View Poll Results: Are you looking forward to an all women WWE PPV?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! Yes! Yes!

16 64.00%
  • Indifferent

7 28.00%
  • Hell no

2 8.00%

Thread: WWE Evolution Discussion

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    YES! YES! YES!

Status
      Country                    England

Evolution WWE Evolution Discussion

On Monday Night Raw, WWE Chief Brand Officer Stephanie McMahon announced the formation of WWE Evolution, a groundbreaking all-women’s exclusive pay-per-view event that will take place on Sunday, Oct. 28, at 7 p.m. ET from NYCB LIVE, home of the Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum in New York. The event will stream live on WWE Network and be available on pay-per-view around the world, featuring Women’s Championship Matches from Monday Night Raw, SmackDown LIVE, NXT and NXT UK, as well as the finals of the all-women’s tournament, Mae Young Classic 2018.

“Because of all of you, men and women using your voices for change, we are able to provide the platform to show the world that women can do anything and be anything they want to be,” McMahon said on Raw. “Because of all of you, we are able to stand here and make another first-ever announcement. On October 28, over 50 women, then, now and forever, will participate in an event called Evolution, and that event — I am privileged to announce — will be the first-ever all-women’s pay-per-view.”

“Three years ago, our fans demanded a change with the hashtag, #GiveDivasAChance, and an evolution started,” said Paul “Triple H” Levesque, WWE Executive Vice President, Talent, Live Events & Creative. “Since that time, our female Superstars have overdelivered in every opportunity presented to them, and I expect nothing different during our first-ever all-women’s pay-per-view event.”

Every woman on the roster will be on hand, including Ronda Rousey, Charlotte Flair, Alexa Bliss, Sasha Banks, Carmella, Nia Jax and Asuka, as well as WWE Hall of Famers and Legends Trish Stratus, Lita and many more.
    I have conflicting thoughts on this. I think it's great there's going to be an all womens event, in an era where WWE's pay-per-views all feel the same because it's Raw and SD all meshed together in 4 hour shows, a show with a fresh theme and identity that's different to anything I've seen before really appeals. I feel like they could easily do a 2-3 hour PPV event for 205 Live now those guys don't get PPV opportunities anymore. Getting rid of the solo brand PPVs has really reduced the opportunity for a lot of women to get on the show because they only have time for the title matches now (which have been low in quality) - compare it to something like Elimination Chamber 2017 where Smackdown Live put 3 womens singles matches on the show. A night where the likes of Ember Moon, Ruby Riot and Becky Lynch can get back on PPV is alright in my book.

However, that gratuitous announcement on Raw really irritated me. To announce it in the manner they did was bad for several reasons; firstly it broke kayfabe because you've got heels and babyfaces all on the same stage, all smiling and applauding, forgetting all their current feuds because there's a manufactured empowering moment for women going on and they all have to behave themselves as their boss talks to them in a pep talk way that should of been backstage and shot for WWE 24. I mean you've got Carmella and Asuka inches away from each other having the time of their life on stage like nothing has been going on between them for months. I felt exactly the same way about the Royal Rumble which was a nonsense. A minor point too, but where was SD GM Paige when this historic moment for her female roster members?

The bigger criticism for me is how hollow the whole thing feels. It continues the forced narrative that WWE are leading a charge in female sports/entertainment and at no point do they feel sincerely apologetic for how long they held off making their womens wrestlers equal. This all could of happened 5-10 years earlier if Stephanie was that passionate about it, look at the bad taste angles that were going on when she had the book on SD all those years ago. Instead what we've got now is a non stop parade of 'first time ever historic moments' with Steph's face plastered over everything to present the company as being progressive towards women, and now in Breast Cancer Awareness month (get ready for pink ropes) the focus is again going to be on what the company are doing for the women, not what the women are doing for the company. This is the same company that 3 months ago chose Saudi money over their equality morals, so forgive me if I'm not quick to pat WWE on the back for this one.

Rant over. On the positive side of things I can see this being one of the best shows WWE puts in all year because they'll be keen to make a statement and the women will want to shine. The usual problems that hamper current WWE PPVs probably won't be a problem here. Putting the MYCII finals on this show means we're likely to get at least one very good match looking at the names announced for this so far. I just hope there's not too many returning former stars.

Thread Information