Thread: January 2019 Contract Updates

Status
      Country                    United States

NJPW January 2019 Contract Updates

Tokyo Sports has reported Kenny Omega is leaving NJPW.

Status

Re: NJPW General Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Necro View Post
    Tokyo Sports has reported Kenny Omega is leaving NJPW.
    Was just going to pop on here and post the same thing. Could be a work.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

On Vacation

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

KUSHIDA will be leaving too after his Contract expires in January. Dragon Gate or Noah hello start calling!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Kairi HoHo View Post
    KUSHIDA will be leaving too after his Contract expires in January. Dragon Gate or Noah hello start calling!
    WWE bound, most likely.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status
      Country                    United States

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    Was just going to pop on here and post the same thing. Could be a work.
    One thing is for sure... if he does leave, no matter where he goes, he is going to have an insane amount of pressure to back up the hype of the last couple of years.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Quote Originally Posted by Kairi HoHo View Post
    KUSHIDA to NOAH/DG loooools

He is probably going to WWE to join the invisible men in Tozawa and Itami. Must be wanting a change.

Yeah, I seen a rumour Omega got offered a ridiculous amount by WWE as well as some creative control. Seems like bullshit though.

Reckon he will be just fine wherever he goes. I imagine there are more bets being slapped down on him as Rumble winner now.

Though reading the article makes me think it could be a work with how he spoke about Tanahashi.
    Last edited by RainShaker; 01-07-2019 at 12:19 AM.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

To add to the news, the most shocking of all Takashi Iizuka has announced that he will be retiring . Watch his younger days if you can, he was quite good.

As for KUSHIDA and Omega leaving. Expected. Sad to see KUSHIDA go but the Junior Division is simply has no room to grow. He is a can't become a bigger star like former Juniors because of the way it's booked and they've already shown that they don't want him as a heavyweight. t's probably for the best and he is more over in the United States anyway. Good luck to him.

As for Omega, I expected this too. Some say it's a work, maybe but either way, I'm not really saddened by the news. Good luck to Omega if he goes to WWE.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    Hong Kong

I said the same thing about KUSHIDA, MC, it's certainly the best move for him to leave. He essentially said as much that if they'd do more with him he wouldn't be leaving NJPW.

As for Omega, why wouldn't WWE do everything they could to sign him after that billion dollar TV deal, essentially crippling their most dangerous US competitor before it even starts? I'd pay him double that 3.5 if I had to and nobody likes him less than me personally. I still think AEW could match if Khan is into it that much & he gets to be a guaranteed face of a company.

Remember though, he's still under contract with NJPW until January ends so it's pretty much impossible for him to show up at AEW Tuesday. For the Rumble it's a little more cloudy but it'd still probably take some kind of behind the scenes buyout to make that happen.

We can tell other people about...having faith. What we had faith in. What we found important enough to fight for. It's not whether you were right or wrong, but how much faith you were willing to have, that decides the future~

Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Dylan Fox (me) & Cagematch.net boss STRIGGA)

Check out our Patreon and support me please? 1/3/5 dollar tiers but any one is good! - The Eastern Lariat

Relentless Admin

Status

KUSHIDA - I'm pleased he's going because I've been a big fan, but after 8 years he's achieved everything he's going to achieve and we'd just get the same cycle of him being pushed BOSJ time and then nothing else. Really Kushida Vs Shingo is all we've lost from what we'd get in 2019 if he stayed. People will downplay it if he goes to 205 Live, but for someone like Kushida that would be a great brand with the chance to have very good matches every appearance, fresh matches we've never seen before and no need cut promos in clear English - it's the workrate show. NXT could work, I just don't see where he fits in as a featured act there, he's not a star on the level of Nakamura.

Omega - Not buying it, not buying it at all he's done. Nothing about January 4th suggested he was done; his finisher wasn't kicked out of, he dominated the match, he didn't say goodbye or bow or do anything towards the crowd that suggested he was leaving. He's too big a mark for himself and for Japanese culture to just leave the country for good without a sign he's going away for a long time. There seems a different tone to the announcement that Kushida has gone to the announcement Omega has gone. He's doing the same thing the last time his contract was up when his publicist (Meltzer) reported there was interest in him and it ramped up his value and he probably got more money out of New Japan for re-signing. And so he should, this time he gets to play Vince McMahon off of Tony Khan to see how much they really want him. It is so damn crucial that he signs up to AEW for that to have the excitement it needs right out of the gate because there are no other game changer free agents out there on his level, he's the crown jewel of The Elite and the reason for their biggest draws in ROH (before indy pops in of course I'm not saying Bucks aren't draws, just Kenny is the bigger one). Likewise, WWE have to try their damn hardest here to lure Kenny away from AEW with a monster offer because that's a huge blow to their competition and the idea that everything will be fine in AEW because they can spend at the level of WWE. My feeling is he's going to sign with AEW when all the dust settles and his New Japan contract truly runs out, once the money is good enough he'll stick with being the #1 star of AEW and a stronger grip on creative control. I think NJPW are staying loyal to ROH and for now won't be working with AEW so that might in fact be the case that he steps away from New Japan for a bit while all these companies talk to each other and work out if talents can be shared. I expect him back in New Japan this year, but I hope I'm wrong.

Weird Bitch Energy

Status

I don't think Omega to WWE is a work but Ed raises some good points. Interested to see how all that plays out

WAKE UP

Status

Surely it's quite likely he goes to AEW and won't work NJPW because of their relationship with ROH? Probably all still being negotiated I guess.

Relentless Admin

Status

It'll be a wait and see thing, ROH-NJPW relationship will have to continue as is until the MSG show mania weekend anyway, I think this double or nothing (ALL IN #2) is likely going to be the first show under the AEW umbrella, we'll see when that is but I bet it won't be until well past Wrestlemania. There's months yet for them to work out whats going on between all these promotions, but it works out well for Kenny to keep a low profile and walk away from New Japan, especially with Ibushi out concussed there's no natural place for him on the card.

I really really doubt Kenny actually wants to work for WWE considering he'll have things more in his favour in AEW and his bad experience in developmental years ago.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    Hong Kong

I think the worst case scenario is that he signs with AEW & leads an Elite invasion angle after the MSG show that takes up even more of NJPW than it did in 2018.

We can tell other people about...having faith. What we had faith in. What we found important enough to fight for. It's not whether you were right or wrong, but how much faith you were willing to have, that decides the future~

Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Dylan Fox (me) & Cagematch.net boss STRIGGA)

Check out our Patreon and support me please? 1/3/5 dollar tiers but any one is good! - The Eastern Lariat

Status

I can't imagine that Omega looks at how the WWE treats the likes of AJ Styles and Shinsuke Nakamura and their epic "dick n ball" feud, and thinks "I want me some of that". Its not that those guys have been denied the spotlight. Its just that... WWE gonna WWE. And creative control or not, it would happen with him too.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    I can't imagine that Omega looks at how the WWE treats the likes of AJ Styles and Shinsuke Nakamura and their epic "dick n ball" feud, and thinks "I want me some of that". Its not that those guys have been denied the spotlight. Its just that... WWE gonna WWE. And creative control or not, it would happen with him too.
    Iirc Kenny actually said one of the reasons he'd go to WWE is for the AJ and Nakamura matches. I think he was mostly fixated on AJ.

Omega to AEW seems likely and thats why NJPW are leaving his departure open ended/work like. There is such a contrast in how KUSHIDAs exit was announced and his.

I might be wrong here but didn't KUSHIDA himself refuse to move up to heavyweight? I don't think NJPW stifled him in that department and I think the writing has been on the wall for him ever since Hiromu broke through. It was nice of them to give him a farewell reign though.
    Last edited by RainShaker; 01-07-2019 at 05:44 PM.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Relentless Admin

Status

Re: January 2019 Contract Updates

Juice Robinson, Chase Owens and Rocky Romero have all re-signed with the company.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Juice Robinson, Chase Owens and Rocky Romero have all re-signed with the company.
    Is Romero one of the trainers for the new NJPW dojo in Cali or did I just make that up? I know Shibata is one of them, but it's my impression that Romero has some sort of role behind the scenes that I'd imagine would make it unlikely that he'd be leaving New Japan simply because this is going to be his career post in-ring.

Relentless Admin

Status

I think he is involved in some of the training, but Shibata is definitely head coach. I think Romero's main non-wrestling role with the company aside from managing RPG2k is a liaison for gaijins in the same way Karl Anderson used to be before he left. No surprises as you say that he stayed put, he's obviously a well thought of guy behind the scenes.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Is Romero one of the trainers for the new NJPW dojo in Cali or did I just make that up? I know Shibata is one of them, but it's my impression that Romero has some sort of role behind the scenes that I'd imagine would make it unlikely that he'd be leaving New Japan simply because this is going to be his career post in-ring.
    I think he is. He also came from the LA Dojo back in the 00's so it could be that.

Thread Information