Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: 30 Days of: NXT

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Re: 30 Days of: NXT

Bonus Match:

NXT Championship: Sami Zayn (c) vs. Kevin Owens – NXT Takeover: Rival

I thought for a while about what I wanted my last match to be. Was it going to be the Cesaro match at Takeover Arrival which is one of the finest Takeover matches ever? Or Sami’s farewell match in NXT against Nakamura? Both would have been fitting conclusions. But after I watched the end of the Neville match and the post-match, I felt like I had to rewatch this one. Not only that, but I think this is a great Sami Zayn performance that sums up why he’s such an extraordinary talent.

This match is superb, and one of the more underrated Takeover main events. I don’t hear too many people talk about it as a great match but I think it’s superb. It’s basically a kick to the fucking balls after the beautiful moment of R-Evolution. It’s a one-sided massacre very much in the same lines as Brock vs Cena from Summerslam the previous year. But this one has aged a lot better because while Cena vs Brock is shocking, it loses its luster on rewatch and since Brock has copied and pasted that match ever since. This match has aged far better thanks to the focus on wrestling.

Sami’s performance in this match is phenomenal. If you watch the match a second time you see the hints through the whole match that Zayn is messed up, and I love how he slowly deteriorates through the match. For much of the match Zayn gets absolutely nothing. As I said, Zayn’s performance here is fantastic. Owens plays his part with some vicious looking offence, and dickhead personality. I loved how he gets more and more vicious as Zayn continues to survive through everything But this is the Sami Zayn show because of his incredible selling and fantastic comebacks. My favourite point in this match, and one of my favourite parts of any NXT match, is how Zayn kicks out of the second pop-up Powerbomb. He just kind of rolls his shoulder up very casually. It’s magnificent.

When I did my top 100 matches list for 2006-2016, I had this at number 43, and I said at that time and I just want to repeat it to show how highly I think of these two together:

“Zayn and Owens are each other’s career rival, and this is another match of the year candidate. Just think about this: they have had a MOTYC in 2010 in ROH, 2011 in PWG, 2015 in NXT, and recently 2016 in WWE – what other wrestlers have had four different MOTYCs in four different years in three promotions against the same opponent? Forget Cena vs Punk or anything else, this is the rivalry in wrestling of the last ten years.”

They were two of the most hyped stars to come into NXT, and through almost every point of their WWE career they’ve overlapped. This was the start of the monster push for Kevin Owens right up until the conclusion of the Cena feud. I think their Battleground match from 2016 is a little better than this match, but not by much. It’s much more exciting, though this has a much stronger story to it. But definitely check this out for one of the finest performances of Zayn’s career.

****1/4

Thank you for all the support for 30 Days of NXT. Loads of great discussion and insight from everyone and this has been one of my favourite series’ to do.

I’m very happy to announce my next series. I think I’m probably going to do two more 30 Days Of series’ before I really put some time into my next top 100 list.

The next 30 Days Series will start next week with this man:

Spoiler:

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Jiggy, Seth had about 6 months on NXT and has no matches that are worth going back to rewatch. Why is he NXT's greatest star to you?

I can't find the gifs now, but in the match they had the year before the post match of Neville offering the handshake and Sami kicking his foot away to bring him into a hug is the direct opposite of the post match angle they do at R-Evolution which I always think was a great callback. It's a fantastic match, definitely the best ever match at Full Sail. I haven't seen it since it happened so I can't speak on whether I think it's better than Bayley/Sasha or DIY/Revival, but it's the best NXT title match for sure and I think I had it down as MOTY for 2014. Zayn and Neville are two of the faces on the NXT Mount Rushmore for sure, they set the standard for years down there.

I'm looking forward to 30 Days of WWE Film next from you.
    Ed, I misunderstood. I thought it was regarding most successful to come out of NXT. Botched it.

-
    "I'm not an Avenger. I'm not Thor. Or Cap. Or Peter. I'm just a kid in a mask. Doing the best I can. But I'll never give up on the world. Or this city. Or anyone that needs me. I'm Miles Morales. And I'm Spider-Man."

THE MAN

Status
      Country                    England

I think we may have found a NXT match you like a lot more than more Shock, I really didn't see the Owens/Zayn matches as anything that great and I think their Battleground match on the main roster was much better. Injuries really took the wind out of the sails of this feud for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggy View Post
    Ed, I misunderstood. I thought it was regarding most successful to come out of NXT. Botched it.
    Oh that makes a lot more sense

It's definitely Seth for the men and Charlotte for the women. Tag teams just go to die on main roster.

MC Mitchy D

Status
      Country                    Canada

Shock great job as always! Can't wait for Orton

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post

Bonus Match:

NXT Championship: Sami Zayn (c) vs. Kevin Owens – NXT Takeover: Rival

I thought for a while about what I wanted my last match to be. Was it going to be the Cesaro match at Takeover Arrival which is one of the finest Takeover matches ever? Or Sami’s farewell match in NXT against Nakamura? Both would have been fitting conclusions. But after I watched the end of the Neville match and the post-match, I felt like I had to rewatch this one. Not only that, but I think this is a great Sami Zayn performance that sums up why he’s such an extraordinary talent.

This match is superb, and one of the more underrated Takeover main events. I don’t hear too many people talk about it as a great match but I think it’s superb. It’s basically a kick to the fucking balls after the beautiful moment of R-Evolution. It’s a one-sided massacre very much in the same lines as Brock vs Cena from Summerslam the previous year. But this one has aged a lot better because while Cena vs Brock is shocking, it loses its luster on rewatch and since Brock has copied and pasted that match ever since. This match has aged far better thanks to the focus on wrestling.

Sami’s performance in this match is phenomenal. If you watch the match a second time you see the hints through the whole match that Zayn is messed up, and I love how he slowly deteriorates through the match. For much of the match Zayn gets absolutely nothing. As I said, Zayn’s performance here is fantastic. Owens plays his part with some vicious looking offence, and dickhead personality. I loved how he gets more and more vicious as Zayn continues to survive through everything But this is the Sami Zayn show because of his incredible selling and fantastic comebacks. My favourite point in this match, and one of my favourite parts of any NXT match, is how Zayn kicks out of the second pop-up Powerbomb. He just kind of rolls his shoulder up very casually. It’s magnificent.

When I did my top 100 matches list for 2006-2016, I had this at number 43, and I said at that time and I just want to repeat it to show how highly I think of these two together:

“Zayn and Owens are each other’s career rival, and this is another match of the year candidate. Just think about this: they have had a MOTYC in 2010 in ROH, 2011 in PWG, 2015 in NXT, and recently 2016 in WWE – what other wrestlers have had four different MOTYCs in four different years in three promotions against the same opponent? Forget Cena vs Punk or anything else, this is the rivalry in wrestling of the last ten years.”

They were two of the most hyped stars to come into NXT, and through almost every point of their WWE career they’ve overlapped. This was the start of the monster push for Kevin Owens right up until the conclusion of the Cena feud. I think their Battleground match from 2016 is a little better than this match, but not by much. It’s much more exciting, though this has a much stronger story to it. But definitely check this out for one of the finest performances of Zayn’s career.

****1/4

Thank you for all the support for 30 Days of NXT. Loads of great discussion and insight from everyone and this has been one of my favourite series’ to do.

I’m very happy to announce my next series. I think I’m probably going to do two more 30 Days Of series’ before I really put some time into my next top 100 list.

The next 30 Days Series will start next week with this man:
    Maybe its because I love matches where someone just gets destroyed but I got this in my top 5 NXT matches of all time list. Watching Owens beat on Sami Zayn for 20 minutes was highly compelling and thrilling to watch. Zayn selling his butt off and Owens looking like an absolute killer are my two favourite things. It's rare that a match like this holds up (like you said, Brock/Cena did not) but with their chemistry, they pulled it off and it still remains as one of my favourite matches in NXT history.

Spoiler:

Great timing Can't wait.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Omg Orton

Man I miss when Owens was motivated to do welll. Really hope he finds that form once again.

Status
      Country                    United States

Idea for the Orton thread: track the number of times a commenter exclaims "VINTAGE ORTON!"

Scumbag Role Model

Status

The NXT Zayn/Owens matches are really underrated. Glad you rated one so highly.

The Orton series is going to rule.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

Status

Killer thread as always Shock. Thanks again for the great reading material and retrospective on some matches I hadn't thought about in a while.

Can't wait for the next thread, even if it's not 30 Days of Kane

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread
    WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Walked With Elias Before Anyone, #Iconic

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

[footnote: Is now the longest reigning WWE Champion in Smackdown history]

So much love for Zayn/Neville that I don't get.

Status

Never change Jim.

Thread Information