Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 30 Days of: Randy Orton

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

30 Days of: Randy Orton

30 Days Of:

Randy Orton

A hot topic on WC over the last few days has been Randy Orton. Is he any good? Was he ever over? Is he overpushed? Is he an underrated wrestler? Never fear though because I'm here to present you with 30 Days of Randy Orton, as we explore every part of Orton's career from his early days right to today. As I was looking up and down the matches I could pick, I realised what an absolute gold-mine Orton's career is for one of these series, and I just couldn't wait to get started.

For the special feature this time, not only will we have a match every day, but we'll also be looking at an RKO a day. He's got one of the most famous and popular finishers in WWE history, and I will be showing some of the best of them, listing them in the OP, and revealing what I believe the be the greatest RKO ever on Day 30.

First post will be later tonight. As always, your feedback makes these threads work and there's a lot to talk about here!

Match Listing
    Day 1: vs. John Cena - Summerslam 2007
    Day 2: vs. John Cena - Hell in a Cell 2014
    Day 3: vs. John Cena - Breaking Point 2009
    Day 4: vs. The Prototype - OVW, 19th January 2002
    Day 5: vs. John Cena - TLC 2013
    Bonus: vs. John Cena - Royal Rumble 2014

(the real list)

Day 1: vs. Christian - SmackDown, May 6th 2011
    Day 2: vs. Jinder Mahal - Battleground 2017
    Day 3: vs. CM Punk - Wrestlemania 27
    Day 4: vs. Christian vs. CM Punk vs. Daniel Bryan vs. Rob Van Dam vs. Sheamus - Money in the Bank 2013
    Day 5: w/ Chris Benoit, Chris Jericho & Maven vs. Batista, Edge, Snitsky & Triple H - Survivor Series 2004
    Bonus: w/ Edge, Gregory Helms, Johnny Nitro & Mike Knox vs. CM Punk, Jeff Hardy, Matt Hardy, Shawn Michaels & Triple H - Survivor Series 2006

Day 6: vs. Sheamus - Raw, 8th April 2013
    Day 7: vs. Hulk Hogan - Summerslam 2006
    Day 8: vs. Cesaro vs. Kevin Owens - Raw, 10th August 2015
    Day 9: vs. Mark Henry - Night of Champions 2011
    Day 10: vs. Jeff Hardy - Hell in a Cell 2018
    Bonus: vs. Jeff Hardy - Royal Rumble 2008

Day 11: vs. David Otunga - SmackDown, 2nd December 2011
    Day 12: Royal Rumble Match - Royal Rumble 2009
    Day 13: vs. Chris Jericho - Armageddon 2007
    Day 14: vs. Ric Flair - Taboo Tuesday 2004
    Day 15: vs. Triple H - Unforgiven 2004
    Bonus: vs. Triple H - No Mercy 2007

Day 16: vs. Batista - Armageddon 2008
    Day 17: vs. Rey Mysterio - No Way Out 2006
    Day 18: vs. Wade Barrett - Survivor Series 2010
    Day 19: vs. Bobby Roode - Fastlane 2018
    Day 20: vs. The Undertaker - Wrestlemania 21
    Bonus: vs. The Undertaker - SmackDown, 30th May 2002

Day 21: vs. John Cena vs. Triple H - Night of Champions 2009
    Day 22: vs. Cody Rhodes - SmackDown, 4th November 2011
    Day 23: vs. Daniel Bryan - Raw, 16th December 2013
    Day 24: vs. Rob Van Dam - Armageddon 2003
    Day 25: vs. Bray Wyatt - Wrestlemania 33
    Bonus: vs. Bray Wyatt - Payback 2017

Day 26: vs. Brock Lesnar - Summerslam 2016
    Day 27: vs. Christian - Over the Limit 2011
    Day 28: vs. Big Show - Survivor Series 2013
    Day 29: vs. Cactus Jack - Backlash 2004
    Day 30: vs. Chris Benoit - Summerslam 2004
    Bonus: vs. Chris Benoit - SmackDown, 27th January 2006

The RKO List

Last edited by Shock; 01-13-2019 at 11:33 AM.

30 Days of WC Member's Choice - Coming Soon - PM me match suggestions

Shock Reviews Archive

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

Heel Champion

Status
      Country                    Wales

Re: 30 Days of: Randy Orton

He's had some absolute gems but he's also had some right horrid moments haha, interested to see how your list pans out...however really looking forward to going back over the Foley feud that really set him on his way.
    I have a plan so cunning......

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

Hopefully these 30 days open up the amount of gems Randy Orton has produced since 2003. Been a huge fan of the guy since I was 5/6 years old so it'll be cool to see many different part of his careers. The good, the bad and the ugly.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Day 1:

WWE Championship: John Cena (c) vs. Randy Orton – WWE Summerslam 2007

Anyone remember when this match felt new and fresh? Somewhat surprisingly, despite both men debuting in 2002, they managed to avoid each other for a long time. Cena made his name on SmackDown, Orton on Raw. In 2005 they swapped brands and didn’t end up on the same brand until 2006. Even then they were kept apart for long parts. This felt like a match fitting for the Summerslam main event. Orton, after an up and down start to 2007 where he was getting into all sorts of trouble, was now getting a fresh push as a vicious concussion machine.

JR notes that Cena has been WWE Champion for 24 of the last 27 months. CM Punk and AJ Styles eat your heart out.

John Cena has developed a big match formula over the last few years, but back then he had his very own big match formula. This is similar to the Triple H match from Wrestlemania where they allow the crowd to manipulate what they do. That makes for a very interesting match where even something as basic as locking in a headlock will get great reactions. It's fascinating to watch some of these old Cena matches once the crowds started to turn on him because he could afford to almost let the crowd wrestle the match for him. Like most big crowds around this time, they are firmly anti-Cena. It meant that the crowd were way into every moment of the match, which I think helped mask Orton’s biggest weakness in his wrestling: controlling large portions of a match as a heel. We’ll talk more about that through this series.

I enjoyed this match a lot more than I have on previous watches but it still suffers from parts of the match dominated by Orton. His offence can be quite tedious at times. As mentioned though, the hot crowd helps even Orton’s offence feel important and exciting. The match picks up towards the end and becomes rather compelling once it becomes more back and forth. The finishing stretch is fun, but if I had one complaint it’s that it doesn’t feel equal. Orton goes down very easily, whereas Cena gets more kickouts. The match had built itself up as a battle between two equals, but the finishing sequence doesn’t complement that.

Still this is one of the better Cena vs Orton matches. When crowds were excited by the prospect of two young stars going head to head, and this match is probably the closest it feels to the Austin vs Rock that WWE so desperately wanted it to be. Almost great, but with a couple of niggly issues that keep it from reaching that next level.

***3/4

Tomorrow, Randy goes to hell in a surprisngly awesome match.

RKO Of The Day

The RKO list will update after each RKO is posted, with an ever-changing leaderboard of greatest RKOs.

Shock Reviews Archive

It's weird to think that back in 2007, Orton/Cena was a bit of a dream match solely because of the similarities and how they kept being held apart from each other. Now you look back at the feud and it feels like one of the stalest programs of the last 15 years.

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Ahh Cena/Orton. Avoided for 5 years and then done to death in 2

Glad you've decided to do Orton. He's truly a wrestler who seems to switch from one of the best wrestlers on the roster to one of the worst with some ease. Can't wait to relive some of his 2004-2006 & 2011 greatness.

Status
      Country                    United States

Aw yeah.

I really wish I could go back and time and really relive the rise of Cena and Orton. The two of them really are the biggest duo I'd say I've seen come up the ranks in my lifetime. For the most part they were the defining superstars of my peak fandom. I vaguely remember this match and I'd say the rating is about right. It wasn't any kind of defining matchup of the era like I'm sure they wanted it to be but it's still cool to look back on as their first big clash. Personally I hope we see Orton vs. Cena again at a SummerSlam or WrestleMania before they call it quits.

Matches I am most looking forward to/hoping you review here are Orton vs. Cactus from Backlash '04, Orton vs. Edge from Vengeance '04, Orton vs. Edge vs. Cena vs. Michaels from Backlash '07, Orton vs. Triple H from No Mercy '07, anything Orton vs. Christian from '11, Orton vs. Rollins from WrestleMania 31, Orton vs. Owens vs. Cesaro and for lols Orton vs. Bray in House of Horrors and Orton vs. Jinder from Backlash last year.

Status

This match was a pretty big deal when it happened. Looking back it was a pretty a good one and I'd say among their better ones, for sure. The crowd definitely elevated it a bit and Cena was in top form.

[Knockin' on Heaven's Door]

Status

A hot topic on WC over the last few days has been Randy Orton
    I like to think I caused this haha. Good subject, although gonna be a lot more WWE heavy than a lot of back catalogue. Wonder if there's any OVW stuff worth checking for the sake of variety?

Remember really highly rating this one back in the day.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Postman Dave View Post
    I like to think I caused this haha. Good subject, although gonna be a lot more WWE heavy than a lot of back catalogue. Wonder if there's any OVW stuff worth checking for the sake of variety?

Remember really highly rating this one back in the day.

I haven't found any OVW stuff worth talking about but I still have some space on my list if I do find any.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggy View Post
    This match was a pretty big deal when it happened. Looking back it was a pretty a good one and I'd say among their better ones, for sure. The crowd definitely elevated it a bit and Cena was in top form.
    For some reason this slipped my mind that this was 2007 Cena, so of course it was going to be one of his better matches

Quote Originally Posted by The EC View Post
    Aw yeah.

I really wish I could go back and time and really relive the rise of Cena and Orton. The two of them really are the biggest duo I'd say I've seen come up the ranks in my lifetime. For the most part they were the defining superstars of my peak fandom. I vaguely remember this match and I'd say the rating is about right. It wasn't any kind of defining matchup of the era like I'm sure they wanted it to be but it's still cool to look back on as their first big clash. Personally I hope we see Orton vs. Cena again at a SummerSlam or WrestleMania before they call it quits.

Matches I am most looking forward to/hoping you review here are Orton vs. Cactus from Backlash '04, Orton vs. Edge from Vengeance '04, Orton vs. Edge vs. Cena vs. Michaels from Backlash '07, Orton vs. Triple H from No Mercy '07, anything Orton vs. Christian from '11, Orton vs. Rollins from WrestleMania 31, Orton vs. Owens vs. Cesaro and for lols Orton vs. Bray in House of Horrors and Orton vs. Jinder from Backlash last year.
    A lot of those will be on the list for sure. Or similar matches. Only thing I'm wary of is trying not to double dip too much after my 30 days of HHH and Cena countdowns.

Quote Originally Posted by CGS View Post
    Ahh Cena/Orton. Avoided for 5 years and then done to death in 2

Glad you've decided to do Orton. He's truly a wrestler who seems to switch from one of the best wrestlers on the roster to one of the worst with some ease. Can't wait to relive some of his 2004-2006 & 2011 greatness.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    It's weird to think that back in 2007, Orton/Cena was a bit of a dream match solely because of the similarities and how they kept being held apart from each other. Now you look back at the feud and it feels like one of the stalest programs of the last 15 years.
    You say that but I was excited for Orton Vs Cena at Crown Jewel to decide the Best in the World.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Shock Reviews Archive

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Day 2:

Hell in a Cell: John Cena vs. Randy Orton – Hell in a Cell 2014

The very first ever repeat match inside Hell in a Cell. After having one of the most mundane, weak, timid Hell in a Cell matches in history in 2009, here they are five years later. Fresh off being massacred at Summerslam 2014, John Cena looks to become the number one contender against his greatest rival: Randy Orton. The pre-match hype video for this match made this feel like the biggest deal in the world, I love it. They damn sure tried to make it feel like a legendary rivalry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AGGT_b_LYo

I think this match shows a big difference between Brock’s most recent reign and his one back then. Back then, while Brock wasn’t on the show, the focus was still on Brock’s title – and between this and the Rollins vs Ambrose feud – there didn’t feel like there was a void in the show.

Right off the bat this is wrestled at a much faster pace than their usual matches. In 30 seconds we get the first use of the cell as a weapon, which already puts it ahead of their 2009 cell match. They benefited from a crowd that wasn’t disinterested like some of the Cena vs Orton matches. Rather the crowd is pretty excited for the match.

I think this is my favourite Cena vs Orton match, but it’s still not quite there. And I think the biggest issue I have here is I don’t feel like they’re wrestling as if they were fighting their career rival. I can only think of one of their matches ever that actually felt like there was hatred to it. Every other one is a WWE main event style epic. That’s not necessarily a bad thing, but when you’ve wrestled each other a billion times you have to make them stand out. Even when they’re using the cell it doesn’t feel like they’re bringing the hate like, say, Lesnar vs Undertaker or Foley vs HHH.

That’s my main negative out the way because I do think this is the best Cena vs Orton match. It’s very much a best-of, with a whole bunch of terrific spots and a load of exciting near falls. I think the thing that makes me enjoy this over the other matches they had is that despite this match being nearly thirty minutes long, I never felt like the match dragged on and it kept my interest right the way through. While some might think the finishing sequence was overkill, I disagree because of the fact that there was something on the line, and they were hyping this as some legendary feud and rivalry. I certainly never got the impression that it was forced.

What I found fascinating was the difference between a Cena match in 2007 and one in 2014. It’s like watching two different wrestlers, particularly as it gets close to the finishing sequence, as there is a lot less stuff between the moves in 2014. Maybe if Cena could sell between moves this might have been the classic match the two of them have been struggling for for the last seven years.

This felt like Orton’s match, he was really good here. He was carrying the match in terms of personality, and was the only one that came across as being vicious and desperate. He certainly had his working boots on here. The highlights were his RKO in the middle of the match, using the ring ropes to choke Cena while he’s in the STF, and the wonderful visual of him avoiding the steel steps at the very last second. I might not like the John Cena PWG style formula, but I won't use that as a criticism of Orton because I thought he was comfortably the best wrestler in this match on this night. Everything from his offence, to his selling, to his facial expressions were on-point.

For everyone that thinks all their matches suck, give this one a shot because you might be pleasantly surprised.

***3/4

Tomorrow, we've got one of the more brutal matches of the PG era.

RKO Of The Day

Shock Reviews Archive

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Apologies for the lack of post yesterday. Having major internet issues at my house. It's not that the though of 28 more days of Randy Orton has killed my spirit. Anyway, on to today!

Day 3:

WWE Championship: “I Quit” Match - Randy Orton (c) vs. John Cena – Breaking Point 2009

One day, I’m going to watch this match and the ending is going to change, I swear. And it’ll be that great match that they have been so close to having. I mentioned in my Hell in a Cell match review that these two had one match where it felt different and full of hate, and it’s this one.

Randy Orton in 2009 is an odd case. It was his most prominent role to this point, as he had been firmly established as the number one heel in the business. But when you look at his matches through 2009, they kind of sucked. It’s not a good year for him in-ring wise. There’s a few reasons for this. The first of this is that he wrestled the same two guys a million times all year, and Cena and HHH in 2009 were not exactly having stellar years themselves. Secondly, Orton had been pushed as this mentally deranged character, and that character work often came across as really corny. This match is one of the few times when his character actually helps the match instead of takes away from it.

In a PG environment, and WWE were all in on that side of things at this itme, this is about as brutal a match as WWE could put on. There’s a lot of similarities to the Mankind vs Rock I Quit match, thanks to the use of handcuffs and the match being dominated by the heel. Obviously they couldn’t rely on blood, or chairshots to the head. Orton’s slow, methodical style complements what they were going for and he felt like a psycho killer out there. Instead of a chair he uses a kendo stick to get the job done, and that provides so great visuals when you see Cena's stomach and ribs after wards. I even like just the moments when Orton is punching Cena in the ribs. It looks purposeful and brutal, and because you know Cena can't protect himself it feels like so much more than just a punch.

A word on the commentary for a second because Lawler and Cole are one of my least favourite pairings ever (whether both faces, or with heel Cole, it always sucked). Here they do the solemn "Owen Hart voice" that they used in pretty much every Orton match in 2009. The sad thing is, it actually works here, but because these two had done it for every single one of his matches all year it doesn't feel dramatic.

The use of handcuffs in wrestling is usually bad because it makes the person who handcuffed their opponent look like a complete idiot later on. I can count on one hand the amount of times when it was used effectively (CM Punk at TLC 2011 comes to mind immediately), but most of the time it either makes one guy look like an idiot for losing from that position (looking at you, Johnny Gargano), or it has some ridiculous contrived moment to resolve it (Royal Rumble 2000). In this match I didn't hate how Cena got out of it at all, and I liked that Orton didn't get caught out while he was manoeuvring Cena around ringside. And because Orton was moving Cena about to try new things, it made sense that he would keep the keys on him.

This match also highlights perhaps the biggest problem of Orton’s run in 2009. Is he a monster, psychopathic heel, or is he a chickenshit? WWE seemed to be in two minds about what they wanted him to be and it ruined him. Case in point, the conclusion of this match where Cena makes his comeback and Orton gives up the very first time he is asked. The ending of this match is my biggest problem with the whole thing. Not that Orton lost, but that he basically gives up at the first sign of being in trouble. It’s a trope that all of these Cena I Quit matches have. Would it have killed them to have had Orton say "no" a couple of times to at least present the fact that he isn't a complete an utter wuss? Cena just forgot all about selling during his comeback. For a second Orton vs Cena match in a row I come out of it thinking there's only one guy responsible for it not being great; and that guy isn't Randy Orton.

Still, enjoy this for being one of the better psycho-Orton performances, and the best I Quit match of the PG era. I know, that's a weak compliment but still. It can always be worse.

Spoiler:

I'll try and get another post up today. We're going back in time to have a look at the young, upstart Randy Orton in his earlier days.

RKO Of The Day

Shock Reviews Archive

The Planet's Admin

Status

I had never seen the Summerslam 07 match before, so decided to check it out. I actually thought Orton was the better man in the match, his strikes were the ones that sounded like they hurt. Cena being on the back foot and then hitting a home run to get him out of trouble was annoying but I guess that's the WWE house style for main event babyfaces.

I remember enjoying that HIAC match a lot more than I was expecting to, one of their better matches together.

Ambidextrous Birdcatcher

Status

Ugh, that fucking ending.

Spoiler:

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVeih_Gqakc

Day 4:

Randy Orton vs. The Prototype – Ohio Valley Wrestling, January 19th 2002

Dave wondered if there would be any OVW on the countdown and lo and behold, we’ve found something. To my knowledge this is the first time that these two would wrestle, and also happens o be Orton’s last OVW match before heading to WWE. And this is the only match they’d ever have with Orton as a babyface and Cena as the heel. Given the history that these two would go on to have, I think that makes this noteworthy enough to make the list.

For the match itself there’s not a great deal to talk about. They’re two green as grass rookies that wrestle an energetic, but basic style. You can kind of guess what sort of match you’re going to get. Certainly there’s nothing about Cena that would make me think “yeah, he’s going to be the biggest star of the next 16 years”. Orton wrestles so different here to what he has for every year of his career (sans 2002). And if you watch his DVD (very very highly recommended) he explains that he did a whole bunch of flashy top rope moves to get noticed before he was taken to one side by Arn Anderson and told to leave that for smaller guys.

I was talking to Ed the other week and he mentioned about the fact that this sort of match would never happen in WWE or NXT these days. Everyone who is on TV is pretty refined as a wrestler. That makes for much better matches, but I almost feel like you miss a bit of the journey in that everyone that makes it to the main roster is already around as good as they’ll ever be. Hopefully that makes sense.

As a match this is nothing special, but as a piece of history it’s certainly fascinating.

Tomorrow, Randy Orton makes history as he chases the World Heavyweight Championship. Plus the bonus match!

RKO Of The Day:

Shock Reviews Archive

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Damn, while i'm sure its a poor match i'm defo gonna check that out at some point. Like you said it's like watching a piece of history.

[Knockin' on Heaven's Door]

Status

Very much enjoying RKO of the day FWIW.

Plot twist: while Shock didn't technically lie, this 30 Days Of is in actually not about Orton, but rather Orton vs Cena.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Quote Originally Posted by CGS View Post
    Damn, while i'm sure its a poor match i'm defo gonna check that out at some point. Like you said it's like watching a piece of history.
    Definitely. I wouldn't even say it's poor. It's the exact standards I would expect from two people who haven't been wrestling very long.
    Quote Originally Posted by Postman Dave View Post
    Very much enjoying RKO of the day FWIW.

Whether you love Orton or hate him, you can't deny the general coolness of the RKO.
    Plot twist: while Shock didn't technically lie, this 30 Days Of is in actually not about Orton, but rather Orton vs Cena.
    Haha, what could possibly give you that impression?

Next matches will be a bit delayed due to internet issues again. Sorry fellas.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Shock Reviews Archive

Scumbag Role Model

Status

I mean, it probably is possible.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information