Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Football Manager 2019

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Re: Football Manager 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Keefmoon View Post
    On a game a few years ago I started unemployed with decent rep to see what jobs would come up. Leeds were close to getting relegated from the Championship so took over there towards the end of Jan. Had no money and an injury crisis in midfield, so signed David Jones from Wigan on loan with an option to buy. Despite nothing stats he ended up averaging about 7.3 as we stayed up. Took up the option to sign him permanently (less than a mil) and he absolutely bossed it as we got promoted. First season in the Prem was our most consistent midfielder as we consolidated.

Despite high average rating his stats were very much mid-table Championship (a lot of 12s and 13s), so spent big on trying to add more class to drive us in to Europe. Obviously didn't want to get rid, so he was more of a squad player whose personality I thought was good to keep around. Turned out the replacements, despite far superior stats, were pretty average, so he came back in and did a job again, helping us in to Europe.

By the time I took on the Chelsea top he was in his early 30s and my replacement lumped him on the transfer list for about £1m (because, you know, he's a jobbing Championship player). Couldn't help myself, had to bring him in. Even though I had this huge budget and plans to dominate European football, my first signing was £1m for a 30-something midfielder with 13 passing. He barely played (obviously) but took his coaching badges, and despite being a pretty terrible coach I still offered him a job when he retired.

Tldr; I'm an idiot.
    Not at all. On my current save I started at Newcastle and I was absolutely determined to make Sean Longstaff a superstar. I basically gave him what can only be described as the Roman Reigns push of football manager games. His stats never improved much from the early game and would fluctuate between "leading Championship player" and "decent Premier League player".

But I'll be damned if he didn't start a champions league final for me and got his Premier League medal.

He's been a fitness coach at Celtic and Sevilla for me, despite being pretty awful at it.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

30 Days of WC Member's Choice - Coming Soon - PM me match suggestions

Shock Reviews Archive

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

Status

I think connecting to a player is one of the things that brings a save to life more than anything. That we can find those connections, considering the game is basically an interaction with a spreadsheet, is pretty fucking awesome. I think its one of the cooler aspects of FM when we connect like that.

One of the things making me a bit sad about my Atletico Mineiro save, besides not finding new oldheads, is that my departing (mostly retiring) oldheads aren't good enough coaches to bother hiring. Like they become atrociously poor. And even when I check their potential to see if they might get better.... nope. It seems like the conversion from player to coach is completely random, because one guy went from a 110 CA 160 PA player at 38 years old to a 31 CA 52 PA coach.

So played a couple of friendlies last night. Just after Maidana left, Benfica came in with a 15.5m offer for my RB Guga. He's a good player as well and has a Brazil cap recently, but will only improve a bit so sure, he can go. Negotiated it to 25m total plus a 30% sell on clause. There was a third party that owned part of him so a chunk of that disappeared, but still.... More money for the transfer budget that I won't spend.

I only sorta have RB coverage. My #2 RB last season is actually Wellison, a DM who is pretty versatile. I got a 4 star 17 year old who played a bit and can play more, plus I have a 5-star newgen LB who can play on the right side. In the first match of the state championship, I gave that LB newgen the start at RB. He got an 8.8 AVR and 2 assists, taking Man of the Match. Yeah, I think I'll be okay. If I can hang onto that LB, he is going to develop into an absolute monster.

Both of the first two state leagues matches were 2-0 wins. Solid, but not that dominant in terms of scoreline. Third one we won 9-0, which is more like. The Argentine central defender who came in got a start there and got himself a goal, so nice introduction to the club. Quite a few of the youngsters are starting to get the wonderkid label, which is nice. But it mainly means their reputation is going up and they will start to get more attention from Europe. I would normally stress more about maximizing the incomes for these players as they leave - like selling one my young MCs for 30m is okay, but 40 or 50m would be so much nicer! But I'm pretty unfussed about it on this save at this point.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

So into September of 2020 with the Atletico Mineiro save. Things are rolling.... but I fucked up.

Twice.

First fuck up with transfers. Long story short version, I've sold 115,000,000 Euros worth of central defenders through 2020. Not unexpected, TBH. I was pretty sure Maidana and Rabello would both go - real players who start at the club, and they have performed well enough that they were getting Brazil caps, but limited growth potential. Mentioned Maidana leaving already, and figured Rabello would too. I also had two Brazilian wonderkid defenders - real players who I stole for almost nothing at the star. Lucas Halter and Kaique Rocha. But even if they left, I have the 6'6" Ecuadorian wonderkid and an Argentine wonderkid I took from Velez. Both are newgens, and the Argentine kid is performing quite well despite having Heading of like 9. I still also have Rever, who is like 35 now and my captain but has pace of 3 or 4, so he plays JUST enough to keep him from wanting to leave. There are also a couple of 3.5 / 4 star newgen defenders in the youth squad. There is a one-moth break in Brazil from mid-June to mid-July which coincides with the Copa America. During this downtime, Rabello went and it looked like Rocha would go, so I started looking for some veteran defenders. I landed on Lisandro Lopez of Benfica who is 30 and solid, but was transfer listed for 775K. Yes please. So he came in. Then some sizable bids came in for Halter. That's where things got hairy.

so Lopez arrived but too late to be registered for the first knockout round of the Copa Libertadores. We were facing Rosario Central. First leg went fine - 3-1 win, I think. But it fell apart between the legs. Rever was injured. The Ecuadorian came back from the Copa America, and promptly left for the Olympics. Lopes couldn't be registered. Neither could any of the kids in the U20s. So I had the Argentine wonderkid and that was it. Don't even have a DM who is fairly comfortable at CB. So I ended up having to play my 34-year old LB with no pace. So that was dicey as fuck. We won the match, but it was a bit more anxiety-inducing than it should have been.

I could register Lopez for the next round, and I also bought Wallace from Lazio for a couple of million, so we are pretty decent at CB again. The weird thing is that I have a bit of a glut of players in midfield and on the wing. So been waiting for the bids to come in. But just the one versatile MC/DM/RB has gone so far.

Second fuck up was call-ups. I took the Brazil job when it was offered, despite deciding previously I wouldn't. First set of matches was early September. And I had it in my head there was a break around then. So I called up several players from my squad - wonderkid GK, wonderkid LB, central mid, striker. And.... there was no break. So not only am I missing these players, but also my big Ecuadorian defender and 3 wingers. The concerning bit is that we don't just have league matches - we have the 2nd leg of the Copa Brazil final... against our arch-rivals Cruzeiro. Came into the match with a lead from the first leg, but havin to start a bunch of kids..... again, dicey as fuck. And... 6-1 win. Fucking crushed Cruzeiro. so that was nice.

Made it up to youth intake day last night. Had a youth intake similar to the year before, which was a golden generation, but this one wasn't. Got like 4 players of 3.5/4 star range, though, so its solid. No 5-star mega-prospect, though. Got spoiled in that regard in the last save. In truth, I don't need. I have several of those mega-prospects that I have poached from elsewhere.

Small annoyance that the Ecuadorian defender got upset about starts. He played in the Copa America and then the Olympics, so he was exhausted when he came back. I still started him here and there, because being short had meant repeated starts within short time-spans for some players. I tried just resting him, which seemed to help but he still played. I ended up sending him on a holiday in late August. He's back.... and unhappy that he wasn't starting matches when he was massively exhausted. Makes total sense. Super-positive personality so not really what I would expect.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

Had 2 more internationals at the start of October. Less important matches this time, so I called up even more of my players to Brazil. Also lost several other players to other nations. So our squad was a bit limited. Won the first league matches in that period by a combined 11-0, and one of those was against Flamengo. The third match was against Santos and it was only a 2-1 win.

I didn't play a ton last night, but the one concerning development was having some really big clubs become interested in my young stars. It was a matter of time, but I was hoping I would get longer. There is often a bit of a gradual process to it. The players will be Wanted by European clubs that aren't the most prestigious - the Portuguese trio, English clubs below the top six, Spanish clubs below the top three, Bundesliga clubs other than Bayern and Dortmund. When the bigger clubs come in, that's when it gets serious and the players will sometimes decide its time to move on. And its all good as long as a bid comes in that's worthwhile.

In September, my RB was wanted. PSG. Real player and has good but not top-end potential. He can go if they drop 30m or more.

Now, my 17 year old right winger and 18 year old LB who can also play RB are wanted. Clubs like United, City, Barcelona. The kind of interest that makes it really hard to keep old of them once bids are made. The main thing that makes this concerning is that they are newgens with some of the best potential at the club. Some of the best potential, possible, to be more clear. The RW is 190+ and he's developing well enough that he could reach near that. He could be another Neymar, which makes sense since I poached him from Santos. the LB/RB is a step below that, but not massively, and him reaching his potential would still put him as probably the best wingback in the game. maybe not quite Dani Alves at his peak levels, but not far off. The only shitty thing about losing them is I won't have players with the same level of potential behind them, not until the game generates more newgens of that level in nations where I can find them and poach them.

Some of the other top-level newgens I have are a versatile attacker, a Chilean central mid, that 6'6" Ecuadorian defender, the Argentine defender I stole from Velez, a Brazilian LW, and a 19 year old Brazilian goalkeeper who has the potential to be the best in the world. The versatile Brazilian was targeted as my striker of the future, but he has Finishing of 10 so I doubt he will be the goal-machine I want up top. he does quite well out wide, though. The Brazilian LW is only 17 and I think I stole him from Santo as well, but his personality was Low Determination to start, which doesn't bode well for topping out his potential. Both defenders are doing well and either could start every match if we didn't play every 3 days at this point in the calendar. The Chilean mid only came in at 18 but was pretty much at wonderkid level already and he's continued to improve. And that GK is now my best of the three keepers I have and I've started giving him Brazil caps. Any of these will be world class talents if they come anywhere near hitting their potential.

I also have a few real players - mostly midfielders and wingesr - but none of the young ones have true top end potential. And I have loads of 3.5 / 4 star newgens in the youth squad from the last two youth intakes and from poaching around Brazil. Most are central defenders and a ton of central mids. The really good newgen that came in with the first youth intake developed massively in the youth squad, and went on loan to Corinthians. He just hit wonderkid status and has played 1 match for the first team. He's among those 3.5 / 4 star potential types but could be brilliant at this level. he's damn near topped out his potential already.

Mentioned the 6'5" Uruguayan striker coming in soon. Also have a Colombian striker with even better potential (pure 5* star type) and a 4 star defender. I'm loathe to recruit too hard around South America simply because I can't end up with a squad that's too heavy on foreign players. There is a matchday limit of 5, which I've only hit a few times. They also can't join until they are 18, which means they stay at their current club and develop there - which can be great in cases like that Chilean midfielder. Or it can stunt their development.

Still enjoying the shit out of this save and it might be my last "big one" before FM20 comes out. I don't expect losing my best young players will impact that enjoyment... but I'm still kinda dreading it.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Started a new game as Crewe and loving it. Predicted to finish 23rd but we're sat just outside the playoffs at the moment. My "keep it simple stupid" approach to tactics that I always use really suits lower league football.

Asked the board for an affiliate and they came back with Man Utd, which is pretty amazing. They haven't given me anyone yet, but hopefully soon.

Shock Reviews Archive

Status

Crewe an interesting club and sitting near the playoffs is nice work. And a link like United could bring in some real talent. United always have loads of youngsters, poach tons more, and have strong youth intakes.

I actually really quite enjoy playing in the Championship. I just don't like getting promoted and having to deal with the Premier League.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    Crewe an interesting club and sitting near the playoffs is nice work. And a link like United could bring in some real talent. United always have loads of youngsters, poach tons more, and have strong youth intakes.

I actually really quite enjoy playing in the Championship. I just don't like getting promoted and having to deal with the Premier League.
    The jump from Championship to the Premier League is brutal, especially this year when morale feels more important than ever.

Shock Reviews Archive

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    The jump from Championship to the Premier League is brutal, especially this year when morale feels more important than ever.
    Its easier in some ways, too. The sheer amount of money you get makes it easier to stabilize after a bit. I've found that staying up wasn't too hard in the couple of saves I did, but because of the morale, the fixture list makes a HUGE difference. If you get a run of tough fixtures, you can be fucked. Similarly, fi you get a run of winnable ones early, it can build things up and carry you through.

I just really don't enjoy managing in the Prem. The sheer wealth that the biggest clubs have and how predatory they are, the money everyone has, the way that the same clubs stay at the top for so long....
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    Its easier in some ways, too. The sheer amount of money you get makes it easier to stabilize after a bit. I've found that staying up wasn't too hard in the couple of saves I did, but because of the morale, the fixture list makes a HUGE difference. If you get a run of tough fixtures, you can be fucked. Similarly, fi you get a run of winnable ones early, it can build things up and carry you through.

I just really don't enjoy managing in the Prem. The sheer wealth that the biggest clubs have and how predatory they are, the money everyone has, the way that the same clubs stay at the top for so long....
    I can get that feeling. It's almost unfortunate in that regard that FM is so realistic.

Shock Reviews Archive

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    I can get that feeling. It's almost unfortunate in that regard that FM is so realistic.

Indeed. I almost wonder if there should be random events (optional) which would cause shifts in leagues. It tends to actually happen. Rich new owner, or owner taking over who won't spend. A club who has a rich owner like Man City is just going to have money forever, when realistically, that could change at any point where the owner (aka nation-state) decides to stop putting money in.

About to hit the summer 2021 window in my Atletico Mineiro save. Have almost half my first team wanted by big clubs. Liverpool wants everyone. Just got a United bid for my versatile LB/RB newgen but it was shit. One of those "10% above value" for a 19 year old fullback with 5 star potential. Seriously, United?
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Tag Team Specialist

Status
      Country                    Wales

I downloaded FM 19 last week as it's on offer on Steam. Never really played FM before as I've struggled to get into it, but Im hooked this time round!

Taken control of United of course and I'm in the process of taking them back to the top!

Frozen out Lukaku but struggling to offload him for a fair price. Got Alexis back to firing on all cylinders and Martial and Rashford are banging in goals left and right as my front 2 strikers. Jones and Smalling have emerged as a solid CB pairing, Darmian has been my 1st choice RB and has been a revelation for me. Young has overtaken Shaw as my LB having earlier on been told he was surplus to requirements. Herrera is my captain and I've got Lingard, Mata working the wings with Chong a strong sub for me in that depatrment.

I signed Joao Felix for £60m, he performs well for me whenever I play him. I featured him a lot in pre-season and early parts of the season, now more of a bench warmer for the first team but plays regular for the reserves while I continue his development.
    I'm in the process of signing a few good looking youngsters in the January window. Daniel James, Everton, Pedro (both Brazilians) and a young Romanian player (who's name I forget). All with great potential to be top players.

I'm currently 4th in the league, in the semi final of the Carabao cup, still in the FA cup and in the last 16 of the Champions League (having scraped through he group stages!).

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Selling players is tough in general. The ai is really smart and knows when you're trying to force someone out, so they will low ball offers and put in rubbish clauses like the selling team wage contribution.

If you're trying to force a player out, be prepared to get less than you want.

Shock Reviews Archive

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Went on a ridiculous run in the second half of my first season in League Two. Managed to loan Dylan Levitt from Man Utd in January and the kid just lit up the entire league and I ended up winning the whole league. Fantastic given the media prediction was 23rd.

Just in December in League One and the difference in quality is not very high. The better teams like Sunderland, both Sheffield teams and Charlton are tricky, but the rest of the league isn't that much stronger than League Two. As a result, and with some good free signings I'm sat in 2nd going into December, which is amazing. If I can get promoted again it will obviously be fantastic, but this squad would get massacred in the Championship and I'm worried about that.

Shock Reviews Archive

Status

Back to back promotions can end up blowing up on you, but it depends on the club. Sometimes struggling in that first season at the higher level and going back down can really give you more time to build. And sometimes it just gets you fired.

After a week away, back to the old grind. Still rolling with Mineiro. Getting through the summer of 2021 was awful. Constant bids for players and most bids were shit. As I keep saying, I'll sell anyone.... but I don't want to be giving players away.

Some fun sequences with transfers. I have a Brazilian LB who can also play RB. He's a 5 star newgen and at 19 years old, he's highly developed. Could step into most top level European sides, and still has potential to get better. Potential is to be one of the better wide defenders in the world. Value was something like 13m. So of course, the bids start at value + 2m, because that's where the interested clubs always start. And trying to negotiate up from there? No, no the interested club can't do that. Its annoying because its not how the AI clubs go after wonderkids at other AI clubs. But its how they ALWAYS do at a user club. And that's not limited to this save.

In this case, the pursuing club was Manchester United. Turning down that first bid pissed off the player, resulting in a team meeting a couple weeks later. United made repeated bids, and the last one was around 40m. they gave up. Other clubs were still interested. This was about mid-July and the player settled back down. Then Tottenham made a bid. 15m. What the fuck, Levy? Then a Spanish club (Valencia or Atletico, can't recall which) makes an 18m bid. The stupidest thing is that the United bid was public since it was public that I turned it (and subsequent) bids down and the player was upset. Yet somehow these other clubs ignore that and start the process over. Like if Arsenal gets laughed off by Palace with a 40m bid for Zaha and then gets a 50m bid turned down too, and 60m, and then Everton dives in with a 40m bid with the same structure at Arsenal's first bid. Just.... why?

Made it through July and closing near the end of August and there is a flurry of bids. Liverpool, Barcelona, and United all made bids for players that were all exactly value + 2m. Every fucking time. There is a difference between "face" value of a player and sale value, yet somehow AI clubs almost always start out with face value plus 2m and it feels really robotic. The player that Barcelona went after is a RW who is literally the new Neymar. 18 years old, 150 CA 196 PA. Big contract, 5 years remaining, playing regularly for the Brazil NT, and has something like 35 goals in 85 league appearances for the 13th biggest club in the world. But Barcelona think he should be worth 18m and that's it. Negotiate up? No, that's not possible here. These aren't wonderkids that are being bought and stashed in the reserves or loaned out like AI clubs so often do. Some of these are burgeoning superstars who will have "elite" designations once they hit 21 years old. The central mid I sold to Arsenal is world class and got a 235K per week contract and is replacing Ozil (who is now transfer listed). This winger is a bit behind that in development (as he's two years younger) but has notably better potential. I looked thru Barcelona's squad - he would have the 8th highest CA in the Barca squad and 2nd highest PA after Messi. But Barcelona think 20m is sufficient for that caliber of player.

So no one particularly important left other than the central mid that went to Arsenal. Transfer budget is sitting at over 200m, so keeping a few of these talents in house for longer would be nice. The youth intake didn't bring in anything of real value, which was a bit disappointing. On the last save with the same club, we were getting pure 5-star newgens here and there. Instead, its a glut of 3 / 4 star types. Hardly useless but a bit disappointing when the current generation of wonderkids at the club are mostly the 5 star type.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

No One

Status
      Country                    Canada

In my 4th season with Bayer Leverkusen with my friend playing RB Leipzig. He's got quite a few hardware with 2 league titles (Dortmund won the other, Bayern is trash). I'm sitting pretty with no gold to my name. I've been pretty mediocre in general with a 7th place first season finish, 3rd place 2nd season, and 5th place 3rd season. I haven't really tried to hold on to my better players (biggest sale was Paulinho to Bayern for 80m and Leon Bailey 80m to Man U with Tah 50m to City and Milenkovic 40m to Bayern).

I have spent a shitton on wonderkids because I've fully accepted my role as a selling club. I'd like to try and reach a balance of $1B which I've never done before by the time we end this file (probably in time for FM20). We probably could've been many years in but I always got distracted so the progress has been real slow. I've been making an effort to have a Saturday gaming sesh where we can sink in a lot of hrs in the morning. Hoping to get back into Champions League in this 4th season, I don't think we have the talent to actually challenge for the title though.

EDIT: I've got a balance of about 250M with a budget over 200M. For perspective, my highest paid player makes 105K and everyone else is below 100k. I dont like big contracts

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Got my back to back promotions with Crewe, finishing in League One in 2nd place. Great result but with next to no budget in the Championship, players getting poached for their release clauses, and an overall poor squad, the writing was on the wall for the next season. Started the Championship poorly, sat in 23rd place on 8 points after 12 games, team morale being very low.

Now, I like to play my FM games somewhat realistically. So me, as an enthusiastic young manager on 9k a week, gets offered the job of recently relegated Huddersfield with a salary of £35k a week - well that was a bit too tempting for my manager. A healthy budget of £46million was given to me for January and the board wanted me to get Huddersfield (in 21st place) to a mid table finish. But the club was only 7 points off the playoffs, so I took it and set the sights higher. I ended up getting promoted to the Premier League in my third season via the playoffs. Someone was daft enough to give us £27m for Mouine despite him being unable to hit a barn door. Ramadan Sobhi, Kachunga, Tony Parrot, and Eberechi Eze were just too strong for the Championship. That makes it three promotions in three years for my new manager and the Premier League beckoned.

Despite promotion and healthy funds, not many players want to come to Huddersfield so had to make do with mostly the same squad. We were sitting nicely in 9th come November when Crystal Palace (currently 17th) came calling. Like the last job, it wasn't a club that I felt was in any danger of getting relegated, and Palace offered me a healthy £60k p/w salary (Huddersfield would only offer me £53k, the cheap bastards). Loyalty means nothing, so I jumped ship for the second time in my three and a half year career to Palace.

Unfortunately, while I didn't think Palace were in any danger, it turns out they were. I just couldn't get the squad to click. Zaha is a player I'm a massive fan of IRL, but in this game he was next to useless for me, and was getting largely out-performed by Kasey Palmer and Andros Townsend. The defence was slow and rubbish. In the end we finished 16th, which was a lot lower than I wanted but the board only wanted survival so I'm still ok. Made some big signings for the next season though. Fiete Arp was unsetttled at Bayern so pinched him for £9m. Julian Alvarez from Sampdoria for £19m. Tom Davies and Mason Holgate both on free transfers from Everton. Hung on to AWB for another season too. Signed a new goalkeeper, a 19 year old wonderkid from Blackburn, and a new deep lying playmaker from Anderlecht. Lots of changes but the squad clearly needed it badly.

Shamefully Huddersfield finished above me last season, so need to put that right this time around.

Shock Reviews Archive

Underdog

Status
      Country                    France

I am not playing the full game. I got the handheld version of '19 for the Switch in November and started a season with Salford City in the conference.

They had a very small budget for transfers, so I changed it to a larger wage budget and signed a few players that were free agents. I like to play a high tempo pressing game with pacey and versatile wide men, so I signed Milan Lalkovic, a Slovakian under 21 who can play on either wing and was released by Portsmouth and Mauro Vilhete, a 25 year old Portuguese winger that could play wing back or wing from Barnet. Both players could play on either side.

I was generally happy with the squad. The 'keeper Chris Neal is solid for conference level, central defenders Nathan Pond and Carl Piergianni extremely comfortable. Scott Wiseman as a veteran at right back and Ibrahmim Touray at left back played very high up the pitch. The surprise for me was in central midfield where Gus Mafuta and Lois Maynard controlled many a game. My high tempo game however meant that Gus was picking up almost a booking a game and missed a fair few matches through suspension.

I find with FM that promotion from the conference is relatively easy. It's almost as if all you need to do is takeover a team and the fact you have tactics and nobody else does is enough. Adam Rooney was a beast for me in the first season, scoring 40 goals in 42 appearances. I finished top of the pile with 102 points.

Moving into the second season, I released a lot of players and needed to sign a few to slot in. My scouts recommended Jack Doyle, a young left back from Blackburn, and Finn Tapp a young Croatian central midfielder from MK Dons. Both players my scouts advised have the potential to become top Championship players. I signed Sam Jones, an AMC from Shrewsbury.

I signed Gabby Abgonlahor on a free after Scunthorpe had released him to add some leadership to the team. Plus he can play anywhere among the front line.

As a plan B I decided to sign a tall striker, in case I need to play long ball to a big man, so I grabbed Elijah Adebayo from Fulham.

In my first two games in League Two, I scraped a win in the first against Grimsby with a last minute Adam Rooney goal. Then beat Crawley 7-2 with new 16 year old Finn Tapp scoring a hat trick from central midfield.

No One

Status
      Country                    Canada

When your invincible season going 18 games strong goes to shit in a home game against an average team because for some unknown reason the boys are feeling anxious and nervous for the first time all season, and the other team gets a spontaneous long shot in the 85th minute. ;( Hope I can hold on to my 7 point league atop the Bundesliga. Dortmund are 10th and Bayern are 3rd but Leipzig are right behind me ;(

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Snow View Post
    When your invincible season going 18 games strong goes to shit in a home game against an average team because for some unknown reason the boys are feeling anxious and nervous for the first time all season, and the other team gets a spontaneous long shot in the 85th minute. ;( Hope I can hold on to my 7 point league atop the Bundesliga. Dortmund are 10th and Bayern are 3rd but Leipzig are right behind me ;(
    Reminds me of this:

Shock Reviews Archive

Status

You can hold onto that lead, Jon. You got this.

Into February 2022 with Atletico Mineiro. Since I'm also managing Brazil, managing thru the World Cup at least would be pretty cool. I never really do international management and I'm pretty sure I've never managed a nation thru a World Cup.

The transfers is still the annoying part of the save. its basically the dynamic I bitched about in the last post, where clubs seem to ignore the situations that have already evolved when it comes to making bids. Like if its publically known that the club is turning down 40M bids, they still come in with 22M as their opener. Like.... why?

We had a lot of turnover in January. Well, really just outgoings. Forgot one of my DM/MC players Victor Yan had a release clause for domestic clubs that was lowish so he's gone to Arsenal for 20m. And then Valencia did the same for a LB that would have been third choice for basically the same money. I got an offer from Real Madrid for my Venezuelan right back and negotiated it up to something like 40m. Bye. And then PSG came in with an offer for Sanchez, my Argentine CB who is really good.... but already 22 so might not top out his potential and his Heading is only 9. Got them up to 39.5m with another 10m in clauses. Possibly up to 50m for a defender with 9 Heading seems okay to me, so bye as well.

I got a few bids for the players I preferred to keep - central mids, LB, and that "new Neymar" RW. City started bidding for the RW right at the end of the window, and I just kept answering with locked 120m bids. they didn't bite. He's upset now, but should settle down in a bit. The part that annoys the fuck out of me is that when a transfer saga kicks off with him again in 4 months, the clubs will all ignore the fact that we turned down like 42m or something from City on their last bid and start all over again at player value plus two million. Its really annoying and unrealistic.

The squad is a powerhouse. We actually downed Real Madrid 3-2 in the final of the Club World Cup, which was a pleasant surprise. Got my first player develop into a world class player and literally have the label. A couple of the wonderkids are pretty much as good, but might not have the reputation level yet. Our GK, LB, Ecuadorian DC, Chilean AMC, the new Neymar RW, Colombian striker, and three other young Brazilian winger/striker attackers all have top level potential and will be among the best in the world at their positions if they come close to topping it out. I'm not going to hang onto all of them, obviously. But if even one or two can be kept in house for another two seasons, they could easily be the best players I've developed on FM19 and probably on FM ever.

And for fun, our current transfer budget is 331m. Wage budget is 2m and we are spending like 950K. I keep poaching young players from across Brazil and all of South America here and there, but there just haven't been as many top end 5 star newgens in the last 2 years.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Thread Information