Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: NXT Takeover: War Games II - November 17, 2018 - Card & Discussion

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

Re: NXT Takeover: War Games II - November 17, 2018 - Card & Discussion

More in depth thoughts on last night's show.

Matt Riddle vs Kassius Ohno: SQUASH
    Um, not what I expected but it was a nice finish.

WWE NXT Women's Title Best Two Out Of Three Falls Match - Shayna Baszler (c) vs. Kairi Sane:
    What a match. Almost sprint like but with 3 falls, I loved it. Baszler and the 4HW getting loads of boos for the interference. Baszler’s neck attacks at the beginning was a treat. Sadly they didn’t follow up on that in the next falls but the falls were still good. I can see people not liking the interference but that’s the point. You’re supposed to hate the interference. A heel gets hate. Good job IMO. ***3/4

Aleister Black vs. Johnny Gargano:
    Good match on paper and that’s what we got. This was really good. Gargano had his best match in a good long while. Going all the way back to January in the Almas match. Black’s striking was fantastic, Gargano’s wrestling as a heel is much improved over him wrestling as a face. Some bits had me worried such as the drama bits, they are bit comical, and the selling was meh (being generous here), but this was a very good match overall. ***1/4

WWE NXT Title Match - Tommaso Ciampa (c) vs. Velveteen Dream:
    I did not give two damns about this match, I was not invested and they did a pretty poor job of getting me invested for most of the match. It was really dull but by got me by the end with them going bat shit crazy (lol) and taking some nasty bumps. Again, Ciampa’s selling was bad, in particular the concrete spot. Credit to Dream, he looked like a star by the end. ***

War Games Match - Pete Dunne, Ricochet & War Raiders (Hanson & Rowe) vs. The Undisputed ERA (Adam Cole, Bobby Fish, Kyle O'Reilly & Roderick Strong):
    Oh wow. This is the definition of a match of two halves IMO. Everything from the entrances to the double submission spot w/ Dunne, KOR and Strong was tremendous. Everything was well paced, the big spots were compelling and well done. BUT the match kept going on and going on and going on and I lost interest in the match. It just became boring to me and that stare off spot. I imagine on another day I would’ve liked it but man, WTF was that. KOR was fantastic in this match, he was the star throughout, even when the match went past it’s peak. ***1/4

7/10 Show
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

Last Real Man Hype

Status

I asked Mauro and apparently War Games still hasn't officially started yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakstang
    You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Baszler vs. Sane – Loved this match, I think it might be my favourite of their matches together. Just a balls to the wall sprint with a 2 out of 3 falls twist. Loads of fun ***1/2

Gargano vs Black – I thought this was fun and fine but fuck me did they not want to sell a single move in this match at times. Black takes a spike rana? Better get up so I can hit Johnny with a knee strike. Johnny as a heel is whatever but I agree with Ed about the Gargano talking through the match I can’t remember the last time WWE did something like that where it didn’t feel like the cheesiest shit ever – oh wait, yes I can. It’s Michaels vs Flair from Wrestlemania. Every time since then I think it has sucked ass. It’s the exact same stuff I loved to criticise HHH and Michaels about in the past and I’ll do it for Gargano and Black too. Despite that, this isn’t the reason I didn’t care for this. I didn’t care for this because it is fundamentally different to what I want to see from a wrestling match. It’s exciting, but it’s easy to have an exciting match if you are completely ignoring one part of wrestling, and that is transitions. I never once felt like any move in this match was earned. It was the ultimate show of your move-my move.This was a good spotfest but I don’t think it was much more than that..***1/4

Dream vs. Ciampa – Opening sections of this match were superb. Dream is phenomenal – his matches feel different and interesting because you know you’re going to get something unique. And I thought Ciampa’s control sections were very good too. The use of the ring post figure four and Ciampa tapping out was great because it led to the figure four in the ring. What would otherwise be a pretty tame submission moment all of a sudden became something interesting. Very very clever. This was absolutely superb and I loved almost every minute of it. The moment with the concrete was incredibly annoying however and was the only real negative of the match because it was treated as if it never happened. Despite that, I definitely think it makes my top 10 WWE matches for the year. ****1/4

I was wondering what Ciampa was going to do to make me love him, or if Ed was being sarcastic. And then it happened. 5 stars.

War Games – Some say this match is still going on right now. Better than last year’s effort but could have done with some serious trimming – the match beyond was by far the worst part of the match. It was fine though, but I’ll admit I wasn’t particularly interested or into it. ***

Last Real Man Hype

Status

What's the problem with the concrete? Ciampa took that Death Valley Driver on the folded up mat.

You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

THE MAN

Status
      Country                    England

I thought it was smack bang in the middle of the 2018 Takeovers, better than Brooklyn and Chicago, but not as good as Philly and NOLA.

I loved the first half of the wargames match, I think the 4 on 4 format was better than last years and I appreciated some slower moments in the match on a night of go go go wrestling, but the 'match beyond' really dragged and easily went about 10 minutes too long which could of been given to something else on the show like a proper Riddle/Ohno match or maybe give Kairi and Shayna more time. I mean last years was a long match, but this was 10 minutes longer than that one and it had less wrestlers in it. What we've learned from these two matches are that it will not end until all the tables have broken and it will not end until someone has dived off the top of the cage so I just found myself being disinterested in the nearfalls until those events had happened. Era blocking one half of the ring while Dunne was in a submission was pretty damn cool though I thought.

I like that they've set up Ricochet/Dunne and established they've got unfinished business with each other. I guess Black Vs Ciampa is the next obvious direction for the NXT title with Black being the #1 babyface on the show and has put Johnny in the rearview mirror. I really don't know what you do with Johnny next.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Marketh View Post
    What's the problem with the concrete? Ciampa took that Death Valley Driver on the folded up mat.
    Wow, shows how much I was paying attention then

That's a bit more forgivable.

WAKE UP

Status

so this was the weakest Takeover show ever right? for all the talk before hand of them only wanting 4 matches so they can go long, they really should have just given Riddle and Ohno a proper match and cut atleast five minutes off each other mens matches

Established Veteran

Status
      Country                    Wales

My main issue with the show is the fact that the three main matches went on for too long. You take out that couple of minutes for Riddle/Ohno and you had 4 matches in a 2 hour 45 minute or so show, on average that's over 40 minutes per segment...and that is what hurts it overall.
    I have a plan so cunning......

Last Real Man Hype

Status

I had no problem with the length of Ciampa/Dream. It got a bit nearfall-heavy, but each nearfall was also really well done.

WAKE UP

Status

I think it could have done without some bloat in the middle, could have done with Ciampa bothering to sell the leg injury, and could have done with Ciampa not blowing off a DVD on the floor followed by Dream's finish and popping back up immediately after he splattered himself on the floor. I thought it was MOTN but that was a testament to Dream's progress as a worker.

Status
      Country                    United States

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    Baszler vs. Sane – Loved this match, I think it might be my favourite of their matches together. Just a balls to the wall sprint with a 2 out of 3 falls twist. Loads of fun ***1/2

Gargano vs Black – I thought this was fun and fine but fuck me did they not want to sell a single move in this match at times. Black takes a spike rana? Better get up so I can hit Johnny with a knee strike. Johnny as a heel is whatever but I agree with Ed about the Gargano talking through the match I can’t remember the last time WWE did something like that where it didn’t feel like the cheesiest shit ever – oh wait, yes I can. It’s Michaels vs Flair from Wrestlemania. Every time since then I think it has sucked ass. It’s the exact same stuff I loved to criticise HHH and Michaels about in the past and I’ll do it for Gargano and Black too. Despite that, this isn’t the reason I didn’t care for this. I didn’t care for this because it is fundamentally different to what I want to see from a wrestling match. It’s exciting, but it’s easy to have an exciting match if you are completely ignoring one part of wrestling, and that is transitions. I never once felt like any move in this match was earned. It was the ultimate show of your move-my move.This was a good spotfest but I don’t think it was much more than that..***1/4

Dream vs. Ciampa – Opening sections of this match were superb. Dream is phenomenal – his matches feel different and interesting because you know you’re going to get something unique. And I thought Ciampa’s control sections were very good too. The use of the ring post figure four and Ciampa tapping out was great because it led to the figure four in the ring. What would otherwise be a pretty tame submission moment all of a sudden became something interesting. Very very clever. This was absolutely superb and I loved almost every minute of it. The moment with the concrete was incredibly annoying however and was the only real negative of the match because it was treated as if it never happened. Despite that, I definitely think it makes my top 10 WWE matches for the year. ****1/4

I was wondering what Ciampa was going to do to make me love him, or if Ed was being sarcastic. And then it happened. 5 stars.

War Games – Some say this match is still going on right now. Better than last year’s effort but could have done with some serious trimming – the match beyond was by far the worst part of the match. It was fine though, but I’ll admit I wasn’t particularly interested or into it. ***
    I'm pretty much down with everything you said. I think your ratings are definitely on point and though I really don't hate an overly fast paced spot fest too much I do see the glaring issue with it and it's definitely fair to deduct some points from it for that.

Scumbag Role Model

Status

I guess I’m the only one who thought this was a killer show from top to bottom. I enjoyed every single match greatly. The War Games match felt much of the same from last year but I liked that match a lot too and I liked this one. The agression never felt like it left for me.

Fantastic show.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

The Man

Status

I rewatched this on the Network and it was still just as awesome as it was seeing it in person. This was the best wrestling show I have ever experienced live. Every match delivered like I expected they would.

https://instagram.com/p/BqVWiNCAkp7-...D5LSH0q5EbJM0/

That’s my shot of Ricochet going off the war games structure.

Rest in power, Flock U

Team Cyrus T is Best for Business

Quote Originally Posted by Ed
    Stop the hating of the E-Feds. If you don't like something, that's fine, just ignore it and let the people who do enjoy what they're here on WC to do. Mocking them to make you feel less of a geek for being on a geek on a wrestling forum is lame. If you want to not read their posts, I can fix that for you.

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    My main issue with the show is the fact that the three main matches went on for too long. You take out that couple of minutes for Riddle/Ohno and you had 4 matches in a 2 hour 45 minute or so show, on average that's over 40 minutes per segment...and that is what hurts it overall.
    I'd argue that only the ME went too long. Gargano/Black only went around 25 - 30 mins including entrances and such (about 18 mins of actual matchtime) while Dream/Ciampa went around 30 mins with everything (Around 20 mins of actual match time). I'm pretty sure the ME went over an hour with everything included which is crazy (the actual match was just short of 50 mins). They really could have shaved at least 10 (if not 15) mins from the main event and it would have been just as good.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Nicky View Post
    I guess I’m the only one who thought this was a killer show from top to bottom. I enjoyed every single match greatly. The War Games match felt much of the same from last year but I liked that match a lot too and I liked this one. The agression never felt like it left for me.

Fantastic show.
    Nope.. I also thought it was an absolute home run. My only actual complaint for the whole event was the tower of doom spot and Ricochet's jump off the cage. Those spots make it literally impossible to suspend your disbelief. But other than that I thought it was all gravy.

THE HEARTBREAK KID

Status
      Country                    Portugal

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Nicky View Post

Fantastic show.
    Nope! 100% agree, buddy.

only small minor complaint for me was the squash match and that's only because I don't feel a "squash" ever belongs on a PPv card but that's my preference.

Aside from that- Outstanding! Loved it.
    Prepare for the.. BACKLASH!

...COMING SOON, TO THE "BTB" SECTION!

*** CREDIT TO THE LOOCHA BEAR FOR THE GRAPHIC ***

Thread Information