Thread: Matt Hardy appears to be hanging them up

Status
      Country                    United States

Matt Hardy appears to be hanging them up

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread
    WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Walked With Elias Before Anyone, #Iconic

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

[footnote: Is now the longest reigning WWE Champion in Smackdown history]

THE MAN

Status
      Country                    England

Re: Matt Hardy appears to be hanging them up

My suspicions are this isn't as clear cut as 'Matt Hardy Retires' as I'm seeing over the internet. He never says he's retiring, and he only refers to 'woken' matt hardy's last time in a WWE ring, could be an end to that character more than his whole career. Matt has always been excellent at using the platforms at his disposal to get people talking about him when he's not doing very much in-ring, and his phrasing could be very deliberate to get people talking about his career being over when it actually isn't. I also find it hard to believe that Matt, who has been working live events the past couple of weeks, would announce his retirement 24 hours before his brother's biggest match arguably since 2009 - the timing is weird because Jeff could easily be done for a bit after tonight. It just feels like too low key a retirement, but then again Matt wasn't really a big enough star to warrant the closing segment of Raw retirement.

I think he's definitely in the winter of his in-ring career though so it wouldn't surprise me at all if this is the transition of him hanging up the boots to work on more of the production/creative side of things. The last year has been pretty rough to watch his singles run, he seems pretty broken down, no pun intended.

Status

Matt Hardy will never retire, that run he had before coming back to WWE certainly screwed up his body. He had a ton of rough matches, by the time he was in WWE he was already really broken down.

Last Real Man Hype

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    It just feels like too low key a retirement, but then again Matt wasn't really a big enough star to warrant the closing segment of Raw retirement.
    Maybe not as a singles worker, but a final Hardy Boyz tag is worthy of that slot.

I too felt that something seemed off about this announcement. I'm more inclined to believe he's going to become a new character. Matt Hardy V1, Big Money Matt, Broken/Woken Matt, now maybe another reinvention.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakstang
    You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

Prince Of Joshi

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

Yeah I don't see Matt Hardy truly retiring, maybe some time off to rest the body and comes back as V1 Hardy. Matt is a genius and just as you see him going one way, he goes the other way.

Real Women of Genius
    Ongoing, click the link if you want to take a tour of Women's Wrestling
    It's Morphin Time: A Mighty Morphin Walkthrough

Status

Well I'm skeptical but it's amazing the journey that Matt's career has taken. I mean, not even mentioning OMEGA...

He and Jeff were in The Brood and then became their own team, one of the most popular ever, then he broke off to become V1 which was awesome, followed by "never say die" Hardy which was also pretty awesome, had a memorable feud with MVP, had a disappointingly short run with the ECW World Title, had another feud where he tried to kill Jeff, fell from grace, came back in TNA and looked like a dud at first, then managed to unexpectedly become one of the most popular wrestlers in the world and finally won a legit world title, twice, in his 40s, came back to WWE to a monster pop getting a nice little WrestleMania, only to have WWE squander his amazing gimmick but still won the Raw Tag Team Titles again!

He's had a mostly unhearalded but truly remarkable career. I mean most people will acknowledge his tag team work of course but he's done better as a singles wrestler than a good majority of wrestlers ever will.

Established Veteran

Status
      Country                    Wales

I'm with you guys, I don't think this is an official retirement from in-ring action. It'll be a way of writing him out for a while whilst he takes a break and spends some quality family time. I'd be very surprised if he doesn't return to wrestle a few more times around Rumble time.

Also, not so long ago I read that he was trying out a variety of backstage roles to see what he liked...so maybe he is just starting the transition and will turn into the one match a year type of deal some of the others have haha. Afterall he's got plenty he can give the next generation...if he chooses to go down that path.
    I have a plan so cunning......

Hail To The King

Status

If Matt is hanging it up I am glad he did it on his terms. These guys seem so adment to keep on going till they get hurt. Daniel Bryan I like him glad he is back but he is just one more bad landing and it will kill him. Hardy has a family and tons of mileage on his body if this is true retirement I applude him. I could see him becoming a producer or manager maybe even a gm. Imgine woken hardy as gm of raw.

Spoiler:

CWA World Heavyweight Champion
    Brayden Bridges

Fearless University

Status
      Country                    New Zealand

He’s had a pretty damn good career and reinvented himself so well towards the end.

Hes been wasted in the WWE though. Broken Matt was the hottest act in wrestling in 2016. But he’s been a nobody in the WWE.

Thanks to Jabberwocky for the amazing Gabrielle gif

Status

I read some comment recently - Twitter, maybe? - that mentioned that Hardy was assured a backstage role with the WWE when he did retire. I assume as a road agent / producer. Might just be stepping back, getting a handle on that, and they can bring back the character at any point. When there is something more for him to do, I guess.

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

I don't know why I differ to everybody else, but I just think he is done. Had one last tag title run and now he's finished. And without disrespecting what has been a terrific career, I don't think he's on Triple H/Taker level where they just continue to wheel him out around every big event.

Hail To The King

Status

Hearing that Jeff maybe hanging them up to now though that maybe rumor. I am glad Matt had a career resurgence with the broken universe he ending strong.

Spoiler:

CWA World Heavyweight Champion
    Brayden Bridges

THE HEARTBREAK KID

Status
      Country                    Portugal

The only thing that makes me a little sceptical is that it's not been made official with one last promo on Raw or something. I was kind of expecting something on Raw yesterday.

I kind of feel something else is going on.

But if he is done, fantastic career and he's giving me as a fan so many memories, and along with Jeff one of my all time favourite tag teams.

Pretty sure he will go into a backstage role but he could easily be a manager in the form of maybe a Michael Hayes with a new Hardy like team or maybe even managing a Woken/Broken team in the Woken/Broken gimmick. Could be cool.
    Prepare for the.. BACKLASH!

...COMING SOON, TO THE "BTB" SECTION!

*** CREDIT TO THE LOOCHA BEAR FOR THE GRAPHIC ***

Old

Status

It's sad that he re-invented himself and proved he still has all the skills in the world, lands a WWE job and WWE do what they always do....nothing. He should have at least got given a token WWE title shot on a PPV before having to hang up his boots

Remember if Hardcore Holly can get a PPV title shot then anyone can.

THE MAN

Status
      Country                    England

Quote Originally Posted by Recall View Post
    It's sad that he re-invented himself and proved he still has all the skills in the world, lands a WWE job and WWE do what they always do....nothing. He should have at least got given a token WWE title shot on a PPV before having to hang up his boots

Remember if Hardcore Holly can get a PPV title shot then anyone can.
    His body has been shot for over a year now. Legal issues meant they had to wait ages on the broken character but by that point the bloom was off the rose and he didn’t really get the woken stuff over enough to warrant world title matches.

On Vacation

Status
      Country                    Aaland

If this is true , which I'm a bit loads of inring performers have said in the past, then he and Jeff give me loads of great memories espically against edge and Christian and the dudleys in those famous tlc matches , they both put there bodies on the line to entertain us fans and for that they are Defo one of my fav tag teams, I know he didn't have such a great singles career as Jeff but nether less still done well, just hope we get to see them both together for one last match but after jeffs falling inside the cage who knows?

Peace

The Diplomatic Shadow

Status

Pretty confident to say he is referring to the "Broken" character being done.

Likely to take a decent break and time off, heal up and spend time with family. Probably continue working on getting work behind the scenes. And then likely will do one last Hardy Boyz run.
    My whims will become lightning bolts that raze the mounds of humanity

On Vacation

Status
      Country                    Aaland

Anyone have any updated info on Matt yet?

Peace y'all.

Thread Information