Thread: New Japan Pro-Wrestling - King of Sports

No One

Status
      Country                    Canada

New Japan Pro-Wrestling - King of Sports

New Japan Pro-Wrestling - King of Sports
    In recent years, off the back of the rise of the "Rainmaker" Kazuchika Okada, their longtime "Ace" Hiroshi Tanahashi, the ever-rising western popularity of The Elite / Bullet Club, New Japan Pro Wrestling has gained global notoriety as the number one alternative to the WWE. In fact, should one accept that WWE has moved away from being a pro wrestling company, NJPW may very well be the #1 professional wrestling company in the world. Nevertheless, it's not without its own flaws with frequent questionable booking and the constant under-utilization of the titles that aren't singles heavyweight belts (you're very welcome to disagree).

Heading into the biggest professional event of the year, Wrestle Kingdom, NJPW is tragically lacking in the sort of excitement that characterized the event in the past couple of years and there's little hope of the World Tag League changing that in any fashion. Nevertheless, we'll be beginning from right after NJPW's most recent major event: Power Struggle. The results of Power Struggle will be found in an upcoming post and reflects accurately what happened in real life, so fair warning if you're worried about spoilers.

I realize that puro BTBs aren't very popular and there's probably only been a single successful one: EgoFantastico's All-Japan Pro Wrestling. It was pretty marvelous and I really enjoyed it and I hope he comes back and goes back to it one day. I won't be using that as inspiration because Ego probably takes on a great deal more writing than I am willing to.

I think puro has as many advantages as it has disadvantages compared to a WWE product with regards to presenting it in a written format. I should be clear I have zero intention of EVER writing a full length match for this thread and you shouldn't even expect anything more than a paragraph for a major event match. The NJPW schedule is pretty heavy so I'll be mostly concerned with just delivering the necessary information for most events so that you're getting a somewhat clear picture of everything happening.

There probably won't be a huge readership for this thread since NJPW is still a foreign product, if there are readers who aren't familiar with NJPW but who want to follow this thread, then I would be willing to do character introductions over time to help people grow some familiar with the roster. A good start would be Ed's "Beginners Guide to New Japan Pro Wrestling". The only inaccurate stuff there are the current championship holders and, to a degree, the stables. I'll be making new updated posts on stables/championships between tours. I'll be using small pictures to make it easier for readers who aren't super familiar with the names they're seeing.

NJPW follows a pretty highly structured booking format that may at times be obscenely predictable, I won't be diverging too much from that. All that said, I may still do things that would not happen in real life but I think that's the whole point of a BTB (I mean this largely in the names that I push, and the guys I sign).

This is being simulated via TEW 16. Sadly, this means there's a ton of inaccuracies and guys who aren't present in the game but it still provides a solid baseline for me and offers a lot of unpredictability in terms of injuries, talent that becomes available, talent that gets over, etc.

Lastly, as it is, the intent is to go from Power Struggle 2018 to Wrestle Kingdom 14. I've got a card set for it (although injuries, among other things, may derail that) and I'd love to reach it. While World Tag League probably lacks luster as the first tour and precedes a pretty much set-in-stone WK13 card, I thought it'd be a good way to get my feet wet and get a handle of how I want to present/write for NJPW. I started booking this before NJPW announced their WTL 2018 format and participants so there will be differences in that regard. The first shows I'm officially booking are Power Struggle (but I've booked it as it was in real life), and the NJPW/ROH Global Wars Tour + the Lion's Break shows.

Welp, that's it.

Credits: Forgot this bit, shoutout to southsidehitment, fleisch, joemurphy and a host of other people for making the mod for TEW.
    Index.

Last edited by Happy Jon; 11-08-2018 at 12:08 PM.

THE HEARTBREAK KID

Status
      Country                    Portugal

Re: New Japan Pro-Wrestling - King of Sports

My NJPW knowledge is very limited but I've been hoping to see and read a good NJPW "BTB" that I could follow and enjoy.

Hopefully this is the one! Good luck buddy.
    Prepare for the.. BACKLASH!

...COMING SOON, TO THE "BTB" SECTION!

*** CREDIT TO THE LOOCHA BEAR FOR THE GRAPHIC ***

No One

Status

NJPW Power Struggle Super Jr. Tag League 2018 Results~
    Taguchi Japan (Ryusuke Taguchi, ACH, Chris Sabin & Toa Henare) defeated Jushin Thunder Liger, Soberano Jr, Tiger Mask IV & Volador Jr in 7:05 - The remnants of the Super Jr. Tag League participated in a short 4 v 4 before heading back to America. Taguchi led his team to a win after hitting an X-Factor on Soberano Jr.

Bullet Club
    (Tama Tonga, Robbie Eagles & Tanga Loa) defeated Great Bash Heel (Togi Makabe & Tomoaki Honma) & KUSHIDA in 8:28 - Taiji Ishimori feigned injury on the way to the ring while accompanying Bullet Club with Jado at his side. The usual Bullet Club shenanigans prevented this from ever being a competitive match. Jado used a kendo stick to hinder any chances GBH + KUSHIDA had of ever winning this and Taiji revealed his injury was fake when he struck KUSHIDA, allowing for Tama to hit him with the Gun Stun. After the match, Ishimori challenged KUSHIDA to a IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship match at Wrestle Kingdom 13.

CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada & Beretta) defeated Bullet Club (Jay White & Bad Luck Fale) in 4:35 - This match was quick and dirty. Okada and White brawled into the crowd from the get go so it was mostly a singles match between Beretta & Fale. Beretta outsmarted Fale and rolled him up to get a win in under five minutes. The bell doesn't stop the brawl from ending until White finally has enough and challenges Okada to a singles match at WK13, one in which the "Rainmaker" gladly accepts.

Golden Lovers
    (Kenny Omega & Kota Ibushi) defeated Hiroshi Tanahashi & David Finlay in 9:54 - Kenny Omega had been mostly absent for the Power Struggle tour but was here for the final show to face off against WK13 opponent, Hiroshi Tanahashi. Unfortunately for Tanahashi, he wasn't able to get one over on Omega and the IWGP Heavyweight Champion and a Golden Trigger to David Finlay left Tanahashi with more than a few doubts two months before his big showdown with the "Best Bout Machine".

Roppongi 3K
    (SHO & YOH) defeated Suzuki-gun (El Desperado & Yoshinobu Kanemaru) & Los Ingobernables de Japon (BUSHI & Shingo Takagi) in 15:31 to win the Super Jr. Tag League 2018 - Roppongi 3K became the first team to win the Super Jr. Tag League back-to-back with a victory here. Despite Suzuki-gun's frequent nefarious tactics and the viciousness of newcomer Shingo Takagi, Roppongi 3K continued their redemption journey back to the top of the Jr. Heavyweight tag division. SHO's Shock Arrow is what put El Desperado away to get them their victory. It was subsequently announced that a rematch would happen at WK13, this time with the IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team championships on the line.

Hirooki Goto defeated Taichi in 16:02 to win the NEVER Openweight Championship - Taichi's reign as NEVER Openweight Champion came to a swift end here after Goto took back his belt for his record-breaking fourth reign. Taichi had little chance to win here and this match only dragged by virtue of his slow and plodding style as well as his underhanded tactics. Goto was able to overcome those this time and hit a GTR to bring the belt back to CHAOS. The question is what this means for Will Ospreay after he was unable to make this match due to a nagging injury. There are a long list of possible contenders who will hope to challenge Goto at WK13.

Tomohiro Ishii defeated Minoru Suzuki in 19:35 to retain the RevPro British Heavyweight Championship - An absolutely vicious battle between two of the most ruthless, merciless and relentless wrestlers to have graced an NJPW ring. Ishii and Suzuki have fought many times and shortened their respective careers over the past year and that trend continued here. The hard-hitting matching came to an end when Ishii managed to get the upper hand on Suzuki and hit him with the Brainbuster to retain the belt.

Tetsuya Naito defeated Zack Sabre Jr. in 20:58 -
    The previous match was a battle of wills, and this was a psychological battle of a complete different sorts. ZSJ has had the upper hand on Naito on two previous encounters and the typically nonchalant and indifferent Naito had to realize that such tactics would not work well on the uber-patient ZSJ. Zack worked his usual technical wizardry with an endless variety of submission maneuvers but Naito had learned from his two previous defeats and his limb work shortened the list of submissions ZSJ could pull off. After a series of counters, Naito was able to hit the Destino and all but assure his future opponent for WK13. Meanwhile, ZSJ has to wonder where he'll fit in on the biggest card of the pro wrestling calendar.

Chris Jericho defeated EVIL in 21:33 to retain the IWGP Intercontinental Championship -
    This was a brawl from the get go and very much until the end. EVIL threw everything he had against the champion but Jericho's decades of experience allowed him to beat his fresher and bigger opponent and eventually lock in the Walls of Jericho to force him to tap out. Jericho held onto the submission after the match until Naito came to chase him away. Tetsuya Naito made the challenge for the IWGP Intercontinental Championship at Wrestle Kingdom 13 as he tries to complete his 2018 redemption journey.

No One

Status

New Japan Pro-Wrestling Championship Roll Call as of Power Struggle 2018

IWGP Heavyweight Championship: Kenny Omega
    Defenses:
    Reigns:

Kenny Omega's rivalry with Kazuchika Okada has come to define the IWGP Heavyweight Championship since Omega moved up from the Jr. Heavyweight decision. A series of classic battles both for the championship and without it on the line finally resulted in Omega laying claim to the biggest prize in professional wrestling and led to the descent into madness of the "Rainmaker" Okada. Omega's reign has been controversial but the man competes with such self-assuredness that any criticism sent his way and rejected by his self-proclaimed mantle of "Best Bout Machine". He heads into Wrestle Kingdom 13 to face the record 7-time IWGP Heavyweight Champion, Hiroshi Tanahashi, a man who takes a great deal of issues with Omega's image for what NJPW should be.

IWGP Intercontinental Championship: Chris Jericho
    Defenses: 1
    Reigns:
    Chris Jericho has wrestled all around the world and found success all around the world. His best days are behind him but he hasn't allowed that to deter him from once again entering the spotlight. A victory over Tetsuya Naito at Dominion for the Intercontinental Championship was a dark mark on the "Stardust Genius" who has often belittled the reputation of foreign stars. Jericho hasn't always been present since his victory but whenever he is, he's been a blithe on Naito and his LIJ cohorts. After retaining against EVIL, Jericho is faced with a rematch from Naito, and this time Naito simply can't afford to lose.

NEVER Openweight Championship: Hirooki Goto
    Defenses: 0
    Reigns:
    Up until his victory over Taichi at Power Struggle, Goto was tied with Tomohiro Ishii and Katsuyori Shibata for the most NEVER Openweight Championship reigns. The three have characterized the belt less with its title of Openweight and more with the idea of vicious, straightforward brutality. Heading into Wrestle Kingdom 13, it's hard to say who Goto will face with the belt on the line, but anyone who does step up to try and take his crown will know they're heading into the hardest hitting match of the entire night.

IWGP United-States Championship: Cody
    Reigns: 1

Cody has never missed making headlines since he left WWE to make it as an independent wrestler. He's appeared for just about every promotion with a reputation and has done more since his departure than he'd done in his entire career preceding that. The IWGP United-States Championship was a tangible demonstration of NJPW's commitment to expanding into the west and it's a match made in heaven with Cody. Nevertheless, former champion Juice Robinson has worked hard to make his way from young lion to a singles champion in NJPW without taking any short cuts and he's determined to redeem himself against Cody at WK13 after losing the belt to him in his first defense.

IWGP Tag Team Championship: Tama Tonga & Tanga Loa
    Reigns: 4

The Guerrillas of Destiny have been focused on a rivalry with former Bullet Club members, now solely known as The Elite, for the past year. They've used classic Bullet Club tactics, interference and strength in numbers, to make life a living hell for both The Elite and anyone they've come up against. Nevertheless, GoD's four reigns simply doesn't look very impressive when you consider their tactics to have obtained those reigns and the fact that even with such underhanded tactics, they've only managed a total of 2 defenses between both reigns. Having fallen in the finals of 2017's World Tag League, it's imperative that they succeed, underhanded tactics or not, to establish some form of credibility as a tag team.

IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship: KUSHIDA
    Reigns: 6

The hyper competitive Junior Heavyweight division once again belongs to KUSHIDA, the man with the biggest pedigree of all his competitors with 6 reigns and a combined 600 days as champion. The belt fell too him after Hiromu Takahashi suffered a broken neck and was unable to continue competing while he recovered. He emerged victorious in a tournament that saw him beat Marty Scurll in the finals. Taiji Ishimori presents his first hurdle at Wrestle Kingdom 13, and after being pinned by the Bullet Club member during the Super Jr. Tag League, KUSHIDA will be desperate to avoid a repeat in singles competition.

IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Championship: El Desperado & Yoshinobu Kanemaru
    Defenses: 4
    Reigns: 1

Few would have pegged Suzuki-gun's El Desperado & Yoshinobu Kanemaru to buck the trend of short and unimpressive Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team title reigns, but they have with 4 defenses and over 240 days as champion. It was 2013, 20 reigns ago, and the Young Bucks were having their first run with the title the last time someone had a more impressive reign than this pairing. That's particularly disappointing for Roppongi 3K who were heralded as the aces of the division upon their return and have had two unimpressive reigns with no successful defense in the past year. After winning the Super Jr. Tag League, R3K will be determined to change that but Desperado & Kanemaru have proven themselves wily and the addition of Shingo Takagi and BUSHI in the picture won't make it easy.

NEVER Openweight Six-Man Tag Team Championship: Taiji Ishimori, Tama Tonga & Tanga Loa
    Defenses: 1
    Reigns:

The chaotic Six-Man belts are the perfect environment for a group like Bullet Club to dominate and its unsurprising that they have for the past year. Since winning the belts from the Super Villains (Marty Scurll & The Young Bucks) at the G1 Climax, this trio has yet to make a defense. With matches already booked for WK13, it'll be interesting to see what the belt's situation ends up at the event. Considering how challenging it is to retain the belt, the Bullet Club might be hoping they can entirely avoid having to defend it until past Wrestle Kingdom.

There are other titles worth noting with regards to NJPW. The RevPro British Heavyweight Championship title has been held by many of NJPW's top wrestlers and it's not uncommon for that title or ROH and CMLL titles to be defended on a variety of NJPW's cards. Due to the mechanics of TEW, that won't be happening in this thread although champions of these varying companies will be featured in non-title matches at times.

No One

Status

New Japan Pro-Wrestling Tournament Winners 2018

G1 Climax:
    Hiroshi Tanahashi
    Total Wins: 3
    Runner-Up: Kota Ibushi

"The Ace" Hiroshi Tanahashi won the G1 Climax for the 3rd time in 2018. The G1 Climax is a round robin tournament featuring two blocks of ten heavyweight division wrestlers in each, with the winners of both blocks going on to face each other for the Tokyo Dome IWGP Heavyweight Championship Challengers Certificate. It's responsible for the greatest matches you'll see all year in professional wrestling. Tanahashi is starting to see his best days get behind him but despite that, he's hung on for his last moments of glory and was able to overcome Kota Ibushi and put an end to a dream of a Golden Lovers showdown in the main event of Wrestle Kingdom. Tanahashi will face off with Kenny Omega for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship in a rivalry that has centered around both men's style in the ring and their ambitions for NJPW.

New Japan Cup: Zack Sabre Jr
    Total Wins: 1
    Runner-Up: Hiroshi Tanahashi

Suzuki-gun's Technical Wizard had an incredible run in 2018's New Japan Cup with great matches and impressive submission or stoppage victories over Tetsuya Naito, G1 Climax runner-up Kota Ibushi, SANADA, and G1 Climax winner Hiroshi Tanahashi. Sabre Jr was the second gaijin to have won the tournament and went on to challenge then-IWGP Heavyweight Champion Kazuchika Okada. Unfortunately for ZSJ, he was unable to get the victory over the "Rainmaker". Nevertheless, ZSJ has gained a reputation as a formidable opponent since his tear in the tournament.

Best of the Super Juniors: Hiromu Takahashi
    Total Wins: 1
    Runner-up: Taiji Ishimori

Hiromu Takahashi was able to win the 25th Best of the Super Juniors after an incredible 35 minute long bout with newest Bullet Club member Taiji Ishimori. The victory led him to challenging then-IWGP Junior Heavyweight Champion Will Ospreay and emerging victorious at Dominion. Unfortunately for Takahashi, in a successful defense of the belt against Dragon Lee in San Francisco, he broke his neck and was forced to vacate the belt. While Takahashi will be out for the foreseeable future, LIJ are confident the Ticking Time Bomb will be back to take the title he never lost.

Super Jr. Tag League: SHO & YOH
    Total Wins: 2
    Runner-up: El Desperado & Yoshinobu Kanemaru and BUSHI & Shingo Takagi

SHO & YOH became the first team to ever win the Super Jr. Tag League back-to-back in a hectic three-way tag team match that booked them a place at Wrestle Kingdom. This was also the first year where the Super Jr. Tag Tournament was competed in a league format. SHO & YOH will hope they can have a repeat of the Super Jr. Tag League finals at WK13 so they can try to establish a reign that will define their legacy in the division.

The Super J-Cup is another irregular tournament that sometimes happens in NJPW. It features Junior wrestlers from across the world competing in a single-elimination tournament. The last winner was KUSHIDA. There have only been 6 Super J-Cup's in 22 years and only 3 under the NJPW banner.

The other tournament is the World Tag League which concludes the NJPW wrestling year. The competitors for the 33rd edition of the World Tag League will be soon unveiled.

No One

Status

World Tag League 2018
    BLOCK A
    BEST FRIENDS
    Representing CHAOS
    Beretta & Chuckie T

Although CHAOS has seen itself fractured with the departure of Jay White and Gedo, the presence of Beretta & Chuckie T should offer some stability for a stable that is currently suffering a crisis of identity. Chuckie T made his NJPW debut pairing up with Beretta in last year's WTL and they had a great showing ending up just two points shy of the three-way tie for 1st spot in their group. They'll be hoping to build on last year's successes.

Representing The Elite
    Chase Owens & Yujiro Takahashi

It's hard to pinpoint where Owens & Takahashi fell in the war between The Elite and Bullet Club OG but the announcement that they'll be representing The Elite in this tournament should clear things up. With Young Bucks, Cody, Page, and Scurll based in the US, Owens & Takahashi may be the most frequent representatives of The Elite in NJPW. Although they won't be the only team representing The Elite, Owens & Takahashi will hope to prove themselves worthy of the name here.

KILLER ELITE SQUAD
    Representing Suzuki-gun
    Davey Boy Smith Jr & Lance Archer

The Killer Elite Squad are always guaranteed to give whoever they face a tough match due to their imposing size and willingness to do what they need to to win. Since pairing up in 2012, they've held the IWGP Tag Team Championships a total of three times. They've participated in the World Tag League together four times and have never failed to finish at the top of their block, only missing finals as a result of a tie-breaker. Furthermore, Archer actually has a WTL win to his name with Suzuki-gun leader Minoru Suzuki in 2011. As a result, K.E.S. are a pairing to watch.

Representing Los Ingobernables de Japon
    EVIL & SANADA

EVIL & SANADA are as formidable together as they are apart. Since joining Tetsuya Naito's LIJ over the past three years, EVIL & SANADA have been a thorn in the singles and tag team ranks of anyone they've faced off with. They've already held the NEVER Openweight Six-Man Tag Team titles together, won 2017's World Tag League, and have a reign as IWGP Tag Team Champions to their name. EVIL also had a brief reign as NEVER Openweight Champion and just recently challenged for the IWGP Intercontinental Championship. Although SANADA does not have a singles reign of his own, a challenge for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship early in 2018 saw him push Okada to the limit but ultimately fall short as well. As the defending WTL winners, and a team determined to find a spot at Wrestle Kingdom 13, EVIL & SANADA are favorites to win the tournament.

TEN-KOJI
    Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima

Their best years are behind them but Tenzan and Kojima still have 20 (irregular) years worth of teaming behind them, 6 IWGP Tag Team Championship reigns, and 2 WTL victories under their belt. What more can be said about these two legends? Although no one has them as favorites to win, expect anyone going up against them to have a hard night coming out victorious.

Manabu Nakanishi & Yuji Nagata

Manabu Nakanishi has been involved in the World Tag League going back to 1992 and has teamed with Yuji Nagata in World Tag League's since 1998. Although the pairing have had plenty of strong showings together, it was only while teaming with Taichi Iizuka that Yuji Nagata was able to reign victorious as a World Tag League victory. As with Tenzan & Kojima, these two veterans aren't expected to surprise anyone but their experience and tough demeanors will make for a hard-fought match against anyone they face.

Representing Suzuki-gun
    Taichi & Takashi Iizuka

In Taichi's second ever time participating in the World Tag League (the last time being ten years ago), he'll be attempting to bring glory to Suzuki-gun after losing the NEVER Openweight belt at Power Struggle. Iizuka, on the other hand, has participated in over a dozen WTL's since 1993 with a variety of partners and even won it with Yuji Nagata 18 years ago. Iizuka's best days are behind him but clever Suzuki-gun tactics may be the key for a strong run for both men. The interesting showdown for Taichi & Iizuka will be their match with Suzuki-gun stablemates K.E.S.

RINGKAMPF
    Timothy Thatcher & WALTER

The sole guest wrestlers for 2018's World Tag League are NJPW debutantes Timothy Thatcher & WALTER. Ringkampf are no stranger to some of the talents competing here and actually participated in RevPro/NJPW Global Wars 2018 facing off against EVIL & SANADA, and showdowns between WALTER and NJPW regulars like Tomohiro Ishii and Yujiro Takahashi have all served to prepare them for the WTL. They've got a tough job ahead of them to both prove themselves worthy of participating in the WTL, and to actually shock viewers with a victory over some of NJPW's best tag teams.
    BLOCK B
    David Finlay & Michael Elgin

David Finlay is entering his second year participating in the World Tag League with his second partner in Michael Elgin. Elgin will be in his third one having had strong showings in teaming with Hiroshi Tanahashi in his first year, and Jeff Cobb last year. Finlay will be desperate to get his first World Tag League win but with Michael Elgin by his side and a vast increase in experience over the past year, Finlay may actually be hoping to win the whole WTL if he can.

Representing The Elite
    Hangman Page & Kota Ibushi

Hangman Page has seen his credibility grow in 2018 as a member of Bullet Club and now The Elite. He was able to participate in the G1 Climax and managed victories over tough NJPW veterans. Kota Ibushi had even more success by making it all the way to the finals of the G1 Climax. Ibushi had another chance to book his spot at Wrestle Kingdom when he faced with Kenny Omega and Cody in an all-Elite Triple Threat match for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship but fell short. Despite his impressive year, Ibushi still doesn't have a spot at Wrestle Kingdom, surprise chemistry with Page may get both of them the big match they feel they deserve at WK13.

Representing CHAOS
    Hirooki Goto & YOSHI-HASHI

The only singles champion participating in this year's World Tag League is NEVER Openweight Champion Hirooki Goto. Goto has had many partners in the World Tag League and has won the tournament twice since his start in 2007. YOSHI-HASHI hasn't shared the same success since he started pairing up with Kazuchika Okada in 2012. Last year, Goto & YH finished 2 points shy of the top of their group so they have every chance of doing even better this year. Goto's experience and undoubtable skill may be the key in YOSHI-HASHI winning his very first title.

Juice Robinson & Toa Henare

Juice Robinson recently lost his IWGP United-States Championship but still very much has his eyes on the belt. Still, destiny may have a different calling for him if he can win the World Tag League. Both Robinson and Henare will be competing in their 3rd WTL with their 3rd partners. Henare has only had one victory in his two previous attempts at the WTL so he'll have to defer to Robinson's great run in last year's World Tag League. Robinson & Henare will be sacrificing experience here for youthful energy and a desire to upset everyone they go up against.

Representing Suzuki-gun
    Minoru Suzuki & Zack Sabre Jr.

The best way to win the tournament is to have as many participants as possible and Suzuki-gun's three teams participating in the World Tag League may just be the key to winning the whole tournament. Minoru Suzuki & Zack Sabre Jr are two of the deadliest wrestlers in all of NJPW. Suzuki remains the definition of cruelty with a wrestling style meant to dish out as much pain as possible as it is to hurt. ZSJ has taken a few notes from the SZK-gun leader and his submissions have taken an increasingly torturous method to victory. Alone, Suzuki and ZSJ have the quality to compete for any singles championship, together, Suzuki and ZSJ are going to break a lot of bones and shed a lot of blood.

GUERRILLAS OF DESTINY
    Representing Bullet Club
    Tama Tonga & Tanga Loa

The Guerrillas of Destiny have spent the past year terrorizing NJPW management and establishing who truly belongs in the Bullet Club. October put an end to the Bullet Club civil war when The Elite established themselves as their own faction. Currently holding the IWGP Tag Team and the NEVER Openweight Six-Man Tag Team Championship belts, everything is going well for GoD. They'll be hoping that their run of luck continues as they try to not only make the finals the way they have the last two years, but to actually win it this time and establish themselves as the best tag team in the world.

GREAT BASH HEEL
    Togi Makabe & Tomoaki Honma

There was a great deal of uncertainty as to whether or not Tomoaki Honma would ever compete in another World Tag League, let alone wrestle again, but Honma continues to defy expectations with a GBH reunion in 2018's WTL. Since his WTL debut in 2006, Makabe has not missed a single one of the WTL tournaments, and with Honma, has been a constant contender to win the whole tournament. Having won the WTL in 2015 & 2016, GBH will undoubtedly feel that they are still the team to beat in the WTL, and they'll have a chance to prove it as they reunite this year.

Representing CHAOS
    Tomohiro Ishii & Will Ospreay

The third team representing CHAOS is our last big surprise for the World Tag League. Tomohiro Ishii is no stranger to the World Tag League having competed in 11 tournaments but never managing to make the finals in any of them. Will Ospreay is a newcomer to not only the WTL, but also the heavyweight division. He was set to face Taichi for the NEVER Openweight Championship but injuries prevented him from being able to compete and Hirooki Goto took his spot. He now gets a chance to redeem himself by teaming up with Ishii. This will be a deadly combination of intensity and athleticism and could be a dark horse to take the whole tournament.

Editor's Notes: I took some liberties with this tournament (I had to include Ringkampf). I did not want to stack it with top talent that were clearly not going to win because they already had their spot booked for WK, I wanted to center it around guys who are getting their last chances at getting a significant match at the WK13. Young Bucks announced they weren't participating when I'd started plotting this so I decided to follow that trend. Honma may not be in any condition to participate IRL but I wasn't sure about that when I was making up my participants.

Mid-Card Champion

Status
      Country                    Australia

Very excited for this. Cannot wait for your WTL!

No One

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Deco90 View Post
    My NJPW knowledge is very limited but I've been hoping to see and read a good NJPW "BTB" that I could follow and enjoy.

Hopefully this is the one! Good luck buddy.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeclanDimi View Post
    Very excited for this. Cannot wait for your WTL!
    Thanks~

NJPW/ROH Global Wars Tour + Lion's Break Project

Notes: I've mostly stuck to the announced cards since they'd been unveiled before I started this project. The results may or may not differ but I'm not referring to the IRL shows much when booking these ones. Some were unavailable when I was making these shows because I couldn't hire them or because I'd borrowed too many from ROH. In the future, I'll probably try to make these shows moderately more important even if its just an angle that lasts the span of a tour.

Prediction Contests: With regards to the Lion's Break Project, none of the guys are in my mod so I couldn't use them. In the future, I'll be using wrestlers the game gives me as graduates from the L.A. Dojo & from the Japan Dojo in the Young Lion centric shows and letting users decide their name because I don't see much harm in that. To be first come, first serve and get to choose a graduate's name, all you have to do is have the most successful predictions by the time the next set of graduates are out. I'm not sure how frequently this will happen. I post the cards for every show so you'll have AMPLE opportunity to catch-up and win and there may well be multiple winners in a sequence. Everytime we get a graduate, the contest will reset. You can win multiple contests. That's all.

These shows won't be super detailed since World Tag League is still the proper start of the diary for me. But there will still be tiny hints of things to come.
    NJPW/ROH Global Wars Tour: Lewiston

1. Flip Gordon vs. Robbie Eagles
    2. Jeff Cobb vs. Cheeseburger
    3. Frankie Kazarian and Scorpio Sky vs. Volador Jr & Soberano Jr
    4. The Briscoes (Jay & Mark Briscoe) vs. Cody and Hangman Page
    5. The Kingdom (Matt Taven, TK O'Ryan & Vinny Marseglia) vs. Tomohiro Ishii, Will Ospreay & YOSHI-HASHI
    6. Juice Robinson vs. Christopher Daniels
    7. Bully Ray and Silas Young vs. The Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson)
    8. Jay Lethal, Jonathan Gresham, Chris Sabin and KUSHIDA vs. Los Ingobernables de Japon (Tetsuya Naito, BUSHI, EVIL & SANADA)
    NJPW/ROH Global Wars Tour: Lowell

1. BUSHI vs. Matt Taven
    2. Frankie Kazarian vs. Flip Gordon
    3. Cody vs. Mark Briscoe
    4. Bully Ray and Silas Young vs. EVIL and SANADA
    5. Jay Briscoe vs. Scorpio Sky
    6. Jeff Cobb vs. Christopher Daniels (Non-Title Match)
    7. Tetsuya Naito vs. Hangman Page
    8. Jay Lethal and Jonathan Gresham vs. Chris Sabin and KUSHIDA vs. The Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson) vs. TK O'Ryan and Vinny Marseglia

NJPW/ROH Global Wars Tour: Buffalo
    1. Matt Taven and Vinny Marseglia vs. Tomohiro Ishii and Will Ospreay
    2. YOSHI-HASHI vs. TK O'Ryan
    3. Juice Robinson vs. Silas Young
    4. Jeff Cobb vs. EVIL
    5. The Briscoes (Jay & Mark Briscoe) vs. Beretta and Chuckie T vs. Cody and Hangman Page
    6. Tetsuya Naito and SANADA vs. The Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson)
    7. Jay Lethal vs. Chris Sabin (Proving Grounds Match)
    8. KUSHIDA vs. Jonathan Gresham vs. Flip Gordon vs. BUSHI
    Lion's Break Project 1

1. Yota Tsuji vs. Yuya Uemura
    2. Rocky Romero vs. Ryusuke Taguchi
    3. David Finlay & Jyushin Thunder Liger vs. Teruaki Kanemitsu & ACH
    4. Hirooki Goto vs. Jeff Cobb
    Lion's Break Project 2

1. ACH vs. Yota Tsuji
    2. Jyushun Thunder Liger vs. Teruaki Kanemitsu
    3. Rocky Romero & Hirooki Goto vs. Ryusuke Taguchi & Jeff Cobb
    4. Kenny Omega vs. David Finlay
    NJPW/ROH Global Wars Tour: Toronto
    1. Christopher Daniels vs. Matt Taven
    2. Hangman Page vs. Chuckie T
    3. The Briscoes (Jay & Mark Briscoe) vs. EVIL and SANADA
    4. Frankie Kazarian and Scorpio Sky vs. SHO & YOH (ROH World Tag Team Championship)
    5. Toa Henare and Juice Robinson vs. Tetsuya Naito and BUSHI
    6. Young Bucks (Jay & Mark Briscoe) vs. Chris Sabin & KUSHIDA
    7. Cody (c) vs. Beretta (IWGP US Championship)
    8. Jay Lethal (c) vs. Kenny King (ROH World Championship)

No One

Status

NJPW/ROH Global Wars 2018 & Lion's Break Project
    Tour Report
    Although 2017's fall NJPW/ROH Global Wars contained a lot of high profile matches, the same couldn't really be said for 2018's fall Global Wars. Los Ingobernables de Japon (save Shingo Takagi), KUSHIDA and a few CHAOS members made the trip to help ROH's build-up to Final Battle 2018. We also got our last looks at the Young Bucks and Cody for a while as neither of the Elite members will be on the World Tag League tour, instead focusing on their upcoming Final Battle matches.

The big stories on this tour was Matt Taven and Kingdom (TK O'Ryan & Vinny Marseglia) having to contend with the fact that Dalton Castle and The Boys wouldn't be present on this North American tour and instead they'd have to compete with the likes of CHAOS trio Tomohiro Ishii, Will Ospreay & YOSHI-HASHI. Jeff Cobb also continued his undefeated streak in ROH with victories over the likes of EVIL and Christopher Daniels and he heads into Final Battle as the ROH World Television Champion. The Briscoe Brothers and the SCU continued to torment each other on the road to their ROH World Tag Team match (including the Young Bucks) and lastly, Jay Lethal continued to cement himself as a fighting champion in matches against Chris Sabin & Kenny King.

The most significant news coming out of the Global Wars tour was the IWGP United-States Championship title change. Beretta, member of CHAOS and half of the Best Friends, had challenged Cody for his belt on the English commentary table and Cody decided to put the challenge to a vote. The fans enthusiastically supported a Beretta vs. Cody match and it was set to happen for the last show of the tour in Toronto. Juice Robinson did not appear very happy on this tour as Cody either ignored or outright brushed him off when he demanded a rematch for the belt at Wrestle Kingdom 13, highlighting that Cody's victory was clearly a fluke, and one the American Nightmare could not deny. With no response, Juice made his presence felt at ringside during Cody's title defense to neutralize the Brandi Rhodes influence and allowed Beretta to take advantage and win his very first singles and heavyweight championship in NJPW. Cody has lost both the NWA World Heavyweight Championship and the IWGP United-States Championship in recent weeks and will now be increasingly desperate to lay his hands on the ROH World Championship at Final Battle. Meanwhile, Juice Robinson & Beretta will have to switch focus as the World Tag League looms near.

With regards to the Lion's Break Project, we saw Yota Tsuji, Yuya Uemura, and Teruaki Kanemitsu all seek to impress in Anaheim. Ultimately, Teruaki's pairing with ACH was underwhelming but a singles match against the legendary Jushin Thunder Liger hinted at some future potential. The big matches of the Lion's Break Project were Hirooki Goto against Jeff Cobb, a battle between the NEVER Openweight Champion and the ROH World Television Champion. Goto was ultimately able to grab the victory with the GTR after a hard fought 20 minutes. The other main event was IWGP Heavyweight Champion Kenny Omega against David Finlay Jr. Finlay was able to push Kenny Omega past the 20 minute mark but inevitably fell to a V-Trigger.

For those nitpicking whats worth checking out from the tour, here's our top 5 matches with The Elite trio of Cody & The Young Bucks doing their best to leave NJPW fans with a going away gift:

1. Los Ingobernables de Japon (Tetsuya Naito & SANADA) vs. The Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson) - NJPW/ROH Global Wars Tour: Buffalo - B-
    2. Bully Ray & Silas Young vs. The Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson) - NJPW/ROH Global Wars Tour: Lewiston - C+
    3. Chris Sabin & KUSHIDA vs. The Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson) - NJPW/ROH Global Wars Tour: Toronto - C+
    4. Cody vs. Mark Briscoe - NJPW/ROH Global Wars Tour: Lowell - C+
    5. Beretta vs. Cody for the IWGP United-States Championship - NJPW/ROH Global Wars Tour: Toronto - C
    Editor's Notes: I did not stray too much from real world results for this tour outside of the Lion's Break Project & the final tour show in Toronto. Like I said, I'd like to have the Young Lions take on names as chosen by whoever is reading this but if not, that's fine. We should be getting graduates at some point to actually make these Young Lion centric shows a bit more interesting. The World Tag League will be getting a bit more attention so I can play out the stories I want to tell instead of a recap like this for the entire tour.

No One

Status

NJPW World Tag League Tour 2018

And here is where we really start branching off from NJPW. Firstly, as you've seen in one of the previous posts, are World Tag League will still have two groups and 8 teams per group. Furthermore, we'll be rolling with 14 nights for this World Tag League as opposed to the lengthier run of what they're doing in real life. I wanted to keep it simple so the nights basically interchange between both groups. They get a pretty decent amount of time to recover between shows as opposed to tiring them out with a heavy schedule.

I'll only be unveiling the World Tag League schedule and not the other 3-4 matches that will be on each card. The other 3-4 matches will be decided on the fly and mostly depend on who isn't tired on any given night. Tanahashi/White/Ishimori/KUSHIDA/Naito are only working half the tour, Kenny Omega/Chris Jericho/Ibushi none of it at all. Aside from Jericho, I haven't totally decided if I'll mimic this. Lastly, these matches aren't in any order; if Suzuki/ZSJ vs. Page/Ibushi is at the bottom, that doesn't necessarily mean it'll be the main event of the night.

In any case, here is the schedule for the World Tag League. Remember, if you're down to predict and get the most points predicting, you get to name our upcoming dojo grads.

World Tag League Kick-Off

1. Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima vs. Davey Boy Smith Jr & Lance Archer
    2. Taichi & Takashi Iizuka vs. WALTER & Timothy Thatcher
    3. EVIL & SANADA vs. Manabu Nakanishi & Yuji Nagata
    4. Chase Owens & Yujiro Takahashi vs. Beretta & Chuckie T
    5. David Finlay & Michael Elgin vs. Tomohiro Ishii & Will Ospreay
    6. Tama Tonga & Tanga Loa vs. Hirooki Goto & YOSHI-HASHI
    7. Togi Makabe & Tomoaki Honma vs. Juice Robinson & Toa Henare
    8. Minoru Suzuki & Zack Sabre Jr vs. Hangman Page & Kota Ibushi
    World Tag League Night 2

1. Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima vs. Manabu Nakanishi & Yuji Nagata
    2. WALTER & Timothy Thatcher vs. Beretta & Chuckie T
    3. Davey Boy Smith Jr & Lance Archer vs. Chase Owens & Yujiro Takahashi
    4. Taichi & Takashi Iizuka vs. EVIL & SANADA
    World Tag League Night 3

1. David Finlay & Michael Elgin vs. Tama Tonga & Tanga Loa
    2. Togi Makabe & Tomoaki Honma vs. Tomohiro Ishii & Will Ospreay
    3. Minoru Suzuki & Zack Sabre Jr vs. Hirooki Goto & YOSHI-HASHI
    4. Hangman Page & Kota Ibushi vs. Juice Robinson & Toa Henare
    World Tag League Night 4

1. Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima vs. EVIL & SANADA
    2. Chase Owens & Yujiro Takahashi vs. Taichi & Takashi Iizuka
    3. Beretta & Chuckie T vs. Davey Boy Smith Jr & Lance Archer
    4. Manabu Nakanishi & Yuji Nagata vs. WALTER & Timothy Thatcher
    World Tag League Night 5

1. David Finlay & Michael Elgin vs. Hangman Page & Kota Ibushi
    2. Juice Robinson & Toa Henare vs. Minoru Suzuki & Zack Sabre Jr
    3. Hirooki Goto & YOSHI-HASHI vs. Togi Makabe & Tomoaki Honma
    4. Tomohiro Ishii & Will Ospreay vs. Tama Tonga & Tanga Loa
    World Tag League Night 6

1. Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima vs. WALTER & Timothy Thatcher
    2. Davey Boy Smith Jr & Lance Archer vs. Manabu Nakanishi & Yuji Nagata
    3. Taichi & Takashi Iizuka vs. Beretta & Chuckie T
    4. EVIL & SANADA vs. Chase Owens & Yujiro Takahashi
    World Tag League Night 7

1. David Finlay & Michael Elgin vs. Hirooki Goto & YOSHI-HASHI
    2. Tomohiro Ishii & Will Ospreay vs. Juice Robinson & Toa Henare
    3. Tama Tonga & Tanga Loa vs. Hangman Page & Kota Ibushi
    4. Togi Makabe & Tomoaki Honma vs. Minoru Suzuki & Zack Sabre Jr
    World Tag League Night 8

1. Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima vs. Chase Owens & Yujiro Takahashi
    2. Beretta & Chuckie T vs. EVIL & SANADA
    3. Manabu Nakanishi & Yuji Nagata vs. Taichi & Takashi Iizuka
    4. WALTER & Timothy Thatcher vs. Davey Boy Smith Jr & Lance Archer
    World Tag League Night 9

1. David Finlay & Michael Elgin vs. Minoru Suzuki & Zack Sabre Jr
    2. Hangman Page & Kota Ibushi vs. Togi Makabe & Tomoaki Honma
    3. Juice Robinson & Toa Henare vs. Tama Tonga & Tanga Loa
    4. Hirooki Goto & YOSHI-HASHI vs. Tomohiro Ishii & Will Ospreay
    World Tag League Night 10

1. Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima vs. Taichi & Takashi Iizuka
    2. EVIL & SANADA vs. Davey Boy Smith Jr & Lance Archer
    3. Chase Owens & Yujiro Takahashi vs. WALTER & Timothy Thatcher
    4. Beretta & Chuckie T vs. Manabu Nakanishi & Yuji Nagata
    World Tag League Night 11

1. David Finlay & Michael Elgin vs. Togi Makabe & Tomoaki Honma
    2. Minoru Suzuki & Zack Sabre Jr vs. Tama Tonga & Tanga Loa
    3. Hangman Page & Kota Ibushi vs. Tomohiro Ishii & Will Ospreay
    4. Juice Robinson & Toa Henare vs. Hirooki Goto & YOSHI-HASHI
    World Tag League Night 12

1. Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima vs. Beretta & Chuckie T
    2. Manabu Nakanishi & Yuji Nagata vs. Chase Owens & Yujiro Takahashi
    3. WALTER & Timothy Thatcher vs. EVIL & SANADA
    4. Davey Boy Smith Jr & Lance Archer vs. Taichi & Takashi Iizuka
    World Tag League Night 13

1. David Finlay & Michael Elgin vs. Juice Robinson & Toa Henare
    2. Hirooki Goto & YOSHI-HASHI vs. Hangman Page & Kota Ibushi
    3. Tomohiro Ishii & Will Ospreay vs. Minoru Suzuki & Zack Sabre Jr
    4. Tama Tonga & Tanga Loa vs. Togi Makabe & Tomoaki Honma
    World Tag League Finals

1. World Tag League: Group A Winner vs. Group B Winner
    Last edited by Happy Jon; 11-11-2018 at 10:54 AM.

THE HEARTBREAK KID

Status
      Country                    Portugal

All looks good to me so far mate. I really appreciate the breakdown's and the information for those involved in the tournaments, and the various scenarios going on.

I'll be reading along! :D
    Prepare for the.. BACKLASH!

...COMING SOON, TO THE "BTB" SECTION!

*** CREDIT TO THE LOOCHA BEAR FOR THE GRAPHIC ***

Thread Information