Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moral Issues with WWE Crown Jewel Event?

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Re: Moral Issues with WWE Crown Jewel Event?

What a PR mess.

At this stage I would be more shocked if the show didn't go on. They've literally got 2 weeks to source a backup plan and whatever plan to do employ it won't be nearly as profitable as the Saudi show....however if they wanna think about it longterm (lol) cancelling the Saudi show now and not doing anymore business with them for a little while is the best possible solution.

In anycase I dislike the whole move with the Saudi show. Mostly because it shows just how hypocritical this company is when it comes to a payday. They want to talk about how far women have come and throw a big PPV for them and act like this is a huge step for womens rights but the whole thing was smoke and mirrors to make them selves feel a lil better about taking a Saudi payday. Found it hilarious how they began to plug Evolution hard and then quietly announced that this was happening a week later
    Last edited by CGS; Yesterday at 03:47 AM.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

If anyone is interested, John Oliver covered WWE's involvement with the Saudi's briefly during tonight's show. It's not much but it's good for a laugh even considering the bleak nature of this conversation. The entire bit is actually well worth watching and it starts at around 6:20 of the video....

Ask Fuji|2018 Movie Log

Help decide WC's Fave Five Horror Comedies~!

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

Internet Favorite

Status
      Country                    Wales

Quote Originally Posted by CGS View Post
    What a PR mess.

At this stage I would be more shocked if the show didn't go on. They've literally got 2 weeks to source a backup plan and whatever plan to do employ it won't be nearly as profitable as the Saudi show....however if they wanna think about it longterm (lol) cancelling the Saudi show now and not doing anymore business with them for a little while is the best possible solution.

In anycase I dislike the whole move with the Saudi show. Mostly because it shows just how hypocritical this company is when it comes to a payday. They want to talk about how far women have come and throw a big PPV for them and act like this is a huge step for womens rights but the whole thing was smoke and mirrors to make them selves feel a lil better about taking a Saudi payday. Found it hilarious how they began to plug Evolution hard and then quietly announced that this was happening a week later
    You don't become a mutli-billion $ company without playing the game.
    I have a plan so cunning......

Last Real Man Hype

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Fuji Vice View Post
    If anyone is interested, John Oliver covered WWE's involvement with the Saudi's briefly during tonight's show. It's not much but it's good for a laugh even considering the bleak nature of this conversation. The entire bit is actually well worth watching and it starts at around 6:20 of the video....

I do find it enjoyable hearing non-viewers groaning at Michael Cole and Cena.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakstang
    You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by CGS View Post
    What a PR mess.

Its not TOO big of a mess... yet. But its a fluid situation that could go in a lot of directions from this point. The Saudi's and their allies have apparently already begun a counter-PR campaign, starting to attack both the journalist and Turkey. And it could turn out that Turkey don't have the evidence they are claiming, or the Saudis have some counter-evidence that Jamal Khashoggi did leave the consulate alive. The current counter-narrative, which the President is touting, is that "rogue agents" killed Khashoggi, not anyone working for Saudi Arabia.

But unless that counter-narrative takes hold, it looks like the general belief is that the Saudis are responsible and that has driven a lot of corporations and individuals to start distancing themselves from the country. Several politicians have already called on the WWE to take action. They have gotten a bit of mainstream attention from news outlets, but it hasn't been that significant yet. A LOT of attention is what the WWE wants to avoid on this.

Listened to a couple of podcasts this weekend that covered the situation in quite a bit of detail. They pointed out that the WWE has created a big of a quagmire here for themselves. Again, its a fluid situation depending on what further information comes out about Khashoggi's death and whether the story remains big. But if it continues to be in the mainstream media in a big way over the next few weeks, the backlash against the WWE could grow. And when the optics are bad, sponsors start to care. See the Fabulous Moolah situation. But postponing or cancelling the event could create problems for the WWE with the Saudi government. There are likely some pretty stiff withdrawal penalties in the contract. And thus far, the Saudis have taken a rather indignant approach to all of this, and I would be surprised if they would take it well if the WWE decided to cancel.

If this story stays hot and/or gets worse for the Saudis, this could become a very big PR mess for the WWE. If they take serious heat from the mainstream media for this event, will they still be getting humanitarian awards and positive coverage just down the road?

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    You don't become a mutli-billion $ company without playing the game.
    Sure.... but the frustrating thing is that this wasn't a game that the WWE needed to play. They made choices, driven by greed, to put themselves into this situation.

They had no need to get into bed with the Saudi government. The WWE has no desperate need of additional revenue streams. They got a huge boost from the new TV deals and their stock prices reflect that. This was chasing dollars for the sake of it, not for the security of the company. And they took this particular deal to another level. I've mentioned before, in this thread and others, that as a publicly traded company, the WWE is beholden to the stockholders to be profitable, but shareholders should not and do not expect that to be at any cost.

Giant multi-national corporations end up doing business with countries that aren't ideal business partners. It happens. Its a reality. FIFA awarded the World Cup to Russia and Qatar. And the WWE has worked with and continued to work with other authoritarian governments that are as bad. China isn't really any better. But this wasn't just the WWE promoting a WWE event in a nation with a pretty questionable human rights record. This wasn't just working with their government. This was signing a deal to proactively promote that country. That Saudi-produced propaganda piece in the middle of the Greatest Royal Rumble looks awfully ill-advised at this point. And this was hardly something that couldn't be predicted, at least in an opaque sense. Its not like Saudi Arabia started doing questionable things in the past few months. They have been very actively stamping out "dissidence" over the past year and as mentioned, have a poor human rights record. In choosing to not just work with the Saudi government, but proactively promote the nation-state, the WWE created a situation that was always likely to have some negative consequences.

Internet Favorite

Status
      Country                    Wales

It's more about breaking new markets too. They tried in India without too much luck however two big Saudi shows is an excellent start....I guess the money is an added bonus...but I am always sceptical that there's more too it when it comes to big companies and these more random markets they attend.
    I have a plan so cunning......

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    It's more about breaking new markets too. They tried in India without too much luck however two big Saudi shows is an excellent start....I guess the money is an added bonus...but I am always sceptical that there's more too it when it comes to big companies and these more random markets they attend.
    This is also true. And honestly, I'm kinda intrigued by the possible model the WWE could be pursing, likely Triple H's brainchild, of having what are essentially "regional promotions" around the globe that work with and support the "core WWE", all providing content to fill the WWE Network.

But again, I question whether breaking into Saudi Arabia as a market required the WWE to function as an agent of propaganda for the nation? Or whether that was a choice they made because it made them a boatload of cash?

Thread Information