Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Peyton Royce Calls Out Dave Meltzer

Yooooo Mang

Status

Peyton Royce Calls Out Dave Meltzer

Looks like Dave Meltzer put his foot in his mouth and the WWE women aren’t to happy. He said Peyton Royce looked better in NXT and threw in some body shaming. She responded with class on Twitter Renee Young and Beth Phoenix commented. I can’t upload pics from Tapatalk or I’d screenshot it all. I’m sure it will be everywhere soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

THE MAN

Status
      Country                    England

Re: News And Rumors Tidbits. *May Contain Spoilers*

https://twitter.com/PeytonRoyceWWE/s...75450044866566

Here's the quoted tweet from Peyton that includes the audio clip from Meltzer.

Whether you like, respect, or hate Meltzer, he's unofficially the leading voice in wrestling journalism/analysis based on his popularity and experience so to hear him come out with comments like this are pretty sad and actually pretty regular, this has only blown up because the wrestler has replied to the comments. I know the 'she was lighter in NXT' comment are about her new tits and not her weight, but that doesn't excuse anything. There are legitimate things to critcise Peyton (and Billie) about because their call up has not worked out so far, they've not have impressive matches, their gimmick is pretty samey and cringy, their promos are change the channel bad for me, but her looks aren't anything to do with why this hasn't worked out and why she used to be more enjoyable in NXT. I'm sure these ladies have enough insecurities and body confidence issues around the pressures to look their best without Big Dave using looks as his main critique when commenting about them. His apology on twitter completely missed the point 'I'm sorry, you're an exceedingly attractive woman'.

He seems to have an agenda against boob jobs, but he'd never speak ill of Charlotte Flair's boob jobs because he's pals with Ric.

Yooooo Mang

Status

Re: Peyton Royce Calls Out Dave Meltzer

It’s just in real bad taste. A man of his experience and reach should have known way better. Of all the things to criticize in this day and age With evolution coming. Just very very stupid. And his apology was even stupider.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Status
      Country                    United States

Dave has been doing shit like this for years. Whenever Conrad reads from the observer on his show (which I can't really even listen to anymore) Dave goes after any women with breast implants, at least ones that aren't related to wrestling legends.

Established Veteran

Status
      Country                    Wales

Meltzer in being a tit shocker...i'm sure he'll do it again by the end of the year.

As for some of the replies....Tom La Ruffa's are good haha.
    I have a plan so cunning......

Hail To The King

Status

I love peyton royce and you can see that she isnt a diva or anything Metlzer goes on to say fuck him

Spoiler:

CWA World Heavyweight Champion
    Brayden Bridges

Prince Of Joshi

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

You would think by now Meltzer would rather be worrying about other things then her looks. WWE is misusing her and she isn't doing herself any favors with what they are giving her lately since debuting on Smackdown. Let's talk about that Meltzer you bobohead!

Real Women of Genius
    Ongoing, click the link if you want to take a tour of Women's Wrestling
    It's Morphin Time: A Mighty Morphin Walkthrough

Last Real Man Hype

Status

It was inappropriate, but I wouldn't say he's "worried" about her looks. It was a careless remark made at the end of a separate criticism about her, as a "by the way", not a "Goddammit, it has to be said!" type of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakstang
    You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

The Diplomatic Shadow

Status

lol Meltzer.

I'm not sure what's more hilarious, Meltzer or the people who take him seriously and his word for gold.

He says something moronic a handful of times a year, and is just a journalist who gets it right sometimes and that's about it.
    My whims will become lightning bolts that raze the mounds of humanity

Status

What a piece of shit. Like women in this field don't have enough shit to endure, they don't need the medium's top journalist body-shaming them.

Meltzer oughta be ashamed, and his apology was cringey. "You're a very attractive woman," fuck off you patronizing piece of shit.

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread
    WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Walked With Elias Before Anyone, #Iconic

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

[footnote: Is now the longest reigning WWE Champion in Smackdown history]

The Diplomatic Shadow

Status

I don't know why he went the route of going after her looks in the first place.

Why not say something about not liking her ring work instead?

Sure, you may agree or disagree on whether she is good or not in the ring. If he said he thinks she sucks in the ring, that's one thing.

But going on that she doesn't look good? That's Trump Esque.

THE MAN

Status

Bryan has come out of this with not much criticism for sitting there while this is going on and then interjecting with 'by the way no-one is saying Peyton is unattractive'. He's guilty too for not recognizing what his co-host is saying is in poor taste and just letting it slide.

The Diplomatic Shadow

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Bryan has come out of this with not much criticism for sitting there while this is going on and then interjecting with 'by the way no-one is saying Peyton is unattractive'. He's guilty too for not recognizing what his co-host is saying is in poor taste and just letting it slide.
    Sounds to me like he's just trying to stay in good terms with Meltzer, and really doesn't give a damn.

Quote Originally Posted by TB12 View Post
    I'm not sure what's more hilarious, Meltzer or the people who take him seriously and his word for gold.
    Honestly, the Meltzer detractors are far worse than his supporters. They're a lot more vocal and are more prone to spouting out random garbage. I've seen it countless times on various sites that someone will post a news rumor that was not said by Meltzer or the Observer and yet people replying to the thread will use it as a means to bash Meltzer and discredit him. At least on WC, I can't recall a single person ever being someone who sucked on Meltzer's dick 24/7, yet there's been many members that have made a side hobby in insulting him, whether he was the one being discussed or not.

As for the actual Meltzer comment, was it a wise comment? No, but does he deserve all of the hate he's been receiving online? Absolutely not. How many people here have never commented on a female wrestler's looks in a non-positive way before? She literally works for a company that has had a horrendous history with how they treat their women, both in front and behind the cameras. Yet it's some big deal that Meltzer said Royce looked better in NXT?

Furthermore, if you listen to the actual portion of the episode where this was discussed, it actually goes on longer than the selective 55 second that was posted on Twitter. In it, both Meltzer and Alverez went deeper into expressing why the Iiconics aren't working and how it's everything that has been lowered in quality from NXT,, not just Royce's looks. When you have an act that is all about being eye candy, it's only natural that people are going to be judging them on their looks as well.

His apology is where I agree with others far more. For a guy who has made a living for so many years due to his ability to write well, his apology came off as more cringy than anything else. Unlike his initial comments on the radio show, the apology was something he actually had time to think about and choose his words carefully.

Status

He made a much better apology on the WON board that seemed pretty sincere and I'm not gonna lord it over him too hard, but he definitely owes Peyton an apology closer to that one and less like the one where he hit on her a little.

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread
    WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Walked With Elias Before Anyone, #Iconic

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

[footnote: Is now the longest reigning WWE Champion in Smackdown history]

The Diplomatic Shadow

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Honestly, the Meltzer detractors are far worse than his supporters. They're a lot more vocal and are more prone to spouting out random garbage. I've seen it countless times on various sites that someone will post a news rumor that was not said by Meltzer or the Observer and yet people replying to the thread will use it as a means to bash Meltzer and discredit him. At least on WC, I can't recall a single person ever being someone who sucked on Meltzer's dick 24/7, yet there's been many members that have made a side hobby in insulting him, whether he was the one being discussed or not.

As for the actual Meltzer comment, was it a wise comment? No, but does he deserve all of the hate he's been receiving online? Absolutely not. How many people here have never commented on a female wrestler's looks in a non-positive way before? She literally works for a company that has had a horrendous history with how they treat their women, both in front and behind the cameras. Yet it's some big deal that Meltzer said Royce looked better in NXT?

Furthermore, if you listen to the actual portion of the episode where this was discussed, it actually goes on longer than the selective 55 second that was posted on Twitter. In it, both Meltzer and Alverez went deeper into expressing why the Iiconics aren't working and how it's everything that has been lowered in quality from NXT,, not just Royce's looks. When you have an act that is all about being eye candy, it's only natural that people are going to be judging them on their looks as well.

His apology is where I agree with others far more. For a guy who has made a living for so many years due to his ability to write well, his apology came off as more cringy than anything else. Unlike his initial comments on the radio show, the apology was something he actually had time to think about and choose his words carefully.
    I'm pretty sure anyone who really cares much either way about some journalist is wasting their time.

It's one guys opinion on things, and a lot of the stuff he has said over the years has been laughably wrong. Some scarily correct.

Why anyone really cares one way or another about the guy is beyond me.

But it's pretty obvious he's a prick.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Quote Originally Posted by TB12 View Post
    I don't know why he went the route of going after her looks in the first place.

Why not say something about not liking her ring work instead?

Sure, you may agree or disagree on whether she is good or not in the ring. If he said he thinks she sucks in the ring, that's one thing.

But going on that she doesn't look good? That's Trump Esque.
    Wrestling has always been an aesthetic industry. How many times do people talk about male wrestlers that look out of shape or looking like they've been on steroids for breakfast (e.g Baron Corbin or Alberto Del Rio)? All the time. Whether people like it or not, how a person looks is a huge part of wrestling, male or female, just as it is in any TV show or movie. That's why it was brought up. I think he's wrong and out of touch, but it's understandable why he would discuss the looks of any wrestler.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

"Above Average"

Status

In my opinion, the current roster has the most beautiful women they've ever had before. They've never had so many truly beautiful women at one time. And to me, Peyton Royce is at the top of that list.

Now that I have that out of the way, I too have been learning more about Meltzer's sexist comments lately on Something to Wrestle with Bruce Prichard. Specifically any show they've done about Sable. Some of the comments he made about Sable literally made my head spin and made me wonder why the #MeToo stuff hasn't come back to bite him in the ass. I'm sure it hasn't just been about Sable, but I have not ever nor will I ever be a subscriber to the Observer, so I wouldn't know the extent of his vendetta against beautiful women. But this was just bad.

That being said, I felt like he might have been pressured into giving the comment by Alvarez. It was Dave's fault for traveling into that territory with the "I don't even wanna say it" comment, but Alvarez seemed to want to say it. This was just a case of not thinking before you speak, in my opinion. Dave seems pretty meaningful in his apologies, but he needs to apologize to a lot more women than just Peyton, if you ask me.

Just another case of Meltzer being a goof.

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    This is my main annoyance with the "outrage". It was definitely a stupid comment and Meltzer should have known it would come back to bite him in the ass (although how Alverez has escaped this with no blood on his hands is beyond me) but the irony of WWE stars and fans having a go at Meltzer regarding body shaming when they work/support for a company who were subtlety making fat jokes in a womens storyline less than six months ago is hilarious. Plus like others had mentioned, WWE is a very aesthetic company and both women and men are judged/pushed/held in a higher regards than others for their looks so Meltzer making an off the hand comment really shouldn't be shocking to anyone. Feels more like people just wanted a reason to shit on him and this gave them their opening.

So yeah stupid comment to make from Meltzer but the hate coming from it is just as stupid.

THE MAN

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jim
    I mean he doesn't deserve over the top hate to where people are then saying worse things than he did, but I think he definitely deserves criticism and should use this as a chance to learn from his mistake.

WWE does have a horrendous HISTORY of treating and presenting their women. They have a horrendous history on a lot of things. That doesn't other give people a pass to say whatever they want because WWE lacks a moral compass a lot of times. Regardless they are making waves in trying to improve their presentation of the women and they have been educating fans for years now to take the women as serious as they take the men. Very few of the women are presented as purely just eye candy, only Mandy Rose really is that lacking in character. That shift seemed to have escaped Dave's notice.

Furthermore, if you listen to the actual portion of the episode where this was discussed, it actually goes on longer than the selective 55 second that was posted on Twitter. In it, both Meltzer and Alverez went deeper into expressing why the Iiconics aren't working and how it's everything that has been lowered in quality from NXT,, not just Royce's looks.
    While it is always better to listen to things in their full context, I'm not sure in this example it makes things look better for Meltzer. Even if he's listing other things wrong with the act, he still believes that one of the reasons the act isn't working is because she had plastic surgery and now (in his opinion) isn't as hot as she used to. It doesn't matter if he gave 9 other reasons why Peyton isn't working out on the main roster, he still believes that to be a factor in her not being over which I just think is an out of touch opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by CGS View Post
    This is my main annoyance with the "outrage". It was definitely a stupid comment and Meltzer should have known it would come back to bite him in the ass (although how Alverez has escaped this with no blood on his hands is beyond me) but the irony of WWE stars and fans having a go at Meltzer regarding body shaming when they work/support for a company who were subtlety making fat jokes in a womens storyline less than six months ago is hilarious.
    But surely there's a difference between a scripted heel character on television saying something about a babyface's appearance to get heat, and the leading wrestling journalist giving his own real life thoughts on a wrestlers appearance in his analysis as to why her career is stalling? Alexa Bliss the real life person isn't going around commenting on people's looks.

Thread Information