Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 30 Days of: NXT

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

30 Days of: NXT

30 Days Of:

NXT

This 30 Days series looks back at NXT since it’s debut in February 2010. It’s been a strange eight years for it, with some of the best television WWE have produced over the last few years. There’s also the awkward teenage years of NXT where it was still kind of finding its place and what it wanted to be. And of course, there’s the early years ... It’s got the highest of highs and the lowest of lows, and I’m so excited for this.

This series is unlike most of my others because it focuses on a lot of talent and narrowing this down to 30 days worth of matches has been tricky – not because of a lack of content – but an overabundance. I almost could have done a 30 Days of Sami Zayn based off his NXT run alone! Or maybe the never-ending NXT Season 5 which some say is still carrying on to this day. But I wanted to highlight as many different wrestlers that had memorable runs in NXT as possible. As a result, there’s some big matches that aren’t highlighted in lieu of spotlights on other wrestlers. Then again, 30 Days Of was never about being a “best of” series, it’s a comprehensive look and I don’t think you can appreciate NXT for what it is without looking at some of the lesser guys.

Finally, I wanted to try something a little different too. Usually with bonus matches I just picked two matches that were somewhat related and notable. This time I wanted to use my six bonus matches to take a special look at six people that helped make NXT what it is. So keep an eye out for those six in particular that I have specifically tried to highlight on days that have our bonus matchups.

First match coming up shortly and I don’t think there’s any better place to start.

Spoiler:

Day 1: Chris Jericho vs. Daniel Bryan - NXT, February 23rd 2010
    Day 2: Jushin Thunder Liger vs. Tyler Breeze - NXT Takeover: Brooklyn
    Day 3: Andrade "Cien" Almas vs. Johnny Gargano - NXT Takeover: Philadelphia
    Day 4: Jinder Mahal vs. Seth Rollins - WWE NXT, 29th August 2012
    Day 5: Bo Dallas vs. Adrian Neville - NXT Takeover: Arrival
    Bonus: Adrian Neville vs. Sami Zayn vs. Tyler Breeze vs. Tyson Kidd - NXT Takeover: Fatal Four Way

Day 6: Blake & Murphy vs. Enzo & Cass - NXT Takeover: Unstoppable
    Day 7: Bobby Roode vs. Shinsuke Nakamura - NXT Takeover: San Antonio
    Day 8: Kassius Ohno vs. William Regal - NXT, 4th October 2013
    Day 9: Adrian Neville & Corey Graves vs. Erick Rowan & Luke Harper - NXT, 17th July 2013
    Day 10: Asuka vs. Ember Moon - NXT Takeover: Brooklyn III
    Bonus: Asuka vs. Nikki Cross - NXT, 28th June 2017

Day 11: The Great Big NXT Season 3 Spectacular
    Day 12: Tyson Kidd vs. Yoshi Tatsu - NXT, 26th July 2011
    Day 13: The Authors of Pain & Roderick Strong vs. Sanity vs. The Undisputed Era - NXT Takeover: War Games
    Day 14: The Ascension vs The Lucha Dragons - NXT Takeover: Fatal Four Way
    Day 15: Finn Balor vs. Kevin Owens - WWE Beast in the East 2015
    Bonus: Finn Balor vs. Shinsuke Nakamura - NXT, 26th June 2016

Day 16: Charlotte vs. Natalya - NXT Takeover
    Day 17: The Not So Great And Not So Spectacular NXT Season 2 Recap
    Day 18: Bo Dallas vs. Leo Kruger - NXT, 7th August 2013
    Day 19: Pete Dunne vs. Tyler Bate - NXT Takeover: Chicago
    Day 20: Bayley vs. Sasha Banks - NXT Takeover: Brooklyn
    Bonus: Bayley vs. Eva Marie - NXT, 26th November 2015

Day 21: Aleister Black vs. Velveteen Dream - NXT Takeover: WarGames
    Day 22: Emma vs. Paige - NXT, 24th July 2013
    Day 23: Adam Cole vs. EC3 vs. Killian Dain vs. Lars Sullivan vs. Ricochet vs. Velveteen Dream - NXT Takeover: New Orleans
    Day 24: American Alpha vs. The Revival - NXT Takeover: Dallas
    Day 25: DIY vs. The Revival - NXT Takeover: Brooklyn II
    Bonus: Johnny Gargano vs. Tomasso Ciampa - NXT Takeover: Brooklyn IV

Day 26: Austin Aries vs. Shinsuke Nakamura - NXT Takeover: The End
    Day 27: Enzo Amore vs. Sylvester Lefort - NXT Takeover: Fatal Four Way
    Day 28: The Great Big NXT Season 1 Spectacular
    Day 29: Bayley vs. Becky Lynch vs. Charlotte vs. Sasha Banks - NXT Takeover: Rival
    Day 30: Adrian Neville vs. Sami Zayn - NXT Takeover: R-Evolution
    Bonus: Kevin Owens vs. Sami Zayn - NXT Takeover: Rival
    Last edited by Shock; 11-14-2018 at 05:21 PM.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Re: 30 Days of: NXT

Day 1:

Chris Jericho vs. Daniel Bryan – WWE NXT, 23rd February 2010

From the very first episode of NXT that – like a lot of the first season – was built around Daniel Bryan. I rewatched the first episode of NXT to get a feel for the episode and shamefully, I actually quite enjoyed it. Sure most of the wrestling sucked, including David Otunga botching his finisher in a 30 second win, but it wasn't awful. I guess it didn't truly fall apart until the rookie challenges. But among the green wrestlers was this main event. And giving away what was a dream match to a lot of people in the very first show was a good decision for the show. Some say that WWE weren’t high on Bryan and that he was buried in NXT, but I don’t think that’s necessarily the case, certainly not on this show. Here he had a pretty competitive match against the then newly crowned World Heavyweight Champion, Chris Jericho, who was just about to main event Wrestlemania. This was a fantastic debut for Bryan.

What I like about this match is they played it very smart. They clearly wanted the match to be a showcase for Bryan, but they also didn’t want to make Jericho look too vulnerable at the same time. I think they struck a perfect balance, with Jericho controlling a fair bit of the early going before allowing Bryan to really shine. The match is quite short when factoring commercial time, and in the little time we saw they packed so much into it. The highlight spot of the match of course is Bryan taking that scary bump into the announce table off a suicide dive. Jericho went all in to make Bryan look great with some amazing selling especially for Bryan’s heel hook, and you come out of the match feeling like Jericho only won thanks to experience, not because he was better. That’s exactly what the match needed to be, and I think it’s a great start for Bryan’s WWE run.

***1/4

When I said I wanted to highlight all the people that had great runs in NXT, I had the guy in tomorrow's match in mind. Plus it's a very special match as well.

THE MAN

Status
      Country                    England

Very much looking forward to this.

My guesses for the 6 wrestlers are Neville, Zayn, Sasha, Asuka, Gargano and then idk Balor.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

This should be fun. NXT has loads of great (and awful) matches to delve into. Hoepfully you cover the Regal vs Ohno match which is one of the best NXT matches ever IMO.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

Scumbag Role Model

Status
      Country                    United States

Subscribed. Should be a fun one. Totally didn’t appear to me that you’re going to do reality era NXT. Should be interesting.

I actually rewatched Bryan/Jericho because of 2K19 and it’s one of the highlights of the show’s early years.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

THE MAN

Status

It's the only starting point for this thread, so easy to forget how Bryan was the first star created under the NXT banner. When I reviewed season 1 in a thread now dead, the Miz/Bryan stuff really comes off better on 2nd viewing when you know everything turns out alright for Bryan in the end. At the time it just felt like a rib. This match was the first time I had ever see Bryan wrestle and I could see enough moments in the match to know he was talented and likeable with potential for so much more. You could tell from episode 1 he was no rookie and there was a gulf in talent between him and the other 7.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    It's the only starting point for this thread, so easy to forget how Bryan was the first star created under the NXT banner. When I reviewed season 1 in a thread now dead, the Miz/Bryan stuff really comes off better on 2nd viewing when you know everything turns out alright for Bryan in the end. At the time it just felt like a rib. This match was the first time I had ever see Bryan wrestle and I could see enough moments in the match to know he was talented and likeable with potential for so much more. You could tell from episode 1 he was no rookie and there was a gulf in talent between him and the other 7.
    It was excruciating at the time but I think it's a testament to both Bryan and Miz that they made it work. Bryan's whole wwe career had no right to succeed the way it did.

I forgot to mention this match is the very first glimpse of heel Michael Cole in WWE even though he wouldn't become a full on heel for another 8 months. It's crazy that one of WWEs biggest heel characters of that time period all kicked off with Daniel Bryan in NXT.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Day 2:

Jushin Thunder Liger vs. Tyler Breeze – NXT Takeover: Brooklyn

I don’t think it can be understated how good Tyler Breeze’s NXT run was. You can't do a comprehensive look of NXT without a looking at Prince Pretty. If anything he kind of epitomises everything that an NXT star should be. In a time when NXT started bringing in big stars from the independents, he acted as a great gatekeeper for guys that were just looking to take the step to the NXT Championship picture. He was the perfect guy to act as NXT’s Chris Jericho, floating anywhere on the card that he needed to be. And I think this is the perfect reward for him. He gets to wrestle against one of the all time great wrestlers in his only WWE match to date. That’s really fucking cool, and good on Tyler.

I think this was exactly what it needed to be both as a special attraction for Jushin Liger and an opener to a huge show for NXT. The crowd were red hot for the match, and also took the opportunity to shit on the Full Sail crowd as well. Liger was amazing here. It was kind of a best-of show for him, but that’s exactly what was needed. Liger proves some of his best qualities, namely his impeccable timing and personality. The comedy spots in this match really hit the mark and the crowd ate it up. Who doesn't love seeing Jushin Thunder Liger using a selfie stick? And even as a then-50 year old man he delivers a fine performance and never looked slow or out of shape or fitness. Plus seeing a Running Liger Bomb in WWE was really awesome.

Breeze was fantastic here as well, much like he always seemed to be on Takeover shows. He bumped well and made Liger’s offence look great while still getting in enough offence to keep him relatively strong. As I mentioned, wins and losses didn’t matter for Breeze because of his ability to move anywhere on the card to where he’s needed. He was a great addition to the NXT roster. While his main roster run never hit the heights of his NXT run, at least he found a niche with the Fashion Police as well.

Really fun opener, and an historic match in WWE.

***1/4

Tomorrow we are going with one of the big matches in NXT, and a look at my 2018 MOTY so far.

Status

Never considered that this was Liger's only WWE appearance. How weird.

You're right though... it's so easy to forget that Breeze had something special going in NXT. He should be mentioned along with guys Nakamura and Roode who should have been so much more after their call up. The only difference is I don't think many people thought that Breeze would fare that well on the main roster. Shame.

The fact that we got to see a Jushin f'n Liger match on actual WWE TV is still mind bogglingly to me. What's even odder to me is that after three full years, nothing else has happened with Jushin Liger and the WWE. I thought for sure that it would lead into Liger being inducted into the WWE HOF and perhaps a couple of other matches. Who knows, maybe something more will happen when Liger is either finishing up his career or just after he retires. Although his one WWE match was "Wasted" on a guy who never became anything special on the main roster, I still think that Liger came off better than someone like Sting.

THE MAN

Status

Tyler is probably the best homegrown talent NXT got over up until Maybe Dream But it’s tight between them as to who I prefer. I think the gimmick was perfect for Wwe main roster midcard, don’t know how they missed the boat on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    The fact that we got to see a Jushin f'n Liger match on actual WWE TV is still mind bogglingly to me. What's even odder to me is that after three full years, nothing else has happened with Jushin Liger and the WWE. I thought for sure that it would lead into Liger being inducted into the WWE HOF and perhaps a couple of other matches. Who knows, maybe something more will happen when Liger is either finishing up his career or just after he retires. Although his one WWE match was "Wasted" on a guy who never became anything special on the main roster, I still think that Liger came off better than someone like Sting.
    Keep in mind this happened before WWE swooped in and signed up four members of the New Japan roster the day of their biggest show. Obviously whatever working relationship allowed Liger to come do this match was ended in early 2016 and the two promotions are rivals now (at least from the NJPW side of things they are)

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Not the biggest Liger fan in the world but seeing him in WWE was a surreal experience. A very energetic match with some nice comedy and serious wrestling, Loved Tyler Breeze in NXT, used to be one of my favourite guys. Could fit any role in was asked whether it was a headliner to an opening comedy act, he was great. Poorly misused at the moment but the injury to Fandango doesn't help, tbf.

Will be interesting to see the next match.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Tyler is probably the best homegrown talent NXT got over up until Maybe Dream But it’s tight between them as to who I prefer. I think the gimmick was perfect for Wwe main roster midcard, don’t know how they missed the boat on that one.

Keep in mind this happened before WWE swooped in and signed up four members of the New Japan roster the day of their biggest show. Obviously whatever working relationship allowed Liger to come do this match was ended in early 2016 and the two promotions are rivals now (at least from the NJPW side of things they are)
    Really raises the question of how Finn, Nak, Anderson and Gallows are feeling about how their careers in WWE have gone so far (or at least where they're at now) as NJPW continues to reach new heights, knowing they all could have been front and center for this revolution in the business, but instead are just some faces in the crowd of WWE's roster. I mean, I'm sure they aren't crying when they're cashing those checks, but it is pretty interesting....

Quote Originally Posted by The EC View Post
    Really raises the question of how Finn, Nak, Anderson and Gallows are feeling about how their careers in WWE have gone so far (or at least where they're at now) as NJPW continues to reach new heights, knowing they all could have been front and center for this revolution in the business, but instead are just some faces in the crowd of WWE's roster. I mean, I'm sure they aren't crying when they're cashing those checks, but it is pretty interesting....
    Chances are, they're probably pretty content. For Balor and Nak, they're the two that have been pushed the hardest. Even though neither has had a perfect WWE run, they're both getting plenty of attention. It's not as if either guy was going to be IWGP Champion in the last couple of years had they stayed.

As for Anderson and Gallows, their booking may be a bit disappointing to them, but they're able to make good money while in the US. Especially in the case of Anderson, he was a guy who just struggled to find his place in the US wrestling scene, forcing him to try and succeed in Japan. It's probably nice for them to be able to be home more often without those frequent tours in Japan.

Scumbag Role Model

Status

Breeze is the perfect example of progressing under the Performance Center. A vanilla jabroni plucked out of a line up and given a character that could sink or float. He perfected the character and then slowly became a more reliable wrestler. It’s a shame he was DOA on the main roster because going back to his NXT days, he seemed like a well adjusted talent that could have been in a Ziggler or Miz spot.
    -------
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

THE MAN

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Chances are, they're probably pretty content. For Balor and Nak, they're the two that have been pushed the hardest. Even though neither has had a perfect WWE run, they're both getting plenty of attention. It's not as if either guy was going to be IWGP Champion in the last couple of years had they stayed.

As for Anderson and Gallows, their booking may be a bit disappointing to them, but they're able to make good money while in the US. Especially in the case of Anderson, he was a guy who just struggled to find his place in the US wrestling scene, forcing him to try and succeed in Japan. It's probably nice for them to be able to be home more often without those frequent tours in Japan.
    Balor came like a year before those guys, AJ Styles was the fourth man to sign in 2016 and I’m sure he prefers the three years he’s had in WWE rather than get caught up in all the bullet club wars.

Anderson and Gallows would of been bigger deals for sure staying with NJPW and being a big part of the bullet club because WWE have done nothing with them and their big revenue stream of the BC Merch has gone. Gallows however didn’t want to work in Japan anymore so he probably doesn’t care, but Karl I can see returning there one day.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Nicky View Post
    Breeze is the perfect example of progressing under the Performance Center. A vanilla jabroni plucked out of a line up and given a character that could sink or float. He perfected the character and then slowly became a more reliable wrestler. It’s a shame he was DOA on the main roster because going back to his NXT days, he seemed like a well adjusted talent that could have been in a Ziggler or Miz spot.
    Man I would trade Ziggler for Breeze in heartbeat even now. Let's just make Ziggs a boring filler tag wrestler like he deserves and give Tyler his chance to shine.

Totally in to quietly watch this and never comment, Shock. Keep up the great work.

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread
    WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Walked With Elias Before Anyone, #Iconic

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

[footnote: Is now the longest reigning WWE Champion in Smackdown history]

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Day 3:

NXT Championship: Andrade "Cien" Almas (c) vs. Johnny Gargano – NXT Takeover Philadelphia

I think this is my match of the year for a lot reasons. This is my third watch of it and I love it just as much as I did when I first saw it. When it first aired I said that I hadn’t been blown away by a match since Sasha vs Bayley from Brooklyn II, and I still feel that way today. One thing I love about it as opposed to, say, Gargano vs Ciampa, is it didn’t have a big backstory going into it outside of Gargano’s own personal journey. There wasn’t hatred here, at least not at the start. But as the match progresses the two get more and more intense and the match becomes more brutal. It was two guys with essentially a blank canvas and they made an incredibly special match. You can show this to any person who may never have watched a wrestling match in their life and they’d still get everything they were going for.

This match is structured extremely well. The early going is all about your standard chain wrestling, but the pace and skill of both men is clear to see. The wrestling is fluid, unpredictable and keeps the fans guessing at every stage. They don’t rush the early sequences and give the match a lot of time to breathe in the early going. Big moves weren’t used for big pops, they were used further down the stretch because both wrestlers became more determined and desperate. For a thirty minute match, every minute felt like it had a purpose, and everything was executed perfectly. Not only that, but time absolutely flew by. Some of the counter sequences were beautiful. I also really loved the strikes in this match.

Johnny Gargano puts in an incredible babyface performance here. His fire on offence was top notch. And of course his selling and facial expressions were on point, and really helped him generate sympathy from the crowd. The crowd were desperate for Gargano to win the match and every move in this match seems to pull at their heart strings. This isn't the only Gargano match on this series so his ability to sell and his facial expressions are certainly something we'll see a lot more of. This was also the match that sold me, and probably a lot of other people, on Andrade "Cien" Almas. He won’t be featured much on this series, but this match did so much for his stock in WWE and he’s someone I look forward to seeing whenever he’s on.

The finishing sequence is among the best put together I’ve seen in a wrestling match in all my years of watching. The creative use of Zelina Vega to add drama to the near falls was spectacular, as was the use of Candice LeRae. The crowd was molten hot whenever she got involved. I loved that her involvement was fairly subdued to start with, just the odd distraction here and there to start with. But by the end of the match she was actively attacking Gargano, with the highlight being the headscissors into the steel steps. This is emotionally exhausting

This is in the conversation of best NXT match ever. There’s a few others I still have to rewatch (and will probably review in this series), but it’s out of this world good. Everything hit the mark, the spots were great, the timing and execution of everything was amazing, it was emotional, and the match was structured superbly. My MOTY so far.

****3/4

Daniel Bryan vs Chris Jericho was the rare case of two people who have held the WWE Championship wrestling against one another in NXT. Tomorrow, here’s another one.

Ugh. Gargano. The most overrated wrestler in NXT history.

Scumbag Role Model

Status

This match rules. Sorry Jim.
    -------
    Spoiler:

Thread Information