Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: WC's Greatest Superstars in WWE History - THE COUNTDOWN!

Status
      Country                    United States

WWE WC's Greatest Superstars in WWE History - THE COUNTDOWN!

Welcome all to WC’s Greatest Superstars in WWE History countdown!

First thing’s first - thank you to everyone who participated. I'm excited to get things underway. Sorry for the break in action as I was tallying votes but I wanted to make sure I got things right and I did have some distractions that caused a slight delay, but the time is now to get this thing going and I am ready to do this thing!

Joining me in hosting this countdown is my esteemed colleague Sicario. It is a bit of a project and I thought it would be good to have different perspectives on the countdown, so we're going to be splitting duties on this bad boy.

We had 32 lists submitted by the following members of WC (aka the only people I respect): BD22, Baldrick, Fuji Vice, Kintaro, Zero, Ed, Thundercat, Postman Dave, sebsy, Wang Chung, Deco90, Recall, The Loocha Bear, Tennessee Nicky, Slick Mitch, The Golden Roo’s, OMB, MC16, Keefmoon, Woke Willis, JT Grizzle, JakeYourBooty, Grim, Wolf Beast, HoHo, PS, LibSuperstar, TedDiBiaseSr, TCON, Shock, RED, Jimmy King, Sicario and myself.

Within those lists we had 78 different nominations. There were 8 women, 7 tag teams and 2 occasional wrestlers nominated. We're going to be counting down the top 50 in this list. With no further delay, let us begin the countdown of…

#50 (TIED)
    CHARLOTTE FLAIR

22 points
    - 12 points RED, 5 points Nicky, 3 points Ed, 1 point TedDiBiaseSr, 1 point Deco90

Spoiler:

#50 (TIED)
    RICK RUDE

22 points
    - 8 points Booty, 5 points Recall, 4 points HoHo, 3 points Wang Chung, 2 points Nicky

Spoiler:

SETH ROLLINS

23 points
    - 7 points sebsy, 6 points RED, 4 points TCON, 3 points Deco90, 2 points OMB, 1 point Sicario

Spoiler:

#47 (TIED)
    ROMAN REIGNS

24 points
    - 10 points Willis, 5 points Deco90, 4 points Sicario, 3 points TCON, 2 points Ed

Spoiler:

#47 (TIED)
    BRITISH BULLDOG

24 points
    - 13 points JT Grizzle, 11 points Recall

Spoiler:

Due to a tie at 50, looks like this will actually be a countdown of the 51 Greatest Superstars in WWE History.

Opening up our list, we have several good choices. Three current stars who just made the cut and two bona fide legends.

Shocked that Rude did not end up higher. He was a late cut from my list, but I had a lot of confidence that he'd be on a lot of other lists. He did get a decent little handful of votes but no one put him very high so he ended up just sneaking on the list. Bulldog on the other hand got just two votes, but they were quite favorable, lifting him into a decent slot.

Not surprised that Rollins and Reigns made the list and are right next to each other. Their accomplishments are similar and they are forever going to be linked, even if WWE eventually stop with all The Shield reunions/rivalries. They are not the last set of superstars that are forever linked that will be appearing in consecutive spots on this list. In fact, I noticed a bit of a trend with superstars who teamed, feuded or were otherwise associated with each other being listed with one another.

Charlotte is worthy of making this list. IMO, she is already the GOAT as far as women in WWE go. She has all the bases covered, being one of the elite wrestlers ever in her division, good charisma, good popularity, extremely accomplished, and she will leave an enduring legacy when she leaves WWE. She is not, however, the highest ranked woman on this list.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Re: WC's Greatest Superstars in WWE History - THE COUNTDOWN!

Charlotte - probably as good an argument for her as any other female in WWE.

Rollins & Reigns - can't argue with their resumes and don't have many complaints about them getting votes.

Davey Boy - a decent low end option. Great talent at times, was around for a decent amount of time, was a good draw for his position on the card.

Rick Rude - absolutely not. His best and most memorable stuff came in WCW and I don't think he justifies a place off of 3 years in the company as a wrestler where he did relatively little compared to all the competition for a limited number of places. I could see an argument for the others that popped up, but not Rude.

Are we going to see the 28 that got votes but never made the top 50?

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    Charlotte - probably as good an argument for her as any other female in WWE.

Rollins & Reigns - can't argue with their resumes and don't have many complaints about them getting votes.

Davey Boy - a decent low end option. Great talent at times, was around for a decent amount of time, was a good draw for his position on the card.

Rick Rude - absolutely not. His best and most memorable stuff came in WCW and I don't think he justifies a place off of 3 years in the company as a wrestler where he did relatively little compared to all the competition for a limited number of places. I could see an argument for the others that popped up, but not Rude.

Are we going to see the 28 that got votes but never made the top 50?

Yes but I wanted to hold off on those until the end so that the suspense of them appearing is still there somewhat. There's a couple that will be pretty surprising.

As for Rude, it is interesting when you put it in that context. He really was only a WWF superstar for 3 years. I guess it's easy to forget that as he was such a remarkable and well remembered character.

Intercontinental Champion

Status
      Country                    Canada

Charlotte is a one of the only females I considered but I think it's still too early to say for her, plus she's still pretty meh on the mic.
    Reigns and Rollins are nice, Rollins is the only one of the two I considered, they've got pretty similar accomplishments but Rollins in easily the better wrestler and better on the mic.
    Rude and Bulldog I wanted to consider both, because I'm a big fan of both, but as mentioned Rude was only in WWE for 3 years and Bulldog just didn't do enough for me to really consider him, but I think he'd pretty easily make my top 50. At the very least if we do a tag team one, the British Bulldogs will easily make my list.

Scumbag Role Model

Status

Here’s an argument for Rude: one of the most influential WWE acts of all time. His best in ring quality might be in WCW, but his character and presentation is beyond more memorable than him in WCW. You think about all the great performers going today and they’re all taking something from Rude’s work in the WWF. Whether it’s The Miz calling people sweat hogs, Velveteen Dream airbrushing his tights, or EVERYONE doing the hip swivel.

I thought about influence for this list and he fucking nails that.

Charlotte was a late add for me. One of this era’s true greatest.

I don’t get British Bulldog.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Nicky View Post
    Here’s an argument for Rude: one of the most influential WWE acts of all time. His best in ring quality might be in WCW, but his character and presentation is beyond more memorable than him in WCW. You think about all the great performers going today and they’re all taking something from Rude’s work in the WWF. Whether it’s The Miz calling people sweat hogs, Velveteen Dream airbrushing his tights, or EVERYONE doing the hip swivel.

I thought about influence for this list and he fucking nails that.

Charlotte was a late add for me. One of this era’s true greatest.

I don’t get British Bulldog.
    I'm very much with you on that Rude argument. His influence does a lot for him. Despite his short tenure he was revolutionary in a sense and WWE constantly present him as one of the greats. Vince even says it in that Rude tribute... he is the quintessential sports entertainer. I think top 50 is very fair for him.

And I too was a bit thrown off by British Bulldog making it onto this list. He has several memorable matches and at least true classic but he is also someone who could be fairly easily overlooked in WWE's history. Not a guy they usually mention when naming off the legends. So I guess it depends on what you were basing your picks off of. Purely looking at the quality of their ring work, and especially relative to his era, Bulldog is up there. And he's someone, who like some others, has a really dedicated fan base. So it makes sense he showed up I guess.

THE MAN

Status
      Country                    England

I only voted for one woman, and when it come to Charlotte the edge she has on everyone else is that she feels the most important woman of this era. When you look at how they talk about Trish or Lita, that's how they're going to talk about Charlotte when her career is done but with the added kicker of she is a better wrestler than those two and her division was stronger and more respected. She's won the NXT womens title, the final divas champion and both versions of the WWE womens title, and been apart of historic first ever matches in the company like the HIAC and MITB as well as main eventing episodes of Raw and SD. Not to mention, she ended the Asuka streak in one of her mania MOTNs. I do think there's better wrestlers than her like Sasha and Becky, but those girls in particular have had long stretches where they do nothing of note on TV and funnily enough the most success they've had on the main roster is when they were in programs with Charlotte. She's been a game changer for WWE (and yes we know the #1 reason why she was the one pushed) and might end up being one of the most important superstars in the company's history when her career is all said and done.

I voted for Reigns because he's been a BIG part of WWE programming for six years now, probably the most talked about man in wrestling in the last 4-5 years, and whether you like him or not he's the defining superstar of this current era of WWE.

If Seth's WWE title run had gone better, I maybe would of voted for him, but his case was weaker than Reigns I felt and I didn't want that many current guys on there.

Bulldog, not a chance for me.

I think Nicky's going a little overboard with the Rude influence. Does Miz really say sweat hogs that much? You do see a lot of him in Dream and Ziggler character wise always reminded me more of Rude than HBK. I'm with Shock, I always see him more of a WCW guy.

I didn't hear no bell!!

Status
      Country                    Ireland

Rude was a late cut on my list. If it had been a top 30, he’d have made it in. I agree that his run probably wasn’t long enough to justify a higher ranking.

Established Veteran

Status
      Country                    Wales

I did consider all of the above but obviously decided against it. I did toy with the idea of Charlotte for a long time but decided against purely because i'd like to see us do a womans list haha.

On the Rude/Bulldog stuff I can see why people wouldn't go that route. Sure Rude was unique but he didn't do a great deal during his time in WWF. He'll be remembered for his trunks more than anything else..either that or appearing on Raw & Nitro in the same evening haha. Bulldog just wasn't very good for me. He was very one dimensional and only really had that Bret Hart match that is classed as anything above good in his singles outings.
    I have a plan so cunning......

[Knockin' on Heaven's Door]

Status

I could see the Bulldog inclusion being down to his international influence, but even then people like Bret & Rey are way above him in that regard.

The Million Dollar Man

Status
      Country                    Italy

I'm sorry but Davey Boy Smith was only relevant in the WWF when paired with Dynamite and in the days of the Hart stable (can't remember the exact name). Wembley's match was all Bret's work. Other than that he spent a lot of time getting fired or in WCW.

I thought about including him and Rude, but there is just not enough to include them in a top 25 list.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Postman Dave View Post
    I could see the Bulldog inclusion being down to his international influence, but even then people like Bret & Rey are way above him in that regard.
    At the same time just because he isn't Rey levels of influence, you can't discount this as a factor. Bulldog was huge over here and was probably as much of a household name as anyone not named Hulk Hogan.

There's not many wrestlers that have headlined an 80k+ venue in WWE history. Do WWE sell out Summerslam 92 without Bulldog? Of course a part of that is Bret's popularity over here too, which you mentioned.

Underdog

Status
      Country                    Europe

Quote Originally Posted by The EC View Post
    WWE constantly present him as one of the greats. Vince even says it in that Rude tribute... he is the quintessential sports entertainer. I think top 50 is very fair for him.
    I think this hits the nail on the head. He was one of the first (top 20) people I thought of when writing out a no-ordered list, but when I actually thought about impact, quality of matches, legacy, etc, he fell further and further down my list until he didn't really get close to making the top 25. He just seems like one of the all-time greats, even if there's not a load of evidence to back it up. Top 50 seems more than fair to me.

Bulldog's an interesting one. He had cultural relevance over here, which you can't say for most of my non-top 10, and had some great matches/moments. However, it felt like most of the good things he was involved in were mostly because of someone else. He's another that I'm fine with being in the top 50, and can see why some would have been drawn to him, but he never really entered my thoughts.

THE MAN

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    At the same time just because he isn't Rey levels of influence, you can't discount this as a factor. Bulldog was huge over here and was probably as much of a household name as anyone not named Hulk Hogan.

There's not many wrestlers that have headlined an 80k+ venue in WWE history. Do WWE sell out Summerslam 92 without Bulldog? Of course a part of that is Bret's popularity over here too, which you mentioned.

I'm just not sure how influential Bulldog and that match at Summerslam is other than a moment in time in the early 90s before wrestling died over here. It's 26 years since that match, and England haven't hosted a major pay-per-view since then, Bulldog's career peaked that night so things didn't really get any better for him and we're still waiting on a first English world champion in the company so it hasn't really lead to anything. Every time HOF season rolls around we hear the same thing every year about Owen Hart not being in and isn't it a shame, but no-one has anything to say about Davey being overlooked year after year when he has pretty good credentials. I actually think I hear more about Pillman for HOF than I do Davey. I think a lot of that does come from out of sight out of mind and him being someone WWE don't ever bring up and discuss, but also his legacy doesn't transfer over to younger fans as well as other people's from the 80s and 90s.

I also don't see anyone wrestles like him in today's British Wrestling scene (other than his son if he tours here) and I don't see many cite him has an influence. Someone like William Regal and Finlay I think have had more noticeable influence on the wrestlers I watch today, even a Nigel McGuinness to the younger guys.

I can't say I had any desire to do a list nor am I particularly interested in such a concept, but seeing as Davey Boy Smith is one of my all time favorites, you guys are sorta breaking my heart. So here's my argument in favor of Bulldog, especially just making the list:

- The biggest right away for me is that when you look back at WWE history, Bulldog was the first real British star of Vince Jr's WWE. Although a few UK guys came and went, Bulldog remained the example of a Brit WWE star to the point where I honestly don't know if there's ever been a Brit wrestler pushed harder in the WWE than Smith. Who else is there? William Regal? Eh, as a non-wrestling character, absolutely, but as a wrestler he never got pushed much. Wade Barrett had a period of time when he was pushed really hard, but his WWE career is already pretty much forgettable now though. As the WWE preps to get this NXT UK division officially going and airing, Bulldog was the WWE UK influence for so long.

- Although you can make a lot of counter arguments against the Summerslam match, which I'm going to choose not to since he's getting enough hate in this thread , the point remains that Bulldog was involved in one of the biggest IC Title matches of all time. How many IC Title matches are more well known than this? Off of the top of my head, the only possibilities are Razor/HBK WM 10 and Steamboat/Savage WM 3. Add in the fact that it was the main event of the biggest UK wrestling show of all time and that's a big positive.

- Along with the likes of Bret Hart, Dynamite Kid, Randy Savage and a few others, Smith helped usher in a new faster style into the WWE in the mid 80s. When you look back at what the WWE was like at the start of the 80s and what the best workers were up to by the end of the decade, it was night and day different.

- In my opinion, The British Bulldogs were one of the best workrate tag teams in WWE history. They managed to get good matches out of some unlikely sources like Brutus Beefcake and Nikolai Volkoff. While their time together in the WWE was relatively short (About three years), they produced a hell of a collection of quality matches along with creating arguably the first workrate based series of tag team matches in WWE history with the Hart Foundation.

- His role in the Hart Foundation in 1997 may have not been as big as Bret or even Owen's, but Bulldog still managed to add in some huge moments in 1997 with both the European Title finals and Bulldog/Owen vs HBK/Austin, a match that many still believes is the best tag match in Raw history. A guy like Jim Neidhart and even Brian Pillman's 1997 could be completely ignored since they didn't do anything of actual value, but Bulldog did contribute greatly.

- I don't know how important these things are, but I feel they're still somewhat relevant. There's a lot of things about his act that is still memorable today. Coming out to Rule Britannia, the braided hair with the beads, and coming out with Matilda and Winston as his Bulldog mascots are all little things that allowed him to stand out compared to many guys in WWE history.

While Bulldog shouldn't be included based on main event level sort of accomplishments, I feel as if he's being underrated in this thread from all of his influence on the arrival of the increased workrate of the 80s and being one of the biggest foreign WWE wrestlers for a very long time. Should Bulldog be really high up in the countdown? Absolutely not, but the guy's spot is #47, which I find to be pretty fair.

ʕノ•ᴥ•ʔノ ︵ ┻━┻

Status
      Country                    Marshall Islands

So my Number 22 is not goin' to be featured here, because he probably didn't made the top 50 cut.

You guys have no heart.

Thank you, EC and Sicario for running this.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Charlotte isn't someone I would pick for something like this but because of WWE's history with women's wrestling, she has a great case for the women. Overall, I wouldn't (and haven't ) consider her for a list like this.

Rick Rude has a good legacy, great gimmick but he did very little in WWE worth being on the list IMO.

Rollins and Roman have enough accomplishments and massive matches (Roman) I guess. I can see why people voted for them.

Can't believe I overlooked Bulldog, I agree with him being on the list. Great tag team wrestler with Dynamite Kid. Good plethora of singles matches. Couple of big matches like the Summerslam 92 match and was one of the biggest British stars WWE ever had.

Good names, can't wait to see who is next.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

Striving for a B+ in life

Status

Rude is a good add. Sad I missed him.

"The Golden One" Devin Golden

3x FWA World Heavyweight Champion
    2x FWA X Champion
    4x FWA Tag Team Champion
    Final record: 94-58-10

Shannon O'Neal
    2x FWA Women's Champion
    1x FWA World Champion

Status

Kind of funny, it seems like people either approve of Rude and disapprove of Bulldog, or they disapprove of Rude and approve of Bulldog.

Next entries will be posted later today by Sicario btw.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Jim summed up a lot more of the Bulldog points I wanted to. Tag team influence, big draw over here that no British wrestler has come close to.

For Rick Rude, if you're going by the influence his gimmick had for the future, then I'd argue why not a guy like Goldust? He's someone I would say deserves a spot more than Rude - and I doubt he's going to be popping up in this list.

Thread Information