Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 College Football Discussion Thread

Status
      Country                    United States

2018 College Football Discussion Thread

Since college football season officially starts Thursday, I think it's time to start a college football discussion.

Anyways, let's begin!

I'm excited about college football in general.

And I have to being honest here. It seems that every Bama fan wants Tua Tagovailoa to start over Jalen Hurts. I have to disagree with them. Hurts is 26-2 at Alabama and on offense, he happened to carry us to the national game, twice. I totally understand he struggled against Georgia in the CFP National Championship game and was replaced by Tua to bring life to the team. I truly honor his heroics of the comeback and making the now iconic 2nd and 26 play called Seattle, to seal their seventeenth national title 26-23 in overtime. I would rather have Hurts over Tua based on experience and the wins he accumulated.
    Last edited by Doom; 08-29-2018 at 09:34 PM.

FANTASY SPORTS CHAMPIONSHIPS
    BASEBALL: 2014 | FOOTBALL: 2016 | BASKETBALL: 2017-18, 2018-19

Status

Re: 2018 College Football Discussion Thread

College football season is officially here!

I've watched a little bit of the Northwestern/Purdue game Thursday night. The turnovers by Purdue cost them them the game with three, while Northwestern didn't turn the ball over once. Purdue managed to fight back, but ran out of gas. Still, it was a good game.

Here's my prediction for the big Week 1 games:

ORST vs. #5 OSU - 41-13
    FAU vs. #7 OKLA - 44-20
    #17 WVU vs. TENN - 27-17
    #6 WASH vs. #9 AUB - 31-23
    LOU vs. #1 BAMA - 41-10
    #14 MICH vs. #12 ND - 38-27
    #8 MIA vs. #25 LSU - 33-20
    #20 VT vs. #19 FSU - 28-24

Status

Nothing many good games going on this time of the day, except the #23 Texas/Maryland game. Texas has made a huge comeback to get back in the game from being down 24-7, to being down by two going into halftime with the score of 24-22. Outstanding comeback for the Longhorns!

BRO

Status

I hate that the Bulldogs aren't playing a top team. I want to see how great the teams gonna be, and can't really tell from a game like this.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Blazy Blaze View Post
    I hate that the Bulldogs aren't playing a top team. I want to see how great the teams gonna be, and can't really tell from a game like this.
    Not everyone's gonna schedule a tough opponent from the get-go. Alabama plays Duke in their first game next season. We'll smash them when that day comes.

BRO

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Drakkon View Post
    Not everyone's gonna schedule a tough opponent from the get-go. Alabama plays Duke in their first game next season. We'll smash them when that day comes.
    Oh I know haha, just hate opening the season this way. Oh well it’s a W I’ll take it.

Status

Not bad in our 51-14 victory against Louisville.

I've said that Jalen should start the game and have Tua play afterwards, but boy I was wrong. Tua really shined out there going 12 for 16 completions in the passing game 227 yards and three touchdowns, compared to Jalen's stats consisting of 70 yards passing going 5 for 9. I still think Saban should play both of them in the next two games.

There are a couple of things I didn't like in the game. Our main concern going forward is our kicker. Our kicker reminded me of the kicker we had last season, Andy Pappanastos. He can't kick worth a shit and he needs to get better, especially going into these SEC games. We can't afford another heart attack if he either makes the field goal or screws up by missing it.

Our second problem, big deal or not, is our second string defense. I still find it unnecessary that our team gave up a touchdown minutes before the game was over. I know Saban wasn't too pleased neither, but our second string needs to still play their game. They'll get better though.

Moving on to other games.

The Michigan/Notre Dame game was a closer game than I thought. Despite the Fighting Irish's victory, I'm unsure about the quarterback Wimbush's performance against the Wolverines. He went 12 for 22 170 yards passing with a touchdown and a pick each, not too impressive by the senior quarterback. I think he'll struggle this season if he doesn't improve.

I'm happy for Auburn beating Washington 21-16. I knew this game was gonna be competitive and close when they competed. Malzahn had that offense pacing themselves, making the Washington defense keep up. Auburn's quarterback Stidham played well in that game completing all but ten of his 36 passing attempts against the Huskies' defense. I think he'll continue to keep his composure as long as the team keeps him honest.

I couldn't believe Maryland pulled off an upset by beating #23 Texas 34-29, with the controversies and tragedies happening before the season. It's a very uplifting victory for the Terrapins after all the heartache the problem had to go through. Congrats guys!

What a crazy opener for West Virginia to lay a smackdown on Tennessee, beating them 40-14. Fucking Will Grier really lit the Bank of America Stadium up going 25 for 34 with five touchdowns, 429 yards against the Vols' defense. If Grier starts a hot streak in the next 2-3 games, he'll be a dangerous commodity to the Mountaineers' offense.

War Eagle

Status

After watching the first couple of series of the Auburn-Washington game, I thought for sure we were gonna blow the doors off them. Their defense looked like it couldn't keep up, meanwhile our front seven seemed to overmatch them and give Browning no chance whatsoever. But, unfortunately the offense sputtered and couldn't put the ball in the end zone. Luckily our defense is disgustingly great. Our corners need to learn to turn and look for the ball when it's in the air, though, gave up way too many PI penalties. I've been telling my friends for weeks that our front seven is arguably the best in all of college football; I won't argue if people think Clemson, because they're just as fantastic.

No idea why anyone would think Jalen was going to start that game. Not even really sure why they played him at all, to be honest. To not claim to have a starting QB all throughout the spring, then to only given Hurts that many snaps (based on the stats, I wasn't dare going to watch that beat down, already knew what was going to happen), is rather pathetic honestly. Tua is obviously the better QB of the two of the them, Hurts isn't going to regain his spot, everyone knew this the moment Tua slung it all over Georgia in the National Title game. So just announce Tua as the started, Jalen will get his degree and transfer away.

As for Bama as a whole, with Tua at QB, my...god. Most complete Alabama team I've seen in a long time.

Hail To The King

Status

Irish had the game won and just sailed to end not that it was a good thing.

Coach Harbough better be careful that seat of his is hot.

Miami lost is a shock to me and I think WV might be scary did you see Will Grier guy is a stud and looking like a franchise qb

I

Spoiler:

CWA World Heavyweight Champion
    Brayden Bridges

Status

Quote Originally Posted by OMB View Post
    Irish had the game won and just sailed to end not that it was a good thing.

Coach Harbough better be careful that seat of his is hot.

Miami lost is a shock to me and I think WV might be scary did you see Will Grier guy is a stud and looking like a franchise qb

I
    I was very impressed on how well LSU played Miami overall. LSU's defense jumped on Miami early and held them to three points for three quarters until they start to give up huge plays that gave the Hurricanes two touchdowns in the fourth quarter. Unfortunately, LSU's schedule's fucking mayhem. Here's their schedule (not including cupcake games):

9/15 - at Auburn
    9/29 - Ole Miss
    10/6 - at Florida
    10/13 - Georgia
    10/20 - Mississippi State
    11/3 - Alabama
    11/10 - at Arkansas
    11/24 - at Texas A&M

Yikes!

LSU will need every bit of luck going through carnage of the SEC games.

War Eagle

Status

I didn't watch any of that game but is there QB any good? I feel like every season LSU has this complete team, except their QB is just dreadful.

WWF- 1991 And Beyond

Status

Quote Originally Posted by CNEW2 View Post
    I didn't watch any of that game but is there QB any good? I feel like every season LSU has this complete team, except their QB is just dreadful.
    He was very erratic, but managed the game just fine. Their O Line was opening up craters and they just kept gashing them. Sooner or later teams are gonna start packing the box, forcing him to throw. So yeah, basically same song and dance from LSUs offense.

I'm your Huckleberry

Status

WVU started off the season well.

And you can't beat the greatest tradition in College Football...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBl0G9bDo1M

Buddy if you try to take my rights you're in for one hell of a fight
    When it comes to my Constitution I'm a true believer
    Come to my house I'll tell you right now, I'll give you my gun
    When you pry it from my cold dead hand, start with my middle finger

Chikara Trainee

Status

Gotta love the effort App State put forth against Penn State. Losing the game in overtime hurt, but I feel this team is running the table and hopefully gets recognition by the AP and gets in the Top 25 before too long.

Status

Alabama may have a huge lead against Arkansas State, but what the hell?! Our kicker has missed two PATs in the game! He's making our previous kicker Andy Pappanastos looking real good if he keeps it up.

War Eagle

Status

So LSU has a mediocre QB and Bama doesn't have a kicker...Ahhh, welcome back SEC Football, welcome back.

Status

To no surprise, Alabama annihilates Arkansas State 57-7. Complete snooze-fest, but the team still looked good. Tua continues to stay consistent going 13 for 19 for 228 yards and four passing touchdowns. Hurts did alright. I was disgusted when Hurts tried to be a hero by trying to jump over a defender for a touchdown, fumbling the damn ball on the one-yard line. Our kicker Austin Jones had a bad showing in that game. Missing two PATs back-to-back isn't gonna cut it. Joseph Bulovas will be our kicker if he can execute the damn field goals. Jones is a punk ass Pappanastos 2.0.

Man I knew the Clemson-Texas A&M game would be a very close game, because of the matchup history of both Dabo Swinney and Jimbo Fisher dating back to 2010 in their first meeting. But toward the end of the game, it pissed me off that they called Quartney Davis' play a fumble in the end zone for a touchback, instead of going out of bounds for a 1st and Goal and stopping the clock. I think Texas A&M got robbed out of the call by the refs. But yet, it was still a really good game.

I'm extremely shocked to see Kentucky beat Florida for the first time in 31 seasons. It's gonna be a long season for Dan Mullen and the Gators after that huge upset.

Should anyone be worried about Notre Dame after their game against Ball State? Wimbush was just awful, throwing three interceptions and fumbling the ball. That was a horrible game.

Anyways, that's my two cents for Week 2 of the college football season.

Status

Syracuse came to play against Florida State. I'm shocked to see the Orange up 20-0 against the Noles going into the fourth quarter.

Meanwhile, Troy's beating a 2-0 Nebraska team 17-13 at this moment and Temple's beating Maryland 28-14 on the road.

Upset Saturday anyone?
    Last edited by Doom; 09-15-2018 at 07:07 PM.

Status

I want to take back of Florida State being upsetted. Their defense is awful. They gave up 80 points in three games, starting with Virginia Tech, then Samford, and finally Syracuse.

The team's horrible with Willie Taggart as head coach.

Hail To The King

Status

Lsu beating auburn i hope so that ND keeps movin up

Spoiler:

CWA World Heavyweight Champion
    Brayden Bridges

Thread Information