Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: 30 Days of: NXT

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

Re: 30 Days of: NXT

I never saw this match as a five star match either. It was fun and had loads of great spots but nothing I've never seen before and matches like this have been done better too.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

THE MAN

Status

I wouldn't praise it to match of the year levels either, but what I will say about the match is that it's the best multi man ladder match I've seen since the original MITB in 2005 and this is coming from someone who hates modern ladder matches. Shock mentioned the individual performances and moments from all six men in the match, that alone makes it better than 80% of MITB matches where you run through the wikipedia page and surprise yourself about people you had forgotten in the match. There were stories in this match from Ricochet's debut with breathtaking spots, to Cole and EC3's alliance and breakdown to the best one of all, the two superheavyweights colliding with each other that I think they built to really well. I think 6 man ladder matches also just have unavoidable problems in that you're always gonna get people lying on the floor waiting for their next move and a match that's essentially crazy spot after crazy spot, especially in this day and age where the reason of booking matches like that are to appeal to the gif/meme generation that are gonna eat this match up on social media. They're just too niche a match to compare to regular matches. The early 2000s TLC matches will forever be the best of this stipulation type.

I would agree about the length though, if I ever choose to watch this match again, I'd really feel the half an hour I think.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Day 24:

NXT Tag Team Championships: The Revival (c) vs. American Alpha – NXT Takeover: Dallas

The opening sections of the with Dawson and Gable are really terrific with lots of quick counter sequences. The first five minutes of the match are all American Alpha, and the crowd love every second of it. A word on the crowd, since NXT crowds can be a bit obnoxious at times, but the crowd for NXT Takeover: Dallas is great. They are amazing in this match and they get right behind American Alpha and boo every piece of offence from the Revival. In an era where it’s difficult to get a crowd react like that, this makes for a refreshing change – especially in NXT. Even when the Revival fuck up a double team spot the crowd start chanting “Botchamania” and “You fucked up”. That usually annoys me but because the crowd were so rabidly against the Revival it actually worked in a weird way.

This is just classic tag wrestling. It’s taking that classic Great American Bash 88 formula and adding that modern twist. The Revival are superb at their heat section, and cutting off the hot tags. Their timing is impeccable, which is the key to making a great tag match. I love the way that they wrestled like a team at every point in the match. You can get great tag matches where the teams don’t wrestle like teams, but that’s not the case here - they both feel like teams that are working for each other. American Alpha are perfect foils for them because they are also two wrestlers with great timing in their moves. Not only that but their offence is explosive, fast and exciting. These two teams are a perfect foil for one another and that shows in the match. The finishing sequence is awesome. It’s mostly just an exchange of roll ups and pinning combinations but the fans bit onto all of them.

What happened to these two teams can be summed up with one word: injuries. For the Revival they have been so unlucky with both men getting long term injuries at various points. American Alpha got the call up to SmackDown Live and weren’t very pushed. They managed to win the SmackDown Tag Titles if anyone remembers that but that’s was about it. Jason Jordan started to find his niche in WWE before a (probably) career ending injury.

Anyway, check this match out for some great classic tag team wrestling. The rematch at NXT Takeover: The End is even better.

Tomorrow, Jim’s favourite.

THE MAN

Status

While the first Dusty classic was more of an angle to set up Joe/Balor and avoid booking an NXT title match under a womens title match, the semi-finals of that tournament involved good performances by the Revival and American Alpha (still hate that name). You could see then that NXT had something there and it didn't take long for them to have a big impact on the NXT tag division which had been lacking in quality in the 4 years before this match. This was the start of 2016, the year of the tag teams in NXT.

Chad Gable is in the worst spot right now. If he stayed on SD he'd be a jobber, but he'd be a jobber to the likes of Almas, Bryan, AJ, Joe etc, if he was on 205 Live he could be hanging with the best of that roster and challenging for the title. But no, he's got to be on Raw, tagging with Bobby Roode in matches against the Ascension.

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Part of me always preferred the Dallas match over the match which proceeding it. Both were absolute works of art though. Like Ed said its a shame whats happened to both teams over the last 2 years. Alpha shouldn't have been split so soon (despite how bad their SD run was) and the Revival really got killed by those long term injuries. Hopefully the WWE will push them again soon (why they never moved to SD is beyond me)

As for Gable, they NEED to put him on 205 live. He's really wasting away on Raw.

[Knockin' on Heaven's Door]

Status

Gable's a rare case of coming up from NXT too early. It's clear WWE see something in him but they know it's still too soon to truly go ALL IN with him.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Day 25

NXT Tag Team Championships: The Revival (c) vs. DIY – NXT Takeover: Brooklyn II

Much of the praise I had for the previous match could be applied here too. A classic beginning; middle; and end. The beginning sees the babyface team getting lots of offence in and the heels unable to get out the block. The middle sees the Revival get the upper hand through clever tag team wrestling and controlling the match, cutting off hot tags. And the end is the big finishing sequence. If that sounds like every tag match since the late 80s, well it is. But the big difference between this – and I alluded to it in the previous review – is that the timing and cleverness of the match. A lot of work clearly went in to how to smartly cut off DIY, and keep the Revival’s heat section interesting.

A word on the Revival first of all since they are my favourite NXT tag team ever. And what makes them work is the simplicity of them. While everyone else is doing big high spots and killing themselves to get over, they managed it by going back to the basics and proving that this sort of tag wrestling can still get over. It’s cliché to compare them to old WCW tag teams, but it’s true.

I think the finishing sequence of this match is so clever. It’s not a back-and-forth near fall sequence. Instead almost every near fall in the match falls to DIY. What’s better is that each of the near falls feel believable. The fans were biting on to every one, and they were so cleverly worked. They’re all similar to finishes you’ve seen to thousands of tag matches before. I think this way of working the finishing sequence works so well because it makes DIY look like the better team, but the Revival are survivors and don’t go down at all. I can’t stress enough how much I love the finishing sequence. There are so many great near falls but my favourite is when Dawson very subtly puts Wilder's foot on the bottom rope, and the camera work basically misses it (which I think adds to the spot).

Overall I think this is one of the best tag matches in many years. Just looking up and down my top 100 lists, I make it the best two on two match since No Mercy 2002. I don’t know if I prefer this or the Toronto rematch as I love both of them, but I picked this one because I find DIY are so much fun when things go wrong for them or they break your heart (e.g the end of this match, the aftermath of the CWC, Ciampa’s heel turn).

Anyway, since this is a spotlight on, surprise surprise Johnny Gargano (or should I say DIY as a whole, which pretty much gives away the bonus match) we’ll talk a lot more about him in the next review. As it is, check this match if you haven’t seen it and love tag team wrestling.

****1/2

The bonus match later on, and sometimes too much of something isn't a good thing.

THE MAN

Status

Hell of a match and one of this series was always going to be in this thread. I think the Toronto match is the better match and might be my favourite North American tag match ever.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Shock underrating highly praised TakeOver matches warms my black heart. Keep the low ratings coming. <3
    You're going to love this.

Bonus Match:

NXT Championship: Last Man Standing Match - Tomasso Ciampa (c) vs. Johnny Gargano – NXT Takeover: Brooklyn 4

The third match in their series. This was originally meant to have been a triple threat with Alestair Black in it too, which would have been much more interesting. The Gargano and Ciampa storyline started so promising, and peaked for Takeover New Orleans in a match that a lot consider to be this year’s MOTY. From there the story was that Gargano was so intent on getting further revenge that he kept fucking up, costing himself the rematch in Chicago, accidentally giving Ciampa the championship. It’s a good idea for a story in theory but it just seems to be falling flat and the feud ran out of steam. I like a babyface with flaws – e.g. Jeff Hardy trying to take too many risks; Shawn Michaels trying too hard to steal the show. But Gargano has flaws but looks like a dork for losing two such easy wins like he had here and at Chicago.

I liked the aggressiveness in the early going, and I loved that most of the aggression was coming from Gargano. I’d go as far to say that the first five minutes of the match are my favourite of the whole match, and I have no complaints about it.

After just a short opening, Ciampa puts Gargano through the announce table. No hype, or suspense. No smaller counts. Just right in there with a big move. I had a big problem with this because we’ve seen in Last Man Standing Matches the announce table being used for huge near falls. It ended the 2000 match between Jericho and Triple H. And one of the biggest near falls from Cena and Umaga in 2007 featured a table spot. And it worked there because they built up to that spot, as opposed to throwing it out there in the first five minutes of the match. Johnny Gargano recovers from the table spot startlingly quickly and within a minute of the spot is wrestling like there are no consequences to just being thrown through a table.

The match escalates almost to the point of parody. This is a WWE 2K19 match, and I mean that in the worst way. There’s a point from the middle of the match where transitions don’t even exist. Momentum would shift from one to the other with absolutely zero struggle. It’s just blind, unimaginative no selling of one guy’s move so the other one can hit his move. It’s garbage. I hated how they survived the counts. There were numerous times when a wrestler would be motionless as the referee counts 9, and then spring to life before the 10 count. This match had so many spots that should have ended the match but didn’t. I don’t mean that in an “oh my god, these near falls are awesome”. But it was more in a way of Lesnar hitting 5 F5s to beat Roman Reigns. It’s tiresome, and it doesn't make sense that these two in this particular environment can survive so much when nobody else can.

Plus the match is looooooooong. It honestly feels like it goes an hour, and again it's that feeling that they felt like they had to go that long because their other matches did. If you can tell your story in 20 minutes, tell it in 20 minutes. If you can tell it in 10, tell it in 10. This match had Triple H all over it, and for once in NXT - that's not a good thing. This is my second time watching it and I feel like I've lost half my life watching this match. I think it was MC16 who said these matches aren't any good on rewatch, and I'm dreading the prospect of rewatching the New Orleans match a second time based on this review.

Add in the awful finish that makes Gargano look like a total loser. They go into some over the top DRAMA~! Spots that almost made me think Shawn Michaels was going to come out and start crying in the corner, while people mark out over the “storytelling” because im14andthisisdeep. In reality they tried to capture the magic of New Orleans and failed spectacularly. The attempts at drama were awfully done.

I think one of the big problems with this is they had nowhere to go after New Orleans. That match had everything with huge spot after huge spot, and felt like a satisfying ending. There was nowhere to go but down. It would be like the MCU releasing the Avengers, then Age of Ultron, then Infinity War one after the other with no in between. I want to compare it to a feud. A similarly violent and heated feud like this is like Jericho vs Shawn Michaels from 2008. In this instance, there is clear escalation in the feud: Judgment Day is the friendly competitive match; Great American Bash is a bloody angle; etc etc. Even if you ignore the friendly match at Judgment Day, there's still difference between their GAB, their Unforgiven, and their No Mercy matches to the point where each one feels like a different part of the feud.

Anyway, onto Johnny Gargano - I think there’s an argument that he’s the best NXT wrestler ever. I don’t agree, as we’ll see in the final spotlight (heaven help you if you can’t work that out from here), but his resume of matches is impressive. The DIY run had some amazing matches against the Revival and the Authors of Pain. His matches with Almas were fantastic, including the match this year which is my MOTY, and the Ciampa match at New Orleans too. What is great about Gargano is his likeability and his ability to generate sympathy. It’s very Sami Zayn / Daniel Bryan like, and his selling has provided some of NXT’s best moments over the last two and a bit years. It’ll be interesting where his run goes from here now that they’ve turned their most popular babyface into a heel.

Is it fair of me to showcase Gargano with a match that I feel isn’t a showcase of what Gargano has been to NXT? Absolutely not, I love Johnny. But controversy creates cash, and this is the worst main event for a Takeover by some distance.

*1/2

Status
      Country                    United States

One and a half stars seems harsh. Like I get that a lot of it was stupid but damn. You make it seem like a truly dreadful match a la Trips vs. Taker at SSD. Personally, I got to at least give two and a half for the sheer brutality.

Scumbag Role Model

Status

They really got fucked by Aleister Black’s injury.

But also this match is better than your rating. Worst match of the trilogy, but not horrible.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

THE MAN

Status

I don't know if I'd say this was my breaking point with Johnny because quite honestly I was losing a lot of love for the guy at Chicago when Ciampa fluked the win over him, but this was the nail in the coffin of me liking him, and quite honestly it's ruined my enjoyment of NXT. I was watching the show drunk with a friend and when Ciampa got backed into a corner on the stage handcuffed I said to them omg they're doing a bs finish again from this impossible to lose position, and sure enough they did. I'm surprised you didn't mention the finish in the review, it's one of the all time shit endings to a match of this nature.

Listen, nothing is gonna top the The Undertaker/Triple H wankfests for worst match of the year contenders, but this was the match that made me angry and lose faith in a brand more than any other this year. You're right on the going to extreme lengths to praise the story telling, really clutching at straw stuff from teenagers on reddit who don't know any better trying to make all this fit. There's no justifying turning Johnny from the best babyface in the world that people wanted to see as champion to a heel that won't be as popular as Adam Cole. He's been screwed over by being in NXT for too long.

Scumbag Role Model

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed
    He's been screwed over by being in NXT for too long.
    Can we really say that? I mean, what point would you have called him up and who’s to say he could have kept his momentum when he would have gotten called up? His organic-ness would instantly fade away on either main roster program and nerds would just bitch about him being more deserving of just being on 205 Live.

Im actually glad we’re going to see the booking now just succumb to the crowd turning on him and hopefully make up for sacrificing a potentially big babyface (which, I love Gargano, but I just couldn’t see it last long in any scenario) and give us a delusional angry failure heel. I thought his promo from this week was a good start. I’m already more interested in seeing that on a bigger stage than what I was getting before this. Not all NXT guys can survive Zayn like pushes no matter the bookings. Some of them have to be Bo Dallas’ when they’re character isn’t working.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Your rating is worse than mine This was awful. Matches going too long by 5-10 minutes and the peak is missed is fine, that happens occasionally but when the match drags a quarter of the way through and the match feels like a chore to watch with nothing grabbing you into the "story", the length becomes even more of a problem. The pacing was really bad at times too, there was a long headlock spot with the too which took me out of the match totally, making this match feel even longer. A mix of doing loads of moves and no selling them for the sake of drama was my biggest flaws though. The ending was just plain dumb. To some, this was some great story that Gargano trying to hurt Ciampa so much that he gone into a blind rage (which makes no sense as Gargano could've just kept on kicking him in his head, it's way more damaging than whatever he was going to do) but in reality, this made your top babyface looks like an idiot and doesn't make Ciampa looked good either. The Black injury was unfortunate though. I imagine it would've been so much better than this was. The feud was tiresome and far past its end even before this match, but this didn't help at all.

I think it was MC16 who said these matches aren't any good on rewatch, and I'm dreading the prospect of rewatching the New Orleans match a second time based on this review.
    Oh yeah. I thought the New Orleans match was great at the time and I was lost in the heat of the moment, but after rewatching it back in July/August, it didn't hold up at all. Everything that I didn't like about it the first time was heightened second time around and it didn't make up for it in anyway. Lost its luster.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The EC View Post
    One and a half stars seems harsh. Like I get that a lot of it was stupid but damn. You make it seem like a truly dreadful match a la Trips vs. Taker at SSD. Personally, I got to at least give two and a half for the sheer brutality.
    It's not as bad as Triple H vs Undertaker but it's certainly a match I wouldn't argue against being a contender for worst match of the year. Expectations are higher which I think hurts it a lot compared to something like HHH vs Undertaker which nobody should have expected to be anything other than awful.

I do think it's a dreadful match. It misses the mark on so many levels and is the complete opposite of anything I want to see in a wrestling match. If I want to watch a video game match, I'd play a video game. One of the things I love in wrestling is when there's a genuine struggle in the match. Whether that's in the style of Benoit vs Regal where every tiny hold is a battle; or it's in the style of Rey vs Jericho where the struggle is countering the guy's counters to counter the counter. There isn't transitions in this match, there isn't a struggle, and there aren't counters. It's literally just someone hits a move, the other guy will no sell it and just hit their move. Add in the incredibly stupid finish, the forced drama, Mauro Ranallo on commentary. It's a bad match.

I don't agree with Ed so much about it being the breaking point for NXT since I don't watch the weekly show all that often, but I could certainly understand how it could.

Status

You can hold onto that belief but I just don't think this is any way, shape or form a contender for worst match of the year. Biggest disappointment though, probably. Dumbest finish, definitely.

Oh and I watched the Kidd vs. Breeze vs. Zayn vs. Neville fatal fourway. That was a good shout out. I feel like Breeze didn't serve much purpose but his tantrums were kind of entertaining and I guess it helps to have that true heel.

Last Real Man Hype

Status

A match that has 3 of someone's finisher being shaken off that quickly halfway through a match ranks high for my WMOTY anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakstang
    You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Marketh View Post
    A match that has 3 of someone's finisher being shaken off that quickly halfway through a match ranks high for my WMOTY anytime.
    I think I made a note about that and forgot to mention it in my review. Awful.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

There are three matches I'd say are worse than this match in 2018, Taker vs HHH, Reigns vs Brock at WM and Jack Sexsmith vs Travis Banks, so its not my Worst MOTY but it's close.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

Status

I get it from an analytical point of view, it was very poorly booked, made no sense, no psychology, bad ending but if you're watching it without really trying to critique it there is at least some entertainment value in it.

The matches I can think of off the top of my head that are worse than it this year would be Taker vs. Trips, DX vs. BOD, Lesnar vs. Reigns from WM and GRR, Reigns vs. Strowman from HIAC, Reigns vs. Joe from Backlash, Angle vs. Ziggler from Crown Jewel and Dreamer vs. Edwards from Slammiversary.

Thread Information