Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: 30 Days of: Randy Orton

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

Re: 30 Days of: Randy Orton

Another great match between these two. Benoit is easily Orton's best opponent and even though this is arguably the weakest match they had, it's still a pretty great match to have. Orton looked like a star coming out of this, Benoit lost the title on a big stage, putting over a younger star rather than lose the title back to Triple H which wouldn't have surprised me at the time, and had a kick ass match. Good all round. Now ugh everything after this match but this is a match I look fondly at.

In a different year, Orton/Benoit would likely get more attention as being one of the better WWE matches of the year. Instead, there were so many standouts especially with Benoit and to a lesser extent Orton, that this match mostly gets forgotten. I would compare Orton winning as a less extreme example of Nash beating Goldberg at Starrcade. In both cases, it was a big deal beating someone who had beaten everyone else, only for the subsequent new title reign to be a disappointment before the belt went back to the guy that Benoit/Goldberg originally won the title from.

THE MAN

Status

I watched this match recently and thought it was really good match that could of gone to the next level with 5 more minutes, but I suppose as a first big match between the two it makes look forward to the rematch.

Best RKO ever for sure. Orton looked so happy he nailed it.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFXPRgKXv8

Bonus Match:

No Holds Barred – Chris Benoit vs. Randy Orton – SmackDown, 27th January 2006

I really enjoyed the mini-feud between these two in early 2006. It started with Randy Orton being a substitute for the "injured" Booker T, and even winning the United States Championship for Booker T in another really good match a couple of weeks earlier. The story going into this match is cool – both of them are in the Royal Rumble and both of them see the other as a threat that they have the opportunity to take out. Plus Benoit is pissed off that Orton won the US Title for someone else.

I think watching this immediately after the Summerslam match and I can see what the Summerslam match lacks. This match feels a lot more heated and stiffer, but it also keeps a lot of the positives from the earlier match (that everything feels like a struggle). Some of the chops from Benoit were damn right nasty and Orton's chest takes a shit load of punishment. This is my kind of no dq match because everything feels hate filled and gritty. They don’t use a lot of plunder, they just use their environment and by bending the rules. The only weapon that is really used it a trash can lid, but because of how they brawled around ringside it still felt like a proper no DQ match.

This was a really good match, a perfect long TV match between two established stars. SmackDown in 2006 was a lot of fun and it was in part thanks to TV feuds like Orton vs Benoit, Finlay vs Lashley, Henry vs Mysterio that never made it to PPV but were very enjoyable. Apart from a couple of slow points (and I feel like I’ve repeated that for the last 30+ days), they went all out for over 25 minutes in a terrific brawl. It had the extra edge that their Summerslam match lacked, and I think it’s probably their best match together. I wouldn't say I agree with MC's point about Benoit being Orton's best opponent, not while Christian exists, but he's got an argument for number 2.

That wraps up 30 Days of Randy Orton. Definitely one of my favourites so far thanks to the mix of good, bad, and the ugly and the great participation of you guys. Thank you all for your great comments in the thread, yous have all helped make this one of the better ones, I feel.

I’m happy to announce that the 30 Days Of series will resume next time, and it’s a special one next time around ...

Spoiler:

Now, fans of 1990s AJPW might be forgiven for getting excited at the prospect of 30 Days of Mr Excitement Johnny Ace, but unfortunately that’s not the case. My favourite 30 Days Of series so far was the 30 Days Of WC’s Choice so I have decided to bring it back for a sequel.

I’m leaving it up to you, the WC Universe, to pick the matches. Anyone is welcome to slide into my DMs and give me some match suggestions. I’m willing to review just about anything from anywhere, the only thing I ask is that the match is worth talking about. For example, if you want me to review a match from WSX, or 2002 TNA PPV, or a match from 2000 WCW Thunder, then that’s great – I love bad wrestling. If you want me to review Omega vs Okada, Flair vs Steamboat, or Negro Casas vs El Hijo del Santo, then that’s great – I love good wrestling from anywhere. Just don’t ask me to review Edge vs A-Train from Armageddon 2002 because I won’t have anything interesting to say!

If you’re looking for inspiration, have a read over the original 30 Days Of WC’s Choice.

http://wrestlingclique.com/showthread.php?t=162375

The only reason I won’t pick a match is if I: a) can’t find a way to watch it; b) I have nothing interesting to say about it; c) I’ve reviewed it a few times before; d) someone else has picked it. I’ll always let you know if I’m not going to review a match, and I’ll let you pick another.

So send the PMs, send as many matches as you like (I’ll take your first match as your top preference). Ideally what I’d like is 30+ matches from 30+ members, so get thinking guys, and get those PMs flying in. Once I'm happy with the variation and choice, I'll get the next series started.

30 Days of WC Member's Choice - Coming Soon - PM me match suggestions

Shock Reviews Archive

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

Be The Booker

Status
      Country                    Greece

This was probably my favorite "30 days of" thread to date. Well done Shock.

Will send you a few matches I'd like to see a review of. Prepare for some Kane love!

Spoiler:

#WC4Horsemen

THE MAN

Status

Never seen that match before. Will have to give it a watch later.

great to see a return of members choice. Will have a think of something I think you’d enjoy to write about.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Quote Originally Posted by RED View Post
    This was probably my favorite "30 days of" thread to date. Well done Shock.

Will send you a few matches I'd like to see a review of. Prepare for some Kane love!
    The scenes when everyone nominates a Kane match so I end up doing the much anticipated 30 Days of Kane thread after all

Shock Reviews Archive

THE MAN

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    The scenes when everyone nominates a Kane match so I end up doing the much anticipated 30 Days of Kane thread after all
    Kane never wrestled in ice ribbon, you’re ok.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Kane never wrestled in ice ribbon, you’re ok.
    actualllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyy

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

[Knockin' on Heaven's Door]

Status

*cracks knuckles*

matches coming up buddy! Great series as always, fascinating to see the same themes coming up throughout Orton's career, really good retrospective overall.

Scumbag Role Model

Status
      Country                    United States

I’ll try to send some later this week.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Damn, should've sent more Randy Orton matches

Doubting El Dandy

Status
      Country                    UK

Agreed 100% on this being the greatest RKO of all time.

Thanks for doing this, I've hugely enjoyed it. Probably my favourite I've read so far. It's served as a nice reminder of Orton's career, as I often forget about the good and the bad that he's done as he blends in to a meh middle ground. This reminded me that he's done a load of stuff that I really, really like, and even some of the garbage I have a weird affection for. On reflection, I've probably underplayed him in my head for a while now, and had I read this before the Top 50 wrestlers ever list I might have been more tempted to give him a spot. And the RKO list has been a fun addition. Great stuff.

God of Destruction

Status
      Country                    Slovak Republic

Are you going to do Kane or should I send you list of matches? Not sure what is next. I grew to quite enjoy these 30 days
    "You only need to hang mean bastards, but mean bastards you need to hang."

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Bump.

Got some fantastic matches so far, still a long way off our goal of 30 matches from 30 members. Keep the PMs and suggestions coming.

Shock Reviews Archive

THE MAN

Status

My suggestions are in.

God of Destruction

Status
      Country                    Slovak Republic

Bump.

Got some fantastic matches so far, still a long way off our goal of 30 matches from 30 members. Keep the PMs and suggestions coming.
    I thought it is only 10. I am sending another 20 right away
    "You only need to hang mean bastards, but mean bastards you need to hang."

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfs Rain View Post
    I thought it is only 10. I am sending another 20 right away
    I don't need 30 matches from each member, just a couple from each member will do. The series is only going to go on for 30 days, if I got 30 matches from everyone I'd still be doing this forever/

Especially since some people have sent me hour+ long matches already

Shock Reviews Archive

[Knockin' on Heaven's Door]

Status

Especially since some people have sent me hour+ long matches already
    you came so close to getting one from me but I restrained myself