Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stojy watches Impact Wrestling at random

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

Re: Stojy watches Impact Wrestling at random

Match 10 – Johnny Impact vs. Dan Maff (BRACE for Impact, February 3rd, 2018)

This is our defacto main event because apparently Emma couldn’t compete or something. What a shame. Anyway, I’ve always been a fan of both of these guys so I was expecting a pretty good match. I was hoping for a little better than I expected as Impact seemed to really struggle. It felt like he treated this as a house show, some of his strikes looked terrible, and even some of his quick stuff just looked incredibly off. I don’t know but I got the feeling he might have struggled with the smaller ring space, as he usually likes to jump and run around quite a bit. He also seemed to play the heel role, which was a little surprising but I liked seeing.

If I’m honest, they maybe stalled a little too long in the beginning as well and it felt like it dragged. Maff was awesome though, even pulling out a Suicide Dive. They put Maff over hard here to, kicking out of the Starship Pain, only to land his finish and get a visual pin. Only reason he didn’t win was because there had been a ref bump. Impact comes back and lands a second Starship Pain for the win but Maff looks great here. I would have judged this harshly if Impact lost considering he’s the number one contender to the Impact Wrestling World Title.

I guess this match solid-ish but just didn’t feel it for to many parts. A bit disappointing considering some of the other stuff on the show **1/2

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

Match 11 – Braxton Sutter vs. Tyson Dux (Last Chancery, March 9th, 2018)

The show opened with Braxton Sutter cutting a promo about how he ditched Allie to focus on himself. He calls Allie ugly in it as well. I get the idea of trying to get Sutter to be a heel, but even in this short promo, I think you can tell his microphone work definitely needs some improvement. Nothing he said felt natural which is a concern. He calls Dux a ham and egger to which I thought was pretty funny, but I’ve been a fan of what I’ve seen from Dux in the past so looking forward to this one.

It was a pretty back and forth match and initially I was surprised at how much offense Dux was able to have, completely expecting Sutter to get the win somehow. I must mention how much I love Scott D’Amore on commentary as well, very refreshing. The match is a strange one to talk about, it was very technically sound and the moves from both men looked great. A back and forth affair which had the potential to be awesome if a few others things were added, but everything felt a little to one pace.

It never felt like the match got slower or quicker or was building towards a conclusion, so there was a lack of drama which makes it harder to keep interested. I don’t rate Sutter that highly and I like Dux though, so I’m blaming Sutter. Anyway, still a solid match but the lack of drama hurt it a little. I should also mention that Dux got the surprise victory, and even more surprising, he made Sutter submit to the Canadian Crab!!! I dug the finish.

**1/2

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

Match 12 – Desi Hitsquad vs. Cody Deaner and Cousin Jake (Last Chancery, March 9th, 2018)

So it turns out this was the Impact Wrestling debut of the Desi HitSquad and they are up against Cody Deaner and his Cousin Jake. Deaner and Jake had a relatively entertaining interview backstage before the match, which was cool because it gave me an idea of what their characters are like. Straight up rednecks who can kick ass which is fun. The match began with them in full swing, but eventually the Desi HitSquad take over. To be honest, I thought both these teams were okay, and I feel like the Desi Hit Squad have some potential at this point.

Their heelish attitude with shooting snot on their opponents and their cheating was quite fun. My issue is maybe they are still a little green at this point, with at one stage both men ending up on the apron because they forgot who the legal man was. Not only that, but their double teams were also mistimed with the referee being able to see some of it. Outside of that though, it honestly was an okay match, and the final minute or two there were some nice teases for both teams getting the win.

In the end, Desi Hitsquad illegal member holds the legs on Cousin Jake when he attempts a Suplex, so the other DHS member falls on top and gets the pin. Solid enough, but far from perfect.

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

Match 13 – Idris Abraham vs. Petey Williams vs. Phil Atlas vs. Brent Banks (Last Chancery, March 9th, 2018)

Before the match started, all four of these men had a yelling match backstage over who was going to win. It was a little cringe worthy I’m honest. Now without trying to sound critical, let’s be real, Petey Williams was never losing this match, and he didn’t. Knowing the winner didn’t really ruin anything though, because the match was still good. They handled it as a standard multi man match with usually only two people in the ring at once, and the other two down on the outside “recovering”. My issue with some of the spots in this match was that without anything overly bad happening to guys, for example Petey, it felt like he was down for 5 minutes on the outside. It just felt a little off.

The match did a good job of giving each competitior a chance to show off some of their stuff, and I thought this did wonders for Atlas and Banks. They both look like they could be solid additions to pretty much any roster, really good stuff. There wasn’t a lot of multi man spots but one they did which was great, was Petey Williams locking in the Sharpshooter, which ended up causing this weird chain where it was almost like the move was locked on all three opponents. Fun stuff.

In the end, we got the usual finisher trade off, with Altas so close to winning, until Petey caught him with the Canadian Destroyer and got the victory. A good match that as far as I’m concerned was entertaining, and got everybody in the match over.

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

Match 14 – Trevor Lee vs. Josh Alexander (Last Chancery, March 9th, 2018)

Firstly, just wanted to mention that I’m a big fan of Trevor Lee, I feel like the last time I was somewhat up to date with Impact Wrestling, he was a big reason why. I don’t know much about Josh Alexander but apparently he does a lot of shows in Toronto (which is where this one is), and holy crap, the crowd loved him. Easily the biggest reaction of the night so far.

As for the match itself, I thought it was quite the solid affair between the two. They both seem like solid to good wrestlers who could put on a great match, so it didn’t feel like their highest quality effort, but it was still rather enjoyable. Alexander hit a couple of real nice moves with a Modified Suicide Dive to nail Lee who was sitting on the apron, and an awesome Rack Bomb as well.

Trevor brought out some real dirty heel tactics to, with biting and fish hooking the mouth of Alexander. Brilliant Stuff. The ending came a little out of nowhere and felt a little soft for the finish, but Trevor got the win with the Double Stomp. I thought the finishing sequence could have been better, but still a solid match.

**3/4
    Last edited by Stojy; 08-26-2018 at 04:42 AM.

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

Match 15 – Eli Drake vs. Marcus Burke (Last Chancery, March 9th, 2018)

Eli Drake came out and cut a promo, not really saying much except for DUMMY, and running down Canada a little bit. No real consequence to it but it was a good way to try and garner some heat from the fans. Burke came out and said he’s a vegan but he’s hunting American’s. He sounded terrible on the microphone if I’m honest. And then Drake grabbed the mic again to run his mouth, only to get hit with a kick to the face. On that note, the match begins with Burke scoring a near fall.

I actually enjoyed this match quite a bit for what it was. I think it’s just because I’m a Drake fan. They went at it back and forth, with the match not really feeling slow for parts as well. I thought Drake really put Burke over here to, allowing him to look awesome for parts. I actually think Burke is quite good. On another note, Burke has Drake up on his shoulders, but Eli rakes the eyes, before landing the Gravy Train for the win.

Maybe not Eli’s best performance but still a solid enough match here.

**3/4
    Last edited by Stojy; 08-26-2018 at 04:42 AM.

I'm beginning to question just how random these matches are...

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I'm beginning to question just how random these matches are...
    LOL this is a very fair point. Went on Twitch to begin doing random Impact and have been side tracked with the first 2 videos being full events. Didn't realise that would happen and didn't want to make another thread.

Chances are the random happenings will kick into gear after the next few matches though.

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

Match 16 – Moose vs. Alberto El Patron (Last Chancery, March 9th, 2018)

Honestly, this match really felt like a complete house show performance. The beginning of the match involved a lot of stalling, and whilst the fans were into the match, they weren’t as into as AEP would lead you to believe, constantly playing to them. The taking a selfie with the fans and what not a little later in the match were okay, but Patron stalled too much in the beginning for my liking. Once the match begun, the offense was slow and boring, and even on the outside of the ring, I lost count the amount of times that somebody rammed their opponent into the padded ring post. And they weren’t hard shots either, literally looked like they were just tapping the post.

Moose’s running boot to a seated Patron was terrible, and outside of when Patron through Moose across a few fans, nothing interesting happened outside of the ring. It was just walk and brawl for half the contest in what felt like a phoned in performance. Once they got back into the ring and started trading some big moves, like Patron going for the Double Stomp, using the Arm Breaker, and Moose looking for his patented Clothesline, and landing the Spear, things definitely picked up and got more enjoyable.

In the end, Moose played to the fans to long on the outside and when hopping back into the ring, he got the ropes kicked into his nuts by Patron. Patron then finished things off with the Double Stomp to get the win. I thought the ending was quite good here, but 8-9 minutes of this match was boring and hard to sit through.

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

Match 17 – Allie vs. KC Spinelli (Last Chancery, March 9th, 2018)

Honestly, this match was a hard one to judge. The girls both weren’t overly great in the ring, actually Allie looks pretty sloppy at times, but I have a soft spot for her… Or a hard spot, depending on how you look at things. Anyway, I find Allie to be quite watchable and KC Spinelli had a lot of personality about her in this match, really heeling it up and it made for a fun dynamic. Her constant dialogue with the fans, the referee and even just yelling at Allie kept things interesting.

The action itself was okay at best, but there wasn’t a big heat period and it was just a very back and forth contest. They started things off with a handshake, and they ended things with a botched Superkick from Allie to pick up the victory. I can find plenty wrong with this match but still kind of enjoyed it.

**1/2

BIG KAIJU~

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

Yeah I remember seeing that Match and being impressed by KC with her Match with Allie. They didn't anywhere with it though, but I believe she is one of the Undead Brides for Su Yung. She could be the female version of Little Guido getting all that heat, maybe it happens for her in the future and she becomes alive again.

Real Women of Genius

The place to see the best of best of Women's Wrestling from all over the World

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Kairi HoHo View Post
    Yeah I remember seeing that Match and being impressed by KC with her Match with Allie. They didn't anywhere with it though, but I believe she is one of the Undead Brides for Su Yung. She could be the female version of Little Guido getting all that heat, maybe it happens for her in the future and she becomes alive again.
    One hundred percent agree with that impression of KC Spinelli, I was impressed as well. A heat magnet that's for sure. Funny you mention Little Guido as on commentary they compared her to Snookie from Jersey Shore, and you could argue that Little Guido probably wasn't far off a male Snookie.

Didn't realise she was one of the Undead Brides though. As I was trying to look it up, found out that her character name is based off of Ashley Spinelli from the cartoon Recess. I loved that show growing up so sort of enjoyed that fun fact.

Hopefully she gets her own run on Impact though. Could fill the role of a solid heel addition to the roster.

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

Match 18 – Austin Aries vs. Kongo Kong vs. Matt Sydal (Last Chancery, March 9th, 2018)
    Impact Wrestling Championship Match

The beginning of the match was a little frustrating as it just felt like straight stalling between the three guys. Kong just stood there as Sydal and Aries jaw jacked and tried to form a partnership for what felt like ages. As the match progressed, Sydal spent a lot of time outside of the ring, allowing Aries and Kong to work one on one. I don’t mind in a multi man match if they decide to break it down to a one on one contest but at least make it realistic. Sydal barely copped any blows and then was on the outside of the ring for half the match. What the hell?

So yeah, an easy pay day for Sydal here. The Aries/Kong stuff was decent, everything felt solid however there was no real urgency or drama to the match. It felt like the match lacked a hot ending with all three men being involved which is a little disappointing as well. A fun spot was when Kong managed to lock both men in a Bear Hug at the same time. The one part of the match I liked was the simple story of Aries and Sydal couldn’t take Kong off of his feet, and it lead to them teaming up to do so.

In the end, Aries dominates Kong with three Roaring Elbows, followed by one to Jimmy Jacobs as well. Sydal then lands the Shooting Star Press, only for AA to throw him out and hit a 450 Splash on Kong for the win. An okay match but considering the names involved, I expected better.

**1/4

Relentless Admin

Status
      Country                    England

Kong was someone I thought would do really well once he got to a TV company, yet everytime I see him in Impact I think he's dreadful. Booking wise he's in no mans land, not really an act that's protected too well or on a trajectory towards bigger things.

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Kong was someone I thought would do really well once he got to a TV company, yet everytime I see him in Impact I think he's dreadful. Booking wise he's in no mans land, not really an act that's protected too well or on a trajectory towards bigger things.
    I agree with you completely, he hasn't been booked well. Although from what I have seen of him so far, I'm not overly disappointed. I don't think he's that impressive, I find him a little boring to be honest.

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

Match 19 – Chavo Guerrero vs. Moose vs. Matt Sydal vs. Jack Evans vs. Caleb Konley vs. Matanza Cueto (Impact Wrestling vs. Lucha Underground, April 7th, 2018)

Honestly, I enjoyed this for an opener. Going 7 minutes, my only complaint is that maybe it could have went a little longer. Moose and Matanza had an awesome stare down before the contest, so you think they’d tease a confrontation throughout… But instead, within seconds, both men clear the ring and begin battling each other. I thought they should have built the anticipation by teasing it a little more. Was still fun though. Evans and Sydal had an awesome back and forth where Evans was able to use his athleticism to do some stupidly fun counters. They kept the match fast paced and the kept the audience interested which is what is needed for an opener.

There was the obligatory outside of the ring spot where everybody hit high risk moves and it was topped by Jack Evans’ epic Springboard Corkscrew Moonsault. Back inside of the ring, each man looks like they could get the win, but Matanza ends up finishing Konley with the awesome Wrath Of The Gods move. Honestly thought this match was pretty solid and could have been better given more time.

**3/4

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

Match 20 – Allie (c) vs. Taya Valkyrie (Impact Wrestling vs. Lucha Underground, April 7th, 2018)
    Knockouts Championship Match

This one is a really interesting one for me. Allie is basically exactly what a not good wrestler looks like, but she just manages to continue to have matches that I enjoy. Her offense can look sloppy and at times she can look uncoordinated, but in this match, carried by Taya, things were quite good. Valykrie dominated most of the early parts of the match with a slow pace, but a pace that worked. Allie tried to comeback a few times and failed, until she got on a roll. She landed her charging forearms for a nearfall.

Allie took a sick bump when she charged for a Corner Dropkick but Taya moved. Valkyrie is awesome though, solid wrestler, good charisma, really dug her performance here as well. In the end, Allie lands a Backstabber and a Codebreaker to get the win in a hard fought match. The audience clearly appreciates work rate as they boo the hell out of the result but yeah, Allie wins in what was a good match.

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

Match 21 – Scott Steiner and Teddy Hart vs. OVE (Impact Wrestling vs. Lucha Underground, April 7th, 2018)

Considering I haven’t watched a hell of a lot of Impact Wrestling, I marked for the appearance of Scott Steiner. Even though I know he won’t really be able to go anymore, I still marked anyway. Steiner and Teddy Hart as a team is hilarious as well, could they picked two people who are more controversial than these two? Anyway, onto the actual match. Teddy starts with a few awesome spots, which is followed by a botched Electric Chair Drop. Luckily, despite the botch, it still looked kind of sick.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention Steiner is in an NWO Wolfpack shirt. ‘Big Poppa Pump’ spends a majority of the match abusing the referee and yelling obscenities as OVE do a solid job of working over Teddy. The only issue is Teddy’s selling wasn’t on point. He barely sold anything and even when he made the hot tag, he just ran over as if he was fresh. Steiner was plodding and slow and basically just landed his five moves of doom, before getting one of the OVE boys to tap to the Steiner Recliner.

Hard to watch Steiner be this slow, I guess that’s why he was only in the ring for a couple of mins. Teddy’s selling was terrible, felt sorry for OVE here as they lose and had to deal with this. Easily the worst match of the show so far.

Thread Information