Thread: "The Top 10 Workers in the world are all in NJPW"

WAKE UP

Status

"The Top 10 Workers in the world are all in NJPW"

The thread title is a comment by Dave Meltzer recently, where he expressed the opinion that the NJPW roster is stacked and the best workers in the world are all in this promotion.

Put aside your thoughts on the Meltz - what is YOUR opinion on this statement?

My gut says this is almost certainly nonsense - however I will reserve judgement.

Do you agree? Is this the greatest roster in wrestling history? Are EVIL, Tama Tonga and SANADA super workers?

If so, who are these 10 Best In The World guys and why are they the best?

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: "The Top 10 Workers in the world are all in NJPW"

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    The thread title is a comment by Dave Meltzer recently, where he expressed the opinion that the NJPW roster is stacked and the best workers in the world are all in this promotion.

Put aside your thoughts on the Meltz - what is YOUR opinion on this statement?

My gut says this is almost certainly nonsense - however I will reserve judgement.

Do you agree? Is this the greatest roster in wrestling history? Are EVIL, Tama Tonga and SANADA super workers?

If so, who are these 10 Best In The World guys and why are they the best?
    I can't say I completely agree or disagree because I don't watch enough NJPW. I prolly watch just a few shows every year. But I can't imagine this could possibly be true. I will say there can be no debate they have the best roster in terms of match quality. Still, I can't imagine there are 10 wrestlers in New Japan better than WALTER, Pete Dunne, Tyler Bate, Fenix or even Bryan, Styles and Rollins, looking at the full scope of what makes a wrestler great.

Scumbag Role Model

Status

The G1 right now is backing up that statement as false if you ask me. There’s not enough consistency with this roster and only the really extraordinary really shine.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

WAKE UP

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Nicky View Post
    The G1 right now is backing up that statement as false if you ask me. There’s not enough consistency with this roster and only the really extraordinary really shine.
    I didn't expect to defend the roster here, but in fairness the G1 is a series of long spotlight singles matches back to back on the trot over a very short space of time. Even workers who are very good aren't going to consistently deliver every night in that context. They will have a couple standout matches and a bunch of solid matches.

However, the truly elite - workers of a prime Daniel Bryan, Samoa Joe, AJ Styles, Misawa, Kawada, Kobashi, Santo, Terry, Flair, etc. level - will. Is anyone on the roster on that level?

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

I strongly disagree with the statement but coming from Dave, I'm not surprised at all. He has been a strong admirer of the New Japan product, being very extreme about it such as the star ratings, constantly mentioning them as the best company in the world etc. I myself struggle to make a top 10 list because there is so many wrestlers out there and there is loads of context of what makes them great. For example, AJ Styles is a tremendous wrestler but has hardly shown it for a few years. We all have different biases and see things differently from others so I can see why Dave might believe what he said.

But if I HAD to make a list, it would most likely be something like this: Kazu Okada, Tomohiro Ishii, Kento Miyahara, Timothy Thatcher, Hirooki Goto, Daniel Bryan, Katsuhiko Nakajima, AJ Styles, Cesaro & Walter. This is mostly a mix of what I know they can do and how well I enjoy them and think of their abilities. I could probably swap a few out for others if you count on what they done recently.

And I don't think I can say New Japan has the best roster ever either. It's very good but not the greatest. Also, New Japan is a very top heavy company and it's hard to shine unless you're in that spot. Ishii is a great example of that. Most of the time he is in the opening tags where he shines in those matches but is often forgotten about by the end of the shows over the bigger matches. But when the G1 and New Japan Cup comes around, he is shining. So it would be very hard to gauge if it was the best roster ever. Doubt it though.
    Last edited by MC 16; 08-07-2018 at 05:18 PM.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

BTB Legend

Status

Comment

In case anyone is interested, what Meltzer actually said was that the ten best wrestlers in the world MIGHT be in New Japan.

https://twitter.com/voiceswrestling/...97789627076608

BTB Newcomer of the Year 2012
    BTB of the Year 2012

Status

Re: Comment

Quote Originally Posted by EgoFantastico View Post
    In case anyone is interested, what Meltzer actually said was that the ten best wrestlers in the world MIGHT be in New Japan.

https://twitter.com/voiceswrestling/...97789627076608
    Feel like that doesn't make a huge difference as far as the discussion is concerned but I appreciate your dedication to the facts.

I hadn't even thought of Cesaro and Thatcher when I first posted.

Last Real Man Hype

Status

You probably hadn't thought of Cesaro because how often these days is he in a position to show off the full range of his talents?

Quote Originally Posted by Dakstang
    You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Marketh View Post
    You probably hadn't thought of Cesaro because how often these days is he in a position to show off the full range of his talents?
    Literally never. He's still in his peak age though and would be one of the most sought after talents on the indy/international scene.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Cesaro (like Tomohiro Ishii) is another great example of someone who is BITW potential (and he is in the discussion for me) but is never able to show it. Loads of wrestlers are in that ilk and that's why it's a hard topic to discuss I guess.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

THE MAN

Status

I think it was a throwaway comment he said on a WON radio show and then never listed any names and they moved onto a different topic. However, you only have to look at his ratings to know that Meltzer himself probably thinks the best wrestlers in the world in his opinion do work for New Japan.

Looking at it as a hypothetical argument regardless of whether Big Dave meant it or not, New Japan is the company that probably has the most wrestlers in the world today performing at the highest quality; Ishii, Ibushi, Hiromu, Sabre Jr, Juice and Ospreay I would all have in that top 20 category for best wrestlers of 2018 with a few more like Sanada, Omega and Naito on the periphery because they are inconsistent and The Bucks (as much as I hate to say it) have been one of the better teams this year. Compare that to what we're currently getting in WWE and well it just doesn't add up because not very many are having good years.

Also, output Vs ability comes into play because as much as I like him, Will Ospreay is not a better wrestler than Cesaro (admittedly an odd comparison), Seth Rollins isn't a better wrestler than Daniel Bryan and if Neville was allowed to wrestle either on the indies or on 2018 205 Live, then he'd look like one of the best in the world.

Final comment for now, almost everyone who follows independent wrestling in the UK and the US would probably have Walter in their top 10. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the one that Meltzer has his 'might' hesitation over because he loves him in PWG.

WAKE UP

Status

Re: Cesaro

The Bar had a great year last year - programs with The Hardys, Ambrose/Rollins and The Usos were all great. I would say they got the best out of both the Hardys and Ambrose/Rollins in years. I would imagine Cesaro's 2017 would stack up against anyone in NJPW's.

This year they've been pretty quiet due to Sheamus's injury and other teams getting pushed, though.

THE MAN

Status

The Bar made a 30 minute ironman match with broken down Matt and broken down Jeff entertaining. They were certainly great last year.

Tag team wrestling in general is something the main roster has really regressed with in 2018. It was the best part of their product last year.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Any time Cesaro has been given a chance, he generally delivers top quality matches. But like Ed said, WWE and Tag teams haven't been the best combination this year. Even at Wrestlemania he (and Sheamus) were given a rough deal, amusing as it all was.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

On Vacation

Status

What's with the count in New Japan?

As far as just action goes it's hard to beat New Japan. But, as we know far more to pro wrestling than actual athletic ability, just ask Dusty Rhodes, Hulk Hogan.

Old

Status

Yuji Okabayashi isn't in NJPW and is one of the very best workers there is at the moment, and has been since 2015.

A Big Japan Pro-Wrestling main stay for quite some time is essentially the forerunner of the new wave Japanese Strong Heavyweight style, basically a style where big guys beat the living shit out of other big guys with lariats, slams and chops. A very no-nonsense style and Yuji Okabayshi can get great matches out of anyone regardless of their style or abilites, Oh and his selling and willingness to sell for others is just amazing.

Imagine if Tomohiro Ishii was a tall Olympic weightlifter and that is Yuji "Golem" Okabayashi.

NJPW is super hot so all eyes from all over the world are on it, I get that but there is still incredible talent elsewhere too

Thread Information