Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Ed Reviews Everything

Relentless Admin

Status
      Country                    England

Re: Ed Reviews Everything

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    I actually think the Santino finish in 2012 is a far more impressive piece of work in terms of making people believe. In Sunday's match many people came into it expecting a strong performance from Kofi and for him to come desperately close.

Before the 2012 Chamber nobody would have given that finish a thought but they got people believing just momentarily against all their logic. 2019 was logical and even I would argue predictable in that respect, so I think 2012 is a greater achievement as far as the finish goes.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk
    This is why I wanted to rewatch the 2012 match today because I couldn't remember how good final two was, and while it was a perfect way to do it for Santino and his comedy character in the moment, it really wasn't elevating Santino, it was Bryan taking him lightly and dropping down to his level to tease an upset of the century win. I much prefer the way Kofi looked like he belonged in the moment.

I also don't think anyone was crying out for Santino to be added to the World Heavyweight Championship match at Wrestlemania after that match, but people are reacting big time for Kofi this week and don't want this to be the end of his story.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Maybe it's because of my own disconnect with modern WWE, but I'm already feeling as if this match will be a good shoutout for my Most Overrated of 2019. There is plenty to love though. The crowd reaction in general for Kofi was impressive, especially for someone who has never seen anything special in the guy. Admittedly, I don't find it all that awe inspiring that the crowd was so into Kofi in the final fall because it's a classic tale of an underdog coming close to doing the impossible, while convincing fans that it is possible. WWE did that twice with Santino, let alone all of the times with others. I watched this match a day after it happened and in that time, anywhere I looked online, all I saw was tons of praise for Kofi's performance as if it was one of the best performances ever. Instead, outside of the final fall, Kingston didn't do much other than that fall off of the chamber. Hearing news of his performance, I thought Kofi was given a lot with multiple eliminations and dominated the match. Instead, Bryan was the clear MVP of the match by being memorable from beginning until end. Maybe it's less impressive that Bryan had an insane performance since he's made a career out of it, unlike Kofi, but eh. As for the other wrestlers, Joe was really good for what limited time he was involved in match and Styles had a few fun spots. Hardy and Orton were mostly forgettable, but I can't say that's surprising.
    Most overrated, hmm.....have you seen Gargano/Ricochet yet?

I wouldn't argue against Bryan being the MVP because he was, but you don't have to be the MVP of a match to gain a fuck tonne from it or have it be the best night of your career. Clearly though I am higher on the Kofi performance than you are.

The legacy of this match will be greatly dependent on Kofi going forward. If this is going to be a repeat of 2009, it ultimately won't be an important match, but if this is the start of Kofi's main event run, especially if he finds extended success as a main eventer, this match will be a pretty historic one. My own prediction is that it's one giant tease and I have this assumption that instead The New Day will just turn on Kofi to kick off a midcard program between them. The fact that The New Day were shown rushing out and supporting Kofi twice in one week, just seems a little funny to me. If you're setting up a jealousy angle with The New Day, whether both or just one, turning on Kofi, this is how you'd start it.
    Given how many wrestlers are pushing the #kofimania thing on twitter, I don't think this is dying away this week (you never know though). I also don't think it even needs to lead to Kofi winning the title, it's ok to tell a story that Kofi tries his hardest but just can't become champion because not everyone gets to be champion, that's life. Even if they gave me just a one on one match at Fastlane for a routine Bryan win, I'd be happy enough with that for a fun chapter to Bryan's reign and a nice moment for Kofi after all these years like when Henry got to challenge Cena at MITB. I'm confident that this won't be my MOTY come December because so much quality wrestling will happen and I'm not going to be on this high in a few months, but whatever happens to Kofi I'm not going to stop thinking this was one of the best ever Chamber matches.

The idea of New Day turning on each other isn't one I'm into. It's too cliche and WWE would mess it up, but I would hope there's good things for Big E and Woods in their future too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Most overrated, hmm.....have you seen Gargano/Ricochet yet?
    Nah, I haven't. However, if it's a highly praised Gargano match, it's a safe bet that it'll be one of my most overrated matches of the year.

I wouldn't argue against Bryan being the MVP because he was, but you don't have to be the MVP of a match to gain a fuck tonne from it or have it be the best night of your career. Clearly though I am higher on the Kofi performance than you are.
    To be honest, I'm not disagreeing that it's Kofi's best night in his career. Especially as a singles wrestler, Kofi hasn't had too many memorable nights, especially beyond doing something crazy in a near elimination or a ladder based spot.

Given how many wrestlers are pushing the #kofimania thing on twitter, I don't think this is dying away this week (you never know though). I also don't think it even needs to lead to Kofi winning the title, it's ok to tell a story that Kofi tries his hardest but just can't become champion because not everyone gets to be champion, that's life. Even if they gave me just a one on one match at Fastlane for a routine Bryan win, I'd be happy enough with that for a fun chapter to Bryan's reign and a nice moment for Kofi after all these years like when Henry got to challenge Cena at MITB. I'm confident that this won't be my MOTY come December because so much quality wrestling will happen and I'm not going to be on this high in a few months, but whatever happens to Kofi I'm not going to stop thinking this was one of the best ever Chamber matches.

The idea of New Day turning on each other isn't one I'm into. It's too cliche and WWE would mess it up, but I would hope there's good things for Big E and Woods in their future too.
    Considering Fastlane is likely going to be a really random event, I can see them going with Kofi/Bryan just because it's something for Bryan to do until the match that matters at Wrestlemania.

Although I wouldn't be in favor of The New Day turning on Kofi, it's that reason that I can see the WWE doing it.

Relentless Admin

Status

I was in the mood to watch some Moxley after his vignette was released yesterday.

January 7th 2011

Jon Moxley Vs Brodie Lee - CZW 'From Small Beginnings Come Great Things'

This was for Moxley's CZW World title. Brodie Lee hasn't really changed all that much in 8 years other than that bald patch getting bigger, Moxley though looks crazy young in this match. I thought it was quite amusing to see a fan wearing a Nexus shirt in the crowd, watching two guys wrestle for CZW that would go on to be bigger deals than The Nexus in WWE. I love how this one starts off with Moxley riding on the back of the big man, trying to wear him down with a sleeper before he shakes him off and they start brawling around the ring. Lee's shots are loud and crisp, he can certainly throw a chop, but this is pretty basic stuff as they walk around the ring. They do the chops against the ring post spot where Mox ducks and Lee chops nothing but steel as seen in 80% of modern Walter matches, and on this occasion it's not followed up on at all. For a CZW main event, they are poor at throwing a chair shot, Mox in particular looked soft when he tried to attack Lee's back. After a weak chokeslam, Brodie Lee signals for some removal men to come from backstage with a pane of glass to be set up in the corner. He tries to powerbomb Mox through it, and there's a bit of teasing of the spot going on before Mox goes back to the sleeper and Lee chooses to run backwards and dive towards the glass to get Moxley off his throat as shards fly everywhere. Good visual and I liked that Moxley went back for the sleeper to show a semblance of ring strategy; That made for a good nearfall, and came off better than when Moxley got the pin off a powerbomb through a table with thumbtacks spread on top. Not terribly good this one, there's not much of a coherent story or flow to the match, they just brawl and then trade off a big #HolyShit weapon spot.

Moxley's antics are kind of distracting throughout, he comes across like a guy trying too hard to convey a crazy man and it doesn't feel believable; it works for his promos where he's captivating and passionate at times, but bell to bell it doesn't connect for me, at least not here. I'll try watching some other matches, but he doesn't strike me as someone who was a better wrestler on the indies than he was in WWE.

Does it make the list? - I can't even flirt with the idea.

If you want to see Harper looking different, you should watch one of his CHIKARA 2007 matches.

Relentless Admin

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    If you want to see Harper looking different, you should watch one of his CHIKARA 2007 matches.
    Just googled him, and he looks more like Jason Lee than ever when his facial hair was super short.

Character Jobber

Status
      Country                    United States

The first indie show I saw in my hometown of Cincinnati was for Heartland Wrestling Association, and saw Moxley in the #2 main event defending the HWA Heavyweight Title against "Buffalo Bad Boy" Brian Jennings. I believe he was like 19 at the time, had a pink streak in his hair, and "Moxicity" on his trunks.

THE FACE THAT RUNS THE PLACE

Relentless Admin

Status

Fabulous Freebirds (Hayes, Gordy and Roberts) Vs Von Erichs (Kerry, Kevin and David) - WCCW

For the life of me I can't work out a date on this match so I'll just link the video in the title. I think it's 12/8/83.

This is a feud that I've always heard a lot about, but it wasn't until I saw the recent Viceland documentary that I thought about watching some of it. This is for the NWA 6 Man Tag Team Championships and looking at the history of that title it seems like it's only purpose was to be involved in Von Erich matches. The Freebirds come out with the confederate flag plastered all over their ring entrance and attire. Kevin Von Erich grabs the mic to say some of his family members died in the war under that confederate flag, this isn't a war between Texas and Georgia, this is a war between decency and filth~!

My god, are there a lot of women screaming in the audience for the majority of this match, Von Erich-mania is a thing in the state of Texas. It's such a contrast to today's wrestling scene to hear an audience like this which sounds more like they're at a boy band concert rather than a wrestling show. These boys are rock stars for sure. Buddy Roberts is wearing headgear with a wig attached and the crowd chant baldy baldy at him, more on that later. Kevin resembles Matt Riddle with his barefeet, long hair and good body, and it's hard to escape just how oddly he moves around the ring. He's such a funny guy to watch wrestle because he has these moments where he gets over excited and hops and jumps about and performs moves with so much gusto but it's not smooth in the slightest, he's quite unorthodox but I like him. The action is terrific, it's a pulsating 6 man tag that makes everyone look good and the first half of the match is just every Von Erich brother switching in and out to land shots and run right through the Freebirds. Michael Hayes is such a deplorable dickhead that keeps taking shortcuts to avoid taking a beating, but he eventually always gets caught out and it's satisfying when the punches land and his long blonde hair goes flying. Terry Gordy has that Vader quality of having huge size but sells so well to make you think the smaller guys stand a chance against him.

They try to slow it down a little in the second half with Freebird dominance on firstly Kerry and then David, building up the sympathy of the babyfaces that explodes when the tags out are made and the match falls out of control as all 6 men start fighting each other. With the Von Erichs having the upper hand, Kerry has Hayes in a bearhug type move but the referee is too busy watching the chaos elsewhere and Buddy Roberts does a headbutt onto Kerry using his apparently 'loaded headgear' and that's enough to knock out Kerry who Hayes covers with leverage. This was great, right up my bad street for sure.

Does it make the list? - I loved this and it's been a while since I've added a match, so I'm gonna add this match to the bottom end of my list. It's not often I can watch something from the mid 80s and it really connects.

If it helps at all (Or just makes it even more confusing), the match took place on the November 26, 1983 episode of WCCW (According to the WWE Network).

Although the first Von Erich boy had already died (Jack Jr who died as a kid), it's pretty depressing looking back at the Von Erichs at this point, before everything had gone to shit for them. David would be dead within a couple of months. At this point in time, things are probably pretty happy for the Von Erichs. The Von Erich/Freebirds feud is just under a year old and is really hot, Fritz has just pushed Mike into becoming a wrestler (Debuting potentially on this same taping presuming this aired on Nov 26 and was taped a couple of days before), and Kerry, David, and even Kevin were scoring some NWA World Title matches against Ric Flair and/or Harley Race.

Relentless Admin

Status

August 27th 1995
    Shawn Michaels Vs Razor Ramon - WWF Summerslam

I've legitimately never watched this match before despite watching the WMX match countless times and loving it as a classic mania match. I also didn't know until watching this that Michael Hayes' name as an announcer in WWF was Dok Hendrix. WTF kind of a name is Dok? He wasn't much of an announcer, kind of felt like Don West's inspiration as a commentator though the way he was declaring something 5 minutes old as the greatest match he'd ever seen.

I'm conflicted about this match. The match before the ladder comes into play is really neat stuff where they go at it and bump hard, Razor hitting his fall away slam off the ropes for example. It's great that the idea of the match is to wear the opponent down first and then attempting to get the title, rather than just jumping to using the ladder as a weapon. I also think they do some nice nods to the WMX match and show signs of how you learn lessons from your past experiences. Obviously the big story that makes and breaks the match is Shawn's leg injury after a gnarly suplex outside the ring sees his leg crash off the guard rail. The 5 or so minutes that follow this are fantastic and for sure one of best performances Scott Hall ever busted out in his career. It's tremendous work he does on left leg of Shawn where the simple things just come off so well. Even something like taking aim and letting the ladder timber it's way down on Shawn's leg looks like it hurts much more than most modern day ladder spots. The problem is it takes two to tango and Shawn doesn't do Razor's work justice by selling it enough. I don't want to go to the extreme of 'he just forgets about it' cause it's not like he kipped up no problem and there are moments where he has to pull himself up the ladder with his hands more than his feet, but it's nowhere near enough and it feels like a great story dissolves into thin air. I know it's a babyface making a comeback after heat, but when there was such focus on the bad knee that was supposed to stop A) Michaels climbing ladders and B) the sweet chin music, then it's a bit rich to see both happen regardless. It doesn't make it a bad match at all, but it's something that stops it from hitting the heights it should of done. Then the match turns into a bit of a farce when Shawn blows the finish and throws a vintage HBK hissy fit when he can't pull the title down and he has to climb up the ladder again for a less dramatic ending.

I think the WMX match is much stronger, and I could start to see the tropes in this match that would plague my enjoyment of future ladder matches such as setting up the first ladder in a bad position to reach the title just to allow a second ladder to be set up next to it for a highspot....as nice as that sweet chin music off the ladder was.

Does it make the list - As my feeling as the bell rings is disappointment, I'm going to leave it off despite Razor's great work.

On Vacation

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

Yeah if theirs one thing I hate in Wrestling, it's a talent not selling an injury enough. I felt that way during a 205 Live Match this week and I totally get your feeling Ed with this Match. Hand on Bible though I like this more vs Wrestlemania 10's Ladder Match for some reason.

Maybe it's due to the two guys going to another level with the Ladder I felt or the drama I felt watching back as a young HoHo in 95 not knowing who was gonna win. Both guys were so over in 95 and I felt either guy could of taken the Title that night and everyone would of been overall. If I remember correctly wasn't Psycho Sid suppose to face HBK, and at last minute Razor was the replacement?

Also I like the attitude HBK had during the Match it made me chuckle. Dude was in so pain and he was dammit Gravity is kicking my ass right now as the Ladder did during the Match. I remember Razor saying to HBK doing were tied one to one fingers, and HBK was like nah I'm not doing another Ladder Match no way.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Same in that I've never watched this match. I know some people think it's the better match of the two. If I did watch it, I might agree although I'm not a fan of the WrestleMania match as others. I do need to watch the ending though. Just to see it.

Edit: Just watched the finish and LOL. Summerslam isn't kind to HBK in the 90's.
    Last edited by MC 16; 05-11-2019 at 02:40 PM.

Character Jobber

Status
      Country                    United States

Sequels rarely live up to the original.

THE FACE THAT RUNS THE PLACE

Relentless Admin

Status

July 16th 2019
    Jack Gallagher Vs Chad Gable - 205 Live

This is a match I've been eagerly anticipating since their first match back in June. In that match, Gable made a successful debut on 205 Live by defeating Gallagher in a very good contest that ended memorably in a strict ref call where Gallagher was counted out even though most of his body was back in the ring by the count of 10. It was a disappointing end to an enjoyable match and that disappointment was shared by Gable who clearly was left frustrated that his first match in this new opportunity for him was going to fizzle out without the planned closing stretch. He attempted to make the best of a bad situation and ask for a microphone to cut an impromptu promo to perhaps ask for a restart or give Gallagher props and say they need to have a rematch in the future because the ref made a bad call, but this is the land where everything must stick the script so the microphone was denied and the segment ended in confusion. Since then Gable has had 4 weeks where he just disappeared off the brand, and it's not as if this brand is well stocked on numbers to go without a Chad Gable for a month, so even after one match his presence was missed and I started to wonder if he had caught heat for his reaction to the countout spot.

However, it's not just Gable Vs Gallagher: the rematch I was anticipating, it was Chad Gable in any kind of singles action I was anticipating. American Alpha were a great team for the few years they were together, but you always felt like the company was only scratching the surface of what they had in Chad Gable as a wrestler and although he was impressive whenever he was given a chance in tag teams with Shelton Benjamin and Robert Roode, it's not what I wanted out of him. I wanted to see him walk his own path as a singles wrestler where we could see what his work is like without having to tag out of a match every couple of minutes and play the face in peril. I'm also someone that has enjoyed 205 Live for the last 18 months so I knew that Gable and the purple brand would be a perfect workrate match for each other; his size was always going to be a limiting factor on Raw or Smackdown, but 205 Live was the best place to make use of his talents.

A big turn off for a lot of people with 205 Live is the crowd, and I can hardly blame them when the loudest reaction from the crowd in the opening minutes of this one was a lone boring chant, but it's never put me off getting into the main events of these shows. In fact I feel like I might grade on a gradient of being way more impressed by taking a crowd that make no noise at the start to being really into the action halfway through and holding it until the finish, than I am by a crowd of a more popular brand like NXT or AEW that are loud from start to finish because they are fans of particular wrestlers from the get go and the reaction has nothing to do with the quality of a match. I've a lot of time for wrestlers who can change perceptions and suck people into their match when they weren't expecting to be that sucked in. They start off with the nice and polite thing wrestlers do when they are matched up as equally proficient as technicians where they run through some grappling exchanges to try and one up each other and then reset to get a round of applause, but thankfully it wasn't long until we moved onto something more tasty where they actually look like they're trying to defeat the other man. There's good leg work, there's some overhead belly to belly suplexes which is maybe my favourite wrestling move, some strong strike exchanges with no dumb shit like Goto and Juice put on a few days ago where you headbutt fists, there's a chaos theory attempt into a kimura that I really enjoyed, there's a hard bump into the ring barricade. These guys went out there to impress and to put on something even better than they did in June.

The one disappointment with this match is when Gallagher goes for a dive out of the ring and either he puts too much on it, or Gable was standing too close to the ropes, but the plan to catch him in midair and do the suplex on the outside fell apart when Gallagher goes way over Gable's head and Gable clumsily had to pick him up, pretend he caught him flush and do the spot regardless of the botch. It's not just that it's a failed spot, it's the biggest spot of the match which is the direct callback to why this rematch is even happening. Obviously I still appreciated the story they were going for where Chad probably has a countout victory on his hands again, but rolls Gallagher back in the ring to fight on for a win that no-one can dispute this time, however it does just take the edge off a great match here.

From here on in, it really steps up. We get a lovely tiger driver from Gable and then a transition into an ankle lock, which commentary put over as a tribute to Gable's favourite wrestler Angle. As the match progress you can see how Gallagher's pasty body is starting to bruise up rather easily from the strikes and bumps in this match, and I love it, I fear for this man's chest if he's ever booked against WALTER. Gallagher is so great at selling the idea he's making his last stand as he lets off a a flurry of wild strikes in the corner, the unmatched best headbutts in WWE and the desperation corner dropkicks. The Gable counter of the first corner dropkick into the implant DDT is SENSATIONAL. When Gable misses a moonsault, that's where Gallagher finally lands his corner dropkick for another strong nearfall. Gable then later counters a super-back suplex into a crossbody and then follows up with the Chaos Theory to finish it. He goes 2-0 up over Gallagher, and this time there can be no dispute about the legitimacy of this victory. The commentary team give these two men a standing ovation, a little bit corny, but they deserve all the roses being thrown at this match today.

Despite G1 season starting and AEW and WWE having B-level shows this week, it's two lads on WWE's 4th brand that have left the biggest impact on me this week. I've always been a step behind people when they praise Jack Gallagher as one of the best TV workers in WWE, but I'm right with everyone today in thinking he was tremendous in this. I think it's both men's best match in a long, long time.

Does it make the list - It's not one of the greatest matches of all time which is what this slow process of creating a list is supposed to be about, but rest assured it'll make my top 100 list for 2019 and I haven't been moved to write much about 2019 wrestling, so I'll add them to the very bottom of my list for getting me out of my reviewing slumber at least. But yeah, watch this match.

WAKE UP

Status

Agreed, match rocked. If it wasn't for Osprey/Shingo, I'd say this was the best juniors match I've seen in a long time. First half was really fun grappling you don't get too often in WWE, between two highly skilled wrestlers; second half was a really exciting, unpredictable end run that felt like a natural escalation and got pretty heated and stiff. Gallagher is excellent, Gable isn't a complete worker yet but has tonnes of pedigree, natural ability and a great moveset, so will be really cool to see him develop as a wrestler over the coming years.

Relentless Admin

Status

July 28th 2019
    Joey Janela Vs David Starr - Beyond Wrestling Americanrana 2019

One year ago Joey Janela and David Starr main evented Americanrana 2018 in a barbed wire no ropes match that blew my expectations away. It's a stipulation I've always struggled to enjoy because I'm far from a deathmatch fan, and yet year last I came away thoroughly entertained and with the belief that I'd just witnessed one of the best matches of the year and the finest examples of that specific match stipulation done tremendously well. Fast forward to this past weekend where Joey Janela and David Starr would meet yet again at Beyond Wrestling's biggest event of the year, this time in a 60 minute no disqualification ironman match, a stipulation that again I have my reservations on, but this time I was pretty confident in both men's ability to deliver big time. There is more than enough wrestling content out there at the moment to consume, especially in the thick of the G1 Climax, if you're asking me to set aside a whole hour to watch one match, it better be worth it.

They delivered in spades. Not only is this one of the best matches of 2019 so far, I think this is actually the best ironman match there's ever been. 60 (SIXTY!!) minutes is a long time to go out there and have enough ideas to keep things interesting and not have moments where it drags between the big spots. Thankfully these guys had more than enough ideas to keep me glued to the action. They didn't jump straight into the weapons which I appreciated, for roughly the first ten minutes it was straight up singles action with Starr locking in some nice submissions, trying to go for that reconstructed knee of Janela, but Joey proving himself to be really adaptable to the challenge at hand, finding escapes for the submissions, sending a literal message to Jim Cornette that he can actually wrestle. The intensity between the two men really carried through from the first minute to the last.

Starr brings in the chair to get the first dip in the water of the No DQ stipulation and does my favourite comedy spot of all time of the chair rebounding off the top rope to hit you in the face. That gave Joey some good moments on top, hitting Starr over and over again with the chair, mockingly asking him for the handshake he laughed off at the bell, but Janela got too cocky too soon, and after setting up a structure of chairs in the middle of the ring, Starr took the opportunity to sneak up on him and hit a product placement onto the chair and fuck me did Joey's head first landing look brutal. 1-0 Starr. Moments later after more clinical chair work, Starr took a 2-0 lead after a cherry mint DDT onto the chair, really using the scope of the ironman formula to allow big moves like that to feel more impactful because you can get a pinfall off them whereas in a standard hardcore match they'd just be kicked out of to allow the match to continue. I have to pause here and say the use of chairs in this match was top drawer, the looked great, they were sold like death, they had weight and meaning to the match, there was clever uses of spots. There was even a moment where Janela took a folded chair and slid it as hard across the canvas to reach the target of Starr on the outside, and I haven't seen that trick done in forever, like not since Tajiri was doing deathmatches in ECW 2 decades ago. Starr's submission the Republic Remorse really turned the screw on Janela's battle back from knee surgery and he had to quickly tap out to go 3-0 down but ensure he had something left in the tank to comeback with. In all honesty he needed a Liverpool/Barcelona comeback at this point.

Starr tried to push home his advantage to a point where Janela couldn't return from, firing away at the knee of Janela with the kendo stick, but some quick thinking found the stick in Joey's hands and within seconds he had rattled Starr between the eyes with the kendo stick, enough to go 3-1 and open up Starr's head. The turning point had arrived and Janela wasn't stopping there. It took a few attempts but he managed to break the kendo stick across his own knee and then took the newly formed sharp, jagged edge and drove it into Starr's skull to make the cut deeper. It's hard not to think about Tully and Magnum in 1985 when something that uncomfortable happens in the ring and for me it just took the match to the next level. In a throwaway death match it wouldn't of been that impressive, but in a match between two heated rivals with years of history, to see Joey resort to gouging out Starr's scalp because Starr was low enough to exploit his knee injury is the most beautiful violent image I think I've seen all year. Starr continues to focus in on the knee as his strategy to victory, but it bites him on the ass when a figure four is, as it always is, countered by rolling onto your stomach and the pressure is too much so he has to tap. Joey then busts out the sickest combo of big moves seen in the match so far to bring it back to 3-3 after superplex into a pile of chairs and then TWO package piledrivers. Somehow there was still half of a match to go.

From here on in the match starts to get batshit crazy and more unpredictable now that we'd already had the 'heel gets a big lead and then babyface makes the comeback' part of 90% of most ironman matches. There were door spots, table spots, ladder spots, cage wall spots, a stunning step up Canadian destroyer off the apron through a table that was so damn impressive to nail 40 odd minutes into a grueling battle with all the blood and sweat on show. I don't want to go move for move about it because that's not my style of review, but rest assured every big move at this stage of the match was perfectly placed to really ramp up the excitement of who was going to get these final falls. Joey lighting up a cigarette both to catch his breath for a few seconds and then to stub it out in Starr's forehead was just another moment where I lost my shit at what I was seeing. Starr gets his own revenge for these sick acts in the final ten minutes of the match where he rips out the metal leg from one of the broken tables and uses that to stab Janela with. After a standoff with a referee, David Starr is paying the price for taking his eyes off of Janela as Janela then attacks him with the same metal leg. As the action reached a fever pitch in the final few minutes, it was Janela that got the crucial fall with a superkick with 1 second left to spare. Timed to perfection, just like the layout of the whole match.

Overall this was a fantastic ironman match that at 60 minutes didn't even have 1 minute of downtime, I was seriously impressed by how quickly the match went by. These guys got the lucha standing ovation treatment where balls of dollar bills are thrown into the ring for both competitors as a sign of respect for something truly special. David Starr proved himself yet again to be one of the best wrestlers in the world who has deep enough range to be a fabulous dickhead heel on this night against Janela when in the same year he's being a beloved babyface protecting the honour of independent wrestling in the UK and chasing down his personal nemesis of WALTER. Joey Janela I've often said does his best work in Beyond Wrestling, and this is without question the best match I've watched of his and that image of him breaking a kendo stick in half just to jam it in Starr's head is going to live with me for the rest of his career I feel.

After the match, Joey addressed signing up to AEW and the issue of is he a sell out (no he isn't) and while it was a nice way to write him off of Beyond, I think it more importantly set the stage to turn Starr, the ace of beyond, babyface and prepare for his passionate promo and rallying cry to independent wrestling fans and wrestlers to close out the show. Joey in the end got more than a handshake, as Starr hugged him and thanked him for the match and feud. They left the ring hand in hand, arguably the two most important men in modern independent wrestling, now about to go in different paths after this night.

Does it make the list? - Fuck yeah, this is a contender for the 2019 MOTY, no doubts about it. Greatest ironman match of all time.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

I don't think it's the best Iron Man Match of all time (Rude vs Steamboat is) but it's definitely one of the best 60 minute variations of the match.

Relentless Admin

Status

November 13th 2011
    Eddie Kingston Vs Mike Quackenbush

After the welcoming news that Eddie Kingston has changed his mind on retiring from professional wrestling, I've been on somewhat of a Mad King kick, and in particular watching a lot of his promos that are up on YouTube. One of his more famous ones that I know some people on here will remember was his passionate promo building up to his High Noon match against Mike Quackenbush to crown the first ever Grand Champion. 2011, 2019, no matter the year, when Eddie Kingston talks he is the most compelling talker in the business; he knows how to get people interested in the stories he is selling. There was no way after watching him talk about how he has to win this title for the late Larry Sweeney that I couldn't watch the next suggested video of the match itself.

Kingston came into the match with an existing knee injury that was no secret. Quack knew about it and Quack went for it, such were the stakes in this match. It's always tricky to drop into a random CHIKARA event because context is so easily lost in a promotion where context perhaps matters more than it does to any other promotion, but I got the sense here that Quack was playing the heel here more than he usually does and it was almost a shocking performance from him. He seemed to relish the fact that Kingston had this injury that he could exploit with no sympathy offered to his opponent who was fighting for both himself and a fallen friend, and then even when the match was in his control, he still poked Kingston in the eye to tighten his grip on the proceedings. Sympathy is a big theme that always comes back when I'm watching Kingston matches because he is tremendous at being vulnerable and convincing people he's more hurt than he really is, I don't think there's a more sympathetic wrestler out there today when he wrestles as a babyface. This was on show in this match where he gets tangled up in some creative knee submissions by Quack and he has to bite and claw and battle his way out of the pain if he's to achieve his goal of becoming the first ever champion. Quack's lack of sportsmanship becomes the ultimate karma later in the match when Kingston flings out a desperation backfist to the future to Quack's leg when he was standing on the top rope and the crash landing onto the mat turned the tables to where Quack now had an injured leg too. Kingston needed no invitation to payback his trainer with some kicks to the back of his leg and a Kondo clutch. The big fight feel of the match was really felt by the CHIKARA roster coming out halfway through and watching/cheering on from the apron and the hot crowd exploded with them when Kingston unleashed his late rally of offence, including a dragon suplex and two backfists to the future, to seal his victory.

The term underrated is so misused online to mean 'this wrestler I like isn't pushed hard enough' or 'I think this wrestler is the best in the world but no-one else seems to' that I hate ever using the word anymore. Cesaro is not an underrated wrestler because WWE haven't made him a world champion; he has a 7 year and counting WWE career where millions of global wrestling fans can watch any of his hundreds of matches on the network and come to the conclusion he's a great in-ring worker. Anyone who can't see that is lost because they've had every opportunity to see his work by now. To me Eddie Kingston is the definition of a wrestler being underrated, because he appears to be underrated by the top wrestling companies in the world that don't realise what an asset he'd be to their roster and because he has never had that exposure, there are millions of wrestling fans that don't know how good he is or might not have even heard of him. In an era where anyone with a modicum of buzz is signed quickly and put onto national television by either of the top two companies in America, how has Eddie Kingston been passed over when he has 15 years of experience of producing the kind of promos and matches and stories that fans would adore and would be perfect for a weekly television show? Why at 37 is he still waiting for his big break when there are precious few wrestlers that can do what he does in the ring and with his mouth? How did Impact have nothing for him and let him go when he was central to the LAX/OGz feud that was well received by fans last year? Here's hoping that big break is around the corner.

Does it make the list? - I think it's better than some of the matches on my list currently so yes it does make it on. It has high importance, emotional stakes, great selling, a hot crowd and it puts a smile on your face to watch CHIKARA feel like one of the biggest things outside of WWE at that period of time before the 2000s indies boom makes way for the New Japan Okada led boom.

Relentless Admin

Status

January 4th 2015
    AJ Styles Vs Tetsuya Naito

This is the start of me rewatching AJ Styles' notable New Japan matches from 2015 in preparation for my final rankings on our best worker of the last half decade project. AJ has always been in my thoughts as someone who had a claim to that #1 spot through his success in both New Japan and WWE through this period, but I felt a second viewing of matches I haven't seen in almost 5 years was necessary to comfortably reach a decision on that.

WrestleKingdom 9 for me might well mark the high point in my fandom of New Japan where I hadn't grown tired yet of Okada's strangle hold on the IWGP Heavyweight title picture and the textbook main event formula of nothing exciting happening for 20 minutes safe in the knowledge that a hot closing stretch full of finisher counters and kickouts would propel something boring to something MOTYC level in the eyes of easily pleased fans. In 2015 I was on board with pretty much everything Gedo threw at me that didn't involve Bad Luck Fale; this show produced probably the best closing one-two punch of the decade with Nakamura Vs Ibushi and Tanahashi Vs Okada (both legit MOTYCs) and there were exciting options underneath those main eventers ready to step up in Katsuyori Shibata, Tomohiro Ishii, Hirooki Goto and on show in this match, Tetsuya Naito and AJ Styles.

Something that's impossible to miss when watching this match is everything about Naito. This is the pre-moody, Rush influenced, leader of LIJ version of Naito; Here he's the clean shaven, red and white trunks, feather on his shoulder, Stardust Genius and it's oddly refreshing to see. Naito desperately needed to evolve into the LIJ version of himself which would happen later in 2015 with a heel turn in the summer because it got him out of the rut he had been in ever since he lost THAT fan poll and it turned him into a bigger star in the company. However after 4 years of 'don't give a fuck' Naito, I gotta say it was really nice to watch 'give a fuck Naito' for a change. I think he's due another character shift because too cool for school Naito ain't working for me anymore. And he's not the only refreshing change to see, because AJ Styles in 2015 was the leader of the Bullet Club and he comes of ten times more legitimate in this role than the dollar store tribute act version of his character that he's now playing in 'The OC' on Monday nights.

If you cast your mind back you might remember AJ's indie run post TNA hitting some turbulence when he broke the necks of Lionheart and Yoshi Tatsu through the Styles Clash, coining the phrase the AJ Styles 'protect ya neck' tour. To the Japanese fans that put a sense of fear and danger into the Styles Clash, making it more than just a finisher, and that fear was played on right at the start of this match where AJ attacked Naito straight at the bell and made some early attempts at the move. He didn't land it, but it started the match on an note of urgency that didn't let up as Naito ran through a barrage of athletic dropkicks. AJ works the match super smart, tailoring his offence to his opponent. Wherever possible, AJ tries to work on the leg of Naito, the most impressive time being Naito's signature swinging dropkick into the corner being countered into a legbreaker over his shoulder. All this work on the leg creates some drama when AJ locks in the calf crusher for a legitimate finish tease. Naito is spirited, but he's reduced to just unloading a couple of hopeful, flashy moves in desperation because AJ is on top of him for a good majority of this match and he manages to showcase a lot of his great looking offence in these 15 minutes. AJ lands a Bloody Sunday towards the end of this match, a nod to former Bullet Club member Prince Devitt, a device that often fans point to as 'great storytelling' but NJPW have done this to death in recent years with BC wrestlers that I just roll my eyes when it happens. If the thought of a Styles Clash was scary to the fans in attendance, the finish of a Super Styles Clash from the middle rope would of terrified them. Credit to Naito for throwing some kicks at AJ's head while he was hanging upside down to at least show a sense of struggle to fight out of the move before AJ recovered. Hell of an exclamation mark to end the match on to give AJ Styles a big win in the Tokyo Dome.

In terms of getting AJ Styles set up as the next challenger for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship, they couldn't of done much better here, this was perfectly booked; AJ always looked the superior wrestler and comfortably beat Naito. If anything this felt like a New Japan match that had another 5 minutes in it, but that wouldn't of suited the booking if Naito would of gotten more hope spots in.

Does it make the list? - Yeah I'd say it's around that 4 stars great match territory so it can get onto the list. The two big matches from this show steal a lot of the spotlight so it's easy to forget how good this was, and if you can pair good action with good booking then you're a winner in my eyes. We're off to a good start in the AJ Styles rewatch.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread Information