Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your Wrestling Breaking Points

Relentless Admin

Status
      Country                    England

Your Wrestling Breaking Points

This week in the NXT thread I mentioned my struggle to enjoy the recent Gargano/Velveteen Dream match because they've lost me as a fan of Gargano's through his booking. At Takeover Brooklyn, that dumb fuck finish where Johnny yet again had victory in his hands but lost through overthinking and overacting because they have to drag this story out even longer was my breaking point as far as my investment in the storyline goes. Similarly, when Reigns lost to Lesnar again this year at mania the good will they had with me for dragging out Lesnar's reign was used up, it wasn't going to matter anymore when they made the title switch because I was passed caring about Roman having his day and winning the big one. Does anyone else have any moments like this where they just said 'nope, I'm done', or is it just me? I remember Nash giving up on wrestling completely when he didn't get the WM29 main event he wanted but that guy was always a flaky character....

I know as a teenager I took big breaks from wrestling all together when JBL first become WWE Champion and when Great Khali became World Heavyweight Champion because in my opinion at the time they weren't worthy of holding a kayfabe title I reckon I'd enjoy the hell out of a JBL title reign if I watched it again because I'm more mature to enjoy the heel mic work.

Heel Champion

Status
      Country                    Wales

Re: Your Wrestling Breaking Points

In the current day stuff, the booking of Reigns and Strowman is my breaking point. As you pointed out they waited too long to crown Reigns again so it's just past caring stage for me now. The only thing I look forward to is seeing who is allowed to dethrone Reigns.

As for Strowman...well we all know what has happened, he's gone from being super hot and the trigger wasn't pulled to being the man who will no doubt have to lay down for Reigns in his first PPV title defence....ridiculous booking.

As for the JBL reign...I do agree you'll enjoy it more looking at it through older eyes...I certainly did.
    I have a plan so cunning......

Team Canada

Status
      Country                    Canada

Vince Russo & The Actor (David Arquette) Won The WCW World Title
    Last edited by TCON; 09-09-2018 at 01:10 PM.

MERHABALAR AQ

Status
      Country                    Turkey

It's a little moment but I got so angry about Lesnar beating Taker in WM 30 that I stopped watching the show and missed Bryan's big victory.
    Worker bees can leave.
    Even drones can fly away.
    The Queen is their slave.

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

I don't thin anything can really break me anymore but right now the booking of Roman Reigns is the closet thing to doing so. Having him lose to Brock at Mania was ridiculous and then having him lose by a technicality at the GRR was even more ridiculous. I reckon I would have noped out of Raw had he lost at Summerslam. Hell I liked the shield but the fact that they've put the Shield back together for the simple reason of protecting Reigns is doing my head in.

Other than that 2007 was the only time I felt like "nope i'm done now". After Mania everything just seemed to go to shit. I didn't clear for Bobby Lashley being pushed to the moon. I didn't care to see Vince McMahon in the ring anymore. I didn't care to see Candice Michelle become womens champ. I didn't care to see Khali in the main event picture anymore.....I just didn't care about anything the company was actually doing and by One Night stand i was just done. I did get sucked back in by Mania 24 though.

Jam Up Guy

Status

I've had a bunch of moments that gradually stripped away a layer of fandom bit by bit. Katie Vick was the first time I'd ever thought "is this really for me anymore?", but the Rey angle after Eddie's passing was kind of a point of no return for me. That was probably the line between wrestling being the thing I enjoyed the most, and just a thing I liked.

I dropped out completely after Benoit, because he had been my favourite wrestler and it completely sucked the joy out of wrestling for me for a while, but came back in early '08, and was a little in and out until the Summer of Punk. Once I saw the writing on the wall of where that was going (ie Nash and Triple H) I dropped out again, and barring a period with NXT, haven't really watched every week since.

I'm a Stone Cold Lee Guy.

Status
      Country                    Ireland

"Eddie ain't in heaven, he's down there. IN HELL"
    The most amazing thing about this recent conversation is that I've learned AON is even more of a waste of space than I thought he was previously

The EST of WC

Status

Katie Vick, Eddie story.....Its amazing what this company got away with that would provide such a media shit storm if done in 2018

BAY BAY

Status
      Country                    United States

I'm a Cena fan but I got sick of him real quick around 2010-11. Thought it was so ridiculous they gave the WWE title to Mysterio for an hour and had Cena take it away from him.

[Joy To The WC]

Status

Quote Originally Posted by An Original Name View Post
    "Eddie ain't in heaven, he's down there. IN HELL"
    This. Legit just switched the TV off and stayed away for a good month following this nonsense.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Scumbag Role Model

Status

I was never a big Edge fan so a lot of the time he was prominently featured I kind of zoned out.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

People's Champion

Status

My breaking point with WWE in particular was seeing the top face win handicap matches. I dont know why it bothered me so much. Maybe it was because i was already sick of wwe in 2006. I also hated DX coming back.

Now my breaking point is the investment. I cant watch 3 hours of RAW or even two hours of Smackdown. And the thought of a 4- 5 hour event is insanity. I prefer re watching shows after they are live so i can cut out filler
    ROH!!!ROH!!!ROH!!!

The EST of WC

Status

Oh and shout out to Jinder Mahel being WWE champion. I stopped watching smackdown for months and whenever his matches were main eventing PPV's I would stop the show right there.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Everything really. Lack of interest in the majority of the wrestlers or storylines on Raw. I always find myself getting frustrated at the storylines and I'm rarely captivated by Raw. Unless it's the go home show or certain parts of the show, I just can't watch Raw.

Status

Interesting thread, Ed.

It doesn't take a ton for me to hit a tipping point. In part because I've cycled wrestling in and out of my life as a passion a number of times since the early 1980s. Usually just a function of circumstances - other interests taking precedent, lack of easy access to channels with the shows I want to watch, etc. I've come to the acceptance a few years ago that I am not the core audience the WWE is trying to appeal to anymore. I am the audience they take for granted and even like to mock. That acceptance makes it much easier to sit back, give it less attention, ignore the parts I don't like, etc. But it also means there is less passion on my part. My investment suffers as a result. Less lows, but also less highs.

At this point for me, its not typically individual things / incidents / workers that push me to the point where I'll just say "fuck it" for awhile. Rather, its realizing that there is more going on that I actively don't enjoy than what I do. That's when I'll just start hitting delete on the PVR for the WWE shows rather than bothering to watch them. Being plugged into WC and Twitter means that when something WORTH watching happens, I'll be aware and can jump back in.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

I don't know that I've hit many breaking points but I've been pushed to the edge quite a bit. Cena definitely had me on the brink at times from 2008-2010 where I felt like this isn't even worth watching anymore because the outcome is so predictable. But I learned to get over that and in hindsight it was pretty immature of me to ever feel that way.

Ironically it's much the same with Roman though I think most of us would agree that Roman's booking has been way less entertaining as a whole and I don't believe he has the crowd support that Cena had, even at the peak of "CE-NA SUCKS" days.

And for TNA, my breaking point of sorts came when the whole program started revolving around Hogan. I liked Immortal at first but as months passed I became very disenchanted with how heavily Hogan and other vets were being featured over the likes of Styles, Joe, etc. And any time Dixie was also in the mix was basically torture.

@Ed it's funny you bring up JBL because I was fairly young when he was WHC but I fucking loved his reign. I liked the theme and the limo and his voice. It also helped that he had those bloody brawls I was enamored with as a young fan.
    ​​​​​​​​ 2019 KOWC

HOW ABOUT YOU READ THESE THINGS?

WC's Greatest Superstars in WWE History
    Burn It Down!: The Top 25 Matches of Seth Rollins' Career

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

I don't have a breaking point. Despite everything the WWE does to push me away, I'm back in the saddle again next week. Just how it is.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Everything, I think. I stopped watching during Mahal's title reign and the HHH reign of terror but even after the fact I haven't gone back to watching as much as before.

Some factors:
    - a general dislike for the modern WWE style.
    - the show is far too clean, scripted and over produced. WWE jargon and buzzwords making everything feel very fake and corporate.
    - a lack of time in my life to sit down for 5 hours a week.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

30 Days of WC Member's Choice - Coming Soon - PM me match suggestions

Shock Reviews Archive

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

Established Veteran

Status

JBL winning the WWE title. One of my most disliked superstars of all time. I stopped watching Smackdown for almost a year and tuned in following WM21.

Never liked CM Punk so whenever he was featured I skipped Raw during his never ending 14 month title reign. Thank you Rock!!

Didn’t watch Smackdown as much during Jinder Mahal’s awful reign. Haven’t watched much wrestling since 2015. I just watch clips on YouTube of Raw and Smackdown. Just don’t have the time. Sometimes watch the big four events but I do need to catch up with some of the ppvs that I’ve missed such as MITB 2018 and SummerSlam. Will check it out when I order Survivor Series.

Last Real Man Hype

Status

I don't think I missed a single ROH show from mid-2007 until late 2016. I defended a lot of things they did that were breaking points for a number of posters here, that I did genuinely enjoy even if it wasn't the same quality as the glory days. Then the product just became gradually more and more like the WWE and the combined factors of Kevin Kelly and Steve Corino essentially playing your dad and drunk uncle on commentary, Delirious' lazy and often self indulgent booking (HE BOOKED HIMSELF AND SYDAL TO GO OVER THE FUCKING NEWLY CROWNED TAG TEAM CHAMPS WHY WAS NO ONE EVER AS PISSED OFF ABOUT THAT AS ME?!) and general incompetencies of management just kept ROH from being "cool" again.

But the exact match that broke me was Matt Jackson vs Matt Taven on one of their house show DVDs. The entire match was Taven and Adam Cole stooging for just one Young Buck, the pair eating Superkicks constantly with a painfully unfunny, massively overrated commentator Steve Corino losing his mind. Why was this so extra bad at the time? Cole just re-established himself as the company's top heel a couple shows ago at a PPV. Now he's essentially getting killed in a handicap match by one Buck. I cannot get into the Bucks/Elite/Bullet Club schtick for the life of me and it turned me off ROH completely to see them pandering to this. The success that it's brought them by doing this made it clear this wasn't going away, so I just got off the boat. Bullet Club and many other piling annoyances, but it was this match that was the last straw. I didn't finish that show.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakstang
    You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information