Thread: The Adventures of Reiko Oktana

"Above Average"

Status
      Country                    United States

The Adventures of Reiko Oktana

So, about a year ago, I decided I wanted to write my own Star Wars story for fun. I like writing from time to time and this was idea I came up with after watching Rogue One. I wanted to write my own side story in the Star Wars universe. And this is what I came up with. Here is an early version of a synopsis that I wrote just to give you a little backstory on an important gunslinger bounty hunter in the Star Wars world. Keep in mind, this is an early version of the story, even before I renamed him to Oktana.

The Adventures of Reiko Kahn

Main Characters:
    Reiko KahnA bounty hunter from the lower levels of Coruscant. He grew up on the cartel ways of his late father, Kargon. As Reiko grew older, he stopped depending on the cartel and began working for whoever offered the most credits. He has no concept of good or bad; only security.

Jango FettReiko’s only friend. The two encountered many years ago in a conflicting confrontation that wasn’t meant to be found out. Once the two very smart henchman figured out the scam, they conspired together to exact revenge on the Hutt that attempted to set them up. Since then, the two have grown a very friendly and successful relationship in which they lend help to each other whenever they need it. If they have any leads on each others’ cases, they let each other know.

Targa the HuttOne of the last remaining of the original Hutt cartel of Coruscant, Targa is Reiko’s main employer. Targa never fails to offer ridiculous bounties for ridiculous reasons, but ridiculous isn’t always necessarily cheap. Targa, like all Hutts, can never fully be trusted. Soon, Reiko gets hints of this and is forced to take a stand.

Ember DunnA love interest of Reiko Kahn. Although Reiko has always been skeptical of allowing anyone getting too close to him due to his profession, Ember finds her way past his reservations. For better, or for worse.

Plot:
    Set in 22 BBY, Reiko is tasked with capturing a gangster from the Takodana system. Tanga the Hutt sends him on a very vague mission to the outer rim. What makes it so mysterious is the wage in which Reiko is being offered to complete the job. Something definitely doesn’t seem right, but Reiko never turns down a job with good pay. The adventure is full of trouble, good times, battles, and memorable encounters. Reiko has to combat with protecting the ones he loves, making it back home safe, and figuring out the true meaning of his task. He will be presented with choices… Which ones will he make?

So that's the jist. Reiko is connected to Jango Fett in the bounty hunting business and gets caught up with the Hutt cartel. I have three chapters written and I will post them up soon. If you guys seem to enjoy it, I'll keep writing more. I actually have a pretty cool idea for how I want the story to go, but if no one likes it then I'll just forget about it and try writing some other kind of fan fiction. But for now, here's this! Any feedback would be appreciated.

Also, here's a sweet sketch my buddy did for me when I told him about it. You can follow him on instagram @scottndx for lots of really awesome drawings. He's the man.
    Last edited by Codename Bags; 07-25-2018 at 10:40 PM.

"Above Average"

Status

Re: The Adventures of Reiko Oktana

Chapter One

As all hell broke loose after the deal went south, all of the gangsters loosely devized a plan amongst all of the ensuing madness. Reiko ever-so-slightly peeks up over the bar only to be scared back down into a crouch. The gangsters have him surrounded. Just as Reiko begins to think his end is imminent, a deep, scratchy voice overpowers the sounds of all yelling and the occasional blast. The empowering sound comes from the entrance of the cantina.

“Everyone put down your blasters now! I would like a word with Mr. Oktana.”

The mysterious individual slowly begins the journey down the small three-step entrance of the cantina. He walks past the gangsters in his presence, who matter-of-factly do as they are told and holster their guns.

“Mr. Oktana has interferred with our business,” The man continues as he strolls around the premesis of the cantina.

“I know Mr. Oktana very well from our dealings in the past. Mr. Oktana would not knowingly interfere with our business. Mr. Oktana would not knowingly interfere with my operations. Mr. Oktana is not like other bounty hunters here on Coruscant. He is a respectable individual who does what has to be done. He is a man of honor and respect and he has earned mine over the years. This is a man of reason. This is also a man that can be bargained with. Reiko Oktana,” The man turns his attention directly to Reiko. “I would like to offer you ten thousand credits to abort your mission and report back to Targo the Hutt that I am no longer on Coruscant.”

All of the man’s henchman look at him like he is crazy. All of the work they have put in and all of the men they have lost trying to subdue Reiko, and now their boss is trying to hire the very same man? None of them know what’s going on. Maybe he’s just trying to save everyone from imminent death, who knows. But one thing is for sure, Reiko definitely knows how to handle himself. He narrowed things down from thirty to seven. Twenty-three men lost their lives today trying to do the dirty work of Korron Blu.

Just then, a loud clank is heard by the entrance, where most of the gangsters are now congregated. All of them look around their feet and notice a small red dot flashing intensely. Just when they realize what it is, one of them yells,

“Thermal detonator!”

The men try to scurry out of the way, but it’s too late. Five of the men are slain in the entrance, the other two are thrown against the wall in their respective areas, and Korron Blu is thrown to the ground a few feet on the other side of the bar where Reiko is still hiding. A stunned Korron Blu looks up, confused, as he fumbles to brace himself off the ground. He tries to crawl to one of his henchmen to grab a blaster. Reiko emerges from behind the bar.

The towering man walks ever-so-slowly around the corner of the bar. He grabs what is left of a container filled with blue milk. He kicks the remnants of a stool out of his way and begins walking towards Blu. Blu looks up at Reiko, knowing that his end is near. He looks at him and asks,

“Can I see your face? I want to see the face of the man who takes me down.”

Reiko tilts his head ever-so-slightly at the proposition.

“Please… No one has ever seen your face. I feel like a man of my esteem deserves things that others don’t. And I’ve stuck up for you in the past… Even to Targo.”

Without breaking eye contact, Reiko quickly raises his recently recovered blaster from one of the fallen gangsters and sets off two blasts that kill the two last remaining henchmen. Blu looks down in horror, and Reiko still maintains eye contact. And then he throws the blaster down.

Reiko sets his container of blue milk on the bar and pulls over a stool. He looks at Korron Blu as if he is demanding him to sit by the look of his eyes. Blu obliges, still in shock over what just transpired. His mouth is wide open as he stares at his fallen men as well as Reiko Oktana.

Reiko pulls over a stool for himself. He grabs a used glass and puts it in front of Blu and then proceeds to pour him a drink of blue milk. Reiko then sits down, looks over at Korron Blu, and reaches up to his face to remove his mask, which rests on the lower half of his face only. Kind of like a scarf/Mandalorian armor mask. He removes the part that sets over his jaw, mouth, nose, and cheeks, and leaves it hanging from his neck.

He reveals to Korron Blu what appears to be a man in his middle age, a growing beard, and a small scar over his right cheek. He looks at Blu with dead eyes and smirks at him. He then reaches over to the container of blue milk and takes a long, drawn-out drink without ever pouring a glass. Blu, still trying to process everything, takes his glass and attempts to bring it to his mouth for a drink, but the nerves of the situation get the best of him and he drops the glass, spilling all of the tasty blue beverage all over himself.

Reiko looks at Blu, “Calm down.”

Blu, once again, astonished at what’s going on, replies, “That’s the first time I’ve ever heard you speak. All these years, and I’ve never even heard your voice.”

Reiko takes another drink,

“Well, if I didn’t tell you that I’m not killing you, you’d probably die from the stress you’re in right now. I need you alive.”

Blu’s looks of horror quickly turn into everlasting joy as he realizes that he is walking out of the cantina alive. But then the excitement turns to more mystery,

“Wait. I am the one you’re here for?” Blu looks almost as if he is offended at the revelation. “Targo sent you after me? That slimy Hutt!”

Blue throws his spilled glass across the cantina and gets up from his seat. He tries wiping the liquid off of his red robe before he attempts walking away from Reiko,

“You’re coming with me, Korron. And you will be alive. Comply.”

Reiko looks at a threatened Korron Blu. Blu looks at a serious Reiko. It’s as if Korron Blu is contemplating a thousand scenarios in his mind during these few seconds. What possible solutions could he come to? He definitely can’t beat Reiko in a fight. Korron is no fighter. Could he run? Possibly. He’s a pretty slender man. He doesn’t have anymore reinforcements, his whole cartel pretty much got wiped out in the last few minutes.

Of the thousands of scenarios, Blu attempts to run. He turns and quickly tries to make it to the entrance. Reiko looks ahead at the choice of drinks in front of him, not in the least concerned with his paycheck attempting to escape. Just as Blu makes it to the steps at the entrance, once again without looking, Reiko points his left arm in the direction of Blu and shoots a honing device attached to a cable. The cable wraps around the legs of Blu in a fast enough manner that the sensors of the cable react and tightens itself against the resistance. The other end of the cable then shoots itself straight up into the ceiling, hanging Korron Blu upside-down right there in front of Reiko Oktana.

The screams of Korron Blu echo throughout the abandoned cantina. Reiko, unaffected, takes a long, final swig of the sweet beverage. He reaches in the pocket of his jacket and pulls out his hologram communications device. He punches in the address for who he is trying to communicate with and waits for a connection. Just then an image of Targo the Hutt appears in front of him on the bar.

“I have him,” says Reiko, matter-of-factly. “I’ll have him in front of you momentarily. Do you have the payment we discussed?”

The massive Hutt replies in his own tongue,

“You ask that each time we discuss the rewards of your tasks. Have I ever failed you?”

“This is a business relationship, Targo. Not a friendship. It is your responsibility to do business just as it is mine. Now, do you have the fifteen thousand?” Reiko inquires once again about the bounty.

Just then, Blu interrupts,

“Fifteen!? That’s insane! What does Targo plan to do with me, transform me into a Hutt?”

Reiko looks over at Blu while Targo confirms that he in fact has the funds awaiting for Reiko’s arrival,

“Bring him to me. When you arrive, I have an even bigger task ready for you. One that will change the way you see the entire relationship we have built. One that will change your entire life as you know it. You have done well, Reiko.”
    Last edited by Codename Bags; 07-26-2018 at 05:30 PM.

Legit

Status
      Country                    UK

I really enjoyed this first update, you have clearly set out Reiko’s character and I like the all-business demeanour. It is interesting that he showed Korron Blu his face, and then didn’t kill him. It also seems that his relationship with Targo isn’t very personal, so Reiko won’t know for sure that Targo will kill Korron. So I wonder if showing Korron his face will actually come back to bite him.

I am interested in this, and will be reading. Nice one mate.

"Above Average"

Status

Chapter Two

“I said minimal casualties,” says the Hutt to a visibly angered Reiko Oktana. “I didn't say kill almost all of his men.”

Reiko ponders the issues brought forth by his boss.

“I didn't kill almost all of his men. I killed all of his men. All thirty. And I have no issue killing him, either.”

A horrified Korron Blu, now restrained by Oktana's cables and mouth shut with fabric, begins screaming. Oktana puts a stern end to this rather quickly. Just then, the patience of Targo the Hutt begins to run thin with Reiko Oktana.

“Enough! He is mine now. And you have no right to threaten my property. I should have you executed right now.”

Almost before the statement is completely spit out of the mouth of the Hutt(literally and figuratively), Reiko unholsters his EE-3 blaster and points it directly into the face of Targo, his boss. The surrounding bodyguards of Targo, Boloff and Liu, unholster their blasters and simultaneously point them directly at Reiko. There is a very serious stand-off commencing. One that remains silent for several very awkward seconds.

“You don't threaten me, Targo.” Reiko warns his boss. “I will end this all right now. You will die and when these two shoot me, my armor will self destruct, leaving this whole bunker in a big pile of filthy, Hutt rubbish. Don't tempt me. I've never liked you, Targo. Don't give me a reason to do what I've always wanted to do.”

Liu and Boloff look at each other, realizing that there's no way around death if they kill Reiko. They lower their blasters. Targo begins laughing. The deep, obnoxious laugh of Targo the Hutt echoes throughout the rusty ruins of the Coruscant bunker.

Reiko, whose face remains hidden behind the leather and metal mask, maintains the emotionless glare that has defined his career and made a living for the very Hutt whose life he holds in his hands. His voice, altered by the disguise of the mask, lets a demand be known to his employer,

“Speak. Tell me why I should allow you to live.”

Targo the Hutt maintains his rather suspicious attitude towards the current situation,

“You will journey to Bespin. In Cloud City, you will find why you should leave me alive here on Coruscant. Unfortunately, my pride and joy in this profession, I can not give you any more details on your mission.”

Reiko puts the barrel of the EE-3 in the face of Targo, directly between the eyes. He presses hard.

“You think this is some kind of joke?” Reiko seems insulted. What bounty hunter would possibly journey that far in the system on a mission with no target, no details?

Just then, the Hutt begins laughing once more, “A joke, you say. One Million credits are no joke, Reiko.”

Reiko's become as wide as the Hutt. Liu and Boloff look at each other in shock. Korron Blu instantly realizes that he's not nearly as rich or as important as he thought he was before this day happened. Reiko completely lowers his gun, looking down at the ground thinking about just how much that pay would mean to him and his life.

One million credits would go a long way on Coruscant. But Reiko has always wanted to move to Naboo and start a new life. One where no one would know of his past. Reiko has lived a life of chaos, violence, and greed. But that's not the life he wants. Could he even possibly have a family on Naboo?

All of these thoughts are interrupted by Targo the Hutt,

“You will need a ship. I am not able to provide you with this. But once you arrive in Cloud City, you will be greeted not by violence, but with direction. The man who confronts you upon arrival will be who guides you to your pay. He needs someone of your talent to assist him with a project. I am not at liberty nor am I informed enough to give any further details on your mission.”

Just then, Targo seems to get a little more serious towards his prized henchman,

“Reiko, you have made me proud. The day I purchased you from your father, I vowed to myself to provide you with enough money to retire one day and live the life that you wanted. I have seen you grow into a man who doesn't need me to give you anything, but a man that will take anything you want. Reiko, go to Bespin. Take your future from the man who awaits. Complete your task and then live the life you want to live.”

Reiko can't believe the way Targo is addressing him. It is unheard of for any cartel boss, much less a Hutt. But Reiko takes heed of Targo's wishes and leaves the place of operations that has become a second home for him over the years. As he takes a seat in his speeder and begins the journey back to his residence in Coruscant, he wonders exactly what is so important that he has to go all the way to Bespin for such a substantial amount of money.

His best friend, Jango Fett from Kamino mentioned something about a new clone trooper initiative that he had been tasked with and a few run-ins with the Republic as of late. Reiko feels a need to contact his old friend for a little investigation. He arrives at his apartment in the lower levels of the city planet and grabs a tall glass of his favorite blue milk before sending for contact with Jango. Finally, the signal reaches and a hologram of the bounty hunter appears in front of Reiko.

“Jango, my old friend. I'm afraid I have a few questions. I don't want to take too much of your time.”

Jango looks pleased to see his old bounty hunter friend.

“Reiko, you get ten years older every time I look at you. You need rest, my friend. What can I do for you?”

“Targo is sending me on a mission to Cloud City in Bespin, but he's not telling me what the mission is. He says the only thing he can tell me is that if I make it to Bespin and meet some man, I'll receive one million credits. I honestly don't really know what to do or how I feel about it. It seems very odd for me to take this job without knowing what I'm even doing.”

Without hesitation, Jango replies, “Do it. Take the job.”

Reiko looks surprised. He's never known Jango to be so eager to take any job. It's not all about the money. A lot of factors go into the decision to take a job or not. You have to consider everything around the job before you think about the job itself. What is the job? How will it affect business? What happens after the job? You can't answer any of those questions without actually knowing what the job is. That's what makes it so strange for Jango to reply so quickly with such a matter-of-fact answer.

“Do you trust me?” Jango asks Reiko a very simple yet random question that only makes Reiko even more curious about everything going on.

“What do you know that I don't know? Is this about your Clone Trooper thing? Because I don't work for the Republic. You know how I feel about choosing sides in this political nonsense. It's the fastest way for a bounty hunter to end up in jail.”

“This has nothing to do with what I'm doing. You won't be working for the Republic, but I do know who has sent for you. I can not tell you who the man is, but I can promise you he is good on his word and you will be paid.”

Reiko is even more confused. He can already tell that something doesn't feel right about this situation, but he also knows that Jango would never lie to him. He takes Jango at his word before Jango tells him that he has some business to attend to,

“I hate to cut this short, but I'm afraid I am needed on Geonosis. There are very important matters to attend to and I must be on my way. Reiko, be careful, old friend.”

Reiko says goodbye and closes the hologram. After much contemplation, he decides that first thing in the morning, he'll head out in search for a ship that will take him to Bespin. As he gets ready for bed, he reflects on what has been an extremely long day. A lot has happened. But tomorrow looks as if it's going to be the beginning of an incredibly long and exhausting, yet potentially extremely rewarding adventure. But then again, Tatooine is never fun...

"Above Average"

Status

Chapter Three

It's been about five years since the last journey to Tatooine. It's never pleasant when you're on that sandbox of hell. But the last time was particularly frustrating for Reiko. He was on a job where Targo sent him to meet with perhaps the most infamous Hutt of all, Jabba. Jabba had been trying to get together this new execution pit and needed help from some of the top hands in the cartel to set up this execution pit over the top of a sarlacc nest. Getting all the technicalities just right for this thing was a huge ordeal. Reiko, several of Targo's cronies, and even Jango all met up to get the thing going. In a very serious turn of events, Jango even slipped off the balcony we had set up and Reiko had to save him from the menacing monster of a worm.

Reiko got so frustrated after getting the job done that he was just annoyed with everything on the planet. The heat, the Jawas, the the sand, and especially the Tuskan Raiders.

As the whole crew were on their way back to Jango's Slave I, a gang of sandpeople rammed the side of the speeder carrying all five men. One of the guys didn't make it; he was killed on impact. Jango was flung into the distance a great deal. One of the Raiders was thrown from their (presumably stolen)speeder and he made contact with another one of Targo's guards, while Reiko was knocked almost unconscious. The third guard was then ganged up on and beat to death by the staffs of the three sandpeople who were involved in the incident.

They apparently decided Reiko was worth more alive. The Tuskan Raiders are a vile, savage group of animals who have little regard for their own well being, much less that of an outsider. By the time Reiko regained consciousness, he was bound to a wooden post in a tent at a smaller camp of the raiders.

The funny thing about Reiko Oktana is that he has literally never been in a moment of fear. Ever. He has encountered some of the most dreaded beings in all the galaxy over the years, but he always maintains his confidence. He is always negotiating, like any good bounty hunter does. The difference for Reiko is that everyone else negotiates with someone else; Reiko has perfected the art of negotiating with himself.

In this particular situation, Reiko knew he had three options. One of them probably wasn't going to work on a Tuskan Raider because they dont negotiate, but it was worth a shot anyway. Option number one was to use the old “self destruct” trick that he used on Korron Blu's guys and countless other situations. But the Raiders are so savage that any type of negotiation doesn't really ever work. Option number two was to use his renowned hand-to-hand combat skills that have proven to not be anything to be taken lightly. He really didn't want to have to put in so much work, which is why he was counting on option three: Jango saving the day.

And that's exactly what happened. Almost simultaneous to the contemplation of the option in the mind of Reiko, loud blasts echo throughout the cold desert as the Raiders go into a state of panic. Reiko patiently awaits the blasts to cease and for his friend to come inside the tent to free him. Jango makes short work of the outpost and rendezvous with his bounty hunting partner.

“Took you long enough,” Reiko teases to his friend. Jango unties Reiko and looks outside the tent one final time to make sure all of the Raiders are dead.

“I was just trying to see if I could get you to panic. I love it when you panic,” Jango counters.

“You know I don't panic. If anything, they were panicking because I wasn't panicking,” Reiko arrogantly proclaims. Jango laughs it off.

The Raiders were merely a pest for the bounty hunters that made things very inconvenient for their already stressful adventure. Even Targo the Hutt had to be understanding of the situation. There was no stopping the Raiders from doing what they did to the three unfortunate guards from the cartel. This whole trip was a disaster.

Looking back, Reiko would rather go just about anywhere other than Tatooine to find a ship. But he knows there's only one creature who sells ships for a price low enough worth this, and that's Watto.

Watto is a Toydarian junk dealer who happens to stumble upon some pretty nice ships from time to time. Watto is very tight with his business and doesn't really make any friends. He likes doing business with people, just like bounty hunters. Reiko has only dealt with Watto once before when he and Jango were trying to leave Tatooine at the end of their mission. He brought their ship to Watto to have some of his slaves make some repairs.

Watto didn't care too much for Reiko or Jango's helmets. He likes to see who he's dealing with, he said. He threw kind of a big fit about it, but soon he realized that Jango Fett and Reiko Oktana weren't two men he needed to get sideways with. Especially after they showed him how much money they were willing to pay to get off the God forsaken planet. After he saw how much they were willing to pay extra for faster service, he shut up about wanting to see some faces and started yelling at the slaves to get to work.

All in all, Watto was a pretty straight shooter when it came to doing business. They were out of there in little to no time, and Watto honestly wasn't even going to charge that much money for the damages. Or at least that's what he said before Reiko and Jango tipped him. You can't truly trust a Toydarian. Or a bounty hunter, for that matter.

It was the dawning of a new day. The day. Reiko's protocol droid comes to wake him up and bring him a fresh glass of imported blue milk, Reiko's favorite. The droid places Reiko's gear on the table beside the window that overlooks Coruscant. Also on the table is Reiko's blaster and utility belt. Reiko gets out of bed and walks over to the window and looks out at the city. Something inside is telling him that this is the last time he'll look out at this city. And he's ok with that. Reiko never liked big cities. He wanted to live in peace his whole life. Cloud City isn't much better, but it's definitely a start. Once he gets this payment and completes whatever job it is he has to do, his number one priority will be finding a new home. But he knows it's one day at a time.

As Reiko is about to begin getting dressed, the protocol droid comes up to him and informs him that a visitor is here to see him. He orders the droid to send them in, but he reaches over and grabs his knife just in case. A bounty hunter never goes unprepared. But Reiko's fears are put to ease as he sees his old friend Lara walk in.

The closest thing to true love that Reiko ever found was Lara. They grew up together, bonded together, shared a lot of special moments together.

Thread Information