it looked spectacular and I didn't realise that was what they were going for until it happened.

I will say that the Jumping Nothing in to the RKO spot was more shocking when it wasn't a "thing". So the one against Carlito there was shocking because the move wasn't called "RKO Outta Nowhere" at the time, so it was surprising when it did come out of nowhere. Same with the Sweet Chin Music to Shelton.

And Shock, those two Wyatt reviews were top notch. Really enjoyed them. Not the first match obviously, but the review of it. House of Horrors I fucking love, though. It's objectively terrible, but I love that about it. I get so bored of competent-but-meaningless wrestling that when something wonderfully appalling comes along I'm all over it. There's a reason WrestleCrap and Botchamania are things, after all.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Day 27:

World Heavyweight Championship: Randy Orton (c) vs. Christian – Over the Limit 2011

Stop.

If you haven’t already watched the Randy Orton vs Christian SmackDown match that I reviewed earlier in the series, stop. Put that on. Then watch this match.

After winning the World Heavyweight Championship from Christian just nights after Christian had won the title, Orton defends the championship for the first time against the former champion. Christian hasn’t turned heel yet, so this is another face versus face match between the two. This match is all about counters. Almost every move in this match is a play off the previous match. Counters flowing into other counters.I think this is how to do a match with a hot finishing sequence without having to rely on any finishers being kicked out of. By working smart, well thought out near falls, they managed to create a great finishing sequence with believable near falls.

This is a match that highlights how good Randy Orton is in the role as the babyface ace. In this match, Christian outwrestles Orton early on by constantly countering and staying ahead. Orton adapts to Christian’s offence right the way through the match and matches him blow for blow. I can’t understate how much I love matches like this where the wrestlers don’t treat their audience like idiots. They take the spots you expect to see and twist your expectations. This is when wrestling is fun to watch.

I can’t express how much I love the spear off the punt near fall. It’s great because the Spear had already been teased earlier on in the match, and Christian had used it to win matches leading up to this. And it’s a fantastic piece of character work from Orton because he ends up almost feeling sorry for Christian because he did nothing wrong – whereas the punt was reserved only for people that he didn’t like. It’s a great moment of empathy from a character that isn’t known for it, which is smart because this entire feud is all about the characters of both people. It would lead to Christian’s heel turn, and then Orton being more ruthless again. I loved that it set up for Orton later down the line being like “I’ve become too nice, now I’m just going to kick your ass”.

Christian was phenomenal in this match. His selling and facial expressions were great. Each near fall that he gets makes him more and more frustrated, which would eventually lead to his heel turn. Plus it causes him to make a mistake that costs him the match. I also love the way he sold the Billy Goat’s Curse, which was an amazing near fall off a move that Orton had never used before.

The timing and structure of the finish is superb with each near falls getting more and more believable. One finisher ending the match still feels satisfying because as a viewer we've seen that Orton earned that RKO through such a tough match. Great stuff. These two couldn’t have a bad match with each other if they tried and this is the best of the bunch. And it’s fitting that both these guys had their best match with the other.

Thus ends the 2011 Randy Orton love fest of this thread. I loved this guy back then, and I don't think he put a foot wrong just about all year. When you watch him in this match it makes me miss this Randy Orton. The motivated, exciting, smart wrestling Randy Orton. And while we have gotten flashes of him being great still, never has he had a more consistent year as a wrestler.

****1/2

Tomorrow, just how out of touch is late 2013 WWE?

RKO Of The Day

Shock Reviews Archive

Who is that being RKO'd?

THE MAN

Status

Looks like Wayne Brady but I don't remember that ever happening

Fantastic match, Orton > Punk in 2011. I can't say WOTY because I wasn't watching much global wrestling, but he was the best in WWE for sure.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

I thought this was supposed to be his best match. This was an excellent match. The counters were done smartly and it built towards a great finish. Great chemistry between both guys on top of their games here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Who is that being RKO'd?
    Wayne Brady iirc.

Edit: Ed said it already

[Knockin' on Heaven's Door]

Status

So if this is Randy's best, where does the Cactus Jack No Holds Barred match rank?

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Postman Dave View Post
    So if this is Randy's best, where does the Cactus Jack No Holds Barred match rank?

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
    A very very close 2nd.

I think those are comfortably his two best and then it's a long way to find number 3.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Shock Reviews Archive

Ambidextrous Birdcatcher

Status
      Country                    United States

The shooting star RKO is surely being saved for day 30.

I have to rewatch the whole Christian feud. I loved it then but I think at that time I didn't appreciate it as much cause I was so caught up with the whole Punk angle.

Spoiler:

Status

I just rewatched the entire series between Orton and Christian today. My rankings go:

1. SummerSlam
    2. Over the Limit
    3. Smackdown
    4. Money in the Bank
    5. Capitol Punishment

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The EC View Post
    I just rewatched the entire series between Orton and Christian today. My rankings go:

1. SummerSlam
    2. Over the Limit
    3. Smackdown
    4. Money in the Bank
    5. Capitol Punishment
    I would go:

1. Over the Limit
    2. Capitol Punishment
    3. Summerslam
    4. Money in the Bank
    5. Smackdown

All are great. I'm a little bit lower on the Summerslam match than others. I also think that the Capitol Punishment match is superb and pretty underrated.

Shock Reviews Archive

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    I would go:

1. Over the Limit
    2. Capitol Punishment
    3. Summerslam
    4. Money in the Bank
    5. Smackdown

All are great. I'm a little bit lower on the Summerslam match than others. I also think that the Capitol Punishment match is superb and pretty underrated.

I definitely have a preference for first and last matches in feuds. You know, unless they blow.

Curtain Jerker

Status

Randy Orton is an interesting one.

I've honestly never liked or enjoyed his work.

That being said, I can put aside my personal likes and dislikes and look and look at things objectively. Orton is a solid worker and character and he's had plenty of good matches in his career. How many of those matches do I actually remember or have gone back and watched more than once? Very few. I'm struggling to think of 5 truly memorable matches he's had in his career (vs Foley at Backlash 2004, vs Benoit at Summer Slam 2004 and vs Cena at Summer Slam 2007. I honestly can't think of any others off the top of my head). He's been over as a heel and a face most of his career though and fans love the whole RKO outta nowhere deal. I don't have any issue with people that highly rate Orton. I just personally have never cared for him at all, especially in the last 5 years or so.

Some of the issues I have with him are his shit attitude and the mountain of things he's gotten away with over the years. He's a protected species like Shawn Michaels was. So many wrestlers have been punished far more severely for far lesser transgressions. Orton always gets a pass because he was the chosen one. What would get most guys fired got Orton a slap on the wrist and that's just fucking bullshit. I can't support someone like that.

Another thing he has in common with Shawn Michaels is his tendency to throw his toys out of the cot when something goes wrong in a match. They draw so much attention to something that's gone wrong and then begrudgingly finish the match all the while with a sour look on their face and a clear lack of enthusiasm. It takes me right out of the match when I see that shit. This isn't the best analogy, but it's like as if I'm watching a movie and suddenly the scene turns into an outtake. It kills the immersion. Michaels ruined that Summer Slam 1995 ladder match finish by throwing the biggest dummy spit I've ever seen in wrestling. Orton has the infamous Kofi Kingston "STUPID" dummy spit to his name (among plenty of other similar incidents).

There's many lesser wrestlers as far as in-ring skill and/or mic work than Orton that I have enjoyed much more over the years. I seriously can't wait till he hangs up the boots. These days I find something else to do when an Orton match is happening on the rare occasions I'm actually watching the product. I just have absolutely no interest in any of his feuds or matches.

Also, just to dig the boots in that little bit more, he has easily my 2 least favorite theme songs in the history of wrestling (Burn In My Light & Voices). I'd rather listen to Steinerize or American Males than those shitty songs.

Thread Information