Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ed Reviews Everything

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Re: Ed Reviews Everything

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    Absolutely amazing match.

While I slightly prefer the Bayley vs Sasha Ironman and I think Bayley vs Sasha from Brooklyn is one of the best matches of the last ten years in WWE, I think this is the first women's match in WWE history I would describe as being legitimately great. It feels like it changed everything for women's wrestling in terms of what we could reasonably expect from one in WWE. I still put this as the third best women's match in WWE ever.

Though as much as I love orange-haired Becky, I do miss brunette Becky.
    In what may be an unpopular opinion Bayley/Sasha fron NXT Brooklyn I is imo the greatest NXT match to date (even better that Neville/Zayn, Cesaro/Zayn matches & 2018 Gargano). Its an absolute masterpiece in storytelling and helped solidify the though pattern that women 100% can be more than just piss breaks and if given the chance can not only produce good stuff, but can product MOTN/MOTY quality stuff that some men could only dream of. Like Ed said I really want a ME Sasha heel run just so we can see some of that again.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Quote Originally Posted by CGS View Post
    In what may be an unpopular opinion Bayley/Sasha fron NXT Brooklyn I is imo the greatest NXT match to date (even better that Neville/Zayn, Cesaro/Zayn matches & 2018 Gargano). Its an absolute masterpiece in storytelling and helped solidify the though pattern that women 100% can be more than just piss breaks and if given the chance can not only produce good stuff, but can product MOTN/MOTY quality stuff that some men could only dream of. Like Ed said I really want a ME Sasha heel run just so we can see some of that again.
    I agree totally. Best NXT match ever for me as well.

Heel Sasha is too good.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

30 Days of WC Member's Choice - Coming Soon - PM me match suggestions

Shock Reviews Archive

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

Bayley vs Sasha was excellent but nothing beats Zayn vs Nevile IMO. However, I do think its better than Gargano vs Almas so there is that.

Scumbag Role Model

Status
      Country                    United States

Becky vs Sasha was probably the first match where I began to take what the WWE was pushing seriously. Great match.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

Relentless Admin

Status

Speaking of Sasha/Bayley (apologies to Shock, this is the last NXT match for a while I'll review, I had to watch this again after all the comments on it)

August 22nd 2015
    Sasha Banks Vs Bayley - NXT Takeover Brooklyn

The biggest night in NXT's history to date. When you go from an attendance of 400-500 in Full Sail Arena, to over 15,000 in a traditional arena WWE runs it's shows, you can't help but feel like you're in for a special night as NXT goes big time. Perhaps the only fans that weren't in favour of the upgrade in environment were the loyal/bitter (delete as appropriate) Full Sail fans who now had to share in the joys of a NXT live network special, but they weren't forgotten about as the Brooklyn crowd chanted 'FULL-SAIL SUCKS' to the tune of New Day Rocks throughout the evening. It was a night that saw Japanese wrestling legend Jushin 'Thunder' Liger and Dragon Gate alumni Uhaa Nation make two very different debuts in the company (Kana, later Asuka technically made her first appearance as well), Triple H announced NXT's very first international tour to the UK, The Vaudevillians won the Tag Team Titles as the quality of that division started to improve and Finn Balor saw off Kevin Owens in a ladder match in the main event. However with all that good stuff, the show was stolen by the women's title match yet again as Bayley won the title from Sasha Banks in an unforgettable match.

The production guys at WWE knock it out the park again with this one. It was all about the Four Horsewomen of NXT and how three of them, Charlotte, Becky and Sasha, had all been recently called up to the main roster and left Bayley behind in NXT. Tremendous shots of Bayley fading out of a 4 Horsewomen picture like Marty McFly and his siblings in Back To The future while the wacky waving inflatable arm waving tube men deflate to Bayley's music slowing down and dying. Top draw stuff. Charlotte and Becky were previously friends of Bayley's but sold out and betrayed her in order to get to the top, their strategy worked and now it was Bayley's time to step up her game up in the ring and win the big matches she previously fell short in as she lacked that ruthless streak. On the road to Brooklyn, Bayley beat Charlotte and Becky Lynch in singles matches to mentally get over those previous roadhumps in her career, a little like Sami Zayn's road to redemption before facing Adrian Neville in late 2014. Now the biggest challenge to date lay in front of her, the final horsewoman, Sasha Banks. Given how likeable Bayley is, it allowed Sasha to tap into that bitch side of The Boss and really shine as a heel. She wanted to teach a lesson to every like girl who is a Bayley fan that fairytales don't come true, just because Bayley dreams of being the NXT Champion doesn't mean she's actually good enough to beat her. Forget gender for a moment, it's so great to have a program where the heart of it is that sports like feel of becoming a champion; too often titles are treated as props used by lazy writers to bundle together another match for a 3 hour show, but in 2015 especially the NXT Women's Championship was booked like the holy grail and winning it was the crowning achievement of your career. Bayley has the adoration of the fans, but as sweet as that is, it isn't enough for her and it shouldn't be enough for any professional wrestler. The #1 goal should always be shooting for the top championship title you can, and for Bayley she is determined to not let this latest opportunity at the belt slip her by and not to disappoint her fans, friends and family again. As for the champion Sasha, she may of achieved her lifetime goal of being a WWE Superstar on Raw, Smackdown and pay-per-views, but being the NXT Champion is something she's damn proud of, it's the piece of evidence that validates her own self-hype and is willing to work double duty in order to keep the belt around her waist.

Long story short, everyone wants to see Bayley win the title because she's adorable, relatable and the most natural babyface in the entire industry, and when you pair her up against the heel champion who is a superstar in her own right and has put on some impressive matches in the last few Takeover's, you've got the most anticipated women's wrestling match in a long damn time.

Bayley came to the ring wearing a polka dot Dusty Rhodes hairband in tribute as if it wasn't obvious enough she was winning. Sasha Banks was driven into the arena in a Escalade, surrounded by her four man Security team; like I said before, Sasha is a star and her entrance illustrated that. In a way it almost feels like female Flair vs female Dusty. Bayley brought that new aggression and maturity in her performances right from the start of the match, and caught Sasha with a nice tree of woe elbow drop. Sasha made her comeback and displayed her condescending attitude towards Bayley, memorably mocking the wacky waving (I'm not writing the rest out again) men before slapping her. These little touches of personality when working the crowd is what helps set Sasha apart from the pack. Bayley keeps avoiding the signature double knees in the corner spot of Sasha's, but with the night being a special one, it was all leading to the reveal of the double knees on the top rope spot. Truth be told it didn't look as impactful as off the middle rope. Sasha then moved onto working over the previously injured hand of Bayley, ripping off the protective cast and trapping it in between the steps and the apron and presumably crushing it by kicking the steps. A great idea to incorporate yet another obstacle in Bayley's journey. The first high spot of the match came with Bayley selling her injury outside the ring, and Sasha determined to steal the show dived over the top rope (and ref) onto her. That got the crowd popping. Bayley is aided in her comeback when she pushes Sasha off the top rope for a nasty looking bump to the floor. Sasha locks in the Banks Statement and as Bayley reaches out with her injured hand, Sasha viciously kicks out at it both to further the injury and prevent a rope break. In the moment I thought that was a glorious spot, and it was a glorious idea, it's just watching it back Sasha's foot clearly misses Bayley's hand on each attempt so the execution was lacking. Bayley ended up getting to the ropes and transitioned into a crossface of her own. Bayley then scoops Sasha back to her feet and instantly into a Bayley to Belly Suplex with a tight cover that gives the match it's first big nearfall. At this point the match is just getting more awesome with every spot. They go at it at the top rope, and Bayley seems to go for a frankensteiner but instead is shoved off by Sasha and she takes a really brutal bump on her head/neck. A pretty scary moment, but there was no time to dwell on it as Sasha came down on Bayley's neck from the top rope with the meteora knees for a nearfall. The match was getting more high risk and intense in the nearfalls, the finish had to be something special, and it certainly was. Both girls go to the top rope again and this time Bayley hits a reverse rana off the turnbuckle and follows up with the 2nd Bayley to Belly of the night. 1-2-3, Brooklyn goes mental. An unbelievable match that delivered on it's lofty anticipation.

Bayley almost seemed too exhausted from the battle to celebrate the victory fully, she wasn't over excited or jumping down for joy, more of a modest smile and the relief of finally getting this monkey off her back about losing her big title matches. Things picked up in energy when an overjoyed Charlotte and Becky Lynch entered the ring and hugged it out with Bayley. Then in a moment where kayfabe went out of the window, Sasha Banks re-entered the ring and embraced the other three ladies in a curtain call type tribute. They all gave the four horseman pose to the hard camera which was pretty cool to the fans, but must of been a great moment to them as well, the real pioneers of the womens evolution.

Does it make the list? - Without question it shoots to the top of the list. It's the best womens match in the companies history and yet I feel harsh saying that because regardless of gender it's an amazing match and right up there for MOTYC worldwide. The sight of over 15,000 fans in America being totally invested in a wrestling match between two women for almost 20 minutes is something I thought I'd never see.

Relentless Admin

Status

Happy Halloween

26th October 1997
    Eddy Guerrero Vs Rey Mysterio - Halloween Havoc 1997

This is a really tricky match to review because there's not a lot to say that hasn't been said before about it. It's wildly regarded as the best match to take place in WCW during the Monday Night Wars as well as the greatest cruiserweight match on American soil. It's two highly regarded wrestlers meeting at their physical peak and putting on a classic for a company that failed to take advantage of their world class talents. For Rey Mysterio especially it's a treat to watch him work any match that isn't his WWE house style where everything is quicker, moves are higher risk and all the cliche set ups for the 619 aren't there. It's almost like watching a different luchador all together and that makes everything feel more unpredictable. I can't imagine showing this match to anyone, even non-wrestling fans and them not being impressed by the athleticism, skill and flawless precision on show by both wrestlers here. Spots like the senton flip to the outside into the headscissors are so impressive and it's a match crammed full of them that competition for sequence of the match is really high. And yet there's a but coming.

I have never rated this match as highly as others have, I don't see the perfect 5 star match here that others do. Technically it's a fantastic match, but emotionally I don't feel too strongly about it and I think matches I would give a highest recommendation to have to fire on all cylinders for me. I think knowing that this doesn't lead to anything greater in WCW for these two is part of that, but even going into the match it doesn't feel that much significant. For a mask match this falls short of feeling like it's important; it's on the first hour of the show, WCW do a pretty lousy job of explaining the feud and in researching the build retrospectively for this review it's a story that feels rushed and crammed in to reach this point and a decision by Eric that shows a lack of understanding and respect for Mexican wrestling and the honour of mask matches. Mike Tenay tries his best god bless him to educate the fans about how important this mask is to Rey, but that doesn't really come across in anything else about the presentation. Eddy's aggressive scumbag performance and Rey's valiant fightback gave the match a lot of personality and clear face/heel dynamics that the crowd bought into, but it's still falling a little short for me of being a match that's anything more than just great action. It just doesn't feel like a mask match.

My overriding thought watching this match again is that WWE are so short sighted in segregating and having all the exciting cruiserweights on one show that is watched by only a percentage of their fans and keeping them away from the rest of the roster because exciting high flyers Vs quality heavyweights who can base for them make for awesome matches and add variety to your shows. If someone like Mustafa Ali never gets off of 205 Live and never gets in the ring with people like Almas, Joe, Reigns, Drew etc then it'll be a crying shame because we're missing out on a whole host of great matches.

Does it make the list? - For sure it makes the list, it's one of the greatest cruiserweight matches ever despite my slight criticisms. It'll be interesting over time to see where other CW/Jr matches rank in relation to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Happy Halloween

26th October 1997
    Eddy Guerrero Vs Rey Mysterio - Halloween Havoc 1997

This is a really tricky match to review because there's not a lot to say that hasn't been said before about it. It's wildly regarded as the best match to take place in WCW during the Monday Night Wars as well as the greatest cruiserweight match on American soil. It's two highly regarded wrestlers meeting at their physical peak and putting on a classic for a company that failed to take advantage of their world class talents. For Rey Mysterio especially it's a treat to watch him work any match that isn't his WWE house style where everything is quicker, moves are higher risk and all the cliche set ups for the 619 aren't there. It's almost like watching a different luchador all together and that makes everything feel more unpredictable. I can't imagine showing this match to anyone, even non-wrestling fans and them not being impressed by the athleticism, skill and flawless precision on show by both wrestlers here. Spots like the senton flip to the outside into the headscissors are so impressive and it's a match crammed full of them that competition for sequence of the match is really high. And yet there's a but coming.

I have never rated this match as highly as others have, I don't see the perfect 5 star match here that others do. Technically it's a fantastic match, but emotionally I don't feel too strongly about it and I think matches I would give a highest recommendation to have to fire on all cylinders for me. I think knowing that this doesn't lead to anything greater in WCW for these two is part of that, but even going into the match it doesn't feel that much significant. For a mask match this falls short of feeling like it's important; it's on the first hour of the show, WCW do a pretty lousy job of explaining the feud and in researching the build retrospectively for this review it's a story that feels rushed and crammed in to reach this point and a decision by Eric that shows a lack of understanding and respect for Mexican wrestling and the honour of mask matches. Mike Tenay tries his best god bless him to educate the fans about how important this mask is to Rey, but that doesn't really come across in anything else about the presentation. Eddy's aggressive scumbag performance and Rey's valiant fightback gave the match a lot of personality and clear face/heel dynamics that the crowd bought into, but it's still falling a little short for me of being a match that's anything more than just great action. It just doesn't feel like a mask match.

My overriding thought watching this match again is that WWE are so short sighted in segregating and having all the exciting cruiserweights on one show that is watched by only a percentage of their fans and keeping them away from the rest of the roster because exciting high flyers Vs quality heavyweights who can base for them make for awesome matches and add variety to your shows. If someone like Mustafa Ali never gets off of 205 Live and never gets in the ring with people like Almas, Joe, Reigns, Drew etc then it'll be a crying shame because we're missing out on a whole host of great matches.

Does it make the list? - For sure it makes the list, it's one of the greatest cruiserweight matches ever despite my slight criticisms. It'll be interesting over time to see where other CW/Jr matches rank in relation to it.
    As great of a match as it was, it meant nothing to the company. The feud was only a few weeks old, Mysterio's huge title win was thrown away with Guerrero regaining the title a couple of weeks later, and Guerrero would win the rematch at the next PPV of World War 3. The saddest part is this is still the biggest Cruiserweight match in WCW history. It's just that none of them actually matter besides being a workrate exhibit or something thrown on early in a card to get the crowd into the show right away.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

The mask stipulation was tacked on and wasn't treated as important by the bookers.

Which I think makes the performance by both men even more impressive. The bookers might not have cared about this stipulation, but these two men sure did. And despite being in the first hour of the PPV, in a match that is shockingly less than 15 minutes long, they go out and deliver one of the best US matches of the 90's. They could have easily had a great match together regardless, but they went all out to make this match special. The match is 21 years old now, and it still blows my mind today with spots that would make crowds in 2018 go ballistic. You find if you watch stuff like Steamboat vs Savage or Michaels vs Razor in a vacuum you might not appreciate it as much as others because they haven't aged as well. This match has aged amazingly. In terms of athleticism it matches anything that has come since it happened in any promotion and wouldn't look out of place today. That is a great achievement that shouldn't be slept on.

For a sub 15 minute match to pack in so much stuff and not feel like a mindless spotfest is an achievement in itself. They don't neglect their selling at any point. Not only that, but it has that extra layer of intensity and hatred to it as opposed to something like, say, Rey vs Psychosis from Bash at the Beach 1996 (which was the best Cruiserweight match in WCW up to this point in my opinion). Eddie is a complete and utter scumbag in this match, but even more irritatingly he's so dominant in this match. Rey can only survive and get in little bursts of offence because Eddie is just that good. The commentators touch on it too, but I loved the story of Rey being bothered by having his mask on the line and it cost him momentum in the match at various points.

A match where everything clicked despite the ridiculously difficulty in its execution. There are so many points where this match could have gone slightly wrong because the spots are so spectacular and intricate, and they nail every single one. It doesn't have any legacy as far as what happens in WCW goes, but these are two of the best wrestlers of all time - who also happen to be real life best friends - going out there and having the best match of their careers together at their peak. That is something special, even if WCW was too dumb to realise what they had on their roster.

I think it's probably only behind War Games 92 and Austin vs Bret as the best match in North America in the 90s.

Shock Reviews Archive

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Excellent match for sure. Watched this match the first time on the DVD WWE released when Rey joined in 2002 (pretty cool they did that, New signings barely get a video package let alone a documentary) and was totally blown away. Rey Mysterio are this time is out of this world. Unmatched athleticism and high flying capabilities. Eddie is a perfect foil to Rey with him being more technical and him being the bigger of the two allows him to use his power too. Shame WCW (or US wrestling in general) never really cares much about the masks because they are a great story device too have. They can create so much heat for a feud.

Surprisingly, I don't think this is their best match which says a lot because this is fantastic. I'd go towards their SD 23/06/05 match being better tbh.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

I've heard people say the June 2005 SmackDown match is some classic match and better that Halloween Havoc before. I've never understood it. I've always found that match to be overly long, and didn't fit the hate-filled storyline they had going at the time.

Shock Reviews Archive

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Really? I can see that for Mysterio but Mysterio never really hated Eddie, the hate was more from Eddie Guerrero. Thought Guerrero's offence throughout the match was very vicious in many ways. The way he threw Mysterio around, using his weight to bully Mysterio at times. Everything Eddie did said to me that he wanted to really hurt Rey. His nasty attacks on the lower back, the velocity in the slams, irishwhips in the corners and powerbombs. How occasionally Guerrero would throw in a stiff kick or punch in the mix. Things like that what made this match for me. Eddie's facial expressions like most of his career were excellent too. The constant look of disdain on his face, he always looked like he was ready to kill Rey since the moment he began walking to the ring. When I watched it, I thought it was a terrific done hate filled match. It could've been shorter but it didn't drag for me so it's not a problem in that way. I can see why people like the Halloween Havoc match better though. Both matches were excellent IMO.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Yeah it's a match that I've never gotten into. I know lots of people swear by it though.

For me after Eddie's heel turn, which is one of the more brutal heel turns in WWE history, their matches should have been full of hate from both guys. But they start the June match with chain wrestling, clean breaks, etc. It just takes me right out the match. It does pick up later on, and it's by no means a bad match, but I don't see a great match there.

It is the best match of their 2005 series, though that unfortunately doesn't say much.

Shock Reviews Archive

The Flow

Status
      Country                    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    Yeah it's a match that I've never gotten into. I know lots of people swear by it though.

For me after Eddie's heel turn, which is one of the more brutal heel turns in WWE history, their matches should have been full of hate from both guys. But they start the June match with chain wrestling, clean breaks, etc. It just takes me right out the match. It does pick up later on, and it's by no means a bad match, but I don't see a great match there.

It is the best match of their 2005 series, though that unfortunately doesn't say much.

I've never been a big fan of their 2005 series. I remember criticizing their SummerSlam match on a long-dead forum and getting ostracized for it. I completely agree with you in that the feud was so hate-filled and the matches should have displayed that hate yet they didn't.

The only time WWE came close to a good story line post Attitude Era was Undertaker/Mordecai - Dakstang

Guerrero in general was pretty lousy from a workrate perspective in 2005, especially on PPV.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    Hong Kong

Ready for the big one?

Quote Originally Posted by Ed
    The one spot that really impressed me was when the one Angel matrix'd out of a pin, highly impressive.
    Yamazaki, who in fact a huge inspiration for Toyota, including that exact spot she aped directly numerous times, although Tateno was more decorated & wrestled much longer due to jumping from AJW & escaping their 26 year old retirement rule. They were a great team but not the top stars of Joshi you might think like the Crush Gals were. Still, they should have at least been freaking named by the commentary. The depth was so strong in Joshi at the time like dozens of girls could have come in and looked like world beaters. AJW was arguably the best promotion for pure wrestling at the time in the world. The Glamour Girls were good stuff too fwiw.

RE: Owen - So unheralded for how great of a worker he was. If anything the Screwjob could have springboarded him, look no further than his promo against Vince on 12/15/97 where the crowd goes nuts for Owen, Owen cuts a great promo and he has a ready made feud against multiple people, and of course Trips has to get his shine at the time, and his heat with SCSA would have made it hard long term, but they had their chance. Plus even if he was midcard, he could have had great matches with a ton of people going into '05-'06 when he would have likely started to wind down.

RE: Trips/Taker series: I don't want to come off like I'm blowing this off, but this is my honest opinion. I find every single one of those matches highly monotonous & boring. Every match listed thus far is better than the best of theirs, though since we're so far apart with WM28 being your #1 so I'll be nice & not shit on it too much. If anything the post-match was way better than the match itself and a truly iconic moment. They all 3 should have stayed retired after that, their legacies have gotten lower & lower with each return. Of note, working both an X-Men & Frasier reference into your Aussie review is impressive.

Havoc/Ospreay: I pretty much agree with your thoughts perfectly, I thought the first match better as well since they forsake the match for story points and the moment, but I had to laugh at you ending the review of the first match saying you couldn't wait to see a match where Ospreay would get his career making win, then after seeing just that you weren't as excited. What "beloved" matches from NJPW that Ospreay has had would you take this over? Honestly the only ones I remember were the Okada & Scurll matches & even those aren't remembered at all as any kind of classics. The Ricochet match faded with time quickly.

Dolph/ADR: I agree this was a great match, and it makes me think back to the greatest WWE Superstars thread where it was said how much better the WWE style is now because of Bryan & Punk (Don't agree about Punk at all but that's another story) and I'm not sure I agree with that. In that essentially WWE's style now has become a homogenized and quite frankly lesser version of stuff I could see in other companies all over the place whereas something like this I couldn't imagine NJPW or whoever doing THIS style (or a lot of 2013 matches) as well as it was done here. AJ Lee had a great night with one of the best Divas titles matches of that era and then her amazing performance here and definitely think that it added so much to all this. Still, I have to say this never approached 5 stars or GOAT status for me. Pretty strong MOTYC, but there's no way in hell I'd put it above Kudo/Toyoda.

Low Ki/Fénix: I agree with all this, the angle was heated but if you ever watch the show you'd know "the woman" Selina de la Renta is very very green & it pains me to speak negatively on any Puerto Rican woman.

Kana/Meiko: What made you pick this to watch? Very random. It's a shame the music was there to overshadow it, but I thought the match was great without the extra stuff. The submissions, strikes, & selling were always on point. Great work.

HBK/Austin: All I'll say is you definitely liked that WM match more than me. I know this sounds petty, but this match was dragged down by Shawn's obnoxious gum chewing while "selling". If I were to compare this to WM I would say it's a much better match with a much less satisfying conclusion.

Canadian Stampede: I want to rewatch this myself before I comment but I LOVE this era and feud and know the spectacle and enjoyment factor would be through the roof. As a match I definitely can imagine your take being valid but I thought this was a great War Games-esque match in my head.

Onita/Funk: One of my all time least favorite wrestlers in Onita vs. one of my all time favorites in Funk. I thought all of Onita's matches were absolutely shitty when I first saw them, This no exception even with Funk. If I were to pick one of these stupid ass time bomb matches I'd probably pick Sasuke over Funk but even that's because the finish made me laugh. I do agree with your thoughts on the Takeda deathmatch style ftr.

Kudo/Toyoda: This to me is the perfect deathmatch. If I were making a list of all time best matches this would almost certainly be on it. Kudo's one of the all time best women's wrestlers & having this match with someone like Toyoda proves it. This is a great example of a great match being enhanced by the gimmick rather than a great gimmick match. I think that gets said about those Takeda matches but my issues with that are that his wrestling is good but it renders the weapons & violence useless with things just meaningless & Takeda smashing lighttubes over his own head, to the point I lose investment. The best deathmatches like this or early 2000s BJW with Honma & co. is having great wrestling & emphasizing the danger of whatever the gimmick is. This had both of those things and to me what separates this and makes this better than the other women's matches you reviewed are a couple of things. Firstly, the drama is higher for a couple of reasons. Obviously the violence level is so high and the girls getting brutalized in this fashion is as much of a spectacle as I could imagine. But also a big part of Onita's emotion (AKA trying to steal the spotlight like always) was because of the women having a deathmatch but also because it was Toyoda's retirement match and was essentially her grand finale, as well as the first time in history women had a legit deathmatch. And the other thing is that the moves themselves are for the most part so much more well executed. There was very little here that felt sloppy or like a botch, even the Ganso Bomb that you pointed out was perfectly timed since it was used as her trump card to set up the destruction of her bigger opponent who was going all out in the last match. Everything felt real and genuine about all of this and I couldn't imagine anything making it better. In my opinion, a ***** classic and the epitome of a feel good moment for Toyoda's grand finale, and the story of Kudo, someone who was viewed as not good enough to even try out for AJW to reach this level.

I talked about the JBA before but just to piggyback off my above comments, they were just so much smoother & cleaner in the ring than the American women, even now. And it's stunning how great AJW was.

Victoria stuff: I loved Victoria, was middling on Trish & thought Lita sucked, And my thoughts on the matches basically fall in line to what I think of them. I hated that Hardy turn, not just because of how hokey & played out the angle itself was, but I hate couples angles where literally everyone knows they're together in real life but they break them up just to do it.

Sasha/Becky: This was originally my favorite of the 3 big Sasha NXT matches and it's still a great match. But the arm selling from both women left something to be desired, there was some sloppiness from Sasha like always but even Becky who in general I rate a lot higher than Sasha or Bayley had her slip on the dive catching spot. To me the whole last minute was actually not very well done since not only did Sasha have to blow off the arm work, including the biggest spot of the match, then their ring position was so bad the Banks Statement is basically right next to the ropes. I think the aura of these matches is very organic and real from the fans in that this didn't just come out of nowhere, the build was perfect leading into the previous 4 way to this, the fans wanted and were clamoring for a MOTYC from the women, Sasha practiced these matches hundreds of times note by note to get it right, whatever flaws there would be were going to be overlooked, because at the end of the day it was at a different level than what came before and I agree it's historically significant, but I may have made a mistake watching this right after Kudo/Toyoda because there's literally not a single thing this match does better than that one, not even close imo. Still, a **** match from me is a victory, especially then.

Sasha/Bayley: I think this was better than the Becky match in hindsight. But even then I think a lot of the parts that were "awesome" are better on paper than how they were executed. I think a lot of this match was based around a face & heel dynamic which I thought for Bayley's part she did an excellent job at gaining sympathy and playing her role as a babyface, responding to all of Sasha's antics appropriately. On the other hand Sasha, who had a couple of great spots she was given such as with the armtube guys or similarly in the Ironman match with Izzy, but the problem is kind of a mircocosm of why this match doesn't touch me the way it does others. Sasha is an awful actress as we've seen time and time again with her promos and there was never a moment I thought her heel stuff wasn't rehearsed. Much like most of this match felt rehearsed to me and that it was supposed to live up to what the fans wanted. I vaguely remember pointing out how awful that hand stomping was & you thinking I was being too negative as always at the time, and much like with Okada & Nakamura I've been vindicated through history! But I have to say everything after that totally overcame that feeling. And I think despite how not real a lot of the match felt to me what was genuine was the connection from the fans. Through a perfect storm of amazing booking, the matches, & the moment in history, the fan investment was off the chart. Just look at your review. You had 3 and a half paragraphs before talking about anything in the match. It's clear that it's bigger than just the match itself that made this special. And I think even during this match, basically everything after the Banks Statement I thought something finally clicked with me where it did start to become real. I think the payoff of Bayley finally winning the title and the crescendo of ALL this struck something in these two and as you said things got better by the move, which I think easily elevated this by the end to a different level than the Becky match and it's clear why this is so beloved even with my quibbles in execution. Great match. The post-match was great & yet conflicted me, because it basically again reiterated that this was a performance for Sasha in terms of heel work, although the real life story of the Four Horsewomen is intriguing enough in and of itself so it really doesn't matter to anyone but me.

Eddy/Rey: This was an absolutely perfect followup to Sasha/Bayley because I think your comments totally justified my points there. From a pure wrestling perspective I think was on a completely different galaxy from something like that. The execution and in-match story was so much better and I can't imagine anyone disagreeing. But your overriding thought was about WWE misusing Cruiserweights. Along with that what you said about the match importance is totally true. Not only the fan's love for the performers, the booking surrounding the NXT women was amazing & in WCW this match is basically 100% in-ring with nothing extra from a booking perspective to sink your teeth into. I can't fault you or anyone for not having an emotional attachment. That said, Shock beat me to the punch on all my points and that in my opinion those points I said makes me rate this even higher AS A MATCH and certainly one of the best US matches ever. I can't stress enough how on point these two were at such an ambitious style, this will never go out of style. Fantastic work.

Great thread as expected.

Relentless Admin

Status

Thanks for reading and taking the time to post some long replies Zero.

I'd say the invasion attack Kushida/Ospreay match is the pick of Will's New Japan run. Love for Ricochet/Ospreay did fade with time, although it still has it's significance in history; when the NJPW clampdown on twitter giffing started last week, it got people reminiscing on gifs of their match blowing up and growing more interest in the company.

Interesting point on WWE's homogeneous style. That might be a topic worth digging into a separate thread because I agree but only partially. However I do think the level of wrestling is unquestionably better than it was a decade ago and 9 times out of 10 the reason matches fall short of expectations are down to bad agenting and booking and not the wrestlers themselves. If I look up a random WWE TV show from a decade ago in 2008 I'm probably going to see a better standard of tag team and womens wrestling and there's every chance a Randy Orton or Edge or Triple H is the WWE champion instead of AJ Styles.

Meiko/Kana I watched maybe the day after Martinez/Meiko and I was just on a scorpion kick for you might say. Did a quick search on youtube for Meiko matches and stumbled upon this one that obviously from his premise stands out from the pack.

I can imagine Onita being someone that you think less of with a wider exposure than just a one off match that I saw, especially if he's an attention seeker and won't let go of being in the spotlight like a Triple H type figure. Glad someone agrees with me on Takeda.

I was damn impressed with Kudo/Toyoda, and if I wasn't coming in blind on both women I most likely would of enjoyed it a lot more. Don't be down that I have some matches above it, every match above it so far has nostalgia and memories of being into the build and watching in real time when I didn't know the result that gives it a bump.

You were the first person to point out to me that Sasha misses every single stomp in that bank statement at Brooklyn and now I can't unsee it when I watch the match. You can have your Lanza victory lap on that one.

Relentless Admin

Status

2nd November 2018
    DX Vs Brothers of Destruction - WWE Crown Jewel from erm.....Crown Jewel.

I thought nothing would top Tegan Nox going down with another knee injury against Rhea Ripley as the saddest thing I'd see in a wrestling ring this year, but I really think this takes the biscuit for me. I'm not going to spend ages here covering old ground, everyone knows Shawn Michaels was my favourite wrestler and that his retirement match is my favourite ever match. I wanted his retirement to stick and for him to not go back on his word and end up embarrassing himself, even when people would pitch dream matches of him Vs Bryan or AJ I remained steadfast in the belief that he went out at the right time and in best way possible and wouldn't want to see that memory be spoiled. However there was still that tiny part of me that did want to see Michaels wrestle again whenever I'd read speculation about Vince asking him to work a Wrestlemania or when Michaels would appear at live events and interact with the stars of today, like the New Day at WM32. Disappointingly though there was no excitement or curiosity in the news that the big return after all these years away was to take part in an attitude era nostalgia circle jerk on the latest Saudi Arabia show embroiled with bad publicity with the usual no women rule and the death of an American journalist.

There was nothing to look forward to here, DX and Brothers of Destruction were bad tag teams responsible for lame matches 15-20 years ago when they were in their physical prime, and if Super ShowDown was anything to go by, it would be another prolonged, slow-mo bout which would serve as a microcosm of everything wrong with WWE's on screen product. None of these men have what it takes to perform a WWE style main event anymore. In Japan, using legends as a boost for ticket sales works because they put them in tag match in the first hour, they might give them younger partners to lighten the workload, it goes under 10 minutes, and you limit the embarrassment by hiding the weaknesses, doing a few signature spots and relying on aura to get through. In WWE they're asked to work twice the length anyone else did and main event shows so they are seen as more important than anyone else. Crown Jewel was largely a minimal effort, punch in punch out take the pot of gold back to America type of show, yet here are four men with a combined age of 205 (barely alive) trying to have a 30 minute epic tag match and it all comes off rather pathetic.

Super ShowDown is a worst match of the year contender for me, and yet that match had quite a few moments where I had to laugh and the absurdity of what I was seeing where all the bells and whistles were being used to get Taker and Triple H over the line. To a perverse extent it was entertaining at times. This really wasn't. It was boring. There were no smoke and mirrors to hide anyone's weaknesses other than Triple H eating a table so he could take a necessary break, so this really put the guys out there to die in a slow plodding match with nothing to excite the crowd. The only moment that got a brief smile from me was when Kane did his best impression of a luchador and concealed his face when Michaels somehow managed to punch off his mask accidentally. Kane first unmasked in 2003 and has wrestled for years without it so the idea he needed to hide his identity until he put his mask and wig back on was amusing to me. Did he want no-one in Knox County to find out he was in Saudi?

I feel like I shouldn't go too hard on the match because Triple H injuring his pec in a bizarre over the turnbuckle bump meant he was literally a one armed competitor and threw all the original plans for the match out the window, meant that the youngest guy was now the most immobile and the comeback kid Michaels was now gonna have to wrestle the majority of the match alone. For all his flaws, Triple H is definitely a tough son of a bitch when it comes to working through injuries to complete a match, but a 2001 Raw tag this was not. And yet I do want to blast him because even when he can't hit any of his moves properly, he has to be the one to hit an awful Pedigree to pick up the win IN SHAWN MICHAELS' COMEBACK MATCH. This man's ego is so huge he can't even let his best friend get the pinfall when he's injured and unable to perform his finisher correctly. Michaels actually didn't do too badly for a man in his 50s who is out of practice and was forced to work a longer heat sequence than expected, but there are moments like that scary moonsault to the outside where he conked his head on the floor and busted open his nose that should be enough to suggest stay retired. Time will tell if his decision to work one more match is going to effected the way I look at WM26 and taint it's memory the same way Flair tainted WM24 by working for TNA.

At the bell, Shawn collapses into Triple H in the corner and says 'we're too old for this'. Thank god one of them has some self awareness.

Does it make the list? - Unsurprisingly it does not.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    Hong Kong

IT'S ALL ABOUT THE GAME.

Poor bald HBK. I guess it was worth it for him, can't blame him too much for the payday. Do you think he'll do another match? I can't imagine wanting this to be his swan song.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

I saw about five or so minutes of this match,the beginning, HBK's bump from the old school move and the ending. It was a wild ride of bad and I won't even try and imagine how bad the rest of the 25 minutes were.

Scumbag Role Model

Status
      Country                    United States

HBK thankfull said he’s not doing another match but who knows in the business if that holds up, especially when the Brinks truck is backing up your driveway.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information