The Current Champions

IWGP Heavyweight - Kenny Omega
    IWGP IC Heavyweight - Chris Jericho
    NEVER - Taichi
    US title - Cody Rhodes
    Tag Title - Tama Tonga and Tanga Loa
    Jr Tag title - El Desperado and Kanemaru
    6 man tag - Tama, Tanga and Ishimori
    and the Jr title has a very good chance of being Marty Scurll's. I can give them a pass on that one because it should be Hiromu as champ rn.

I think that's the most depressing set of champions in a long time in New Japan and shows the efforts they're going to to appeal to the western audience. The only singles Japanese champion is Taichi and he fucking sucks.

If I wanted to give them way too much credit I'd say it makes sense that no-one in Chaos is holding a title to show the effect Jay White and Okada have had on the group this year, but I think that's reaching. They're just going all in on Bullet Club/Elite guys which I think long term isn't a great idea for their native audience. Hopefully things settle down for WK13 time.

WAKE UP

Status

Re: The Current Champions

This is probably a derision of what this thread is for but what is even the point of the 6 man belts? Outside of toryumon/DG japan has never cared for trios wrestling, it feels like a poor mimic of Lucha, or just another set of belts to give BC. Worthless set of titles.

it is weird to see just reliant ROH is now on NJPW and BC, but then to also look at that and see how reliant NJ is on American/foreign talent. Also, 3 mid card titles??

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

It's a real bad set of champions.

Omega hasn't had a good title reign so far. A lot of it has been negative and other than the Ishii match, it's been a bit of a bust. The US show aren't all his fault, it's mostly on New Japan but Omega isn't having much effect as far as they are concerned. He is a good wrestler and I hope he turns it around.

I have no clue why they gave the title to Jericho. Anything they plan to do with him could easily be done without the champion. Not really a fan of Jericho and him not be there has made the title go down in prestige so much. Wouldn't surprise me if they quickly retire the title after this.

Cody is someone who they clearly have as champion to benefit them in the western expansion which I get but the same as Omega, he hasn't had much impact on those US shows, attendance wise.

Taichi...... I like Taichi (ironically) but really?

Thee tag titles are good IMO. Got no problem with the champions moreso the booking of the titles.

The entire company seems too focused on getting the western audience which I get but it's affecting the product too much and not for the better.
    Last edited by MC 16; 10-03-2018 at 03:55 PM.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

YES! YES! YES!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    This is probably a derision of what this thread is for but what is even the point of the 6 man belts? Outside of toryumon/DG japan has never cared for trios wrestling, it feels like a poor mimic of Lucha, or just another set of belts to give BC. Worthless set of titles.

it is weird to see just reliant ROH is now on NJPW and BC, but then to also look at that and see how reliant NJ is on American/foreign talent. Also, 3 mid card titles??
    I think it was introduced just so those nothing multi-man matches on the undercard have some sort of meaning, but they never do have any meaning so pretty pointless set of titles, especially when ROH have their own 6 man tag titles that the two companies could of just used on both sets of shows.

Mid-Card Champion

Status

I'm watching a show from Long Beach?? last night. Kenny Omega wins the USA title. While JR is always dropping little WWF/WCW nuggets...Dusty Rhodes, etc.

NEW JAPAN...a USA title.....WHY?????

I love JR, he is the best....but NEW JAPAN?

Looking out in the crowd and seeing an American audience, hmmmmm?

I started watching NJ because it was different. Same reason I watch the CFL, and want it stay that way.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

They gave the belt to Jericho to lock him in for future appearances and so he's involved in a match at the Dome. Ideally, you would use Jericho to get eyes on the person he is going to put over. He was also a good candidate to take the belt from Naito compared to someone who's more of a regular/native as it doesn't affect Naito's standing too much. I'd be bad if Naito lost the belt to someone who isn't a special attraction sort of deal IMO. My hope is that they are trying to get someone over with the IC title that's not going to be at the expense of an already established guy.

Omega's fine as champion and really could've been the only person to end Okada's reign at that point. I think the belt is fine for pushing the Ibushi-Omega story but I think his reign is hurt by having no clear defined rival yet. Tanahashi and Omega don't have any sort of deep feud backstory to play off of other than the IC title stuff a while back. Hence why we have the KOPW main event be the way it is - to act as filler. They probably wanted to keep Ibushi vs Omega as a title match for later too whilst protecting both from taking the fall. But idk.

Cody is whatever. Fine character, known commodity... probably a better US champ than Juice Robinson for now. Guessing they trust using Cody more at the Dome with it. Wonder if we will get Cody in another HANDSOME BATTLE~! Or a rematch.

Taichi is a transitional reign, I hope. Don't care much for him in the grand scale of things. Goto wasn't doing anything for the belt (but that's nothing new) and I guess Taichi can be used to put the belt on someone that it needs and have Goto do whatever.

Tag Belts never bother me but I would rather there was a long reign for a team. I feel like the tag division is due a dominant run. But given how often the belts are defended, that would be difficult for anyone to do. None of the tag champions set the world on fire for me but it's whatever.

I have to disagree that NJPW is too focused on the Western fans/expansion and that it's hurting the product. If anything, NJPW seems to be getting more popular in Japan and outside of it. That can only be good. I think the point where they are 'too focused' on the Western side of things is when they decide to take an event like Dominion or Wrestle Kingdom stateside. NJPW still holds an obvious Japanese identity to me. I think it's fair to assume that some champions are in place so as to appeal to a broader audience but NJPW wouldn't risk alienating their core fanbase either.

Quote Originally Posted by Emerson View Post

I started watching NJ because it was different. Same reason I watch the CFL, and want it stay that way.
    Different from what though? It still is clearly different compared to Western promotions tbh.
    Last edited by RainShaker; 10-03-2018 at 04:32 PM.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

[Your Name]

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Emerson View Post
    I'm watching a show from Long Beach??

Looking out in the crowd and seeing an American audience, hmmmmm?
    Those pesky American people at American located shows.

To add something constructive, having the IC belt on Jericho at least removes one singles title from the crowded title scene for a bit. That's from an outside observer anyway.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Postman Dave; 10-03-2018 at 04:46 PM.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    United States

Personally I don't think any of these titles matter at all in the grand scheme of things so it doesn't matter that this list sucks so much, Juice's fate was sealed just like Goto in the G1 along with their respective titles. The Jr. Title tournament is another nail in the coffin. The others never mattered at all. (the Jr tag titles a long time ago)

The World Title is the one that actually makes a difference and Omega's proven to be what I always knew he was...not a main eventer. Attendance has flatlined under his watch in the US and his match quality isn't where it should be. I can't wait to see how this Dome number turns out because if it's significantly lower than last year's we know it's not Tanahashi and from a buzz standpoint it's not trending in a good direction.
    I'm a good looking guy, but you show absolutely no interest in dating me! But...you're so nice to me.

What was I supposed to do? It's only natural that I'd fall in love...

Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

And check out my podcasts! Every week from the MLW Radio Network (Though I'm not affliated with Jim Cornette personally)

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Cagematch.net Boss STRIGGA)

Lucha Talk - Méxican Wrestling (w/LuchaWorld Boss Fredo Esparza & Spanish Translator MICROMANFEVER)

Thread Information