Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Gorilla Position

White Iverson

Status
      Country                    Australia

WWE The Gorilla Position

"Ladies and gentlemen,
    Good evening..."

Well this is certainly a surprise. Yes, I’m jumping into a WWE project for the simple fact that I’ve hit a wall over the last two months with the Death of the nWo. For whatever reason every time I sat down to write something for my previous thread I either wasn’t happy with how it came out or I made little to no progress. After deliberating on it for the past month and playing around in the tournament I’ve decided to give a WWE project a chance once again.

I thought for a little bit that maybe I needed to take a break from booking overall but the tournament allowed me to play around in the world of WWE and ultimately that’s where I have the most fun. Fear not if you enjoyed by WCW thread because it will return eventually. It’s safe to say it’s at the halfway point with a long list of weekly shows and four pay-per-views in full. I just want to try something new for a period and hopefully get to write that in full WrestleMania now that I’ve written a Starrcade.

With that said it’s time we jump into crafting the world I hope to develop for the considerable future. The question on your mind as you’re reading this has to be; what time period are you booking? Well, if we go back nearly a full decade I once had a little thread set in 2005. While I’m not bringing that over or continuing from it at all; I am going to use that same time period as our starting point. This thread will begin in late 2005. The night of Survivor Series to be exact.

I’m going to assume that most of you haven’t seen that show for a couple of years. Perhaps you haven’t seen it in thirteen years since it aired. I wouldn’t blame you. It’s a rather poor show. The event has one good match on it which is the main event but everything else is like getting kicked below the belt for two hours. What you'll find below are the results for at best a thumbs in the middle pay-per-view.

**SURVIVOR SERIES RESULTS**
    27/11/2005

WWE United States Championship
    Best of Seven Series (Match 1)

Booker T (w/ Sharmell) def. Chris Benoit

WWE Women’s Championship
    Trish Stratus [c] (w/ Mickie James) def. Melina (w/ Joey Mercury and Johnny Nitro)

Last Man Standing Match
    Triple H def. Ric Flair

WWE Championship
    Special Guest Referee: Daivari
    John Cena [c] def. Kurt Angle

Interpromotional Match

Theodore Long (w/ Palmer Cannon) def. Eric Bischoff

Traditional Survivor Series Tag Team Match
    Team SmackDown! (Batista, Rey Mysterio, John "Bradshaw" Layfield, Bobby Lashley & Randy Orton) def. Team Raw (Shawn Michaels, Kane, The Big Show, Carlito & Chris Masters)

What To Expect From Here?

Notes

As you may have noticed from my previous project I like to shape the world I write in before jumping into weekly shows. I plan on doing in full RAW and SMACKDOWN! episodes no matter how long it takes. I don’t suspect that we’ll be flying through shows like I did when all I had to do was write Nitro and then Thunder was a quick summary. I’m going to be putting my full attention into this thread and making it my best WWE effort I’ve ever done. My goal is WrestleMania and I don’t plan on rushing to get there. If I’m going to do it than I’m going to do it the right way.

The start of this thread is rather simple. Survivor Series 2005 has jumped happened the night before. No changes have been made to the actual results themselves. If you were to watch the show in real life than you could immediately jump into this thread. That being said, changes are part of life and I have made some post-show adjustments that will come into effect right away. Only one of them has any real impact on Survivor Series because the rest are off-screen, people who were hurt and expected to return that I want on the roster from the start.

To begin we should get the big one out of the way. Chris Benoit is out. I refuse to use Benoit in any and all projects that I do. That does raise the question as to what happens with the WWE United States Championship on SMACKDOWN! and the best of seven series he was having with Booker T at the time. In short, that will be addressed in the first summary that I present as part of this thread. Benoit will be released and the WWE United States Championship will remain vacant until the first SMACKDOWN! pay-per-view under my booking which is Armageddon to close the year.

Other changes include the healing of such superstars as Rob Van Dam (who returned at the Royal Rumble in 2006 but will be back in December), Mark Henry (will be back on SMACKDOWN! sooner than in real life), Eugene (will be back in January) and the delayed return of Money in the Bank holder Edge.

We’re nearly done with the house keeping and the opening post. Good on you for sticking it out this far. You read that correctly earlier when I mentioned a summary. In fact, you’ll get two of them. While this thread has a starting point of 2005, I will not be booking weekly until the night after New Year’s Revolution 2006. That means we need some details on how we got there. What I will do is the exact same method I did in my previous thread but with coverage for both RAW and SMACKDOWN!

I’ll do the road to Armageddon for the blue brand and then the road to New Year’s Revolution for the red side. The pay-per-views will be summarised as it’s more about setting up the world rather than providing super detailed accounts. Most of the storylines are going to be spun off what WWE was running at the time and my handy work won’t be in full effect until the start of the year once I’ve positioned everyone where I want them.

That’s it! I hope you’ve enjoyed this opening post and are excited for what is next to come. I’ll follow this post with a set of rosters for both brands and then a separate post for title histories and show archives over the next few days. It got a bit cluttered in my previous thread without breaking them up so hopefully I can keep them a bit cleaner in this thread. Once the title histories/show archive has been posted I’ll proceed with the first summary for SMACKDOWN! into Armageddon. I haven't finished the summary for either show yet but I'm hoping that me getting the thread posted will be the kick up the backside I need to get them finished and onto the weekly shows come 2006 and the road to WrestleMania.

QUICK LINKS
    WWE Roster Page
    Title Histories/Show Archive
    Summary One
    Summary Two
    Last edited by EZ3; 10-12-2018 at 07:54 PM.

Sometimes I write stuff on the internet and people like it (sometimes).

Maple Leaf Muscle

Status
      Country                    Canada

Re: The Gorilla Position

The time period when I first started watching! Cannot wait, should be great!

Shoulder To Shoulder

Status
      Country                    Ireland

I know it's not the most important thing ... but that's an excellent thread name. Instantly stands out.

I was a big fan of your WCW thread, and I'm glad it'll be back eventually. But, I'm a lot more excited for this, being much more familiar with the WWE product, especially the 2000's. Not using Benoit is totally understandable. Not sure I could ever do a thread booking him week to week either. But I think you're a little hard on that Survivor Series show. I thought it was one of the better shows in 2005. Granted, not a high bar, but still.

Looking forward to this. Good luck.

White Iverson

Status

WWE ~ The Gorilla Position
    Presented by EZ3

~ The Roster ~
    Antonio
    Ashley Massaro
    Candice Michelle
    Carlito
    Charlie Haas
    Chavo Guerrero
    Chris Masters
    Edge
    Gene Snitsky
    Gregory Helms
    John Cena
    Kane
    Kurt Angle
    Lance Cade
    Lita
    Matt Striker
    Mickie James
    Orlando Jordan
    Ric Flair
    Rob Conway
    Rob Van Dam
    Romeo
    Rosey
    Shawn Michaels
    Shelton Benjamin
    Tajiri
    The Big Show
    Trevor Murdoch
    Triple H
    Trish Stratus
    Tyson Tomko
    Val Venis
    Victoria
    Viscera

~ Stables And Tag Teams ~
    Kurt Angle (with Daivari)
    Edge (with Lita)
    Ashley, Mickie James & Trish Stratus
    Carlito & Chris Masters
    Kane & The Big Show
    Gene Snitsky & Tyson Tomko
    The Heart Throbs: Antonio & Romeo
    Cade & Murdoch: Lance Cade & Trevor Murdoch
    V-Squared: Val Venis & Viscera
    Vince's Devils: Victoria, Candice Michelle & Torrie Wilson

~ Administration ~
    General Manager: Eric Bischoff
    Play-by-play Commentator: Joey Styles
    Colour Commentator: Jonathan Coachman
    Colour Commentator: Jerry Lawler

Backstage Interviewers: Maria & Todd Grisham
    Ring Announcer: Lillian Garcia

~ Current Champions ~
    WWE Championship: John Cena
    WWE Intercontinental Championship: Ric Flair
    WWE Women’s Championship: Trish Stratus
    World Tag Team Championships: Kane & Big Show
    Money in the Bank: Edge

~ The Roster ~

Batista
    Bobby Lashley
    Boogeyman
    Booker T
    Brian Kendrick
    Chad Dick
    Christy Hemme
    Eugene
    Funaki

Hardcore Holly
    Heidenreich
    James Dick
    Jillian
    Joey Mercury
    John "Bradshaw" Layfield
    Johnny Nitro
    Juventud
    Ken Kennedy
    Kid Kash
    Mark Henry
    Matt Hardy
    Melina
    Nunzio
    Paul Burchill
    Paul London
    Psicosis
    Randy Orton
    Rey Mysterio
    Road Warrior Animal
    Scotty 2 Hotty
    Simon Dean
    Super Crazy
    Sylvan
    The Undertaker
    Vito
    William Regal

~Stables and Tag Teams ~

Booker T (with Sharmell)
    Paul Burchill & William Regal
    John "Bradshaw" Layfield (with Jillian)
    The Dicks: Chad Dick & James Dick
    The FBI: Nunzio & Vito
    The Hooligans: Paul London & Brian Kendrick
    The Mexicools: Juventud, Psicosis & Super Crazy
    MNM: Joey Mercury, Johnny Nitro & Melina

~ Administration ~

General Manager: Theodore Long
    Play-by-play Commentator: Michael Cole
    Colour Commentator: Tazz
    Backstage Interviewer: Todd Grisham & Kristal Marshall
    Ring Announcer: Tony Chimel

~ Current Champions ~
    World Heavyweight Championship: Batista
    WWE United States Championship: Vacant
    WWE Cruiserweight Championship: Juventud
    WWE Tag Team Championships: MNM

----------

~ Pay-Per-View Schedule ~
    ARMAGEDDON:
    DECEMBER 18, 2005 // DUNKIN' DONUTS CENTER // PROVIDENCE, RHODE ISLAND
    NEW YEAR'S REVOLUTION: JANUARY 8, 2006 // PEPSI ARENA // ALBANY, NEW YORK
    ROYAL RUMBLE: JANUARY 29, 2006 // AMERICAN AIRLINES ARENA // MIAMI, FLORIDA
    NO WAY OUT: FEBRUARY 19, 2006 // 1ST MARINER ARENA // BALTIMORE, MARYLAND
    WRESTLEMANIA 22: APRIL 2, 2006 // ALLSTATE ARENA // ROSEMONT, ILLINOIS
    BACKLASH:
    APRIL 30, 2006 // RUPP ARENA // LEXINGTON, KENTUCKY
    Last edited by EZ3; 10-19-2018 at 11:02 PM.

Status
      Country                    United States

As long as you make The Heartthrobs tag champs you've done right by me.

BACK ON TOP

Status

I like this time period a lot more than some do. Not because of what happened (2005 was very so so in my opinion) but because of the flexibility, the freedom and, really, the roster. The roster is as good as it gets for mid-2000s WWE if you REALLY use it to its full potential. I've no doubt that you're capable of that. Best of luck!

White Iverson

Status

This is the last of the house keeping posts before I move onto the build for Armageddon and New Year's Revolution. Thanks to everyone who has shown support so far. Really looking forward to jumping in with both feet and getting this thing started.

~ TELEVISION ARCHIVE ~

RAW: JANUARY 9, 2006 | HERSHEY, PENNSYLVANIA - "FINDING HIS SMILE"
    SMACKDOWN: JANUARY 13, 2006 | PHILADELPHIA, PENNSYLVANIA - "PAST MEETS THE PRESENT"
    RAW: JANUARY 16, 2006 | RALEIGH, NORTH CAROLINA - "EARN YOUR SPOT"
    SMACKDOWN: JANUARY 20, 2006 | FLORENCE, SOUTH CAROLINA - "THE HUNTED"

~
    CHAMPIONSHIP HISTORIES ~

---

WWE Championship:

(1) John Cena (April 3rd, 2005 - January 8th, 2006) (281 Days)
    Defeated John 'Bradshaw' Layfield (WrestleMania 21: Los Angeles, CA)
    Lost to Shawn Michaels (New Year's Revolution: Albany, NY)

(4) Shawn Michaels (January 8th, 2006 - Present)
    Defeated John Cena (New Year's Revolution: Albany, NY)

---

WWE Intercontinental Championship:

(1) Ric Flair (September 18th, 2005 - November 28th, 2005) (72 Days)
    Defeated Carlito (Unforgiven: Oklahoma City, OK)
    Lost to Gregory Helms (RAW: Cleveland, OH)

(1) Gregory Helms (November 28th, 2005 - Present)
    Defeated Ric Flair (RAW: Cleveland, OH)

---

WWE Women's Championship:

(6) Trish Stratus (January 9th, 2005 - Present)
    Defeated Lita (New Year's Revolution: San Juan, Puerto Rico)

---

World Tag Team Championships:

(1) Kane & Big Show (November 1st, 2005 - January 8th, 2006) (69 Days)
    Defeated Lance Cade & Trevor Murdoch (Taboo Tuesday: San Diego, CA)
    Lost to World's Greatest Tag Team (New Year's Revolution: Albany, NY)

(1) World's Greatest Tag Team (January 8th, 2006 - Present)
    Defeated Kane & Big Show (New Year's Revolution: Albany, NY)

---

World Heavyweight Championship:

(1) Batista (April 3rd, 2005 - January 29th, 2006) (301 Days)
    Defeated Triple H (WrestleMania 21: Los Angeles, CA)
    Lost to Edge (Royal Rumble: Miami, FL)

(1) Edge (January 29th, 2006 - Present)
    Defeated Batista via Money in the Bank Cash-In (Royal Rumble: Miami, FL)

---

WWE United States Championship:

(3) Booker T (October 18th, 2005 - November 22nd, 2005) (35 Days)
    Defeated Chris Benoit (Smackdown!: Reno, NV)
    Stripped of the title following a double pinfall with Chris Benoit (Sheffield, England)

(*) Vacant (November 22nd, 2005 - December 18th, 2005) (27 Days)
    Due to draw between Booker T & Chris Benoit (Smackdown!: Sheffield, England)
    Won by Matt Hardy by defeating Booker T (Armageddon: Providence, RI)

(1) Matt Hardy (December 18th, 2005 - Present)
    Defeated Booker T (Armageddon: Providence, RI)

---

WWE Cruiserweight Championship:

(5) Juventud (November 22nd, 2005 - December 18th, 2005) (27 Days)
    Defeated Nunzio (Smackdown!: Sheffield, England)
    Lost to Simon Dean (Armageddon: Providence, RI)

(1) Simon Dean (December 18th, 2005 - Present)
    Defeated Juventud (Armageddon: Providence, RI)

---

WWE Tag Team Championships:

(2) MNM (October 25th, 2005 - Present)
    Defeated the Legion of Doom (Smackdown!: Daly City, CA)

---

Royal Rumble Winners:
    2005 - Batista (Entered at #28) (1)
    2006 - Randy Orton (Entered at #30) (1)

---

Money in the Bank Winners:
    2005 - Edge
    2006 - TBA

---

King of the Ring Winners:
    2006 - TBA
    Last edited by EZ3; 07-12-2019 at 05:50 PM.

Chikara Trainee

Status

A lot of people have commented, but this is by far my favorite era in the WWE. I got into it back in late 2004 and early 2005, to where I was watching on a more consistent and weekly basis, aside from whenever The Rock was on.

Taking over at Survivor Series is a pivotal point. It wasn't going downhill, but this is in prime position to carry this further than it had gone. I know your goal is for WrestleMania 22 but I would love to see this take hold to WrestleMania 23 to see how much you would keep the same and how much would change.

White Iverson

Status

- SUMMARY ONE -

Survivor Series - Armageddon
    November 27, 2005 - December 18, 2005

It is to be expected that Survivor Series would be one of the most talked about events of the year for the WWE. It’s role as one of the ‘Big Four’ events has seen Survivor Series become one of the most anticipated that the company offers to its worldwide audience. However, what was unexpected is that the biggest talking point coming out of the show, at least for SMACKDOWN!, would be a man that wasn’t even featured on the official card. The Undertaker had returned to close the show after Randy Orton emerged victories in the RAW vs. SMACKDOWN! Traditional Survivor Series Tag Team match. The Deadman and Orton had been battling since WrestleMania and their rivalry only intensified during the summer after Orton lit a casket on fire whilst The Undertaker was trapped inside. Since then he had been missing from television but now The Undertaker had returned and was ready to seek vengeance on the Legend Killer. Randy Orton had no intention of facing The Undertaker in the immediate future and that was made clear on the first episode of SMACKDOWN! following Survivor Series.

World Heavyweight Championship: Batista defends against Bobby Lashley, Rey Mysterio & John 'Bradshaw' Layfield
    It was the SMACKDOWN! immediately after Survivor Series; Teddy Long appeared in the ring and announced that as a reward for Team SMACKDOWN! being victorious at Survivor Series he would grant all the members of the team a shot at the World Heavyweight Championship. Having gathered Bobby Lashley, Rey Mysterio, John ‘Bradshaw’ Layfield and reigning World Champion Batista in the ring for the announcement it was to no surprise that Randy Orton angrily made his way down to ringside. Orton disputed the claim that anybody but him should be rewarded since he alone was the sole survivor. To the surprise of Orton, Teddy Long agreed that Orton did deserve a specific reward for his achievement and role in SMACKDOWN!’s victory.

As a result, Orton was granted with a World Heavyweight Title shot the next week in a singles match while Lashley, Layfield and Mysterio would compete in a fatal four way with either Orton or Batista as champion in a few weeks at Armageddon. A week later, Orton would be closing in on the World Title, Batista still showing signs of the injuries he had sustained at the hands of Team RAW’s invasion before Survivor Series, but ultimately the Animal would retain the title thanks to an assist by The Undertaker. The lights would go out as Orton was primed for the RKO, once they returned it left Orton flustered, Batista would strike with a spear and score the three count. That would lock-in the main event of Armageddon as Batista defending the World Championship against his Survivor Series teammates; Bobby Lashley, John ‘Bradshaw’ Layfield and Rey Mysterio in a fatal four way match.

Building towards the fatal four way at Armageddon the dynamic of the individuals involved was rather interesting. Batista under normal circumstances would’ve been the clear favourite heading into the event but his lingering injuries stemming from Survivor Series hindered his performances throughout the build. In fact, he was defeated by newcomer Bobby Lashley in a singles match with Michael Cole repeatedly stating that Batista shouldn’t have been cleared to compete and needed time to rest. Lashley was by far the hottest individual going into the showdown. He had scored victories over all three other men – a feat which only he can claim during the build.

Rey Mysterio and JBL butted heads in the weeks following Survivor Series. One of the major points was Layfield whining about how he should’ve got a singles match against Batista instead of Orton. His rationale was that it was his distraction in the final moments at Survivor Series which led to Orton securing the victory for SMACKDOWN! and without JBL than Team RAW would’ve won. Mysterio was sick of the complaining and had no problem calling Layfield out on it. The two would argue backstage when Layfield interrupted Rey’s interview; claiming nobody cared what he had to say and that Rey shouldn’t be involved in the Armageddon main event because of his failure to qualify as a heavyweight.

Tension continued to build between the four men as Armageddon approached. Batista’s heavy strapping to protect his injuries drew the attention of JBL. A tag match involving all four men – Lashley forced to team with Layfield while Batista and Mysterio joined force – was the perfect opportunity for JBL to strike. He would hit Mysterio low with a kick, forcing the DQ, and then use the Heavyweight Title against Batista. Smashing the belt into the bad shoulder before parading around ringside with the title belt. His celebration would be cut short by Lashley; a devastating spear sending Layfield to the floor. In the end, Lashley would be the only man standing out of the four. A common theme over the build and one that the newcomer hoped would continue when the title was on the line.

Hell in a Cell: The Undertaker versus Randy Orton

It’s safe to say that Orton was furious. The following week he spent the entire show demanding a one on one rematch with Batista for the title. Teddy Long refused earlier on in the show but that only drove Orton over the edge causing him to assault people backstage and hijack the show later in the night. Forced to negotiate, Teddy Long and Orton faced off in the middle of the ring. Orton demanding a title shot or he would take out anybody who dare to get in his way. After being informed that the fatal four way had already be signed for Armageddon, Orton throttled Teddy by the collar and once again threatened to ruin SMACKDOWN! until he got what he deserved. At this point, The Undertaker would rise once more and send Orton scurrying from the ring. The Legend Killer wanted no part of the Deadman so long as he could help it.

Unfortunately, Teddy Long had decided he was sick of dealing with the demands of the third generation star. Instead of being granted a title shot by Teddy Long, Orton was granted a number one contender match at Armageddon. His opponent… The Undertaker. Oh, and if that wasn’t enough it was to be inside Hell in a Cell. A chance for this near yearlong rivalry to come to an end. During the time between Survivor Series and Armageddon we had seen Randy Orton show nothing but cowardice towards facing The Undertaker again. Well, in the final hour, the last SMACKDOWN! before their clash inside the devil’s playground, Orton would strike first blood when he put The Undertaker on his back thanks to a steel chair and an RKO. He may not have wanted to face The Undertaker again but Orton wanted to be World Champion and he’d go through hell to get it.

WWE United States Championship: Booker T versus Matt Hardy

Following the release of Chris Benoit from the WWE it left a huge question mark over the expected Best of Seven series between Benoit and Booker T. It took little to no time at all for Booker T to appear on SMACKDOWN! after Survivor Series to proclaim himself as the undisputed WWE United States Heavyweight Champion. He even had a belt! Confetti fell from the ceiling, pyro went off in the background and Booker T had seemingly organized professional photographers to capture his crowning moment. As grand as this ceremony was it turned out to be a work of fiction. Booker T was not the WWE United States Champion as recognized by SMACKDOWN! or the WWE. Teddy Long would announce to the world that the title was vacant due to the departure of Chris Benoit and the series being unable to finish.

Making his case to the General Manager, Booker T argued that because he had won the first match of the series, therefore being up 1-0, he was indeed the only suitable candidate for champion. Fans detested the idea that Booker T would be handed the title and so did Teddy Long. It would be one week later that Teddy announced that the title would remain vacant until Armageddon where a new champion would be crowned. Booker T having earned a victory in the Best of Seven series would automatically earn a spot in the match whilst his opponent would be decided by a battle royal. Fifteen men would compete for the spot and Matt Hardy was the one to emerge as the winner. Throughout the build to Armageddon, Booker T repeatedly used Sharmell as a distraction to get inside the head of Matt Hardy. These distractions allowed Booker to execute sneak attacks or score cheap tag team victories over his fellow contender.

WWE Cruiserweight Championship: Juventud defends against Simon Dean

The Mexicools were riding high after Survivor Series now that Juventud was the WCW Cruiserweight Champion. They couldn’t have asked for anything else after earning a victory on the pre-show of the event. The victory would ignite a fire within the man they defeated; Simon Dean. The weight loss guru famous for the Simon System had been mocked and defeated by the Mexicools in the build to Survivor Series and that continued on SMACKDOWN! for several weeks leading into Armageddon. While making a pilot for his ‘as seen on TV’ spot, Simon Dean would be interrupted by Juventud and the Mexicools who mocked his Simon System. The next week, Dean presented an in-ring demonstration of the Simon System with a group of volunteers who he presented as being random from the audience.

Juventud and the Mexicools once again made their way down to ringside and revealed they had footage from earlier in the day of the parking lot. In said footage it showed Simon Dean giving the supposedly random audience members cash! It was all con. Dean was left embarrassed and the following week he struck back. Taking out Super Crazy backstage in a vicious assault; Dean then targeted Psicosis before storming to the ring during Juventud’s match and laying him out with the Cruiserweight Title. Dean then challenged Juventud to a match for the title and said he could make the weight limit because his Simon System made him superior than any man in the WWE! During the final SMACKDOWN! we saw Dean weigh-in backstage, he made weight, and Teddy Long signed the match. Dean would get his chance to make the Mexicools pay for ruining his promotional opportunities repeatedly and Juventud would get his chance to make Dean regret putting his hands on him and his friends.

Singles Match: Mark Henry versus Hardcore Holly

It’s always said that you can never say never in the WWE. Surprises are to be expected in the crazy world of professional wrestling and SMACKDOWN! provided yet another example when Mark Henry returned to the blue brand post-Survivor Series. The World’s Strongest Man made an immediate impact on the show when he defeated Vito in under two minutes on his return. It was a vicious beating which saw Henry crush the FBI member with the World’s Strongest Slam and place a single foot on the chest of his opponent for the three count. For the next two weeks we would see much of the same with Henry facing a local jobber and squashing them within minutes. After each match, Henry would order a ringside worker to fetch him a microphone. Henry issued a challenge to any member of the SMACKDOWN! roster for a match at Armageddon.

The first time he did this Henry got no response. When he did it a second time, now claiming that he had been ignored because SMACKDOWN! feared him, he received an answer from veteran wrestler Hardcore Holly. A no nonsense workhorse, Holly didn’t mix words with Henry. Instead he walked right up to the big man and chopped the absolute shit out of him. That sent Henry to the back and ignited the crowd which had seen Henry crush everyone in his path for weeks. Hardcore Holly wasn’t going to fall in line to be the next on that list. Doing an interview afterwards, Holly said he had been a member of the SMACKDOWN! roster for a long time and when someone like Henry comes onto the brand, starts talking smack, those are fighting words. Holly had never backed down from a fight in his life and wasn’t about to start now.

Singles Match: Ken Kennedy versus Boogeyman
    One of the oddest happenings in the WWE between Survivor Series and Armageddon for SMACKDOWN! was the appearances of The Boogeyman. His fascination with worms sent chills down the spine of many WWE superstars and fans alike. His entrance a sight to behold and post-match antics a sight to make your stomach turn. One such fellow who did not take kindly to the use of worms was Ken Kennedy. A fresh face on the blue brand in recent months, Kennedy had fallen short of joining the SMACKDOWN! team at Survivor Series but had racked up a few impressive victories in the following weeks. It would be during a backstage segment where Kennedy and Boogeyman crossed paths. After another win, Ken Kennedy stormed onto an interview set and grabbed a microphone – proclaiming that this was just the start of the most promising young career in the WWE.

Suddenly, the lights would go red and the Boogeyman appeared, shaking his legs and sticking out his tongue with a handful of worms. That was enough to send Kennedy running in disgust. The next week, Kennedy was in the ring, bad mouthing the sick individual who interrupted him last week. Once again we saw the Boogeyman appear, this time inside the ring, behind Kennedy, before hitting a Boogeyslam on Kennedy. With a prone opponent inside the ring, the crowd waiting, one eye on the ring and the other closed, trying not to look, the Boogeyman revealed a handful of dirty worms. Thankfully, at least for Kennedy, the brash youngster rolled to safety and ran up the entrance ramp, avoiding the sickening fate of many others. As a result of this growing tension a match was booked for Armageddon; Ken Kennedy versus the Boogeyman. Will Kennedy continue his hot streak of late or will the Boogeyman make his opponent’s nightmare a reality?

WWE Tag Team Championships: MNM defends against Legion of Doom

The tag team division of SMACKDOWN! continued to heat up following Survivor Series now that the champions were ready to defend the belts once again. A rivalry from the Summer would reignite towards the end of the year with MNM being challenged by former champions, the Legion of Doom. Heidenreich and Road Warrior Animal stepped up to the plate for another shot at MNM. As you would expect, the champions denied this result citing the fact that MNM had beaten LOD only a few months ago to win the titles. This feud between these two teams was clearly on its last legs and that feeling was not only felt by the fans but also SMACKDOWN! General Manager Teddy Long. Much to the dismay of MNM the match was made but it came with a catch. This would be the final meeting between MNM and LOD. The WWE Tag Team Titles would be on the line and whichever team lost they would be forced to disband forever. That news pleased Nitro and Mercury even less; MNM threatening to jump ship to Monday Night RAW if Teddy Long didn’t change his mind. These threats appeared to be a mere distraction from their ultimate goal; MNM would attack Road Warrior Animal in the parking lot during an episode of SMACKDOWN!, injuring his leg, and subsequently giving themselves an advantage ahead of this life changing match.

​Tag Team Match: The Hooligans versus William Regal & Paul Burchill
    The final match at Armageddon would see the Hooligans, Paul London and Brian Kendrick, collide with the all British tag team of William Regal and Paul Burchill. The latter had come together recently due to the fact they shared British roots. Regal had taken Burchill under his wing to show his fellow countrymen the ways of the WWE and a path to success. This may seem very kind hearted of the sinister William Regal we have all come to know but fear not; he’s still the same vicious brawler he has always been. Regal’s motivations were far more devious than they appeared on the surface. His mentorship of Burchill wasn’t for Burchill benefit but more so to stop the youngster from giving the motherland a bad name. Yes, Regal refused to allow Burchill to embarrass England by coming up short in the WWE. The harsh teaching style of Regal was not overlooked by those in the WWE and it drew the attention of London and Kendrick. Two high flyers in their own right, the Hooligans live a carefree lifestyle and seek the most fun and exciting experiences possible. A stark contrast to what William Regal was offering. Between Survivor Series and Armageddon, the Hooligans would offer Burchill the chance to ditch Regal and come enjoy life, offering him fun rather than the grim reality Regal was pitching. A decision was made two weeks later, Burchill slamming a steel chair into the back of Paul London – siding with Regal and taking up a similar vicious nature to himself as his mentor. A tag match was signed thereafter; the Hooligans versus William Regal and Paul Burchill.

Official Card for Armageddon:
    18/12/2005 | Providence, Rhode Island

World Heavyweight Championship Match:
    Batista [c] vs. Bobby Lashley vs. Rey Mysterio vs. John ‘Bradshaw’ Layfield

WWE United States Championship Match:
    Booker T vs. Matt Hardy

Hell in a Cell:
    ~ Winner Challenges for the World Title at the Royal Rumble ~
    The Undertaker vs. Randy Orton

WWE Tag Team Championship Match:
    ~ Losing Team Disbands ~
    MNM [c] vs. Legion of Doom

WWE Cruiserweight Championship Match:
    Juventud [c] vs. Simon Dean

Singles Match:
    Hardcore Holly vs. Mark Henry

Singles Match:

Ken Kennedy vs. The Boogeyman

Tag Team Match:

The Hooligans vs. William Regal & Paul Burchill

If anybody wants to leave predictions feel free!

Shoulder To Shoulder

Status

This is tougher to predict than I thought it might be initially, due to the injury of Batista. Looks like a monster push is in store for Lashley, and I can get on board with that, but it still feels way too soon to put the belt on him. I think he looks beastly here and loses without taking the fall. From the recap, it seems like Rey and JBL could be veering off into a feud of their own, so the champion retains, albeit despite his ongoing problems with injury. BATISTA pins JBL.

Booker T vs. Matt Hardy
    The build up for this looked fun. Felt very like a ‘King’ Booker segment with the ridiculous celebration for a title he hadn’t officially won yet. Matt get slotted into the title picture is fine with me, he can still be saved from obscurity here after losing the Edge feud earlier in the year. To do that though, I think he needs to win the title, either here or down the road, otherwise Matt really ends up looking like a loser. I’m picking BOOKER T to win this, but I could easily see Matt pulling off the upset to infuriate Book, robbing him of what he believed he should’ve already had. Either way, I think this rivalry will only be getting started.

Hell in a Cell:

Interesting. I think sticking with the HIAC blow off is a good idea, as that felt like the natural conclusion. Again, I can see a case for both guys, and with a title shot hanging in the balance, you’ll have a big time title match set for the Rumble. Because it’s The Undertaker though, and because I think you’ll try and avoid a big Batista/Taker program that ended up happening for real a year later, I’ll say THE UNDERTAKER beats Orton, and moves on to a showdown with Batista at the Rumble, getting that match out of the way.

~ Losing Team Disbands ~
    Looks like a perfect set up to split the bootleg LOD. The tag division is paper thin, and MNM are one of the only good things about it right now. With the threat of jumping to Raw, I could still see that happening – to an extent – with MNM winning here but then still showing up on Raw, ending up with Teddy fighting to get them back on Smackdown for a breach of contract. Could well end up merging the tag titles, which might be a good idea given the paucity of options at your disposal.

Well … it was a fun read anyway. Feels a little comedic for a title program, but I liked it. Seeing some focus on Simon Dean is different, and I dug the whole ‘weight cutting’ angle, which at least gave the angle some legitimacy, whilst it also plays into Dean’s gimmick of the fitness guy. I’ll go for the title switch here, with SIMON DEAN winning the belt. Something different.

Singles Match:
    I’ll not spend much time on this. MARK HENRY wins for obvious reasons.

Singles Match:

Feels like a demotion for Kennedy, who had been pretty hot before this, beating a bunch of former world champions. Again, there’s an air of comedy to this that I don't know fits with where Kennedy should be. KEN KENNEDY surely wins here, right?

Tag Team Match:

I’d expect The Hooligans to win, setting themselves up as challengers for MNM, but I’ll go for the Brits, off the fact that they feel like a bigger deal right now, being the newer, fresher team. WILLIAM REGAL & PAUL BURCHILL win in pretty brutal fashion I’d imagine.

The big three matches all look decent, while the tag title is what it is and the CW title match could be potentially decent. Those last three matches do feel pretty much thrown together, which I guess is understandable as you’re coming in from your jumping on point. Probably the good thing about setting the stage like this is not having to book 3-4 weeks of a Kennedy/Boogeyman feud in full.

Charismatic Enigma

Status

Predictions for Armageddon:

Batista [c]
    vs. Bobby Lashley vs. Rey Mysterio vs. John ‘Bradshaw’ Layfield

The only other person I can think of that could win besides Batista is Bobby Lashley. Lashley seemed to have a good build into this match having him look like a legitimate challenger, but I'm not sure if he is ready for the gold yet. I would like to see him and Batista continue on the feud at some point while Mysterio and JBL move into their own program.

Booker T
    vs. Matt Hardy

Personally, I'd like to see Matt Hardy come away with the win, but I think a lot more can be done if Booker wins the championship.

Hell in a Cell:
    The Undertaker
    vs. Randy Orton

This feud is really one of my favorites from this era, and Hell in a Cell is the best way to end it. With Orton attacking Undertaker on Smackdown, this has potential to add more viciousness and "anything to win" attitude to Randy. I do think Batista and Undertaker is your money match which would be perfect for Royal Rumble.

~ Losing Team Disbands ~
    MNM [c]
    vs. Legion of Doom

MNM is full of great characters and future stars that really make this era of Smackdown IMO. LOD never did much for me and with Animal's leg injury - MNM needs to win and stay together.

Simon Dean has a fantastic character, the Simon System being noted as the reason for him making weight is a nice addition to legitimatize the feud. I think him as Cruiserweight Champion is not something many would think of.

Singles Match:

Feels obvious.

Singles Match:
    Ken Kennedy
    vs. The Boogeyman

While Boogeyman is more new than Ken, I think Boogeyman can take a loss and still get reactions from the crowd while Kennedy gets another big victory.

Tag Team Match:

Like Wolf Beast, I see The Hooligans becoming challengers for MNM. Regal & Burchill is a new team though, and unlike Boogeyman I think they would suffer with the loss.
    Last edited by Rasky; 10-17-2018 at 07:28 PM. Reason: didn't put a winner for hooligans match :(

Drink It In Maaan!

Status

Booker T vs. Matt Hardy

Hell in a Cell:

~ Losing Team Disbands ~

Singles Match:

Singles Match:

Tag Team Match:

BACK ON TOP

Status

Booker T vs. Matt Hardy

Hell in a Cell:

~ Losing Team Disbands ~

Singles Match:

Singles Match:

Tag Team Match:

Chikara Trainee

Status

Booker T vs. Matt Hardy

Hell in a Cell:

~ Losing Team Disbands ~

Singles Match:

Singles Match:

Tag Team Match:

Best of luck my man! I know you'll do great things with this booker and it's off to a really good start.

Maple Leaf Muscle

Status
      Country                    Canada

Booker T vs. Matt Hardy

Hell in a Cell:

~ Losing Team Disbands ~

Singles Match:

Singles Match:

Tag Team Match:

White Iverson

Status

Official Armageddon Results
    Providence, Rhode Island
    December 18th, 2005

In the first match of the night, Booker T and Matt Hardy battled for the vacant WWE United States Championship. The title being vacant since the release of Chris Benoit following Survivor Series. It was a hot start for the pay-per-view with both competitors working very hard to get the crowd excited. The opening moments saw Matt Hardy trying to keep an eye on Sharmell on the outside of the ring. This played off the story in the previous weeks where Booker and his wife had used their numbers advantage to get the best of the former tag team specialist. As you would expect, Hardy faced an uphill battle trying to wrestle a World Champion level talent like Booker T and at the same time keep a watchful eye on Sharmell. The conclusion of the match saw Booker T remove a turnbuckle pad from the corner, drawing the attention of the referee, and allowing Sharmell to toss her husband the championship belt at ringside. Booker would load up a shot with the foreign object but Hardy was able to counter, ducking the strike, and follow up with a Twist of Fate. After thirteen minutes Matt Hardy would score the three count and win the WWE United States Title. Post-match, Hardy celebrated with the fans before making his way up the entrance ramp – proudly holding the title above his head and waging a finger towards Booker T.

The next match on the card saw Ken Kennedy take on the Boogeyman. Kennedy made his entrance to the ring and called for a microphone to be lowered from the ceiling. His usual theatrics were cut short when the spotlight that was shining down on him turned red, the arena filling with smoke and the haunting music of the Boogeyman began to echo throughout the building. The match went about eight minutes and was far from the most exciting bout of the night with both men being limited in the ring. Kennedy would pick up the victory after hitting the Green Bay Plunge from the second rope. Post-match, Kennedy called from the microphone again, standing over the body of the Boogeyman, and proclaimed himself the fastest rising star on SMACKDOWN! and as a future champion in the WWE.

Speaking of champions, the third match on the card saw MNM defend the WWE Tag Team Championships against the Legion of Doom. Road Warrior Animal sold the injury he sustained from MNM in the build to Armageddon throughout the contest. His in-ring work was very limited both due to storyline and Animal’s physical limitations. In the end, MNM would secure the victory and retain the titles after the Snapshot on Road Warrior Animal at 10:04. With this victory it means that the Legion of Doom must disband forever. It is rumoured that Road Warrior Animal’s contract is up within the next week and he will not be renewed. WWE is also considering letting Heidenreich out of his contract early; the latter voicing his displeasure with the current direction of his character over the past few months since losing the title belts.

Up next was the WWE Cruiserweight Championship match between Juventud and Simon Dean. The Mexicools were not at ringside for this contest, Juventud making his entrance with them but eventually sending them to the back so he could face Simon Dean one on one. Unfortunately, it would appear that the challenger had no intention of playing by those same rules. Juventud and Dean traded near falls in a fast-paced contest. Dean would go on the run a few minutes in, forcing Juventud to chase him, allowing Dean to throw the champion into the ring steps on the outside. That would give Dean the opening to take control for a good portion of the contest until Juventud began to fight back. The finish of the match came after Dean claimed he was poked in the eye. The referee would check him, at which point Sylvan rushed down to the ring and hit the Show-Off (Wrist-lock transitioned into a flowing DDT) on Juventud behind the referee’s back. Immediately following, Simon Dean would scurry into the cover and score the three count at 09:46 to win the WWE Cruiserweight Championship with a surprise assist. Dean and Sylvan would leave together, Dean patting the muscle-bound specimen on the back and could be heard telling him, “I told you the system would work!”

In the fifth match on the pay-per-view, the Hooligans took on William Regal and Paul Burchill in tag team action. The match started off quickly with London and Kendrick executing quick tags to each other and spamming high flying moves. Eventually, Regal and Burchill would ground the high-flying team and use their brawler tactics to weaken the young guns. Regal was especially vicious tonight, raking at the eyes of Paul London in an attempt to blind the man whilst laughing in his face. Back and forth they went until Kendrick hit Regal with Sliced Beard #2 and Paul London finished it off with a 450 Splash for the three count at 11:01. On commentary, Michael Cole made it clear that he suspects that the Hooligans are now the clear number one contenders for the WWE Tag Team Titles and the next challengers for MNM.

An argument can be made that this show was sold on two matches. One of them was The Undertaker versus Randy Orton inside Hell in a Cell. That was next on the card and drew a huge response from the audience throughout its duration. By far the longest match of the evening breaking 25 minutes in total length. As has been the status quo recently, Randy Orton was joined by his father ‘Cowboy’ Bob Orton. It should be noted that this was the final night that Bob Orton will be appearing on television with his son due to the conclusion of the Orton/Undertaker storyline. The match went back and forth, both men using the cell to inflict damage upon the other. Orton was the first to blade and did so that his face was completely covered for the rest of the night. After a steel chair shot on the outside of the ring, The Undertaker would begin to bleed as both men continued to beat the living hell out of each other. They teased exiting the cell; Orton threatening the referee for the key and almost escaping but he was pulled back by The Undertaker. The near falls towards the end of the match received major reactions from the crowd including; Orton hitting the RKO on the concrete having pulled up the mats on the outside of the ring, Undertaker hitting a Last Ride through a table, Orton hitting a Tombstone of his own on The Undertaker and Taker nailing a chokeslam onto the steel steps inside the ring. The final pinfall came when The Undertaker hit a jumping Tombstone to Randy Orton, scoring the three count and booking himself a match with the World Champion at the Royal Rumble.

In one of the smartest moves on the night, Mark Henry versus Hardcore Holly was positioned as a buffer between the two biggest matches on the card. The crowd was exhausted after the long battle between The Undertaker and Randy Orton. As a seventh match on the card it was relatively quick and one sided. Holly came out of the gate hard with chops and the stiffest strikes possible in an attempt to knock the big man off his feet. Henry was quick to no-sell and clobbered Hardcore Holly with a lariat. A few minutes of dominance followed for Henry until he hit the World’s Strongest Slam and took home yet another win after only four minutes.

Finally, it was time for the main event of the evening. The champion was the walking wounded as he has been for the past month with heavy strapping around the shoulder. After big match introductions, the bell sounded and the action was underway, JBL targeting Batista’s injury whilst Lashley and Mysterio come to blows. Layfield fought with underhanded tactics all night long and none was more obvious than his tussle with Batista and his decision to rip the protecting bandages off the shoulder of the World Champion. Lashley and Mysterio squared off in a David versus Goliath battle. Mysterio using his speed to keep the younger on his toes and guessing what was coming next. As the match progressed, Batista would dig deep and send Layfield to the outside; Lashley would floor Mysterio for the time being and that would allow for the highly anticipated showdown between Batista and Lashley. The crowd went crazy as Batista stood in the ring, his eyes locked on Lashley as he slowly entered the ring, both men larger than life, inching towards each other.

They would go forehead to forehead, the crowd standing, before trading punches. Lashley got the best of the first interaction and took control of the contest. The match spanned 18:02 and had numerous highlights including; a double 619 to JBL and Lashley, Batista hitting a Spinebuster on Lashley as payback for earlier, JBL using a steel chair on Rey Mysterio on the outside of the ring and Lashley spearing JBL when he was attempting to hit a Clothesline from Hell to Batista. The finish came after Lashley speared JBL mid-finisher, whilst a good move on the surface it saved Batista and allowed the World Champion to catch Lashley with clothesline over the top rope. Batista would pick JBL up and connect with the Batista Bomb for the three count to retain the World Heavyweight Championship. Post-match, Batista could barely raise his right arm in the air due to his reoccurring injuries. As he exited the ring, Batista was met by Bobby Lashley – the younger eyeing the champion for a moment before extending his hand. A true sign of respect, Batista accepted and Lashley told him that he’d be back and next time he’d take the title.

Since this thread is officially starting the night after New Year’s Revolution it leaves a few weeks of time that I won’t be writing SMACKDOWN! and that wasn’t included in the build to this pay-per-view. What I’m going to do is note all the major dealings that you need to be aware of for the blue brand. It's all super quick stuff so no major details as anything that's important to the overall story I can include in the three weeks of full shows before the Royal Rumble.

~ The Aftermath ~

~ Sylvan and Simon Dean officially made an alliance. Dean cited his Simon System as a key factor in Sylvan’s picture perfect physical condition and that Sylvan’s devotion to the Simon System made him feel compelled to assist Dean at Armageddon.

~ Batista and The Undertaker were kept away from each other immediately following Armageddon. Batista was given two weeks off by Teddy Long as a way to recover from his nagging injuries.

~ Bobby Lashley and Mark Henry would begin a rivalry after Armageddon as Henry claimed he was sick of being passed over for young guys like Lashley. The feud intensified after Henry badly assaulted two local talents on the final edition of SMACKDOWN! in 2005; Bobby Lashley would rush down to the ring and run Henry away from the two men. Lashley grabbed a microphone and challenged Henry to pick on someone his own size.

~ Road Warrior Animal’s contract was not renewed and Heidenreich was released from his WWE contract.

~ In a trade between brands, Orlando Jordan was sent to RAW for Eugene who will have his SMACKDOWN! debut on January 13th.

~ Ken Kennedy would defeat Rey Mysterio in a singles match thanks to JBL’s outside interference. The following week, Mysterio and Layfield wrestled in a No DQ match where the luchador emerged victorious.

~ Vince McMahon would announce on SMACKDOWN!, a rare visit these days, that as a result of winning the Traditional Survivor Series Tag Team Match, he had decided to award the brand the #30 spot in the Royal Rumble whilst RAW would have #1.

~ Matt Hardy and Booker T would wrestle a rematch from Armageddon. Once again, Matt Hardy defeated Booker T and retained the WWE United States Championship. Following the match, Ken Kennedy appeared at the top of the ramp and delivered a slow unimpressed clap to the champion.

~ MNM and the Hooligans would compete in singles matches against each other. Melina attempting to lure Paul London with her womanly ways over the two-week span. The champions were attempting to create a rift between their future challengers however, at this point, it seems that the Hooligans can see right through MNM’s games.
    Last edited by EZ3; 10-19-2018 at 10:57 PM.

BACK ON TOP

Status

Standard fare for your Armageddon results. Nearly was perfect on my predictions! 'Taker winning the HIAC match was to be expected I suppose, although I think giving Orton that win wouldn't have hurt him or 'Taker, obviously.

I am interested, in a way, in the Simon Dean/Sylvan pairing, and think the way you had them unite made a lot of sense. Lashley and Henry feuding with each other should be fun. Always fun to have two hosses against one another. I think the trade-off between OJ and Eugene is whatever and, mostly, inconsequential. Kennedy being next in line for the US Title only makes sense here and I think him and Hardy could have a fun feud.

I REALLY like that you gave the Survivor Series win some meaning for the brand so they could get the 30th entrant in the Rumble. Like, REALLY like it. The two brands had their warfare versus one another and it only makes sense that you should have something on the line there. Just a really little thing I think made this so much better.

Looking forward to seeing the road to NYR!

Backyarder

Status

Hey, I'll be keeping an eye on this as I too am considering a thread in this era, so it's interesting to see how you're booking things in comparison.

I agree 100% on the Benoit thing, I don't like it when bookers continue to use him in a thread, and I like that you've given Matt Hardy a push as a result of it. Matt is someone who at this time could've been used better on SmackDown in my opinion, especially in the absence of Benoit in this thread, and with guys like The Boogeyman getting a push in real life.
    It was only a matter of time before Hardy got into a feud with Ken Kennedy, and I expect sooner than later Kennedy will take the championship and continue his upward climb.

I'm assuming that you're going to keep using Batista which is fair enough, unless you have plans for him to drop the World Heavyweight Championship at The Royal Rumble to The Undertaker? I'm not too sure on that one, but in any case, if you're headed for the plan of Batista vs. Orton at WrestleMania it'll be a challenge for you to book in my humble opinion, as many bookers have been there and done that before. However, I'm not too sure that's the case because if you are, Orton shouldn't have lost to Undertaker at the Hell in a Cell.

Kudos for the pairing of Sylvan and Simon Dean; it makes perfect sense and in this time, WWE was in desperate need of some decent tag teams as opposed to The Dicks and The Heart Throbs.
    I expect if The Hooligans take the Tag titles, they'll have some decent competition in Sylvan and Dean and Burchill and Regal. Speaking of which...are we going to see that awesome Captain Paul Burchill gimmick?

That's all for now.

Shoulder To Shoulder

Status

Going to say it again, but I really like this thread title. Stands out every time I see it.

Anyway, while this is a really minor point considering, I didn’t like the PPV results being listed as coming from the Observer. For starters; Fuck Dave Meltzer. No star ratings either, or scything criticisms of the talent.

Moving on to the actual content. Pretty standard set of results overall. Matt winning the U.S Title was a big win for him. Either way you went here would’ve been fine, but given the direction on TV in the aftermath of this, Matt vs Kennedy going forward could be an excellent program for the title.

I was a bit critical of Kennedy being booked with Boogeyman, but for the red light stuff during microphone spot alone, this was worth doing. That would’ve been awesome to see. Right man won, and I don't know if there’s much point in keeping Boogeyman around, unless there’s a comedy angle he can be part of.

Hooligans beating the Brits was a surprise, even though it made sense seeing that MNM are in need of challengers, and thankfully the ‘new’ LOD is being laid to rest. MNM and the Hooligans had some cracking matches in real life, and from the recap of what’s gone down on Smackdown since this show, it looks like there could be a decent story being worked into it too, which is what the feud was lacking in real life. Interested in this one moving forward.

Simon Dean teaming up with Sylvan sounds tremendous. Without making this about myself, I remember doing a short lived tag team years ago with Dean and Chris Masters, with Masters being a Simon System client that lost a few hundred pounds to get in the shape he was. I regret not running with that for longer. Safe to say I’ll be following the progress of these two closely, as there’s a lot of potential for fun and games here, and it makes use of two guys that were pretty much doing nothing around this time. Love seeing underutilised people getting some direction in projects like this. Hoping for a cool team name here too.

Hell in a Cell sounded as brutal as you’d expect. The RKO on the exposed concrete stood out to me. Taker winning to end the feud was the right move in the end imo. As I said in my previous post, it gives you a big time match for the Rumble, and a chance to play with the Batista/Taker dynamic without having to do a full blown feud. Should be an excellent title match as a pre-cursor for the Rumble match.

Rightfully, Mark Henry dominated Hardcore Holly. Him being Lashley’s first real feud is interesting. I’m looking forward to that hoss battle in the coming weeks and months for sure.

And speaking of Lashley, he definitely got a lot of shine and spotlight in the main event. I envisage him being a major ‘pet project’ in this thread if the first few posts are anything to go by. Looked dominant in this match it appears, and the tease of him vs Batista is certainly intriguing. May be too soon for him to step up to the plate at WrestleMania, but I’m not ruling it out just yet. JBL taking the fall was the right move too, imo. He’s already had his run at the top with Batista, at least with Rey and Lashley there’s potential future clashes to look forward too.

Excited to see what’s been happening over on Raw now.

White Iverson

Status

- SUMMARY TWO -

Survivor Series – New Year's Revolution
    November 27, 2005 – January 8, 2006

The flagship brand of World Wrestling Entertainment had little to be thankful for following Survivor Series. They say bad things come in threes and there was no doubt that Monday Night RAW had been handed a trio of punishment. Firstly, Eric Bischoff was beaten by Theodore Long in a battle of General Managers. Then, John Cena and Kurt Angle had a match which was universally panned for being overcomplicated. Finally, Team RAW lost in the main event of the show and as was announced on SMACKDOWN! towards the end of December, that means RAW is stuck with the #1 pick in the Royal Rumble. The defeat of RAW meant one thing was certain… change. The biggest change of all was the consistent appearance of Mr. McMahon on the red brand. His watchful eye on the product alongside Eric Bischoff however his presence wasn’t only to whip RAW back into shape following their defeat. No. Vincent Kennedy McMahon had another target in mind, a target that had been itching at his ego since WWE Homecoming, and it was finally time to strike.

WWE Championship: John Cena [c] defends against Shawn Michaels
    With both negative fan and critical reaction to the match at Survivor Series, WWE would move away from the long-standing Cena versus Angle program which had run its course. A new storyline would emerge involving the reigning WWE Champion after Survivor Series where he was approached by Mr. McMahon on an episode of RAW. Vince would explain to Cena that he had a long history of either good relationships, or on a rare occasion, a bad relationship with WWE Champions in the past. McMahon would praise Cena as being the ‘right guy’ to be WWE Champion so long as he did the ‘right things’ when asked by the ‘right people’ and that doing so would be highly appreciated. It was harmless enough in the beginning with Cena stating that he runs to his own tune, he holds the belt for the people, not for a corporate body. Over the next few weeks, Mr McMahon’s conversations with Cena would intensify. The looming issue, the dark cloud over all of this talk, was that Shawn Michaels had won a Beat the Clock Sprint set up by Eric Bischoff two weeks after Survivor Series. Shawn Michaels was the number one contender to the WWE Championship having narrowly beaten Triple H’s time of 6:03 by two seconds.

McMahon’s hatred of Shawn Michaels had been brewing since WWE Homecoming when the Heartbreak Kid had the nerve to suggest that Bret Hart belonged in the WWE Hall of Fame. Ever since that fateful night the McMahon’s had been out to get HBK. Up until this point he was merely a pest, an old veteran pretending he still had it in the background of a larger show, but since he had become the number one contender it meant that Mr. McMahon had to act before HBK did the unthinkable and won the top title again. The build to New Year’s Revolution revolved around one key question; would John Cena side with Vince McMahon and cheat to beat Shawn Michaels? Nobody doubted that Cena could get the best of Mr. WrestleMania. That wasn’t the question. See, while everyone knew Cena could beat Shawn Michaels, there was an equal chance that Shawn Michaels would beat John Cena.

What Vince McMahon was offering was certainty. Side with me and you’ll be guaranteed to walk out of New Year’s Revolution as the WWE Champion. That was the offer. In response, Cena maintained that he did things for the love of the game and not for the money or the titles. He was proud to be champion but the joy he got wasn’t from having the belt it was the journey of getting it and the battles he put on to keep it. Taking the easy way out wasn’t something he wanted to do – Cena maintained this line of thinking every single week no matter how hard Vince and now Shane McMahon pushed back against it. On the other side, Shawn Michaels pushed Cena’s buttons like only the Heartbreak Kid could do. In a back and forth promo situation on RAW, Michaels taunted Cena’s belief that he could beat HBK. Insisting that Cena take Vince up on the offer because there was no way that Cena was going to be able to out wrestle Shawn on a pay-per-view. Michaels was critical of Cena’s wrestling ability, calling him more thug than wrestler, more amateur than professional and more lucky than skilled.

Nevertheless, Cena and Michaels would trade barbs with each other leading into New Year’s Revolution. Michaels in interviews would maintain that Cena would be an idiot not to take up McMahon’s offer. When asked if Michaels would’ve taken a deal like that back in the day he replied, “I wouldn’t need to. I’m Shawn Michaels.” Cena’s refusal to give Vince McMahon the answer he wanted leading into New Year’s Revolution drew hostility between the Owner of the WWE and the WWE Champion. On the final edition of RAW, Cena and Mr. McMahon would meet backstage, Cena holding firm that he’d do the ‘right thing’ for himself on Sunday. McMahon looked Cena right in the eyes and told him that the ‘right thing’ will happen – with or without Cena’s cooperation.

WWE Intercontinental Championship: Gregory Helms [c] defends against Rob Van Dam
    It has been a wild ride for the WWE Intercontinental Championship over the past two months with a title change, a new top bad guy of the division and a superstar return. It all started the night after Survivor Series when reigning champion Ric Flair was put in a match by Eric Bischoff. The problem was that Flair had been beaten so badly he spent the night in hospital following his war with Triple H. He could barely walk to the ring let alone compete in a match. What made things worse was that the match was for the WWE Intercontinental Championship. Yes, Ric Flair was forced to defend his title the night after a Last Man Standing Match. Many tied it to Bischoff and Flair never getting along dating back to their WCW days. Regardless, Flair dropped the title to newly heel Gregory Helms in a match that went under five minutes.

Helms went on the attack immediately and wasted no time in putting Flair down with the Shining Wizard. Having turned his back on former teammate Rosey, losing the mask and cape for the Hurricane persona, Helms spent the next week gloating about owning a victory of the ‘Nature Boy’ Ric Flair. Many in the WWE locker-room were disgusted with the way that Helms spoke about his title victory – citing that Helms wasn’t half the wrestler Flair is and if it had been a healthy champion than the former superhero wouldn’t have stood a chance. That thinking only lead to Helms cutting scathing promos on the WWE locker-room about being disrespected and claiming that this type of dismissal was the exact reason he had to throw about the Hurricane crap.

Helms would famously host segment in the parking lot of the arena where he burned his cape, mask and Hurricane attire – daring anybody who doubts him to step up. The following week, Rob Van Dam would return from injury and accept. RVD echoed the thoughts of many in the WWE locker-room and the fans; they didn’t respect Helms as a champion nor the way he had won the title from Ric Flair. Helms said he didn’t respect Van Dam’s belief that he could waltz back into the WWE after his injury and get to the front of the line. Nevertheless, Helms versus RVD would be signed for New Year’s Revolution after Van Dam pinned Helms in tag team action.

WWE Women’s Championship: Trish Stratus [c] defends against Ashley Massaro
    Fandom is a strange thing. The tipping point between healthy and unhealthy is often a very thin line. That was no more on show than the relationship between Trish Stratus and her biggest fan Mickie James. The long-time reigning Women’s Champion had once again successfully defended her title belt and after Survivor Series needed a new challenger for New Year’s Revolution. As a result, Eric Bischoff booked a battle royal consisting of all the potential challengers including Mickie James, Victoria, Lita and eventual winner Ashley Massaro. By no means was the match a great wrestling exercise but the storyline behind it made up any physical limitations. Heading into the contest, Mickie James made it clear to her idol that she’d love nothing more than for the two of them to have a match on pay-per-view for the Women’s Title. Mickie was certain she’d win. There was no doubt.

And she was close. Mickie James came second after she threw Victoria over the top rope. She jumped around the ring and raised her arms in victory thinking she’d won the date… I mean match… with Trish Stratus. Unfortunately, Ashley Massaro had been knocked to the floor and to the outside of the ring earlier in the match but was never eliminated. Massaro would return to the ring, surprising James, and throw her over the top rope for the win. The defeat would drive Mickie James to violence as she tore up ringside, ripping the announce desk to pieces and screaming at the top of her lungs. Massaro would become a target of Mickie’s in the weeks leading up to the title match; James assaulted Massaro during her matches causing no contest rulings repeatedly. Trish Stratus would step in and tell Mickie James that this wasn’t what she wanted – Mickie saying she was doing it for Trish since Ashley screwed everything up. It was supposed to be Trish and Mickie NOT Trish and Ashley.

Stratus would tell Mickie that she was not to get involved anymore with Ashley. A telling moment came when Trish and Ashley signed the contract on RAW. They would square off in the ring, Stratus raising the title up in the air while Ashley was inches away from her. The camera cut backstage, Mickie James was watching, visibly shaking, as Trish wished Ashley luck and patted her on the shoulder. Later in the night, Mickie would run down to the ring during Ashley’s match and prepare to assault her again; only this time Mickie stopped her and walked away – adhering to the words of her idol.

World Tag Team Championships: Kane & Big Show [c] defend against World’s Greatest Tag Team
    In a much-needed boost to the RAW tag division we saw Charlie Haas made his return to the WWE and joined forces with Shelton Benjamin to reform the World’s Greatest Tag Team. They immediately made a splash onto the tag scene with wins over Cade & Murdoch and The Heart Throbs. This put them into position to meet up with the reigning champions, Kane & Big Show. The two veterans of the game had dominated the tag division since winning the titles and were seemingly an unstoppable pair. Prior to Survivor Series they had successfully weakened World Champion Batista to the point where he was eliminated very early on in the main event of the PPV. In the build to New Year’s Revolution, WGTT embraced the fans far more than they had at any point in their careers.

Shelton was a well-liked fan favourite with impressive performances throughout the past year. Haas hadn’t had as much luck during his singles run but together they were primed for another run with the tag titles. Shelton and Haas wrestled a fast style using their athletic abilities to their advantage over their much slower adversaries. In one on one competition, Shelton was able to beat Big Show whilst Kane claimed Haas as a victim of defeat. The styles were total opposites and that made the match between these two teams so unpredictable. Kane & Big Show were by no means heels either in this situation. Both teams were being cheered in the build. People loved to see Kane and Big Show smash things and they also got excited when Shelton was launched into the air by Haas for a spectacular move. It was a big-time tag match for RAW and one that would shape the division going forward.

Last Time Ever: Triple H versus Mick Foley
    Few men were as hated coming out of Survivor Series as Triple H was by both the fans and the locker-room. Triple H had dismantled a legend in Ric Flair for no reason other than his own ego. The way Triple H had used the sledgehammer on his former mentor really caused people to turn against ‘The Game’ and even long-time supporters like Jerry Lawler found it hard to offer support. During an episode of RAW where Hunter was arguing his case for why he should be inserted into the WWE Championship match at New Year’s Revolution, he was interrupted by Mick Foley. This was by no means the first time these two men had shared the ring and that was a fact Mick was quick to bring up. He said he fought the very best Triple H, a man in his prime, a man who would do anything to get to the top… but what Triple H had done to Ric Flair wasn’t about climbing the ladder of success, it was all about an ego problem.

Hunter would dismiss Foley as a washed-up old man who had no place being in the ring anymore. This was Monday Night RAW, it was Hunter’s time to talk and Foley had overstayed his welcome in the WWE for far too long now. In response, Foley would use Mr. Socko on Triple H, forcing Hunter out of the ring and up the ramp in retreat. Over the next few weeks they’d cut promos on each other and the classic battles. Foley talking about how he had helped turn Triple H into the vicious son of a bitch he was now. He had shown Triple H the darkest corners of his own mind and because of that Ric Flair had been bloodied, many had suffered at the hands of ‘The Game’ and it could all be tied back to the wars Foley had been through with Triple H.

A highlight of the build was Triple H and Foley’s in-ring back and forth on RAW two weeks out from New Year’s Revolution. During the build Foley consistently said Hunter’s ego drove him to destroy Ric Flair. Hunter would reply that Foley’s ego was the reason that the Foley was standing across from him now. Demanding that Foley admit the truth; Hunter shouted that Foley didn’t give a crap about Flair or anybody else Hunter had hurt. This was all about Foley wanting one last ride, one last match, a final shot at the big time, and in the end, it was all about Mick Foley. Foley denied it; he said that what he saw at Survivor Series made him sick, it made him regret ever stepping into the ring with Triple H because deep down he knew, Foley knew that the wars with Cactus Jack had released that darkness inside Triple H. Now it was time for Foley to put that darkness back where it belongs.

Singles Match: Kurt Angle versus Ric Flair
    Both men were coming off defeats at Survivor Series and heading into the New Year needed some direction. Angle and his manager, Daivari, would part ways allowing Daivari to seek another client to represent. With the absence of a manager, Angle went on a spree of absolute destruction where he throttled his opponents in the ring and beat them senseless. His attacks would continue even after he got the submission or pinfall. Kurt Angle was furious that he had failed to win the WWE Championship and was taking all his problems out on the rest of the roster. Meanwhile, Ric Flair spent a few weeks on the sideline to recover from his loss at Survivor Series and the loss of the WWE Intercontinental Championship.

Angle and Flair would collide on an episode of RAW when Todd Grisham was interviewing the Olympic Gold Medallist backstage. The interview was going fine, Angle drawing heat from the crowd as he ran down their local sports team, until off to the side, Ric Flair made his way into the arena. This caused Grisham, ever the journalist looking for the exclusive, to cut his interview with Angle short and rush over to the ‘Nature Boy’ for his first comment since losing the Intercontinental Championship. Flair was set to compete in a match against Chris Master that evening. During that match, Kurt Angle made his way down to the ring and jumped Flair from behind, allowing Master to score a count-out victory.

The beatdown would continue as Angle applied the Ankle Lock and mocked Flair with a strut afterwards. In the following weeks, Flair would cut a passionate promo about people thinking he was dead. He is very much alive and is ready to kick Kurt Angle’s ass at New Year’s Revolution. He would tell the doubters that to question him is to question the greatest wrestler that ever lived. The people ate it up; nobody wants to believe that Flair is a sad pathetic old man. Well, everyone except Kurt Angle. He would mock Flair’s entrance with a custom robe of his own and a wig, wrestling Flair’s style against a jobber and winning with the Figure Four – showing that he could do what Flair does… only better.

Tag Team Turmoil: Cade & Murdoch versus V-Squared versus Heart Throbs versus Gene Snitsky & Tyson Tomko
    The RAW tag division would be on show at New Year’s Revolution as every team available joins a tag team turmoil match to decide the next set of challengers for the belts after the PPV. The build was simple for the most part with each team wrestling a variety of singles matches against combatants made up of members from opposing teams. Cade & Murdoch were standouts during the build not dropping a single match to any of the other teams. The Heart Throbs weren’t as lucky as they were often the target of jokes from commentator Jerry Lawler. Snitsky and Tomko proved to be an intimidating presence over the match with the two powerhouse competitors having good showings against a variety of opponents. They would also pick up a manager in the process of the build with Daivari joining them after his exit from associating with Kurt Angle. Under the guidance of Daivari, the team would head into the match as favourites.

Singles Match: Matt Striker versus Tajiri
    It was a simple build for this match which will serve for the undercard. Matt Striker is the bossy teacher from your high school that nobody liked. In backstage segments during the build to New Year’s Revolution, Striker would ridicule Tajiri for being an idiot and not understanding anything. Striker pointed to Tajiri’s use of the green mist as barbaric and claimed that spitting is something even the rottenest child doesn’t do as often as Tajiri. During an in-ring segment, Striker attempted to educate Tajiri on how to be a gentleman but Tajiri instead spent the time playing to the crowd when Striker would turn to write on his blackboard. An argument would erupt as Striker shouted at Tajiri that he will not be disrespected in his classroom to which Tajiri replied by spitting green mist into the eyes of Striker! Striker would collapse and shriek in disgust as the mist covered his entire face and entered his mouth. The following week, Striker announced that he’d been granted a match with Tajiri – calling him the most disrespectful and ignorant student he had ever had the displeasure of teaching.

Official Card for New Year’s Revolution
    08/01/2006 | Albany, New York

WWE Championship Match:
    John Cena [c] vs. Shawn Michaels

WWE Intercontinental Championship Match:
    Gregory Helms [c] vs. Rob Van Dam

Women’s Championship Match:
    Trish Stratus [c] vs. Ashley Massaro

World Tag Team Championship Match:
    Kane & Big Show [c] vs. World’s Greatest Tag Team

Last Time Ever:
    Triple H vs. Mick Foley

Singles Match:
    Kurt Angle vs. Ric Flair

Tag Team Turmoil:
    ~ Winners receive a World Tag Team Title opportunity ~
    V-Squared vs. Heart Throbs vs. Cade & Murdoch vs. Gene Snitsky & Tyson Tomko

Singles Match:
    Matt Striker vs. Tajiri

Predictions are welcome once again!

Thread Information