Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Old Divas Butterfly Belt

Chikara Trainee

Status

WWE The Old Divas Butterfly Belt

I know that most of you probably dislike the Divas Championship belt (the one with the pink butterfly) but I'm afraid that the WWE will eventually bring back the old Divas title belt while retiring the RAW and SD Women's Championship belts in the near future knowing Vince McMahon and Kevin Dunn. Thoughts?

On Vacation

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: The Old Divas Butterfly Belt

I actually really liked it and vastly prefer it to color swapped WWE World Titles renamed Women's Titles. That said, there is literally no reason to think it would ever come back. The IC belt is the only one I can think of where an older design returned over a newer one.

And even then they weren't promoting the fact they ditched the word "divas" for "Superstars." I still maintain there was nothing wrong with the label divas, just like Impact's Knockouts are fine, it was just the booking and promotion that needed to change, but that's a separate discussion.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Miller View Post
    I know that most of you probably dislike the Divas Championship belt (the one with the pink butterfly) but I'm afraid that the WWE will eventually bring back the old Divas title belt while retiring the RAW and SD Women's Championship belts in the near future knowing Vince McMahon and Kevin Dunn. Thoughts?
    What in the world would compel you to think they'd take that massive step backward after all of the self-congratulatory women's evolution shit they've so strongly tied themselves to?

And what is your fascination with the time in WWE history when women were just eye candy?

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread | Silk's Degrassi Recaps
    WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Mafia Overlord, #Iconic

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

[footnote: Is now the longest reigning WWE Champion in Smackdown history]

WC Hall of Famer

The Flow

Status
      Country                    Canada

Classic Rachel Miller

The only time WWE came close to a good story line post Attitude Era was Undertaker/Mordecai - Dakstang
    [06:01 PM]Dakstang
    :
    Yeah I guess you are right. And I only want to be Daddy to my own kids. Sorry.

Chikara Trainee

Status

Actually, I was a fan of Kelly Kelly, believe it or not. She was my favorite WWE Diva IMO.

On Vacation

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Miller View Post
    Actually, I was a fan of Kelly Kelly, believe it or not. She was my favorite WWE Diva IMO.
    I don't think you need to say IMO when talking about who your favorite is.

What specifically about Kelly Kelly did you like above all others? I liked some of the Diva Era women as well. If I had to pick one from that 2006-2010 period, I'd probably say Maryse.

Glitching It

Status
      Country                    UK

I’m not quite sure what makes you think that, do you care to explain? As said already, bringing that championship back would be a disaster as WWE are doing everything to show that they are treating the women better than they did back then.

Or are you suggesting that they’re just going to change the design of the belts? I don’t see what’s wrong with the current designs.

Vote for WC’s Favourite Video Game of the 2010’s!
    CLICK HERE FOR THE COUNTDOWN!

King EC

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Sicario View Post
    I don't think you need to say IMO when talking about who your favorite is.

What specifically about Kelly Kelly did you like above all others? I liked some of the Diva Era women as well. If I had to pick one from that 2006-2010 period, I'd probably say Maryse.
    Mickie James, bro, come on..
    ​​​​​​​​ 2019 King of Wrestling Clique

HOW ABOUT YOU READ THESE THINGS?

Watching TNA's monthly PPVs from the start
    WC's Greatest Superstars in WWE History

Burn It Down!: The Top 25 Matches of Seth Rollins' Career

VOTE IN TICKET WARS VII - THE FINALS!!
    Shock vs. Ed

On Vacation

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The EC View Post
    I thought we were talking about Diva Era women who weren't the best workers. I mean discounting that both Trish and Lita were around in the Ruthless Aggression Era when the Divas started pouring in and my all-time favorite woman from the overall Divas Era would be AJ Lee.

She technically missed the whole Divas Revolution / Women's Evolution push.

On Vacation

Status

Quote Originally Posted by TWG View Post
    I’m not quite sure what makes you think that, do you care to explain? As said already, bringing that championship back would be a disaster as WWE are doing everything to show that they are treating the women better than they did back then.

Or are you suggesting that they’re just going to change the design of the belts? I don’t see what’s wrong with the current designs.
    I don't think they're going to change them, but the problem is they're exact copies of the WWE World and Universal Titles and exact copies of each other. We don't need four belts with the same exact design. It's so boring.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by The EC View Post
    Layla.

Then. Now. Forever.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

The 100 Greatest WCW Matches - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

On Vacation

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    Layla.

Then. Now. Forever.

Glitching It

Status
      Country                    UK

Quote Originally Posted by Sicario View Post
    I don't think they're going to change them, but the problem is they're exact copies of the WWE World and Universal Titles and exact copies of each other. We don't need four belts with the same exact design. It's so boring.
    I should have quoted the OP, as I was directing my post at that.

Im pretty sure the reason for the belt designs being similar is because they don’t want to devalue the women’s belts by making them have a gimmicky design like the butterfly.

And Michelle McCool.

Vote for WC’s Favourite Video Game of the 2010’s!
    CLICK HERE FOR THE COUNTDOWN!

On Vacation

Status

Quote Originally Posted by TWG View Post
    I should have quoted the OP, as I was directing my post at that.

Im pretty sure the reason for the belt designs being similar is because they don’t want to devalue the women’s belts by making them have a gimmicky design like the butterfly.

And Michelle McCool.
    I personally liked the butterfly title, but the original Women's Title that they had on Raw until like 2009ish was a perfectly acceptable design and it looked nothing like the then WWF Title.

Fearless University

Status
      Country                    New Zealand

I cant see them bringing it back. They dont have too, and it wont change anything or mean anything either. This is the big thing with all the praise for ditching the term "Diva". It meant nothing and achieved nothing. The women are called wrestlers now, and are given historical moments...but at the same time utter garbage like Carmella and Alexa are the current Champions. Diva was never a problem, WWE's interest in womens wrestling is the problem. Hell the last several "Divas Champs" Heel Charlotte, Nikki Bella, AJ Lee, Paige, heel Eve Torres produced better TV than most of what we've seen in this post "Revolution/Evolution" era.

GABRIELLE
    Reborn in a Trial By Fire

MADMIN KING

Status
      Country                    England

I think the belt had to change, you can't say you're making this serious effort to change the perception of womens wrestling within your company while the ultimate prize for the women is a symbol of the mistakes of the past. I'm sure the pink butterfly belt must of been a better merch seller than the old womens title for them to make the decision to just go with that one when there was only 1 title on the main roster, but by 2016 it looked really outdated and not in line with anything else going on in the division. The colour change titles of the WWE title work well as a message of equality, but they do look awfully big on a lot of these girls, Bliss I know has to have the straps shortened just to fit around her waist.

Changing the term divas to superstars/women for me was another correct decision. The word alone does have some negative connotations (some positive as well I'll admit), but it's a word that to wrestling fans brings back memories of how things used to be, and just like the butterfly belt, do you want constant reminders of bikini contests and sex object gimmicks when you're educating fans to take these matches seriously. There's also a younger crop of wrestlers who didn't like the term diva like Sasha Banks and I think it's good their voice was heard about how they want to be referred to. The maddening thing about it is WWE still uses the term for 'total divas' for the reality TV so they haven't entirely given up on that term in their marketing.

Fearless University

Status
      Country                    New Zealand

The issue is what has changed? WWE still prefer looks over talent with the women. Alexa’s on her 100th terrible reign as Champ and Carmella has been even worse. It’s just PR. WWE can pat themselves on the back and bask in the good PR while just overlooking the women and pushing the modern day Kelly Kelly’s of the roster.

GABRIELLE
    Reborn in a Trial By Fire

MADMIN KING

Status
      Country                    England

Quote Originally Posted by ETE View Post
    The issue is what has changed? WWE still prefer looks over talent with the women. Alexa’s on her 100th terrible reign as Champ and Carmella has been even worse. It’s just PR. WWE can pat themselves on the back and bask in the good PR while just overlooking the women and pushing the modern day Kelly Kelly’s of the roster.
    The overall quality of matches has improved. Maybe not recently with BS like Carmella's reign which is chicken shit stuff that can effect both divisions just like Jinder as WWE champ last year, but there are many examples of the women being the best part of modern PPVS. If we roll back to Charlotte Vs Asuka, that's one of the best womens matches ever on WWE main roster and it could be argued that it was the MOTN on Wrestlemania. I would also say without question the womens chamber match was the best match from EC, and the womens rumble was well received as well and better than most things on the show. Raw also had a string of womens matches earlier in the year with Asuka of the quality you aren't going to find if you load up a 2010 episode of Raw.

Also, the biggest star in the company is a woman, Ronda Rousey, and that has literally never happened before in WWE where a woman is a bigger deal than her male counterparts. You can go on all you want about Alexa and Carmella, they push Ronda (and to an extent Charlotte), harder than they push those two. Honestly this Carmella title reign is a 3 month blip, they will give up on her soon when Charlotte is healthy again. They wouldn't even let Carmella wear the womens title on Raw during the announcement because they do not want that to be a lasting memory come October.
    Last edited by Ed; 07-28-2018 at 08:03 AM.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status
      Country                    Scotland

I don't think the women have been booked perfectly but the difference between now and 3 years ago is astonishing. Women are over, they're treated with respect by the crowds. They're given TV time, big long term builds (not always good but better than just a constant rotation of challengers with no stories). WWE are in a position where if they felt it was necessary that the women could main event any ppv they wanted and I don't think it would be forced. It didn't feel forced at the Royal Rumble for example and that is one of the biggest ppvs of the year.

I could say that Wrestlemania has a decent shot of being main evented by a women's match in the near future and it's not a bizarre statement (e.g Ronda Vs Charlotte or Sasha). Compare that to three years ago and it's clear that a lot has changed. This year the best two matches at Wrestlemania featured women, just like at 32 too with the triple threat.

Carmella is a test run and Alexa is holding the belt until they want to give it to Ronda.

It's not perfect what WWE are doing but after watching the company for the past 20+ years I've been watching I am still incredibly happy that I now care about what the women are doing and I enjoy their matches. Give me an obnoxious pr campaign that gives us increased standards and opportunities for the women over the status quo degrading diva era bullshit piss breaks any day.

The 100 Greatest WCW Matches - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

Chikara Trainee

Status

Definitely. Take Ember Moon, for example. Notice how announcers have been calling her fat?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information