Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Football Manager 2019

Status

Re: Football Manager 2019

4 matches into the second season. 2 wins and 2 losses (against top sides). We have been competitive and survival should be doable. But playing in the Prem has somehow just sucked my interest out of the save. I ended up starting up a new save and really don't know if I'll keep going with this Blackburn one. It has the elements to keep me engaged - a tactic I'm enjoying and plenty of developing young players. But the Prem just doesn't interest me much. I've had fun saves with Bournemouth and Leicester in the past couple of versions but those only a bit over a season each. I'm not entirely sure what the issue is. A whole bunch of rich clubs throwing money around, targeting your players. But that happens in almost any league, even if the rich clubs targeting your players are from other nations.

The save bounce is pretty normal for me. And in fairly typical fashion, I'm not entirely sure what I want in a save at the moment. I don't have much interest in managing a major club, even if its just for a season or two. But I also don't really want to deal with the issue of lower league management. Maybe second division again in another fairly strong nation (German, Italy), but not much below that. My go-to saves in the past few FMs have been Vitesse in The Netherlands, Lokomotiv Moscow in Russia, and both Lobos BUAP and Pumas UNAM in Mexico. I also had a save in Brazil with Atletico Mineiro on FM18 that I really enjoyed. Of those, Lokomotiv and Mineiro are the ones that interest me right now, and I would prefer to have editor files to activate all South American nations before managing in Brazil. I haven't managed in Spain or Italy for a LONG time and they are kinda tempting. But haven't been able to settle on a club. Plus I find the non-EU rules in Italy a mess to deal with. Not having to deal with any foreign player restrictions has its appeals and I've long enjoyed managing in both Germany and The Netherlands, but none of the clubs there really appeal to any extent. So I started up with Lokomotiv Moscow. Dunno how long I will stick with it, to be honest, but I really like them in real life and they are quite fun in FM.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

4 matches into the second season. 2 wins and 2 losses (against top sides). We have been competitive and survival should be doable. But playing in the Prem has somehow just sucked my interest out of the save. I ended up starting up a new save and really don't know if I'll keep going with this Blackburn one. It has the elements to keep me engaged - a tactic I'm enjoying and plenty of developing young players. But the Prem just doesn't interest me much. I've had fun saves with Bournemouth and Leicester in the past couple of versions but those only a bit over a season each. I'm not entirely sure what the issue is. A whole bunch of rich clubs throwing money around, targeting your players. But that happens in almost any league, even if the rich clubs targeting your players are from other nations.

The save bounce is pretty normal for me. And in fairly typical fashion, I'm not entirely sure what I want in a save at the moment. I don't have much interest in managing a major club, even if its just for a season or two. But I also don't really want to deal with the issue of lower league management. Maybe second division again in another fairly strong nation (German, Italy), but not much below that. My go-to saves in the past few FMs have been Vitesse in The Netherlands, Lokomotiv Moscow in Russia, and both Lobos BUAP and Pumas UNAM in Mexico. I also had a save in Brazil with Atletico Mineiro on FM18 that I really enjoyed. Of those, Lokomotiv and Mineiro are the ones that interest me right now, and I would prefer to have editor files to activate all South American nations before managing in Brazil. I haven't managed in Spain or Italy for a LONG time and they are kinda tempting. But haven't been able to settle on a club. Plus I find the non-EU rules in Italy a mess to deal with. Not having to deal with any foreign player restrictions has its appeals and I've long enjoyed managing in both Germany and The Netherlands, but none of the clubs there really appeal to any extent. So I started up with Lokomotiv Moscow. Dunno how long I will stick with it, to be honest, but I really like them in real life and they are quite fun in FM.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

Okay, so the Blackburn save I abandoned? Yeah, I kept going with it. I still don't love managing in the Prem. But I figured I would go a bit further.

Don't have to worry about relegation lol. Over 30 points already and its not even Christmas. We were in the top three for a bit, but sliding a bit. After the first four matches (two wins and two losses), we had a run of something like 7 straight wins. It was all sides in the lower half of the table. Whupped up on the other sides that got promoted, Preston and Aston Villa. Something similar happened on a FM18 save with Leicester where we did okay for the first half of the season, overachieving a bit, and then had a great run against all the lower half sides through the early part of the new year that gave us amazing momentum, and then ended up taking the title when United faltered (I complained about that one too lol). We are going to quite that well this time. But we were 2nd for a bit. The run ended against Tottenham but we picked up a couple more wins, then lost to United. Drew against Arsenal (who are outside the top ten) and Southampton. Then had a match against City.

City are not doing amazing but they are still a powerhouse who have added even more talent (like Milenkovic-Savic). They are top four, so right around the same spot as us on the table. I'm just hoping we don't get eviscerated. I pick the squad, tweak nothing tactically (I haven't done anything to deviate from the default 4-3-3 Gegenpress, really) and just hit Instant Result. 5-0 win. Wait, what? Watched the goals back. We scored two from inside forwards cutting in, hitting the byline, and making a nice cutback pass. One from a GK error. Two from corners. City had the better of the match stats-wise but not by a mile. The best was that before the match, Guardiola was complimentary of how well we have been doing. Afterward he blasted us, saying he wasn't impressed. Okay Pep.

I'm still enjoying the save, even if I really don't love managing in the Prem. Its a bit of a weird dynamic. I have some really promising young players, like Tonali and Marin. And I'm slowly loading up on newgens. I expect the bigger clubs to come calling before long for the likes of Marin, Xadas, and Nyambe. As long as I can get good money for them, I'll happily sell. Nyambe has been linked with a move to Newcastle for a long time and the media stories quote a possible fee of 50m. Fuck yes please.

Got the Brexit notification and just got the info about the changes. Its 17 foreign player limit but also had a second message with some info about Work Permits. So I'm not ENTIRELY sure how its going to work at this point. I should be okay. I am going to be targeting British players. Already have a few British newgens, both free agent ones and a couple who came through the Blackburn academy. As the club reputation goes up, it gets fun poaching players from Italy, Spain, and Germany who are quality but bargains compared to comparable English players.

Probably my biggest concern at this point in the save is Adrien. He is a 17 year old Spanish attacking player. I signed as a 16 year old first day newgen. His potential is Messi-like and he reminds me of Messi a bit. The problem is that he's not an ideal fit. He is naturally a right-footed AMC who can also play AMR. I was retraining him to be an MC and he has developed but he's still not particularly well rounded, and I have been targeting MCs who do fit what I need. So I also started retraining him to AML (since he's right footed) but he hasn't performed particularly well there (lack of familiarity). and I do like my inside forwards to be more rounded too, because we press high and hard. But if he could turn into Messi.... I don't wanna not develop him either. I also have a DM with similar potential. He's a German first day newgen who was only 14 when the save started so he couldn't join the club until he turned 16 - he was "on trial" for the entire first season. At 15, he would have been my best DM by CA by mid-way through the first season. He's still up there. Mentoring his negatively affected his personality a bit, though, and he's getting more down arrows for development than up. He could probably start every single match, in terms of CA, but his age makes me leery from overplaying him.

Its a fun save but the Prem distaste (in FM, at least) means I'm not sure how long I'll stick with it. I am aiming for Europa League qualification, which would be a flat-out awesome return season. Top half is solid, but it would feel disappointing at this point due to such a strong first half of the season.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Heel Champion

Status
      Country                    Wales

Tempted to give this FM a try as a Christmas treat for myself....how does it run Papa? Don't want to spend forever waiting for things to process haha. Should also really make sure it can run on my laptop :D
    I have a plan so cunning......

Status

It runs similar to previous years. But it depends heavily on how much you load it down. if you want 50 leagues running and 250K players, you average non-gaming laptop is going to struggle. But as long as you are reasonable, it should be fine. My buddy that I got hooked on it last year just has an old surfing & email laptop and he does okay, just doesn't load up too many leagues in save.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

So I tried Brazil for the first time on FM18 and quite enjoyed it. Decided to do it again. I've picked Atletico Mineiro as my club in Brazil for literally no reason, but they are a fairly big club. Some solid players, including some that fans might recognize like Ricardo Olivera. Good facilities. And a new stadium that opens in late 2020.

I enjoyed the Blackburn save but it progressed faster than I expected. So doing Mineiro again. Just finished the second season. Winning everything - except the Club World Cup, but fuck Jose Mourinho. Using the same 4-3-3 gegenpress tactic that I was using with Blackburn as it fits the squad pretty well. I have also been toying with a 4-2-2-2 narrow 2DMs but I tend to default to the 4-3-3. I've been developing the youngsters who start the club and poaching newgens from around Brazil, as well as a few from South and central America.

The matches in Brazil come thick and fast. Like, EXTREMELLY frequent. I knew that from the FM18 save but its still shocking sometimes. 3 matches per week isn't abnormal. 4 matches in a week happens. I started the save in January 2018. In mid-January, the state league kicks off. It runs to roughly mid-April. The number of matches depends on the state and how many clubs participate. In Mineiro, its 12 clubs so the league has 11 matches, then a playoff. The actual Serie A starts in May and runs to December. 20 clubs and play each other twice so 38 matches. It finishes in early December. There is a one month break in the summer. There is also the Brazilian Cup, which is two-legs for the most part. Then there is continental competition - the Copa Libertadores is similar to the Champions League but runs February to December, with qualifier matches (we get to skip those), a group stage, and two legged knockouts. The Copa Sudamericana is similar to the Europa League but also has a similar schedule to the Libertadores, but its a straight knockout. At the end of 2019, we also had the World Club Cup so the "break" between seasons was a week and a half to the end of December, and we then had about 10 days at the start of January for a "pre-season". Think I hit 150 matches of competitive football sometime in the 2019 season.

The state league is interesting, because the clubs range from Campeonato Serie A clubs like us, Cruzeiro, and America MG and down to semi-pro clubs. Its pretty stupid in real life - some of the matches are played on what is little more than farmers fields with lines, and it can be Brazil's top young prospects out there getting kicked by amateur players. But in FM, its fairly fun. Dropping 8 or 9 goals in a competitive match does wonders for the morale and that carries into the season and it really gets the ball rolling.

The tactic is really nothing special. Its the 4-3-3 gegenpress template and I haven't even tweaked the roles or Team Instructions. It uses a Sweeper Keeper, two Ball Playing Central Defenders, two Complete Wingbacks, a Deep Lying Playmaker DM, two hard-working central mids (Box to Box and Carrilero), both attacking wingers are Inside Forwards, and a Pressing Forward. The 4-2-2-2 was also created using the Gegenpress template but the roles it provided were more generic so I've been working to tweak them. But the 4-3-3 is so potent that I keep backburnering it.

With both tactics, the fullbacks are pretty important. And Mineiro have good options there. Two of the best prospects at the club are Hulk (LB) and Emerson Royal (RB). There are veteran backups at both spots and two midfielders who can cover one of each flank. Hulk and Royal have progressed very well, and both now have Brazil caps (since I got the manager job there, a first for me). Both have been wanted by European clubs for awhile. I just took in 25m from Barcelona for Hulk at the start of 2020. Anticipating it, I grabbed two newgen Brazilian LBs. Didn't mean to buy both, but it worked out well. They are behind where Hulk was in terms of development, but are younger and have more potential. Selling on young talent is pretty much just part of managing in Brazil and I don't expect to see young prospects to their full development very often. But Hulk was the first pretty big sale. I lost my veteran goalkeeper to Man United in the summer of 2018 but at 34 years old, he didn't bring in much.

One cool thing about managing in Brazil is that all players have domestic release clauses. They are limited in value until the player can sign full professional terms at 18. The first pro contract generally has fairly low release clauses - a couple million at most, and agents ALWAYS limit it. Once they are 19-20 and in or near the first team, it tends to go up. But by scouting heavily and seeking out top prospects, you can keep securing 17-18 year old 5 star players for like 2m max. And the sheer number of matches means the kids get matches and develop and its fucking fun.

The most recent full patch seems to have tweaked the newgen generation. There are no more 5-star first day newgens generated anymore. The United States does fill up with 5 star monsters from all over Europe. But slightly more obscure nations seem to be getting more quality ones. I have or have deals for 4-5 star newgens from El Salvador (2 of em), Bolivia (also 2) and Costa Rica. One of my top youngsters is an Ecuadorian defender. I love those obscure-nation newgens.

So just starting the 2020 season. One relative big change is the lack of oldheads. Brazil is similar to most South American nations - there are very few players of quality in their primes in the league. You will find few 24-30 year olds who are good, all-around players. They will be one-dimensional, flawed, or possibly from smaller South American nations. There are plenty of oldheads. Mid to late 30s players, many of whom are back from Europe and some of whom stayed in South America through their whole careers. They are great for mentoring, often team leaders, but tend to lack physicals and are highly paid. The combination of long contracts and declining abiity can be problematic. It was especially concerning since the tactical approach is pretty physical and intense. By the end of 2019, Leo Silva had 3 pace and I was still running him out occasionally with a very high defensive line. Miniero start with quite a few oldheads - Leo Silva (central defender, captain), Ricardo Oliveira (striker, played with Milan, Villarreal, etc), Elias (central mid), Fabio Santos (fullback), and Victor (goalkeeper). I lost Victor to Man United. Oliveira and Silva announced the intent to retire at the end of 2019 early in the year. That usually means they stop worrying about their playing time. But nope - they kept getting concerned if I sat em for more than a few matches. Elias announced his retirement mid-year, and Santos waited until nearer to the end of the year. And to avoid upsetting the squad dynamics, I gave them all enough matches to stay happy. But I was selective, putting them in easy matches against opponents without my physical presence. I guess it worked. So heading into the new season without any of them. But I also worry that I'm a bit lacking in veteran leadership and good mentors. Will have to try to find some.

The only thing I regret on the save is resorting to using Instant Result a bit too much. I've gone in spells. But its hella fun and a very different place to manage. After being offered the Brazil job, it got even more interesting. I haven't done international management in a LONG time and can't say it would make for a fun save on its own. But its fun giving caps to my own youngsters.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

FM is fucking creepy sometimes. One of the stars of my Mineiro save was a RB named Emerson Royal. The Gegenpress makes heavy use of the wide defenders so they got kickass ratings on a regular basis. In season 2, I got a big offer for him from Barcelona and off he went.

Yesterday I saw a story that a defender named Emerson had moved from Atletico Mineiro to Barcelona. Yup, same player. Fucking weird.

I left that Mineiro save halfway thru season 3. Was going well and got to manage the Brazil national team, which was the first time I've done international management for a LONG time. But the process of getting poached by European clubs gets frustrating when the players demand to move when an asshole English club like Chelsea make a derisory offer. Completely accept that players are just a commodity to be sold when you are playing somewhere like Brazil, but offering me 3/4 value for a 20 year old wonderkid with Brazil national team caps is.... shit.

So haven't really found a save since. Looked at Mexico but not feeling it right now. Looked at a couple of clubs in Spain. Want to try Germany and The Netherlands, as they are both leagues I've enjoyed a lot in the past, but can't settle on a club in either league. So ended up looking at Italy.

A lot of footie fans around my age in England have a soft spot for Serie A and Italian clubs because it was the worlds best league with the worlds best players from the late 80s through almost all of the 1990s, and they showed highlights on TV. That's way before my time, but that nostalgia from those fans honestly impacted my view of the league when I first really got into footie in the mid 00s. I really only got to watch EPL and Champions League back then, so when I got to see clubs from elsewhere in Europe, it was usually the top ones, full of great players. And with Italy, I used to buy a Serie A specific magazine, all color, that fed into that. So I kinda have a soft spot for Italian clubs too.

But.... I don't really have a favorite. I like Roma and Fiorentina. Atalanta are super-interesting. Torino are appealing for their history. Parma, Sampdoria... Roma seem too big to start and I didn't wanna go down to Serie B, so I looked at Atalanta. Great academy, loads of prospects, and some money to spend. But.... they actually have too many prospects. So many 4-star guys, and then I went and added another handful. So I decided to try with Fiorentina instead. Not as many of those, plus some great youngsters in the first team. Like Alban LaFont, the best young goalkeeper in the game. They also have several young Serbians that I had on saves in older FMs.

My biggest concern is whether I want to deviate from the tactical approach I've used so far. Been using a gegenpress 4-3-3 and its been fun. Very successful. The football isn't always the prettiest but it does create some nice moments. And it fits a hard-working side like Fiorentina pretty well. It doesn't necessarily dominate possession that well, because the front three tend to be too attacking. But.... Italy tends to offer different tactical approaches. Lots of defending deep with 2 and 3 DMs. I might have to find another approach to work, or at least transition to something else within matches.

Don't know if this will be a save that gives me a few seasons, but I'm enjoying it so far.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

I’m Not Booked!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    So ended up looking at Italy.

A lot of footie fans around my age in England have a soft spot for Serie A and Italian clubs because it was the worlds best league with the worlds best players from the late 80s through almost all of the 1990s, and they showed highlights on TV. That's way before my time, but that nostalgia from those fans honestly impacted my view of the league when I first really got into footie in the mid 00s. I really only got to watch EPL and Champions League back then, so when I got to see clubs from elsewhere in Europe, it was usually the top ones, full of great players. And with Italy, I used to buy a Serie A specific magazine, all color, that fed into that. So I kinda have a soft spot for Italian clubs too.
    I ALWAYS do Serie A on FM, entirely because of Football Italia. We didn’t have Sky growing up, so the only live football I’d see was Italian. Basically every game I’ll build my way up until I’m an elite coach, then move to Italy with the intention of turning it back in to the best league in the world. Often end up at AC or Inter, as both tend to dive by the time I move there and therefore it’s a rebuilding job (plus Milan is one of my favourite cities and I’ve been to the San Siro half a dozen times). It’s crazy that I still view Italy as the holy grail destination just because I watched a TV show 20 something years ago.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Keefmoon View Post
    I ALWAYS do Serie A on FM, entirely because of Football Italia. We didn’t have Sky growing up, so the only live football I’d see was Italian. Basically every game I’ll build my way up until I’m an elite coach, then move to Italy with the intention of turning it back in to the best league in the world. Often end up at AC or Inter, as both tend to dive by the time I move there and therefore it’s a rebuilding job (plus Milan is one of my favourite cities and I’ve been to the San Siro half a dozen times). It’s crazy that I still view Italy as the holy grail destination just because I watched a TV show 20 something years ago.
    I don't think its crazy. Or even all that weird. The things that are special to use when we are growing up tend to maintain a special place in our hearts.

Its not quite the same, but I grew up in the 80s and the Soviet Union was always the "big bad". Almost every action movie, many comic books, and some of the books I read had the USSR as the antagonists, at least to some degree. Because of that, Russia and Eastern Europe as a whole has always fascinated me as an adult.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

ʕノ•ᴥ•ʔノ ︵ ┻━┻

Status
      Country                    Norfolk Island

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    But.... I don't really have a favorite. I like Roma and Fiorentina. Atalanta are super-interesting. Torino are appealing for their history. Parma, Sampdoria... Roma seem too big to start and I didn't wanna go down to Serie B, so I looked at Atalanta. Great academy, loads of prospects, and some money to spend. But.... they actually have too many prospects. So many 4-star guys, and then I went and added another handful. So I decided to try with Fiorentina instead. Not as many of those, plus some great youngsters in the first team. Like Alban LaFont, the best young goalkeeper in the game. They also have several young Serbians that I had on saves in older FMs.
    Do Udine.

About the interest in eastern Europe, BP. Have you ever tried Hungary or Romania for a Save? Two nations with a big, glorious history, that are basically nothing worth anymore...

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Baloocha View Post
    Do Udine.

About the interest in eastern Europe, BP. Have you ever tried Hungary or Romania for a Save? Two nations with a big, glorious history, that are basically nothing worth anymore...
    I used to quite like Udinese's youth policy. But now it seems a bit... murky lol

I actually tend to manage in Russia quite frequently. Done Ukraine a few times too. But a lot of other eastern European countries and former Soviet block nations... I've looked at but find certain things just too limiting. Recreating the Mighty Magyars would be cool. Or going even further back and trying to recreate the Austrian glory era of the 1930s. But its no easy process.

I think I started up with Steaua Bucharest at one point, but the weird shit the owner has pulled.... nah.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

Fun story cuz why not.

I started up with Fiorentina. Had a couple targets in mind. I used the Russian league start date in early June so there is like a month to get thru before the players even start training. The best player Fiorentina has is a versatile Italian winger by the name of Federico Chiesa. He starts as a wonderkid and fringe Italian national team player. I've seen him move to the big EPL clubs for like 60-80m. I expect to lose him after the first season but he should be wicked in my tactic.

Then Chelsea - FUCK CHELSEA - comes in with a for-value bid. 20m for a wonderkid winger worth 20m. And a locked bid, so I can't negotiate. Right. I say no, he freaks and hands in a transfer request. Awesome. Arsenal offer something like 40m. I negotiate it up to 61m - 50m up front, another 10m over time. So while waiting for him to accept a contract, I make an offer of 25m flat for Domenico Berardi, a similar Italian winger who is 23. They accept. Contract time. His agent asks for more promises than I've ever seen, and then asks for 180K per week. My scout figured on it being about 100K per week, which is the max I could offer. The agent walks away almost immediately

I rage quit at that point.

I've complained on the SI board about this sequence. Clubs, typically big clubs with LOADS of money, will make a locked offer for a player. When its turned down, they are immediately unsettled and want to leave. Now this process is logical and I do it myself. The problem I have is that very frequently, the initial club that made the offer does not then follow up to try to actually buy the unsettled player. Which makes the first steps completely useless and just being the AI being dickbags.

Anyway, I went back after the rage quit and had saved just a couple of days before. I decided to go after Cristian Pavon instead. Another good young winger, who is at Boca. I had him at Leicester on FM18 after Mahrez left. I offered 15m (10m+5m) and they came back asking for 18m (10m+5m). I then made offers for two younger wingers, both whom were key players for me with the Blackburn save - Xadas and Antonio Marin. And then for shits and giggles, I figured I would try for Berardi again. I offered 20m flat this time and they accepted. His agent didn't ask for any weird promises and they accepted 105K per week. So now I lost my one superstar winger and replaced him with two almost-as-good ones and two more who will develop into superstars. That's awesome.... but I also now have a glut of wingers.

I have a bad habit of using Instant Result, so was trying to avoid it on this save. Played all the friendlies. Won the first two Serie A matches of the season. Second one was Inter, which was a good win. Third match is away to Napoli. I started the match and went to do something. Come back at halftime and we are down 2-0 and playing AWFUL. So I yell at them, make 2 changes and start the 2nd half. We score. We score again. Great comeback. Second half is ticking away. I was tempted to switch up the tactics to something less pressing, more time-wasting, but I don't. 4 minutes of added time. It goes, but the game continues. In the 95 1/ 2 minute, one of their defenders clips a 40 yard pass that lands right on the two of Dries Mertens, who is on a free run because my defender hasn't moved at all. Goal. Match.

Rage quit.

I go back again, and used Instant Result. Its weird hoping the outcome isn't win or draw, since that's fucking lame. But we lost the "replay" 2-1 and I went on. Won a few more. Lost to Roma. But we are 9 matches into the Serie A season and we are sitting top. Juventus have been shite - they often are early in the first season, to be honest. The goal is to make it into Europe - and even the Europa League would be fine. So I don't expect this to last.

But I'm a bit annoyed about having too many wingers. And it seems tougher than normal to keep the backups match fit. I haven't rotated the squad tons, and the veteran backups are having to use reserve matches to retain fitness. That's typical. But it seems like more of them are losing fitness fast - I'm wondering if the reserve side has a limit on how many "overage" players can play in a match...?

Last night, I started trolling thru other Serie A clubs and ended up taking a hard look at Genoa. Never run them. They've always seemed like one of those classy clubs that has talent. They have a handful of titles but from a century ago, or more. They are a clear step down from Fiorentina, but still have some talent and some prospects. Problem with trying a save with them is that Piatek got sold to Milan this window, so they have spent some money. So I could wait til the winter update comes out (a month away), use the starting DB (likely), or find or do an update. The problem with the last one isn't so much that I lose Piatek - he's good and would do well in the tactical system I tend to use - but that the club got 25m for him and its always a crapshoot to figure out how much should go into the club. So data updates don't bother with financial adjustments - which I get, but its annoying. So not sure what I want to do. Which is typical.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

The ai are horrible for unsettling players and then just leaving. Though in fairness I do it all the time for shits and giggles to disrupt teams I hate. Or even teams I'm playing in the near future

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

30 Days of WC Member's Choice - Coming Soon - PM me match suggestions

Shock Reviews Archive

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    The ai are horrible for unsettling players and then just leaving. Though in fairness I do it all the time for shits and giggles to disrupt teams I hate. Or even teams I'm playing in the near future
    I'm not saying I am above that. But at least it still services some kind of purpose lol.

I think the part that annoys me the most is that when I've posted about it on the SI forum, the Devs have ignored it and other gamers have been like "it totally make sense, because its part of the transfer process". No sir, it does not when there is no follow up bid.

On FM18 (I think), I had a save with Lokomotiv Moscow where I targeted a Russian GK who plays in Switzerland. He wouldn't leave right away but I figured he would be a long-term target so I started to unsettle him right away. Declared interest in the media, had some low bids shot down, got him unsettled. Then I had a 5-star newgen GK come thru in the first youth intake so fuck that. And for the next 2 seasons, a "transfer saga" rattled on where he kept issuing "come get me pleas" and fighting with his manager about a move that I no longer had any interest in. Oops sorry.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

So got rolling with a save with Genoa. Wanted to do a save in Italy but wanted something a bit more challenging than Fiorentina or Atalanta. Not sure why I picked Genoa. They have some young talent, they have a couple of quite good players, and they have quite a number of veterans. I am into December of the first season and its going well. Sitting in 4th and have been in first just a few matches ago. Finishing anywhere in the top six would be awesome. Top seven would put us into Europe. Really, our expectations were mid-table so hitting Europe would be great. Genoa was a pretty random choice - they haven't been a well run club for a long time, but they have a bit of an aura to me in the same way that a lot of Italian clubs do, but they aren't chock full of great prospects. That was actually the issue I had with Atalanta, as weird as that sounds.

I really don't love the squad as it starts. They have Piatek, the out-of-nowhere Polish striker who has actually moved to Milan in the winter window for 40m and has been absolutely fucking brilliant for them. They have Miguel Veloso, a former FM overpowered DM who is still quite good. They have Sandro, who used to be a Spur. Three of their best prospects are GKs (including Radu, who is joining from Juventus for 9m). They have way too many older players who are on big contracts that still run for several years, but who are declining. The annoying problem I'm running into is that I have declining players with squad status of like Rotation who are complaining about playing time. Like, a lot of them. And I am actually rotating less and playing the young players less than I typically would.

If I keep going long enough with the save, I think I will be clearing out a lot of the veterans in the summer, although I'm not sure how much value a declining 32 year old defender will have, for example.

I was tempted to use a data update before I started the save, but decided against it. It wasn't so much that I was desperate to keep Piatek (he's done well, but not really been our best player) but that those data updates typically don't update the finances. And a 40m sale has a pretty big impact. so I'm playing this until the actual winter data update drops sometime in the next couple of weeks. Then.... I dunno...

Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

FM story time....

So the Genoa save I mentioned above.... I knew it wasn't going to go long. The data update comes out around the end of February now, along with the winter patch, and I figured I would be starting something new on the new data. Still ended up being quite the interesting ride.

Expectation is mid-table. I figured we could end up in Europe. Likely the Europa League, possibly the Champions League. Basically I figured on dropping points against the bigger sides and trying to consistently get wins against sides outside the top ten. That's generally how it worked out - only dropped a few points against "lesser sides" and managed to take a couple of unexpected results against bigger teams, but nothing with consistency. I have really started to realize how much the schedule plays into success, since squad morale management means so much now. If you are lucky enough to get a run of "winnable" matches and do just that, morale takes a huge boost and that really helps when you start dropping matches here and there. Conversely, if you get a run of really hard fixtures, it murders the squad morale, and then even winnable matches mixed into a run of tough ones become much tougher goes. Juventus started really slow as they often do, and we were actually top of the table for a bit, then both Juventus and some of the other big sides picked up around mid-season and we slid a bit.

By the three quarter point, we were well behind Juventus - well, we were close to them on points but they always had 2 or 3 matches at hand. but we started to build a lead above Milan, Inter, and Lazio for 2nd. Last 4 matches and Juventus have a decent but not huge lead. We have 1 tough match and 3 relatively easy ones (although the likes of Sassuolo aren't truly "easy"). Home match to Napoli. We lose 2-1. Rage quit.

It wasn't the fact that we lost - as mentioned, I generally expect to lose against a bigger side. I used Instant Result rather than played the match (bad). The match was one we dominated and lost on errors, according to the media. We got FM'd - it happens. But apparently all of the errors were by my RB, who was our highest AVR thru the season and is generally solid defensively. He decided to turn into Mustafi. Ended with the lowest match rating I've seen on FM19 - 5.2 or something. But my AssMan just left him to make more errors. My fault for using Instant Result. But it pissed me off and I wasn't even really in the mood to play.

Problem is that on the replay, we won 3-1. I was tempted to try again and shoot for a loss where its not one player uncharacteristically losing us the match all on his own, or at least a draw. I didn't, because Juve were far enough ahead and 2nd was pretty much locked up. No real difference.

Except Juve are dropping points. They lose to Inter, then draw. I don't think they won any of their last four. And after the mulligan, we won all of them. Final match day, we thump Sassulo and end up winning the Serie A title.

And I can't celebrate it or enjoy it at all. That mulligan kills any legitimacy it had. finishing 2nd I would have felt good about, given the strength difference in the squads. But this.... nope...

Might have killed the save if it already wasn't going to die with the data update. Weird.

Not sure on the next save. Leaning towards Blackburn again.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

R.I.P. Lionheart

Status
    Tannadice Park, Now Residing at The Emirates
      Country                    Scotland

So is the save getting completely corrupted a regular thing with FM? It's happened to me twice now in FM18 during a Minnesota save and a Hearts save after a year.

R.I.P. Lionheart
    17/12/1982-19/06/2019

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Chaddes View Post
    So is the save getting completely corrupted a regular thing with FM? It's happened to me twice now in FM18 during a Minnesota save and a Hearts save after a year.
    Generally, no.

The only time I've had it happen in the last few versions is saves where I had used editor files to add additional leagues.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

So I manage in some kinda weird places. Russia has become on of my favorites, and my go-to club there is Lokomotiv Moscow. I've grown to support them as a second club in real life, and they won the title last year. I was trying to find a post-update save and was tempted to go back to Blackburn, but that didn't snap for me. So looked at Germany and The Netherlands but couldn't find the right club. So decided it was time for Loko.

If you've never managed in Russia, its an interesting league. The winter break is from mid-December to early-March, so the season has this huge gap. The top clubs, the ones you tend to see in Europe, are pretty good quality. They are probably lower Prem in average quality. They are rich, have all the best Russian players, and typically have some really good players from South America or Eastern Europe. But the bottom-level clubs in the league are barely League One caliber - its quite a gap. And they are dirt poor. The riches for the top clubs tend to come from sponsorships and European competition monies. Not uncommon to see Spartak or Lokomotiv get 30-50m to spend a couple of seasons in. There are no actual foreign player restrictions, but you can only have 6 foreign players on the pitch at the same time. You can recruit from anywhere, and in volume if you want. But you need to have some pretty good Russian players, too. And that can get tough, since the biggest clubs will hoard them.

Started up with Lokomotiv. They have 2m to spend to start, so not much. Got in a couple young strikers. I was going to bring in Xadas (the Portugese AMC who can play either attacking wing position) and bid, but decided against it since I've had him in several saves. He became a great player in all of them, but variety and all of that. I gradually realized how old the squad is. I could probably put out a starting 11 entirely of 30 or over players. The starting ST and LB are later 20s, as it one of the three CBs. The Miranchuk twins are early 20s and really good, and Barinov is like 21 and fairly solid. The youth system doesn't have a lot - almost all of them lack the potential to be anything more than depth players. So I was starting to plan a pretty big rebuild of the club. Getting a chunk of money in the summer of 2019 would help. Doesn't help that there aren't a huge amount of sellable assets at the club except the Russian players that I need to keep. Into the preseason, one of the best players - Manuel Fernandes - decided he wanted to return to Portugal so I agreed to sell him.

Generally I can tell pretty early into a save if I'm going to get emotionally invested. And this one didn't really grab me, but I stuck with it. We were doing well in the league, but drew a tough Champions League group - Manchester United, Monaco, and AEK.

Most exciting moment of the save was the final Champions League Group Stage matchday in December. United had already qualified and we travelled to Monaco. Equal on points and goal difference. Drew them in Moscow. So winner takes all. I was pretty much resigned to going into the Europa League. But pulled out a 3-1 win in Monaco. Glorious.

Then the winter break took forever. The winter window in Russia is actually in February, not January. So I get thru most of the January, waiting to get money to spend. We have 30m in the bank and just qualified for the Champions League knockouts. But nothing. Late January, I get the option to amend season expectations, which gets me a princely 500K to spend. BUT.... my bid for Xadas at the start of the save unsettled him and he just got Transfer Listed. 450K. I have enough. Put in a bid, get the contract settled... but its taking a weirdly long time for him to accept. Like a week. Its late January and the window is about to close thru the rest of Europe. Then Watford make a bid and the next time I hit continue, they've agreed a contract and he's joined them. WTF? I am the sads.

Then I see Roma snapping up the Serbian defender I was going to target in the summer.

Its okay. Its fine. I should focus on securing some quality Russian players first. There is a GK at Sion and a RB at Vitesse. The RB, Vyacheslav Karavayev, is my biggest target for the summer. I have only one rightback in the squad, and he's 31 years old and a convert winger. He's been ever present for me and one of the top rated players in the squad, but he's about to start declining. Karavayev is really good and he usually moves in the summer 2019 window for somewhere under 10m.

Then Zenit sign him.

Time for the youth intake. Maybe the football Gods will smile upon me and deliver a wonderkid newgen RB. Or not. Got a 4-star prospect- yay! An MC, which means he is more depth at the one position I'm already strong with Russian players at. Less yay.

I had two players who wanted to leave - the previously mentioned Fernandes and veteran Russian Tarasov. I offered both out repeatedly and for very little money thru the window. No takes. Both are unhappy that they weren't sold. The message I get about Fernandes literally says that he appreciates significant efforts were made to sell him.... but he is still FURIOUS at me and won't talk to me anymore. Okay then.

By this point, I am firmly planning the next save, but I have a weird need to at least see out the season at Loko. The first knockout round of the CL starts before the RPL season resumes, so that's a bit weird. We drew Galatasaray, which is a comparatively easy draw when you look at the big clubs. We get through, but its 1-0 and 1-1, so not exactly smashing our way through. Next round... Manchester City.

Fuck me.

First leg goes better than anticipated - 2-2 draw in Moscow. Then we get belted 4-1 in Manchester and we're done. But the league is still going well and that's great, I guess.

A few matches into the second half of the season, we have an international break and I get a weird message. My ONLY RB, Vladislav Ignatyev, is apparently "FURIOUS at me" for barely playing him and costing him a call up to the National Team, and probably thereby ending his NT career. Except he does play constantly. CONSTANTLY. Like 7 or 8 competitive matches in a row. Had to rotate him in late November and early December, because his fitness was down in the low 80s or even high 70s. Literally no idea what would keep the guy happy. Player interactions feel so buggy sometimes.

Closed out the season, got the massive sum of 18m to spend, since we only have 40m in the bank. I was tempted to go a bit further, see if the new sponsorship deals gave me any more cash. But no point. Weird series of events that made on my regular favorite clubs and saves be very forgettable. Gonna head back to Brazil and do Atletico Mineiro again. Got annoyed there last time at clubs in Europe offering pittances for star wonderkids, not following up once they unsettled the player, and the player demanding to be allowed to leave for almost nothing. I realize that has not been solved, but....
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

I posted a mountain of text about my previous save with Atletico Mineiro, and this one isn't really rolling yet. But fuck it.... some same-day double-posty goodness here.

Once I realized that Loko wasn't going to last beyond the first season, I started mulling the options. Managing in England was out the window almost immediately - even if I started lower, I just don't really enjoy the Prem once you get there as its the same mega-rich clubs hoarding talent and picking you apart. A similar dynamic made staying in Europe a bit less appealing - even if you start a level or two down, you get up, you start to do well, you play in Europe, and you are facing the same group of clubs. I haven't ventured to Asia yet and wasn't feeling that, so either South America or Mexico. MLS got a cursory consideration. Mexico is one I haven't done properly on FM19 yet and definitely, but the club I enjoy most there - Lobos BUAP - were plagued by some funky financial issues on FM18 and I'm not certain if those are solved yet so decided to leave it. South America it is. Anywhere in South America is basically a talent development save as you will lose your top stars. I considered going back to Colombia. I considered trying Argentina, but I couldn't find a club that I liked enough about. So its back to Brazil and Atletico Mineiro.

I explained last time, but Brazil has a really funky setup. They have state championships starting in mid-January and running into May. Then the Brasileiro starts and runs through the end of the year. A lot of South American uses a split season (aperture, closure) but Brazil is a straight 38 match season. There is a gap in June, which I thought was just in 2018 to accommodate the World Cup, but it appears to happen every year.

So a few asides about the league and club. When I started to learn more about football in Brazil, I was surprised by how much parity there was. The league only dates back to 1959, and they just had state leagues before that due to the size and infrastructure of the country. But no club has won the league more than 10 times. some of the biggest names have only won it a handful. Santos are recognizable because of Pele, but they've only won the league twice since the 1960s. Flamengo have only won it 5 times, and once in the past 25 years. Parity. You have clubs that have had as much or more success continentally - Mineiro have 1 league title and 1 Copa Libertadores win, while Gremio have 2 league titles and 3 Copa Libertadores titles.

Atletico Mineiro was from Belo Horizonte, which is a lovely city in the southeast, not far from the coast. Its the 6th largest city but the third largest metropolitan area in Brazil. I've started to learn a bit about the city itself and its pretty cool. Mineiro are a really big club despite not having a ton of trophies aside from a huge amount of state league titles. They are in the process of building a brand new stadium and have a training ground that is rated amongst the best in South America. They are a reasonably rich club for South America.

As mentioned, any save in South America is a talent development save. I've seen save reports where someone is running a club like Boca, winning everything, banking hundreds of millions, and can successfully turn back 100m bids from the likes of PSG for their stars. But that takes a long time to build toward. Generally, when European clubs come in for your stars, you are going to lose them. Either the board accepts or the player causes a fuss. So I generally try to approach it knowing that's going to happen, and always have someone ready to take over the spot. At least Mineiro don't have to worry about being poached by other clubs in South America. My previous Mineiro save ended because I got frustrated at European clubs making locked bids cursory bids and then not following up, and then the player being upset. Like a midfielder we paid 5m for, getting a 3m bid a year later that can't be negotiated, and then the player demanding he should be able to leave for 2m. So the goal is to get reasonable amounts for the players and keep churning through.

An upside to Brazil is that every player has a domestic release clause. When they are still on youth terms, its locked - I think the amount of is $350K. It gets upped when they sign a pro deal, but its usually still fairly reasonable. It will get jacked up to like 40m if they are a top prospect when they get their second pro contract, if they are getting first team time. So if there is money to spend (and selling on talent means there is) and you are scouting around, you will always be finding 4/5 prospects you can snap up.

Another factor.... one of the pre-winter-patch mini-updates tweaked newgens. Good and bad. The game no longer generates first-day newgens of any real quality. There would often be some 5-star ones generated as free agents, so yeah, that makes sense to nerf. But it also seems like certain areas produce more quality newgens. On my last few saves, some of the smaller South American nations have spit out some 5-star newgens. Like Ecuador and Bolivia. Also places like Costa Rica. Which is great, because those are markets I will be looking to exploit heavily.

So what's different this go-round?

Well, the squad has changed. One or two veterans added. The prospects are less numerous. Several 4-star youngsters are now just 3 star and unlikely to develop into much for the club. The two fullbacks who were tactically key in my last save are both gone - one is gone to Barcelona and the other nerfed to the point he won't get a look in. But we have about 4.5m to spend so I will look to steal 4-5 young prospects from other Brazilian clubs and load up the system that way.

The other is that I started the last save at the earliest possible point - the start of the state league in January 2018. That... seemed to cause some funky things. This time, I chose the start of the Brasileiro in May as the start date. The state championship is almost over by the then.

I actually started the save up last night. Did the dirty work - setting up a shortlist, figuring out which staff to nerf and hiring some new ones. The quality of the staff in Brazil is quite high, which makes sense given the quality of players the country produces on a constant basis. the game actually sims what happens from January of 2018, so the state championship was simmed.... and we still have to play the second leg of the final against arch rivals Cruzeiro. We are in the Copa Sudamericana and have the second leg against Defensa y Justica of Argentina. I think we already out of the Copa Brazil, but that just reduces the fixture congestion a bit so its not such a bad thing.

The other thing I want to change is tactics. Basically since FM19 launched, I've been using the same basic 4-3-3 gegenpress. It fits every club and it works. But I actually downloaded a set of tactics just to try something different. Uses some things I haven't in a long time or ever, like two strikers and Inside Wingbacks. Quite looking forward to getting sunk into the save, if you can't tell by this wall of text.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Thread Information