Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: WC's Greatest Superstars in WWE History - THE COUNTDOWN!

The Cream In Your Coffee

Status
      Country                    England

Re: WC's Greatest Superstars in WWE History - THE COUNTDOWN!

I think more people will leave Hogan out of their top 5 than you're expecting. Wouldn't be surprised if it's a relatively small gap between him and Cena.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

It's arguable that the term "superstar" wouldn't even exist if not for Hogan. I too would have been shocked (and pissed) if he ended up outside of the top 5.

Ask Fuji|2019 Movie Log

Help decide WC's Fave Five Robin Williams Movies~!

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Nicky View Post
    Dude.

I’m pissed this guy missed the top five and another guy made it.
    I know exactly what you're talking about and I completely agree. People are massively over estimating HBK's influence on the business compared to the other big hitters at the top. Michaels was the top guy in the company for what? 3 years at a push. That wouldn't rule him out totally but it's not like he had a short run like the Rock where he was a mega draw. He was top during a pretty weak period for WWE. Cena has been the main guy in WWE for 10+ years. He's one of their few genuine draws during a time when, although ratings are down, WWE is more successful than its ever been. He main evented by far the most purchased ppv in the company's history at Wrestlemania 28.

.In kayfabe accomplishments he stomps almost everyone. 16 time world champion, a WWE record. Multiple Wrestlemania main events. Won almost everything there is to win.

Even if you want to look at it from a workrate perspective, he's no scrub there. Some of the best and most memorable matches of the last 15 years have come from Cena.

Honestly I think Cena missing the top 5 is the biggest gripe I've had with the list so far.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

30 Days of WC Member's Choice - Coming Soon - PM me match suggestions

Shock Reviews Archive

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

Gonna Fly Now

Status
      Country                    Ireland

Even though he was only 6th in my own list, I’m pretty shocked he wasn’t in the top 5, or even in the mix to actually win. As much of a fan of Shawn Michaels I was, he barely made my own top 10. Didn’t envision him ranking above Cena and being this high.

Spoiler:

BEING THE BOOKER

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

On the subject of Michaels, I think I'm just going to be happy if he's not number one at this point.

Ask Fuji|2019 Movie Log

Help decide WC's Fave Five Robin Williams Movies~!

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

The Cream In Your Coffee

Status

Yeah I'm starting to think Cena should of been my #1 not Michaels

Status
      Country                    United States

In regards to Hogan, I can barely stand to watch a lot of his matches because of how hokey and often times robotic he was and as a character in the 80s he comes off just as manufactured and one dimensional as peak Cena (if not more). But at the end of the day, I gave him a very high listing because he is still, to me, the most iconic figure in WWE history. He is always heralded as the man who made WWE and his face has been plastered all over programming throughout my entire life. The man is practically a walking WWE logo. He had to be in the top 5 off his impact and legacy alone.

But also, I would have put Cena in the top 5 too.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

I admittedly probably should have placed Cena higher over some of the names I chose over him. Either way, I'm glad he is still high even if it's not top 5. Gets a bad rap for, sometimes, justifiable reasons but Cena has plenty to hang his legacy on. His drawing power is proven as well as how much he brought in with his merch. Highly recognisable name too.

Status

We are on the brink of revealing the TOP 5 SUPERSTARS IN WWE HISTORY! At this point in time, it isn't hard to tell who is going to be a part of that top 5. So, I figured, while we're getting that big reveal queued up, we could have some fun and spark some discussion by recapping the list so far, as well as revealing which other superstars got votes, but just missed the cut, and talking about some of the surprising superstars who didn't get any love in the voting process. So, here goes the rundown!

THE LIST SO FAR

The list... so far!

50. (TIE) CHARLOTTE FLAIR - 22 points
    The most decorated female wrestler in WWE history. Played a part in many of the best women’s matches to have ever taken place in a WWE ring. Continues to raise her stock going into 2019 and seems bound to be part of the first ever women’s WrestleMania main event.

50. (TIE) RICK RUDE - 22 points
    Iconic Golden Age character who is renowned for being an excellent performer in the ring and on the mic. One of the most well remembered Intercontinental Champions ever.

49. SETH ROLLINS - 23 points
    One of the cornerstones of modern day WWE. Debuted as part of the hugely successful SHIELD faction and has gone on to achieve major singles success, becoming a Triple Crown and Grand Slam Champion with a lot of career left in front of him.

47. (TIE) BRITISH BULLDOG - 24 points
    Began as part of celebrated tag team in the mid-80s with Dynamite Kid. Would later return as a singles star, taking part in one of the most legendary encounters in WWE history where he would defeat Bret Hart for the Intercontinental title at SummerSlam 1992.

47. (TIE) ROMAN REIGNS - 24 points
    Arguably the face of the current generation in WWE. Though he has been a polarizing figure for much of his WWE tenure, he boasts several WrestleMania main events and has a long list of accolades under his belt already.

46. BOBBY HEENAN - 28 points
    The most celebrated manager in WWE history, who was such an effective heat magnet, he could sell a match with words alone. Was known to step between the ropes frequently, most notably participating in weasel suit matches.

43. (TIE) LITA - 33 points
    In a time of T&A in WWE, Lita helped redefine the role of women in the promotion. She got over huge as part of Team Xtreme and remained one of the most popular acts in the company throughout her career.

43. (TIE) RAZOR RAMON - 33 points
    One of the bright spots of WWE’s New Generation initiative who unfortunately walked away to make more money in WCW. Some would argue he is one of the best to have never reached the top of the company.

43. (TIE) THE HARDY BOYZ - 33 points
    Hugely popular team who eclipsed many of the singles stars in the company. Known to throw caution to the wind without a second thought. Along with E&C and The Dudley Boyz, helped revive tag team wrestling and take it to new heights in WWE.

41. (TIE) RICKY STEAMBOAT - 35 points
    Legendary figure in wrestling who could be depended on to put on a show stealing performance any given night. His bout with Randy Savage at WrestleMania III left an indelible mark on WWE history.

41. (TIE) AJ STYLES - 35 points
    Got in the game a little bit late but has more than made up for it, delivering big time since the day he debuted at Royal Rumble 2016. Whether it be against John Cena, Roman Reigns, Shane McMahon or Daniel Bryan, AJ Styles often proves worthy of his title of The Phenomenal One.

40. OWEN HART - 37 points
    The total package as a competitor. His career may have been overshadowed by his brother Bret’s in many ways, but Owen still has a claim as one of the greats to ever lace them up. One of the biggest “what ifs” of WWE history.

39. JAKE ROBERTS - 38 points
    Revolutionary is one word to describe him. His character was a game changer and helped make him one of the most fondly remembered superstars of the 80s and 90s. Inventor of the DDT. Influencer of dozens of superstars that followed him.

38. CHRISTIAN - 39 points
    A legend from his tag work alone, Christian would prove to be more than capable in the singles ranks. Able to get over as both a heel and a face. Many would say he wasn’t ever given the chance to reach his full potential, which we got a glimpse of during his feud with Randy Orton throughout the summer of 2011.

37. SUPERSTAR BILLY GRAHAM - 40 points
    Trailblazing former World Champion who laid out the blueprint for many of the biggest stars that would follow him, including Hulk Hogan and Randy Savage. One of the absolute best promos in WWE history.

36. TRISH STRATUS - 49 points
    The definitive diva. Never the finest in ring talent, but serviceable nonetheless. She carried the torch for the division for more than half a decade and is to this day one of the most popular women to ever step foot in the ring.

35. THE MIZ - 52 points
    One of the great success stories of all time, The Miz transitioned from reality TV star to the wrestling ring, and hung in there through several rough years to emerge a respected and beloved star. Hands down WWE’s greatest midcarder of the 2010s.

34. CHRIS BENOIT - 57 points
    A wrestling machine who you could count on to bring it night in and night out, regardless of the opponent. Among the greatest technical competitors in WWE history.

32. (TIE) BATISTA - 61 points
    The number two guy of the Ruthless Aggression Era in WWE. Batista became so popular, he could not be denied the top spot, and once breaking out as a main event player, he would be the face of the blue brand for the better part of five years, becoming the longest reigning World Heavyweight Champion in the process.

32. (TIE) MR. PERFECT - 61 points
    Gifted performer with a natural charisma who bolstered the WWE’s midcard through the late 80s and 90s. High points include revered bouts against Bret Hart and Ric Flair in 1991 and 1992.

31. BIG SHOW - 62 points
    The most prolific big man in the history of WWE. Remarkable athleticism for a man of his size. Great actor who has proven capable of playing any role WWE has asked of him. List of accomplishments a mile long.

30. PEDRO MORALES - 66 points
    An underrated and overlooked member of the WWE’s formative years. Morales was the first ever Triple Crown Champion in WWE history and, bar none, one of the biggest faces in the history of the company, especially drawing huge in WWE’s hub of New York.

29. JEFF HARDY - 67 points
    The Charismatic Enigma has had a long and illustrious run in WWE, breaking out from the tag ranks, achieving at times unmatched popularity, and grabbing the brass ring against great odds.

28. TED DIBIASE - 76 points
    Often cited as one of the greatest heels of all time and an underrated technical worker to boot, The Million Dollar Man will forever be in the conversation when discussing The Golden Age of WWE thanks to his iconic character and dastardly deeds.

27. KANE - 106 points
    At his peak, one of the hottest (no pun intended) acts in the company. Even on his worst day, he is a reliable worker with a great deal of name value and a storied history in the company who has proven capable of filling whatever spot the company needs him in.

26. VINCE MCMAHON - 121 points
    The owner of the WWE has been a mainstay of WWE television since the 80s, and in the late 90s and early 2000s, he reinvented himself and was a catalyst in bringing the company back to the top of the mountain as the dreaded Mr. McMahon character.

25. BOB BACKLUND - 122 points
    Among the greatest athletes ever seen in a WWE ring. Multi-time WWE Champion with a combined reign of over 2,000 days and a career that most wrestlers can only dream of.

24. RIC FLAIR - 138 points
    On a different list, Flair would be a real threat for the number one spot. In the WWE, Flair achieved a good amount of success in his first run in the 90s, though he was often mismanaged. Second run was highlighted by forming Evolution, putting over younger talents and a spectacular “retirement” match at WrestleMania.

23. REY MYSTERIO - 154 points
    Very serious candidate for the greatest face in company history. Has always lingered in the upper midcard and main event scene and delivered the goods on a consistent basis over the course of 15+ years in WWE.

22. RANDY ORTON - 171 points
    The archetype of a WWE superstar. Has had incredible success and longevity in the company that very few can match up with. Despite ups and downs, he remains one of the biggest names around.

21. ULTIMATE WARRIOR - 183 points
    If not for a rocky relationship with the company, probably would have gone down as one of the most accomplished competitors in history. Nonetheless, experienced a great peak and was over as all hell.

20. EDDIE GUERRERO - 197 points
    Immensely talented competitor and top notch entertainer who could be a fan favorite or the most hated man in the company with any given storyline. Likely would have added many more accomplishments to his name if not for tragedy striking.

19. CM PUNK - 207 points
    Always a favorite of woke wrestling fans. Experienced one of the highest of peaks ever seen in the business and owner of the most memorable promo of this decade. Succeeded despite not being your typical WWE main eventer and often sabotaging himself along the way.

18. DANIEL BRYAN - 209 points
    A safe bet to have a higher spot if/when we do another one of these lists, Bryan is the most beloved guy in the WWE right now and has overcome countless obstacles to create a storybook career for himself.

17. BROCK LESNAR - 217 points
    One of a handful of wrestlers to ever consistently be perceived as a huge deal for the entire duration of his career. From his debut, all through his original run, and now through his second stint, has always had a special aura. Don’t sleep on his match catalogue either.

16. EDGE - 221 points
    Made waves as a tag team competitor but solidified his legacy with a singles run which saw him winning titles like it was going out of style. Uniquely charismatic, very much over, and perhaps the best gimmick match wrestler of his era.

15. RODDY PIPER - 263 points
    The personification of a great talker who has influenced generations of wrestlers as both a heel and face. Has the distinction of main eventing the first ever WrestleMania.

14. KURT ANGLE - 304 points
    A natural who picked up the industry with ease and went on to become one of the most celebrated in ring workers of all time. Underrated for his character work, as well.

13. ANDRE THE GIANT - 365 points
    Truly a legend in the industry who helped put WWE on the map. To this day, his name is recognized by people from all walks of life. There will never be another.

12. MICK FOLEY - 381 points
    People’s champion who selflessly sacrificed everything night in and night out in hopes of achieving his dreams. A testament to hard work and dedication. Hands down one of the most over acts and greatest talkers in history.

11. BRUNO SAMMARTINO - 409 points
    The pillar of WWE in its formative days. Laid the foundation for every WWE superstar that followed. Longest reigning world champion in the company’s history, and that is a distinction he will probably hold forever.

10. CHRIS JERICHO - 454 points
    Celebrated for his overall proficiency in pro wrestling and perhaps the company’s greatest ever shapeshifter. Never was THE GUY but has been a major player and highlight of the roster for going on 20 years.

9. TRIPLE H - 466 points
    Dedicated worker. Very much a decorated and historic figure. Love him or hate him, and there are plenty that do both, has been to the top of the mountain many times and contributed a load of positives to the company over the years.

8. RANDY SAVAGE - 519 points
    Beloved number two man of WWE’s Golden Age. Among the most charismatic to ever to do it in addition to being one of the most fantastic workers to grace the ring. Inspired countless wrestlers over the last three decades.

7. BRET HART - 562 points
    The Excellence of Executioner. Heralded as one of the great technicians in WWE history and the embodiment of what a worker should strive to be. Carried the torch for WWE for several years, bridging the Golden Age and Attitude Era.

6. JOHN CENA - 612 points
    True blue company man. Easily one of the hardest working guys in company history who was the face of the company for pretty much a decade, uninterrupted. Has reached certifiable legend status and could be far from finished.

IT’S THE THOUGHT THAT COUNTS

These superstars got votes from WC’s members but did not accumulate enough points to crack our Top 50.

SGT. SLAUGHTER - 19 points
    Instantly recognizable to anyone who has followed WWE for any amount of time. Across his multiple runs in the company, he headlined many shows against the likes of Bob Backlund and Hulk Hogan, including WrestleMania VII which he entered as WWE Champion.

LEGION OF DOOM - 17 points
    Not known primarily as a WWE act, this team was still incredibly popular, especially during their first stint in the company. Hawk and Animal won the tag titles once and were inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2011.

DUSTY RHODES - 16 points
    Didn’t get the chance to reach the heights he should have in his brief WWE career, but was carried by his remarkable charisma and infectious personality, managing to be one of the most beloved guys on the roster despite iffy booking.

MATT HARDY - 15 points
    Broke into WWE teaming with his brother, before embarking on a accomplished, though tumultuous, singles career, highlighted by runs as United States and ECW Champion.

THE IRON SHEIK - 15 points
    The unheralded hero of the WWE’s explosion in the 1980s. Fantastic heel character who had a run with the WWE Championship, defeating Bob Backlund for the belt before dropping it to Hulk Hogan to kickstart Hulkamania.

JIMMY SNUKA - 14 points
    Boundary pushing superstar of the 80s and 90s, who will forever be remembered for his Superfly Splash off the top of a cage onto Bob Backlund. At times, one of the most over faces in the company.

THE DUDLEY BOYZ - 14 points
    The most decorated tag team in wrestling history who helped take the tag division in WWE to another level in the early 2000s, racking up 10 tag title reigns and destroying countless tables in the process.

CHYNA - 14 points
    Groundbreaking superstar. The first woman in WWE to be positioned as a threat to the males, entering the Royal Rumble, winning the Intercontinental Championship and if there’s any justice in the world, heading for the Hall of Fame.

DEMOLITION - 13 points
    Arguably the face of WWE’s tag team division in the late 80s, what Demolition lacked in originality, they made up for in having a great theme song and actually being a really great team.

E&C - 12 points
    Among the most memorable tag teams to ever lace them up. Broke in as part of The Brood and evolved into mega heels who kept a stranglehold on the tag team titles and won several of the most memorable tag bouts in history.

GOLDUST - 11 points
    Really pushed the envelope for character work in the mid 90s. His time in the WWE has spanned almost 30 unprecedented years and he has a hoard of great moments and title reigns to his credit.

DIESEL - 10 points
    Packed a lot of accolades into a short run in WWE, ascending to the top in almost record time, becoming a Triple Crown Champion in the span of a year and taking home the Superstar and Tag Team of the Year Slammy awards before heading for greener pastures in WCW.

PAUL ORNDORFF - 10 points
    Main evented WrestleMania I and engaged in one of the most prolific feuds of the 80s against Hulk Hogan. Was one of the true larger than life characters of his day and employed a devastating piledriver.

HONKY TONK MAN - 9 points
    Easily one of the most notable Intercontinental Champions of all time, holding on to the title for over a year and drawing huge heat, as fans eagerly awaited him losing the belt.

THE NEW DAY - 9 points
    WWE’s most celebrated group of the 2010s, jam packed with three uniquely talented members. Five time tag team champions. Rare group that eclipses most of the singles acts in terms of popularity.

BRAUN STROWMAN - 6 points
    The present day monster of the roster. Had a meteoric 2016 and 2017, and though his actual accolades are limited at this time, he possesses a great win percentage and seems pegged as a future world champion.

BIG BOSSMAN - 5 points
    Another multiple stint guy who had highs as a member of the Twin Towers, feuding with the likes of Hogan and Savage, as well as in The Corporation, feuding with a range of superstars including The Undertaker and Big Show.

PAT PATTERSON - 5 points
    A proficient grappler and natural entertainer, Patterson is famous for being the first ever Intercontinental Champion. Years after his legendary career ended, he returned as one of Vince’s stooges during the Attitude Era.

SASHA BANKS - 4 points
    Helped lead the women’s revolution in WWE, taking women’s wrestling to new, never before seen heights. Stands a good chance of moving back into the forefront of the division sooner than later.

AJ LEE - 4 points
    Standout female competitor that many would say was ahead of her time. Could go in the ring, but was best known for her psycho ex girlfriend bit which was a show stealer for a while.

EARTHQUAKE - 4 points
    Memorable face from WWE’s Golden Era, who feuded with Hogan in 1990 and 1991, and formed the famous Natural Disasters tag team along with Typhoon with whom he would win the Tag Team titles.

KOFI KINGSTON - 3 points
    Burst onto the scene in ECW and has remained popular for his entire career. Unable to ever reach the next level as a singles star to this point, he does have several Intercontinental and United States title reigns to his name, in addition to being one of the most accomplished tag team stars in company history.

BAYLEY - 3 points
    For years, could be considered the most over female on the roster. Over a three year stretch, she helped elevate women’s wrestling and now continues as half of the first ever WWE Women’s Tag Team Champions.

ROB VAN DAM - 2 points
    ECW alumni who occupied an upper midcard slot for much of his WWE career before reaching the pinnacle as WWE and ECW Champion in 2006 before unfortunately squandering what would be his only shot as one of the faces of the company. Hugely popular nonetheless/

TITO SANTANA - 2 points
    Long time utility guy in WWE, where he won the King of the Ring, Intercontinental Champion and Tag Team titles before being inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame in 2004.

NEW AGE OUTLAWS - 1 points
    Multi-time WWE Tag Team Champions who were intricate in the rebirth of the DX faction. As part of DX, these two were always greeted with great crowd reactions.

THE FORGOTTEN SONS

These are some of the guys who had significant careers in the WWE but despite their accomplishments, got no votes.

BAM BAM BIGELOW
    Not the most prolific competitor in WWE history, but will go down as one of the greatest big men in the history of the company and did manage to main event WrestleMania XI.

BOOKER T
    WWE Hall of Famer who won almost every title available during his career. Got a few sniffs of the top, especially as King Booker, but excelled as a popular baby face in numerous roles.

DOLPH ZIGGLER
    Certainly a hit or miss guy, Ziggler has accomplished most of what you could hope for in the WWE ring, but consistently gets the rug pulled out from under him every time he nearly reaches the mountain top.

GREG VALENTINE
    Rock solid midcard and tag team wrestler for the WWE, who was a consistently reliable hand for the company through all of the late 80s and parts of the 90s. Inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame in 2004.

JBL
    Until AJ Style, JBL was the longest reigning WWE Champion in Smackdown history. Outside of his memorable run as the face of the blue brand, he was a part of the popular APA tag team and engaged in notable singles feuds with Shawn Michaels and Chris Jericho.

LEX LUGER
    At one time pegged as the heir to Hogan’s throne, Luger’s push was just mishandled and unfortunately he never blossomed into the face of WWE that he was meant to be. Still managed to win the Royal Rumble and had several WWE Championship bouts.

MARK HENRY
    Mainstay of the WWE roster through the 2000s and early 2010s. Often flirted with the main event, but was the recipient of stop-start booking. Still, when given the chance the run with the ball, delivered in big ways as ECW Champion, with the Hall of Pain gimmick, and as World Heavyweight Champion.

RICK MARTEL
    “The Model” is a beloved character that competed almost a decade total in WWE, where he mostly occupied the midcard, competing for the Intercontinental Championship and winning the tag belts on three occasions.

SHEAMUS
    A wrecking ball when he debuted. Skyrocketed to the top, defeating John Cena for his first WWE Championship. Throughout his singles run, he was a perennial main eventer, one of the company’s finest workers and was often presented as one of the faces of the company.

SYCHO SID
    Two time WWE Champion who was always positioned among the top dogs in the company. Behind the scenes situations seemed to shorten his time in the company over his two stints.

YOKOZUNA
    Described by WWE as one of the top stars of the 90s, Yokozuna had two runs with the company’s top title and main evented multiple PPVs at his peak. Easily one of the most physically impressive men in company history.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Sheamus is the most interesting one there. Not a single vote despite being one of WWEs best wrestlers and having won just about everything over the last 10 years. I think that shows how forced he feels in a lot of people's minds.

Shock Reviews Archive

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    Sheamus is the most interesting one there. Not a single vote despite being one of WWEs best wrestlers and having won just about everything over the last 10 years. I think that shows how forced he feels in a lot of people's minds.

When Sheamus gets voted to be the greatest wwe wrestler of all time!

Striving for a B+ in life

Status

Glad this is rolling along. Interested how the top 5 -- do we need to be secretive about it still or is it understood who it is -- shakes out. I know there was talk of Hogan not being top 5. I'd be shocked if Hogan was 5th and not closer to 3rd or something.

"The Golden One" Devin Golden

3x FWA World Heavyweight Champion
    2x FWA X Champion
    4x FWA Tag Team Champion
    Final record: 94-58-10

Shannon O'Neal
    2x FWA Women's Champion
    1x FWA World Champion

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The Golden One View Post
    Glad this is rolling along. Interested how the top 5 -- do we need to be secretive about it still or is it understood who it is -- shakes out. I know there was talk of Hogan not being top 5. I'd be shocked if Hogan was 5th and not closer to 3rd or something.
    I think there's something wrong if people can't work out the top 5 from here.

My prediction:
    5. Michaels
    4. The Rock
    3. Hogan
    2. Undertaker
    1. Austin

Shock Reviews Archive

Thread Information