Thread: WWE German Fan Favorites II Home Video Review

WWE Network WWE German Fan Favorites II Home Video Review

German Fan Favorites II
    October 24, 1994

Once I saw the title of this Coliseum Home Video, I had to watch it. After all, while there’s still plenty of major Coliseum Home Videos yet to be uploaded to the WWE Network (Such as the Best of the WWF 1-20 series), the Network is already diving deep into the archives to find tapes released in other countries. But wait...WWF German Fan Favorites isn’t obscure enough for the Network. Oh no. They’ve diving deep down enough to find WWF German Fan Favorites the sequel! The sheer randomness of the Network at times is awe inspiring.

We open up the tape with its host, Gorilla Monsoon from the WWE Studio. Apparently WWF German Fan Favorites was SUCH a hit that the fans demanded another edition. Although this does beg a question, if this is a tape designed for the German fans, why is Gorilla Monsoon its host and why is he speaking in English? I know the WWE had shows shown in Germany, surely they had some German commentators.

Bret Hart vs Shawn Michaels - Cage Match
    From December 1993. Since this is a pretty obscure tape, some of these matches are tough to know exactly when they’re from, but considering a taped cage match between these two were released on two home videos, including the Bret/Shawn Blu-Ray from some years back, it seems like a safe bet that this is the same one. The Europeans sorta got fucked over when it came to Coliseum Home Videos since nearly all of the matches were just taken from proper Coliseum Home Video releases. This match felt a lot like a trial run for Bret/Owen at Summerslam 1994. It was very much so a jungle gym match-up where the actual moves weren’t all that important and it was all about escaping through the door or climbing the cage. In fairness, both men took some decent bumps from the side of the cage, including both being crotched. The commentating team of Gorilla Monsoon and Johnny Polo were really likable. Much like Gorilla and Stan Lane, they’re a forgotten mid 90s duo that had some great banter, even if they never got to cover anything important. The similarities between this match and the Summerslam ‘94 match became abundantly clear in the finish where it’s the exact finish from Hart vs Hart. Bret would slam Michaels’ head against the side of the cage, HBK would lose his balance with his leg slipping through the cage hole, and would find himself trapped upside down while Bret jumped down to win the match. For a dark match over the course of a Superstars taping, it was good, but obviously missing all of the epic feel of the Hart vs Hart classic. ***

Razor Ramon © vs Diesel w/Shawn Michaels - WWE IC Title
    From the April 30, 1994 edition of Superstars. Surprisingly, this is the first time I’ve ever watched this historic match. For context sake, we’re just a month removed from Wrestlemania 10. With Michaels taking a break from wrestling in order to do some commentating and hosting The Heartbreak Hotel talk show, Diesel is able to be given a push into being more than just a bodyguard. Although Razor came charging into this match, it didn’t take long before Diesel took over, slowly working over Ramon as we went into a commercial break. Although Diesel’s offense isn’t all that entertaining, commentators, Vince McMahon and Jerry Lawler, is doing a swell job at adding excitement, making this feel like a big time match. Spot of the match for me came when Diesel was cranking away on Ramon’s neck, but Razor picking the big man up into an Electric Chair before dropping on his back. Razor’s offense was split between trying to find ways to get the best of Diesel while also coping with HBK’s attempts at interfering. While Razor did luck into sending Diesel flying into Michaels when Michaels was trying to remove a turnbuckle pad, HBK ended up falling hard to the floor below with the pad. One Diesel whip into the corner later, Razor’s back is injured and he’s easily put away with a Jackknife to crown a NEW WWE IC Champion. At the time, I’d actually consider this to be a massive upset. Razor had just achieved the biggest victory of his career at Wrestlemania 10 and Diesel hadn’t been treated as anything other than Michaels’ hired muscle. Along with his Royal Rumble ‘94 match performance and being carried to a good match by Bret Hart at King of the Ring, this match was an early sign that big things were in store for Big Daddy Cool. And okay match all things considered, but their rematch at Summerslam 1994 would be better. For you trivia nerds, this would be the final title switch on Superstars. ** ½

Lex Luger vs Jeff Jarrett
    From April 1994. How’s this for some super geeky random trivia? This same match appeared on the US Coliseum Home Video, Paul Bearer’s Hits from the Crypt, that was released a couple of months later, but the copy of the match on this tape is missing Jarrett’s full entrance that was shown on Paul Bearer’s Hits from the Crypt. This match is kinda fascinating simply because we’re weeks removed from WM 10, an event where Luger could have walked out as WWE World Champion. Yet in kayfabe, Luger looked awful in this. The commentators, Gorilla Monsoon and Stan Lane, can’t get over how sluggish Luger looks in his slow start. Despite facing a lowcard comedy heel, Luger gets dominated for the vast majority of the match. Jarrett easily avoided a pair of charges in the corner and thwarted several other attempts of offense and comeback by Luger. Lex Luger, former #1 babyface, is now being utterly destroyed by Jeff f’n Jarrett. Honestly, I’m embarrassed for Luger. Since most of the match is just Jarrett casually in control and Luger unable to build up any excitement, I can’t say I was into it. The one saving grace is that Luger is able to pull out the victory with a very brief comeback with a pair of lariats before forcing Jarrett to submit to the Rebel Rack (Torture Rack). Congrats, Luger, you barely beat a lowcard heel who kept stopping to play to the crowd. This may just be a random Coliseum Home Video exclusive, but the booking perfectly summed up Luger’s role in the company post-Summerslam 1993. **

Tatanka vs Crush - Lumberjack Match - King of the Ring Qualifying Match
    From the June 6, 1994 edition of Monday Night Raw. This is a rematch from the previous week where the KOTR qualifying bout ended in a double count-out. This time out, we have twenty lumberjacks including Razor Ramon, Yokozuna, Owen Hart, IRS, The 1-2-3 Kid, and The Smoking Gunns. According to McMahon, it was an unprecedented decision by WWE President, Jack Tunney, to have these two wrestle again to determine who will enter the KOTR. Meanwhile, it was literally just last year that Mr. Perfect and Doink the Clown ended up working three different matches before Perfect finally earned his way into the tournament. Considering Crush is already announced as teaming with Yokozuna to challenge for the WWE Tag Titles at King of the Ring, there really isn’t much doubt as to who is going to win this. The stupidity of the KOTR tournament shined through due to the fact that throughout the match, we’re constantly reminded of Tatanka’s feud with IRS and how Crush had screwed over Lex Luger in Luger’s qualifying match. On a normal PPV, you’d end up seeing Tatanka/IRS and Crush/Luger as matches, but going into KOTR, we know that Luger/Crush can’t happen and even if Tatanka qualifies, he wouldn’t be able to meet IRS unless they both made it to the finals. So what’s even the point of having feuds? Going nearly twenty minutes long, I believe it’s one of the three longest Raw matches of the year. Twenty minutes for Tatanka vs Crush. Two guys that aren’t capable of having standout matches against talented men, let alone against each other. Crush’s sole strategy is to keep going back to various rest holds. If he’s in control, it’s almost a sure thing that he’ll slap on a hold and lay on the mat for awhile. What kept this match from being entirely dull were the lumberjacks. Not only were they willing to get involved, but they often bickered with each other. One such highlight saw Billy Gunn just up and surprise Bigelow with a punch in the face. As we came up to the finish, Crush was on the outside, easily thwarting all of the babyfaces trying to get him back into the ring. That brought out Luger to knock Crush out with his steel forearm and roll him back into the ring for his buddy, Tatanka, to steal the pinfall to officially qualify for the KOTR tournament. After both men had been feuding for months and cost each other KOTR qualifying matches, you’d think that this would lead to a big Luger/Crush match. Instead, it doesn’t happen at King of the Ring or Summerslam, instead happening on Sunday Night Slam, the revamped Summerslam Spectacular event that aired a week before Summerslam. Not a good match and frankly, I don’t know why they wasted 20 minutes here and 8 minutes the previous week on Tatanka vs Crush. * ½

The Undertaker w/Paul Bearer vs Bam Bam Bigelow
    From May 1993. Although I realize that Bigelow wasn’t an amazing worker and often needed a good opponent to help produce a good match, it blows my mind that the WWE wasted so many terrible wrestlers on The Undertaker when Bam Bam not only fit the role of a monster, but was far better of a worker than the likes of Kamala, Giant González, King Kong Bundy, Ted DiBiase’s Undertaker, ect. Although the match was short, I dug it for what it was. You not only had Bigelow sometimes struggling to overpower The Deadman, something Bigelow wasn’t used to, but you also got to see plenty of over the top reactions out of The Beast from the East whenever Taker sat back up after a series of falling headbutts. Once Bigelow realized that nothing he was trying was working, he opted to just bail on the match, only to be stopped by his then rival-Tatanka. In full sight of the referee, Tatanka would deliver a series of chops as he sent Bam Bam back into the ring, where Taker was readying to hit a chokeslam to win the match. Bammer totally got screwed over in this match. As I expected, this was pretty decent and made me wish that they had had a PPV match. ** ½

Yokozuna © w/Mr. Fuji and Jim Cornette vs Bret Hart - WWE World Title
    From Wrestlemania 10. Again, Lex Luger gets screwed when the special guest referee for this match is revealed to be Roddy Piper (As opposed to his referee of former rival, Mr. Perfect). The commentators try to claim there may be problems between Bret and Piper due to their Wrestlemania 8 match, but they went into that match and left as friends. That's hardly the same thing as the Hennig/Luger feud. During his entrance, Hart is limping due to his injured leg. While Yokozuna never focuses any attention on the injured body part, Bret limps on it for the majority of the match and does his best to remind everyone that he's not at 100%. The match isn't as good as their previous Wrestlemania 9 bout, but Bret and Yoko always had enough chemistry to produce something decent at best. Yokozuna dominates while Bret is left to try and battle back here and there. Cornette tries to interfere, but Piper isn't having any of it. When Cornette pulls Piper out of the ring during a Bret cover, Piper pays Cornette back by punching him out. Bret tries jumping off of the middle rope onto Yoko, but Yokozuna catches him and delivers his belly-to-belly suplex. Yoko goes up for the Banzai Drop, but the ropes are slippery from all of the action during the night that he slips. Bret moves out of the way and Yoko crashes hard, hitting the back of his head on the mat. Bret is quick to jump on Yokozuna and Bret gets the three count to become the NEW WWE World Champion. Just an average match, but it ends the show on a MUCH higher note than if the final match had been Luger/Yoko. ** ½

The Quebecers © w/Johnny Polo vs The Headshrinkers w/Afa and Capt. Lou - WWE Tag Titles
    From the May 2, 1994 edition of Monday Night Raw. This one had been building up for weeks with Jacques and Pierre ducking Samu and Fatu at every turn until WWE President, Jack Tunney, ordered this match. The set-up for this is also incredibly random as Capt. Lou came back to the WWE to challenge The Quebecers and just like that, The Headshrinkers were now being treated as faces. Shockingly, I actually really liked this, with it even being my pick for the best match of the tape. Truthfully, I wouldn’t say it’s because of the work in the ring. I recently watched their rematch at the KOTR ‘94 preview show, Countdown to the Crowning, and it wasn’t anything special. Here though, you have to give the WWE credit for putting in the effort to make this feel important. Early on, you had the commentators bringing up Capt. Lou’s past success at bringing tag teams to the WWE Tag Titles, not just naming Afa/Sika, but also The Yukon Lumberjacks and The Moondogs. Obviously though, the emphasis is on The Wild Samoans and whether or not The Headshrinkers can succeed and officially reach the peak as the new generation of Samoan tag champions. To keep from having a similar result as Wrestlemania 10, while The Quebecers and Polo attempted to walk out to keep their titles, the referee made the decision that if the champions are counted out, they’d also lose the titles. Again, it’s all about making this title match feel important. From there, we get a long Fatu face-in-peril sequence that wraps up with Samu getting the hot tag, but his flurry of offense comes to an abrupt end when he finds himself accidentally getting his neck tied up in the ropes. Finally, since this is all about teamwork, it only makes sense that the finish is built around The Quebecers struggling to work together while The Headshrinkers succeeded. Jacques would accidentally miss Samu and deliver a forearm to Pierre. Pierre, upset about what just happened, would punch out Jacques while Samu got the hot tag to Fatu. One double Skull Crushing Finale later, Fatu is up to the top rope, delivering a splash to get the pinfall and to crown NEW WWE Tag Team Champions. A small fireworks display would go off and it’s a very satisfying finish. Even though it’s just The Headshrinkers winning, the crowd was seemingly into everything done in the match. It’s a memorable way to kick off a thoroughly unmemorable tag title reign and the last quality tag match from The Quebecers. Well this was a pleasant surprise. ***

Diesel © w/Shawn Michaels vs Lex Luger - WWE IC Title
    From the July 18, 1994 edition of Monday Night Raw. After all of these years, I still don’t know if I had ever watched this match. I know I wasn’t able to see it when it originally aired due to staying over at a friend’s house that Monday. The match has been on a couple of home video releases including another Coliseum Home Video entitled Slamfest 1995 and then The Best of Raw: Seasons 1 & 2 DVD, which sadly they never did release a sequel to look at 1995-1996 Raw. This is a super rare meaningful title defense from Diesel. Despite winning the title back in April, all of Diesel’s televised matches were either against jobbers, non-title matches, or tag matches until losing the title back to Razor Ramon at Summerslam ‘94 except for this match. I get that they were all about pushing the hell out of Diesel, but the IC Title is supposed to be defended in meaningful matches on a regular basis. In this match, it’s all about Diesel being booked like a dominant monster. He overpowered Luger at every turn and had enough aggression that he came across as a dangerous foe. Multiple times throughout the match, the commentators referred to Diesel as “The uncrowned WWE World Champion” due to what happened at King of the Ring 1994 with Bret Hart only retaining the title due to Jim Neidhart’s interference. Despite the fact that Diesel dominated, Luger didn’t have such a pathetic showing as he did against Jeff Jarrett earlier in the match. Besides, at this point in the WWE, there isn’t anyone more dominant in the company than Diesel. Quite the far cry from being controlled by Double J. It seemed like they sweetened the crowd quite a bit, but I’m not complaining because it did help me get more into the match near the end when Luger made his comeback. There’d be a ref bump, Luger would pick Diesel up in the Rebel Rack, but HBK would jump into the ring to deliver a super kick to the back of Luger’s neck. Although Luger would manage to kick out once the referee recovered and Diesel covered, it was clear that Luger wasn’t going to be able to win this match. Instead, Razor Ramon came out to prevent Michaels from interfering any longer, but all that amounted to was Michaels jumping into the ring, being knocked out by Luger and the referee calling for the bell once Razor joins in on the fun. Luger is sent to the outside while Razor looks to have everything in control, but gets overwhelmed by the numbers until Luger is able to make the save. Luger fails in another title match and Diesel’s IC Title reign produces another unmemorable moment, what else is new? Match was okay, but considering the match came the week after the incredible Bret Hart/1-2-3 Kid match, it obviously can’t compare. ** ¼

Back to Gorilla Monsoon to wrap up the tape. Monsoon GUARANTEES that there will be a German Fan Favorites III due to the demand. Spoiler: there wasn’t one.

Overall
    My original point of the sheer bafflement of creating a tape to be released in Germany, yet not bothering to bring on German commentators still stands out the most to me about this tape. I enjoyed the tape for what it is, but it feels like such a half assed attempt when they couldn’t even be bothered to bring on the normal WWE German commentators to re-call the action and you know...have a host that actually speaks German. As I also said, this is a very typical European release where all of the matches are mostly just taken from other Coliseum Home Video releases. Yet, I can’t say this is a bad tape. For starters, all three major WWE Titles switched hands in various matches on this tape. Every title change happened on a different event too, with Wrestlemania 10, Raw, and Superstars all seeing title switches in 1994. By this point, some of these Coliseum Home Videos could feel pretty irrelevant, but this tape managed to feel important for its time frame. If you haven’t seen it, I’d suggest watching The Headshrinkers/The Quebecers simply because of how hard the WWE tried to make it feel like a big deal. For a tape that I watched solely because of how crazy obscure the title seemed to be, this was enjoyable.

ʕノ•ᴥ•ʔノ ︵ ┻━┻

Status
      Country                    Marshall Islands

Re: WWE German Fan Favorites II Home Video Review

As far as I know was the first part of this a thing where readers of the (German) WWF Magazin could send in matches they want to see. Then the people from the Magazin drawn lots for the sent wishes of the readers. That Magazin worked together with Polygram/Coliseum on this. ...and the first part seems to have german commentators. I found different sites where you can see the packaging of the VHS tape, which is in German and has German as the spoken language on the VHS. I could be wrong, but maybe they actually released those tapes on English and on German

PS: The first volume starts with a "Don't drink and drive ad" with the Undertaker...and if I understand it correctly from that german review I see before my eyes, Heenan and Monsoon are actually making commentary especially for this tape...or at least for the start of this tape, because Heenan actually shoves in some german words.
    Last edited by The Loocha Bear; 08-04-2018 at 10:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Loocha Bear View Post
    As far as I know was the first part of this a thing where readers of the (German) WWF Magazin could send in matches they want to see. Then the people from the Magazin drawn lots for the sent wishes of the readers. That Magazin worked together with Polygram/Coliseum on this. ...and the first part seems to have german commentators. I found different sites where you can see the packaging of the VHS tape, which is in German and has German as the spoken language on the VHS. I could be wrong, but maybe they actually released those tapes on English and on German
    Before each match, a title card would come up mentioning the name of the person who requested the match. Since it's Coliseum Home Video, I figured it was all BS since no one could have possibly believed some of the past fan requested matches from the late 80s.

I had a difficult time finding the cover for this tape. I ended up just going on England's eBay and finding someone selling a copy with some pics. Going on the German eBay and I see the same cover on an item that is listed as being the original German copy.

Tbh, I think I would have preferred had the WWE just used the original German copy of the tape to add to the Network. All of the matches are already easy to find elsewhere on the Network, having the tape in German would have made it all the more of an obscure watch.

PS: The first volume starts with a "Don't drink and drive ad" with the Undertaker...and if I understand it correctly from that german review I see before my eyes, Heenan and Monsoon are actually making commentary especially for this tape...or at least for the start of this tape, because Heenan actually shoves in some german words.
    Those late 80s/early 90s PSA were wild, man. Nothing can compare to having Jake f'n Roberts tell you to avoid doing drugs.

Although Monsoon was involved in several segments on Vol 2, he never once bothered to say any German words, so if Vol 1 has Heenan attempting some words, that's effort they didn't even bother doing for the next one.

ʕノ•ᴥ•ʔノ ︵ ┻━┻

Status
      Country                    Marshall Islands

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Tbh, I think I would have preferred had the WWE just used the original German copy of the tape to add to the Network. All of the matches are already easy to find elsewhere on the Network, having the tape in German would have made it all the more of an obscure watch.
    I understand what you mean. For a non-german speaker this would be a fine obscure thing to find...on the other hand Günther Zapf and Carsten Schäfer were always damn bad. I mean, I respect their work, especially for how long they doin' it, but man...It's Cole level.

Those late 80s/early 90s PSA were wild, man. Nothing can compare to having Jake f'n Roberts tell you to avoid doing drugs.
    Oh that sounds just lovely

EDIT:
    Also...if they'd done a REAL German favorites matches, this tape would be filled to the brim with Bret Hart matches. He was THE HOFF of Wrestling. (...and no, Hasselhoff ain't no god to most Germans...). I mean what Bret said about the German fans in his Hall of Fame induction ceremony speech was just on the point. Bret was huge here.
    Last edited by The Loocha Bear; 08-04-2018 at 10:46 AM.

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

I was kind of hoping this tape would actually just be the best matches that took place throughout the years when the WWF was touring Germany. Obviously that's not the case, but I agree with Jim in the fact that the tape seems quite good, with some fun/important matches on it.

In this 'WWE Network' era, no real reason to watch it though as I can just pick a majority of these matches up during the event they actually took place on.

Also, I can't help but feel slightly jaded knowing that Bret/Owen cage match was basically a copy of a previous Bret/Shawn match. Considering I'm such a big man of the match, it annoys me a little and makes it lose some of its lustre.

Quote Originally Posted by The Loocha Bear View Post
    I understand what you mean. For a non-german speaker this would be a fine obscure thing to find...on the other hand Günther Zapf and Carsten Schäfer were always damn bad. I mean, I respect their work, especially for how long they doin' it, but man...It's Cole level.
    Ah, but that's the thing, I don't know German, so even if those two commentators are annoying, it's not as if I would understand them. So as long as their voice and accents weren't bad, it'd be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Stojy View Post
    I was kind of hoping this tape would actually just be the best matches that took place throughout the years when the WWF was touring Germany. Obviously that's not the case, but I agree with Jim in the fact that the tape seems quite good, with some fun/important matches on it.
    That would make far too much sense.

There are some Coliseum Home Videos that are built around the theme of showing matches from when the WWE is out of the country. The previous year, Coliseum Home Video released "Global Warfare", a tape highlighting WWE's April 1993 European tour with matches from England, Spain, France, and Italy.

In this 'WWE Network' era, no real reason to watch it though as I can just pick a majority of these matches up during the event they actually took place on.
    You could also argue you could just throw on this tape to watch a few title changes instead of having to open up Wrestlemania 10, an episode of Raw, and whatever other Coliseum Home Video that the IC Title switch is on.

Also, I can't help but feel slightly jaded knowing that Bret/Owen cage match was basically a copy of a previous Bret/Shawn match. Considering I'm such a big man of the match, it annoys me a little and makes it lose some of its lustre.
    I mean, every match is practiced to some degree. Take the other big match of 1994, the ladder match, you had to know that Michaels took his experience from his 1992 ladder match against Bret and figured out what would be good to include in the Mania match.

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

I mean, every match is practiced to some degree. Take the other big match of 1994, the ladder match, you had to know that Michaels took his experience from his 1992 ladder match against Bret and figured out what would be good to include in the Mania match.
    I get what you're saying but I think it just irks me a little knowing a match I hold as one of my personal favourites isn't original. Not just bits and pieces but the entire 'genius', entertaining finish as well. Bothers me. Not sure if it should, but it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Stojy View Post
    I get what you're saying but I think it just irks me a little knowing a match I hold as one of my personal favourites isn't original. Not just bits and pieces but the entire 'genius', entertaining finish as well. Bothers me. Not sure if it should, but it does.
    At the same time, Bret/Shawn teaches us that a layout and a finish isn't everything. Hart/Hart nailed the emotion and they also managed to not only reach expectations, but also exceed them. For Bret/Shawn, it was just a dark match to be released on some home videos. As long as it didn't actively suck, it was good enough. Hart/Hart was a title match on a PPV. It had to be great, which isn't exactly an easy thing when they went into the match knowing that they couldn't bring the violence like you typically could in cage matches. At the risk of ruining another match for you, Hart/Hart from WM 10 isn't all that different from Bulldog/Hart from Summerslam. They both featured finishes where Bret thought he was outsmarting his family member with an attempt at sort of roll-up, but it was countered into the pinning position for Bret's loss.

Chikara Trainee

Status

Sounds like a good tape. Wonder if any of these matches are already on the Network?

Quote Originally Posted by LibSuperstar View Post
    Sounds like a good tape. Wonder if any of these matches are already on the Network?
    I counted at least five. Obviously the WM and Raw matches were already on the Network. The cage match was also in the Bret/Michaels collection too. They were uploaded to the Network at the same time, but as I mentioned in the review, Jarrett/Luger can be found on another Coliseum Home Video that's on the Network.

Chikara Trainee

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jim
    I counted at least five. Obviously the WM and Raw matches were already on the Network. The cage match was also in the Bret/Michaels collection too. They were uploaded to the Network at the same time, but as I mentioned in the review, Jarrett/Luger can be found on another Coliseum Home Video that's on the Network.
    Definitely gonna check out the cage match.

Thread Information