Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 2018 College Football Discussion Thread

War Eagle

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: 2018 College Football Discussion Thread

Yes he does. Kid could be quite electric for Auburn for the next several years, but I think he'll be playing second-fiddle to Seth Williams because that kid is an absolute monster. While this year has been an utter disappointment, at least there's so much young talent to be excited for for the future.

THEY COULD'VE BEEN GODS~!!!

Status

Les Miles, who led LSU to the national championship in 2007, is working toward finalizing a deal to become the next head coach of the Kansas Jayhawks, sources confirmed to ESPN on Saturday.

Sports Illustrated first reported the news.

Miles, who hasn't coached since being fired by LSU in September 2016, would replace David Beaty, who said Nov. 4 that he was informed he would not return as coach after this season.

Kansas athletic director Jeff Long and Miles know each other from their time at Michigan in the late 1980s and early '90s.

Miles, who turned 65 last Saturday, is 141-55 in 15-plus seasons as a head coach at LSU and Oklahoma State.

Kansas also spoke with Los Angeles Rams assistant Jedd Fisch and former Arizona State, Pitt, Tulsa and Rice coach Todd Graham about the job, according to a source.

The Jayhawks (3-7) face No. 6 Oklahoma on Saturday.

On Thursday, LSU announced it had reached a settlement with Miles for a one-time, lump-sum payment of $1.5 million on his remaining guarantee from the school. He still had been owed $6.5 million in guaranteed salary after being fired.

At the time of his dismissal, Miles was owed about $9 million, to be paid in monthly installments until 2023. But Thursday's agreement absolves LSU of any remaining funds owed to Miles, who coached the Tigers from 2005 to 2016 and went 114-34.

"It's time for both parties to move forward," LSU athletic director Joe Alleva said in a statement. "One of the challenges of the buyout that was in place was there just wasn't a lot of incentive to move on to other things. We were looking to provide that, and Coach Miles and his representatives also were ready."
    If it ends up being official, it'll be great to see Les Miles coach football again for the 2019 season.

I still think LSU firing Miles in 2016 was unnecessary because they lost to Auburn 18-13. But that's in the past and I'm looking forward to see Miles turn the Jayhawks around next season.

FANTASY SPORTS CHAMPIONSHIPS
    BASEBALL: 2014 | FOOTBALL: 2016 | BASKETBALL: 2017-18

The Diplomatic Shadow

Status

Interesting, considering all the talk of him potentially going to the NFL.

My Maine Black Bears can secure the CAA title today with a win, and get a first round bye and home field advantage going forward in the post.
    My whims will become lightning bolts that raze the mounds of humanity

Status
    What a scare in the first half against The Citadel. We played like crap before we got our shit together in the second half, and ran away with the 50-17 victory. They can't start off slow against Auburn next week or it'll be deja vu like today's game.

Maryland gave Ohio State the fucking game, while the Terrapins had many chances to stage an upset. Like some coaches with no common sense, Maryland's coach went for two in OT to win the game instead of taking it to the second OT. Two-point conversion failed, game over, OSU wins 52-51! SMGDH!
    Last edited by Fuji Vice; 11-17-2018 at 05:17 PM.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Drakkon View Post
    Maryland gave Ohio State the fucking game, while the Terrapins had many chances to stage an upset. Like some coaches with no common sense, Maryland's coach went for two in OT to win the game instead of taking it to the second OT. Two-point conversion failed, game over, OSU wins 52-51! SMGDH!
    Eh, if they'd converted they would have won the game without having to take their chances in a second OT. Given their record this year, I think it was worth a shot.

Ask Fuji|2018 Movie Log

Help decide WC's Fave Five Western Movies~!

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Fuji Vice View Post
    Eh, if they'd converted they would have won the game without having to take their chances in a second OT. Given their record this year, I think it was worth a shot.
    I understand Fuji, and yes we've had this conversation before. It's a gamble and rewarding to win, but why do It? Do you want another chance to win by going to another OT, or try to go for two knowingly you might lose it and let you, your team and your fans down?

The Diplomatic Shadow

Status

Statistically, it was the right choice. Just because it wasn't executed properly doesn't mean it wasn't the right choice.

The Mayor of Slamtown

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Drakkon View Post
    I understand Fuji, and yes we've had this conversation before. It's a gamble and rewarding to win, but why do It? Do you want another chance to win by going to another OT, or try to go for two knowingly you might lose it and let you, your team and your fans down?
    Your logic is faulty because you fail to realize that eithercway, you knowingly might lose it and let everyone down.

The Diplomatic Shadow

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Sayer View Post
    Your logic is faulty because you fail to realize that eithercway, you knowingly might lose it and let everyone down.
    Well, to be fair...He's a fan of team that pretty much doesn't lose.....Ever. And they are unhappy when they don't win in a blowout.

The Mayor of Slamtown

Status

I look forward to hearing once again how Notre Dame plays no one, despite them blowing out Number 12, a team that took Clemson to the brink.

The Diplomatic Shadow

Status

I would hazard to say that Notre Dame plays a tougher schedule, all things compared, to Bama. :P

The Mayor of Slamtown

Status

Michigan looks like they've overlooked Indiana.

Mid-Card Champion

Status

The Citadel....why?

#GrimLove

Status
      Country                    Japan

Might just be me, but if you're a coach in any level of football and you're down by one point after scoring a touchdown so close to the end of overtime, why wouldn't you go for two points? Logically, you do not want to ever give your opponent any prospective chance of scoring, irregardless of how good your defense is. According to this, on the NFL level, if you go for two, you have a 48.2% chance of converting. That is high enough to justify it, late game and down by one. If you're running the ball, your chances of converting are increased by a whole 13.5%.

So, if you score a touchdown and are still down by one, deep in the fourth quarter, you should ALWAYS go for two, ideally through running.

Jobber

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Barrows View Post
    Might just be me, but if you're a coach in any level of football and you're down by one point after scoring a touchdown so close to the end of overtime, why wouldn't you go for two points? Logically, you do not want to ever give your opponent any prospective chance of scoring, irregardless of how good your defense is. According to this, on the NFL level, if you go for two, you have a 48.2% chance of converting. That is high enough to justify it, late game and down by one. If you're running the ball, your chances of converting are increased by a whole 13.5%.

So, if you score a touchdown and are still down by one, deep in the fourth quarter, you should ALWAYS go for two, ideally through running.
    Because 48.2% is less than 50%, whereas some kickers are practically 100% on extra points. The question is less "will this work most of the time" and more "will my offense score against this defense this time". Remember that in college football both teams get the ball at least once.

Most important is the perception. These coaches want to keep their jobs (or move on to bigger and better things) and perception is important to that. If you lose a game in overtime, that's one thing. If you lose the game by 1 point because you didn't kick the extra point, you look like a dumbass. If you beat a weaker opponent by 1 point, you may as well take them to overtime. If you're perceived as the superior team, winning in overtime isn't that different than by one point. If the two teams are equal, then yeah, go for it.

War Eagle

Status

Notre Dame isn't a better team than UCF...just ask the UCF QB

Only a couple of more days until I can just completely ignore the Iron Bowl and later find out we lost by 24+.

Thread Information