Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stojy watches Impact Wrestling at random

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

Stojy watches Impact Wrestling at random

I guess pretty similar to what I'm doing with the WWE Network but a little less random. I'll just tune in here and there to random bits of Impact Wrestling and be sure to give everybody my thoughts on what I see.

Hopefully I'll actually get some good matches in this thread because so far, the WWE Network one hasn't really delivered in that regard. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

BIG KAIJU~

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

Re: Stojy watches Impact Wrestling at random

I know you want to keep it random, but I would advise keep it random early on in that 2004-2008 range when it comes to Matches early on. I would say that span had some classic Matches left and right especially in the X-Division and Knockouts Division.

Real Women of Genius

The place to see the best of best of Women's Wrestling from all over the World

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Sadio HoHo View Post
    I know you want to keep it random, but I would advise keep it random early on in that 2004-2008 range when it comes to Matches early on. I would say that span had some classic Matches left and right especially in the X-Division and Knockouts Division.
    I definitely agree with this. 2002 - pre Hogan was the time period where I was an avid every week must follow fan for Impact. As things have progressed, I've fallen out of love with it, and then kind of only just been interested again over the course of the past month.

I one hundred percent agree with the recommendation however because there was a big period of stuff I missed (even if it most of it was terrible), I'm going to include the companies complete timeline. This way if I get some old terrible matches at least I'm only stuck watching one at a time, which I can deal with. Plus this may help me fill in the blanks of all the stuff I've missed.

I'm actually really excited for this due to the fact that there is so much potential 'unknown' in this for me. I'll stop rambling now and hopefully actually watch something sometime soon.

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

Barbed Wire Massacre III – oVe vs. LAX (Impact Wrestling, January 18th, 2018)

Look, I feel like this match tells two different stories. The story of how the match was if you watch it as a standalone match, but also the story of watching the match and whether expectations were met, considering the way the company hyped the shit out of this. Obviously in these matches there isn’t a lot of psychology other than “holy shit, let’s throw this guy into the barbed wire” and that’s pretty much what we got for the most part. There were some impressive spots throughout the match such as: a Death Valley Driver onto a Barbed Wire Board, Sami Callihan and Homicide having an epic fork war, the use of alcohol in the match, Jake Crist getting wrapped in the Barbed Wire to the point where he needs to be cut out to move, wooden spikes getting stuck in the head of Dave Crist, and of course Santana dropping Dave with a Superplex off of a ladder through two tables to get the win. All fun stuff and the type of brutality you should see in these types of matches. All men took some risks throughout which was nice, and of course there was the obligatory Konnan spot as well, getting revenge on Callihan for the fireball to the face a few weeks earlier. Oh and Callihan landed a Tombstone Piledriver onto a chair wrapped in Barbed Wire which was cool as well.

Here’s the thing though, I’m pretty sure Impact Wrestling sold this match as “to violent for tv” and only aired the match on Twitch. I’m sure this was part of promoting the partnership, however this match definitely wasn’t too violent for tv. Yes, there were some cool, brutal spots but that’s about it. I was also disappointed as I don’t think you can have a Barbed Wire match without blood, it defies logic in a sense. Especially with Jack Crist dressed all in white, I was hoping for some stained clothing but instead we got nothing. Without the blood, why did this need to not be on tv? I really think the company over sold this which means whilst the match was good enough, it didn’t meet the expectations that I had set because of the hype job.

With that being said, I appreciated the effort from all six of the guys, and I’ve still given them a decent rating for a good if not spectacular match.

BIG KAIJU~

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

Yeah it was on their Twitch Channel that they showed after Impact that week, which to me I wished it Main Evented I dug it that much. LAX and oVe have been two of the best signings for their Company over the years and it all started to roll hard when Sami joined them and gave them an element they were sorely missing.

Real Women of Genius

The place to see the best of best of Women's Wrestling from all over the World

"Above Average"

Status
      Country                    United States

Stealing my gimmick, brudda! Or did I steal your gimmick? Oh well. I’ll keep doing my gimmick anyway ��

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Sadio HoHo View Post

Yeah it was on their Twitch Channel that they showed after Impact that week, which to me I wished it Main Evented I dug it that much. LAX and oVe have been two of the best signings for their Company over the years and it all started to roll hard when Sami joined them and gave them an element they were sorely missing.
    I agree with this statement in the sense that this could have easily main evented any weekly show. There were still certain elements of the match I didn't like and I'm not sure they quite lived up to the hype/stipulation, but considering the feud these two teams had, no problem with it main eventing a show. It probably would have been nice if the crowd wasn't so dead outside of one little "this is awesome" chant as well. A little disappointing but a good crowd can add so much sometimes.

Stealing my gimmick, brudda! Or did I steal your gimmick? Oh well. I’ll keep doing my gimmick anyway ��
    ]
    Figured I'd just start my own because sometimes I like to write a little more in depth reviews and don't want them to get lost in the shuffle before I post my next one. It's a good gimmick though, I'd say more then one can roll with it, because I enjoy reading yours to.

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

Match Two – Reality Check vs. Chris Avery Queling, Delroy and Habib (BRACE for Impact, February 3rd, 2018)

Usually I’d be all behind having a six man tag match open up the show, because it’s bound to be fun, somewhat fast paced and get the fans into the show. I was a little concerned however that these were all Wrestle Pro guys in the opener just because well, I’m here for Impact, I barely even know anybody from Wrestle Pro. Despite my concerns regarding kicking off a noteworthy event with some relatively unknowns, I thought the match delivered. You had the loud mouthed heels with KM probably being the best in terms of character, despite the fact that his move set seems limited. Habib from the car wash killed it both in terms of offense, was a great seller and had a nice comedic touch to his work. I definitely want to see more from this guy in the future.

After an initial burst from the faces, this followed a pretty formulaic path with the heels beating down Habib for awhile, before the hot tag was made. Delroy seemed to only have one move, so he just used it on all three opponents before tagging in CAQ. CAQ is the Gold Champion but his gimmick of being an escaped mental patient is a pile of shit, however probably didn’t see enough of him to make a call on whether he’s any good.

The match broke down in the end as these matches tend to do and everybody got a shot at nailing their finish. CAQ landed his finish last which is a lacklustre Clothesline to the back of the neck but it allowed the faces to big up the victory, in a match that I was somewhat impressed by. I thought Reality Check did a great job of carrying the match throughout and they look like a trio who could be on to bigger and better things.

The aftermath saw KM attack CAQ before challenging him to a match for the belt with CAQ being able to choose any stipulation. Just before Reality Check get through the curtain, CAQ recovers and names a steel cage match as his choice, and KM loses his mind. A really solid start to the show which was even more important considering this event was the first of its nature.

**3/4
    Last edited by Stojy; 08-05-2018 at 06:20 AM.

[Knockin' on Heaven's Door]

Status
      Country                    England

I take one look at that thumbnail and can see instantly why it wouldn't be on TV, c'mon guys

To me the argument is if you're gonna book a match like that, why not save it for PPV where not only does it match the hype, but also means you can air it properly?

"Above Average"

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Stojy View Post
    I agree with this statement in the sense that this could have easily main evented any weekly show. There were still certain elements of the match I didn't like and I'm not sure they quite lived up to the hype/stipulation, but considering the feud these two teams had, no problem with it main eventing a show. It probably would have been nice if the crowd wasn't so dead outside of one little "this is awesome" chant as well. A little disappointing but a good crowd can add so much sometimes.

Figured I'd just start my own because sometimes I like to write a little more in depth reviews and don't want them to get lost in the shuffle before I post my next one. It's a good gimmick though, I'd say more then one can roll with it, because I enjoy reading yours to.
    Aw man I was just messing around. I don't have a gimmick! Lol the more the merrier if you ask me. Good stuff so far!

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Postman Dave View Post
    I take one look at that thumbnail and can see instantly why it wouldn't be on TV, c'mon guys

To me the argument is if you're gonna book a match like that, why not save it for PPV where not only does it match the hype, but also means you can air it properly?
    I agree with this point completely. Considering the hype they put behind this match and the feud that oVe and LAX were in the middle of, you'd assume this match would be on PPV. Plus then we maybe could have had some actual blood. I understand the idea of the company wanting to put a big match on Twitch to promote their partnership, but this definitely shouldn't have been the one.

Aw man I was just messing around. I don't have a gimmick! Lol the more the merrier if you ask me. Good stuff so far!
    Haha all good, I know you were. If you are looking for a change of gimmick though, Habib from the car wash was over as fuck.

"Above Average"

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Stojy View Post
    I agree with this point completely. Considering the hype they put behind this match and the feud that oVe and LAX were in the middle of, you'd assume this match would be on PPV. Plus then we maybe could have had some actual blood. I understand the idea of the company wanting to put a big match on Twitch to promote their partnership, but this definitely shouldn't have been the one.

Haha all good, I know you were. If you are looking for a change of gimmick though, Habib from the car wash was over as fuck.
    "Above Average" Mike Sanders is my avatar. I'm as over as I can humanly stand to be.

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Codename Bags View Post
    "Above Average" Mike Sanders is my avatar. I'm as over as I can humanly stand to be.
    Definitely a fair point that you make.

I'll hopefully watch another match and update this with something relevant at some point today.

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

Match Three – Colby Covington vs. Tyquil Woodley (BRACE for Impact, February 3rd, 2018)
    UFC Welterweight Championship Match

This wasn’t necessarily a match and more of a segment, and just a way for Colvington to be a dick towards T Woodley. I hate Covington but bringing out the fat Tyquil and knocking him out was just a little bit of fun. Colby’s trash talking in the UFC as well as his promo cutting ability here is terrible though. He is not as charismatic as he likes to think he is. Still, it wasn’t the worst publicity stunt in the world and I did find it mildly entertaining. It was good that this only lasted 13 seconds in terms of the actual fight though otherwise it would have got boring really quickly.

Highlight was easily the announcer imitating Bruce Buffer though. Not sure who he was but guy did a fantastic job.

No star rating for this one either.

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

Match Four – Chris Payne and Matt Sydal vs. The Heavenly Bodies (BRACE for Impact, February 3rd, 2018)

So Payne comes out first and this is initially supposed to be Sydal versus Payne in a one on one contest; however The Heavenly Bodies and their manager come out and attack Sydal. They are doing it for Payne as he is part of their faction; however Payne isn’t happy with them showing up. Payne gets on the mic and calls their manager a dirt bag before saying he would team with Sydal to take them on, because they are not the greatest tag team in the world.

The match itself was a standard tag team match with The Heavenly Bodies eventually settling into an isolation period and keeping Payne away from able to make the tag. Considering it was a tag match, it did feel a bit frustrating a few times when Payne could have went for the tag, but stupidly went for an extra couple of moves. It just felt way to telegraphed and didn’t come across natural at all. Payne is pretty athletic for a big bloke, able to leap over the top rope and take out his opponents on the outside.

Eventually Payne demolishes The Bodies, before tagging in Sydal to land a Shooting Star and get the pin. I found it quite frustrating that Sydal barely did anything, however the commentators sold it had something to do with the higher power that leads him on. Surely not Vince McMahon this time? Anyway, outside of one talent just standing on the apron for the whole match, this still probably did its job of being a solid tag match.

**1/4

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

Match Five – Moose vs. Shawn Donovan (BRACE for Impact, February 3rd, 2018)

Look, Donovan clearly tried really hart, consistently yelling at the crowd and mocking the “Moose” chant, but he still really wasn’t getting much of a reaction. The match followed a basic formula with the heel dominating in the early stages, and then the face coming back towards the end. Despite going outside the ring a couple of times, nothing during Donovan’s offense ever felt like it was doing any real damage. Not once did I believe that Moose was in any real trouble, which made it difficult to get into the match.

Moose on the other hand, has a fun move set, so when he did power up and run through Donovan, I enjoyed the Buckle Bomb and the Delayed Dropkick. Once upon a time, when Lashley was around, it would have bothered me that they both use the Spear, but I guess it doesn’t matter now. Moose looks smooth with his offense, getting the win with a Spear, but this felt too much like a squash when it clearly wasn’t supposed to. **1/4

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

Match Six - Nikos and Nikki Rikos vs. Braxton Sutter and Allie (BRACE for Impact, February 3rd, 2018)
    Intergender Tag Team Match

WrestlePro has some pretty strange gimmicks but then some that hit the mark as well. Much like Habib from the car wash, I like the gimmick of the Greek cousins, Nikos and Nikki. Made it even funnier by the fact that Nikos, at least a few timed, yelled “OPAAAA” as they made their way to the ring. Tremendous stuff. The negative regarding this duo would have to be Nikos’ ring attire. It was disgustingly bad with half his upper body covered up and then the opposite half of his lower body covered up, of course in the Greek white and blue. Whilst the gimmick is a laugh, it’s hard to take them seriously when he looks so terrible.

As for the match itself, it was nothing special from a work rate perspective, just a standard tag match. Due to the fact that this is an indy show, the camera work at times feels a little off as well. The one thing they did do well was use the stipulation and the different characters values well in this match. When Sutter was in the ring with Nikki, he refused to touch her, when Nikos was in the ring with Allie, he tried to beat her up, despite copping some of Allie’s terrible looking forearms.

The ending played off of this as well as Sutter leapt off the top rope but landed on his feet, as Nikki got in between Sutter and Nikos. Allie then spears Nikki to the mat and the two brawl outside of the ring, which distracts Sutter long enough for Nikos to hit him with the Backstabber and get the three count.

This was smart as it continues to allow for the troublesome relationship with Sutter and Allie to have troubled, and finally, some WrestlePro talent actually get a win. The match wasn’t anything to write home about, in fact some of the in ring work, especially with the women was quite underwhelming, but the smart use of the stipulation and ring psychology gives the rating a slight boost.

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

Match Seven – Bobby Wayward vs. Teddy Hart (BRACE for Impact, February 3rd, 2018)

Originally scheduled here was Eddie Edwards vs. Bobby Wayward but Edwards hadn’t been cleared to compete after being beaten with a bat by Sami Callihan on Impact. Concussion is the issue so Edwards comes out and apologises to the fans, before Wayward comes out. He gets some nice heat, insulting the fans and Edwards, telling them they are scared of him and he wants a referee to raise his hand. Edwards says he has a surprise for Bobby and it’s Teddy Hart.

Considering I’m watching basically this whole show just in parts, I can safely say this was the best match of the night so far. Wayward had an awesome heat sequence starting off with a pre match attack. Scott D’Amore on commentary said “It was a Pearl Harbour attack and I can say that because there are no Asians in this match”. Well okay, holy shit. Anyway Wayward was impressive here with Hart getting no offense, and a few highlights were a Back Suplex onto the ring apron and an Exploder Suplex.

Eventually Teddy Hart got on top, landing a Powerbomb Backstabber and an Electric Chair Backstabber which both looked sick. Followed by a crazy looking Gotch Piledriver, and a sick Bear Hug, turned into a Hammer Lock DDT. Teddy really brought the offense despite being a shit person at life. Still, the one issue is probably that it felt a little like move after move, spot after spot, without any real reasoning behind it. Lacked some punched, some brawls, just a few things to break up the moves and add to the psychology of the match.

Still, a damn fine contest and it ended when Wayward manages to get a cheap pin and hold the ropes for the victory.

***1/4

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

Match Eight – Anthony Bowens vs. Eli Drake vs. Matt Macintosh (BRACE for Impact, February 3rd, 2018)

This match followed the pretty standard Triple Threat formula of having one man out of the ring for the early stages, before the two heels in Drake and MM teamed up to beat down the face, Bowens. Immediately this match stands out from the rest because Eli Drake is in it. He’s fresh off losing the Impact World Title to Austin Aries at this point, but he’s just got charisma and star power that nobody else on the Impact Wrestling roster has got.

Anyway, Bowens looked impressive throughout as well and is probably somebody Impact should look at signing. The one thing this match didn’t have was a lot of triple threat spots, however Bowens did get to comeback when the heels started fighting each other and fighting over who would pin Bowens. Drake pretending to be giving Matt a round of applause, only to attack him but get his ass kicked anyway was terrific. In the end, each man is for himself, and they all trade big moves and pinfalls. Once Drake is to the outside of the ring thanks to a Superkick, it’s obvious he’s not winning. I don’t like him losing a match like this when he had his title rematch coming the following week but I guess that’s a story for another day.

Bowens gets the win with a brutal running knee shot, and he looked really good throughout. Two solid matches in a row now which makes me a happy camper.

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

Match Nine – Alberto El Patron vs. Fallah Bahh (BRACE for Impact, February 3rd, 2018)

Firstly, one of the things that I found amusing right from the get go was the fact that Alberto was wearing a pair of wrestling tights that said “ADR”. They must have been an old pair, but just seems strange that they would allow that to happen. Without trying to be an asshole, I’d never seen Fallah before so my first impression was oh god, this will be a bore, but Bahh can really go for his size. The only part of the match that maybe felt a little boring was when Patron had the advantage in the beginning, because all he could really do was clobber Bah. Probably because outside of a half assed Back Suplex, he can’t really lift him.

Anyway, as the match gets into the home stretch, both men trade big moves and Bahh lands his Banzai Drop finish, only for Patron to get a hand on the rope to stop the three count. In the end, Patron landed a DSouble Foot Stomp for the win, but he kind of botched the delivery a little. A slightly underwhelming finish to a match that I would recommend for something different. Match of the night so far for me.

***1/2

Thread Information