Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Premier League 2018/19 Discussion Thread

Status

Re: Premier League 2018/19 Discussion Thread

Didn't really expect a win here, even at home. Was hoping for a solid performance. Going down fairly early only makes that tougher.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

THE HEARTBREAK KID

Status
      Country                    Portugal

Yeah, Arsenal will be delighted with a draw. While it's only 1-0, always a chance.

"LET ME IN.."

THE HEARTBREAK KID

Status

Arsenal fans cheering for Cech to boot the goal kick long instead of playing it short LOL!

Don't think I've seen that before Haha!

"LET ME IN.."

Heel Champion

Status
      Country                    Wales

Quote Originally Posted by Deco90 View Post
    My Cardiff fan friends are basically saying the same.

I understand it, but for me, they defied the odds by getting up their last season. No guarantee it will happen again. Now you're there, have a go! I think if they could survive the first season, they would be a mainstay in the Prem for a while.

Hopefully I'll go to a couple of games this season.
    There is that but they're learning from the mistakes last time. They've not spent a great deal compared to Wolves and Fulham, so will have something spare if they require a goalscorer in January (Which they will). I think Cardiff will do ok in their home games but will suffer on the road, a bit like Brighton last year.
    I have a plan so cunning......

Status

Well, no real complaints. We can't compete with City for talent or for tactics. But the latter could change once Emery has some time. We are still going to have defensive and defensive midfield problems this season. But at least we have a manager who might take proactive steps to address them going forward.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Great start to the season for us. Glad to see Mane bag two and Salah get his first of hopefully many more this season. Keita seemed to fit the system well and was the player we sorely missed last year. Glad that Alisson got his first clean sheet too. Positive stuff thus far:

Established Veteran

Status

It’s a game Arsenal were expected to lose. I got the score right. Only managed to watch a few minutes here and there as I had guests around. At least we limited Man City to only 2 goals but we shouldn’t have conceded these goals. Thought we played quite well, more positives than negatives from this game. Impressed with Guendouzi, good debut. Made some errors but he’s still learning.

There’s room for improvement for Arsenal in certain areas. It’s going to take time as it’s a rebuilding process. We're a team with a new manager and a new system. We’ll get better as the season progresses. We should play Auba and Laca together and Leno and Torreira should be starting instead of Cech and Xhaka. Now Arsenal need to get a result from the Chelsea game, never good to lose two on the bounce.

Good start for last season’s top 5 as they all won. For the promoted clubs, a good point for Wolves. Cardiff as expected lost and they will struggle this season. Fulham lost but Palace who lost 7 in a row last season, start with a win. Richarlison scored a brace, with the crazy money Everton spent on him, only time will tell if he turns out to be a hit or flop. Bournemouth and Watford will probably be in a relegation battle so a good start for them against two other teams(Cardiff and Brighton) who will also likely be in a relegation battle. So glad that PL football is back.

Established Veteran

Status

Another tough game for Arsenal. Playing away against Chelsea won’t be easy. Both sides are rebuilding. Not impressed with our line up. No Leno, Torreira and Lacazette. They’re all on the bench. Torreira should have started ahead of Xhaka. We needed Laca to start with Auba as we need goals. Would hate to lose back to back games but it’s unfortunate that we had to start the season against two strong teams. Will happily take a point but expecting another defeat. Predicting Chelsea to win 2-1 but hoping that Arsenal get their first win under Unai Emery.

Status

I went from moderately optimistic to sure we are going to lose. See Xhaka on teamsheet again, knowing he won't do much defensive tracking and is likely to expose the kid beside him and the two center backs.... Ah well, progress is going to take time so fuck it.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Relentless Admin

Status
      Country                    England

Arsenal have been given a horrible start fixtures wise, but this is dreadful so far. Chelsea are all over them.

Established Veteran

Status

This defence Long season ahead but hoping that Emery gets it right.

Heel Champion

Status

That miss by Auba just made it all the worse too.

THE HEARTBREAK KID

Status

Dear Oh dear, Arsenal. New Manager, new season, same Arsenal.

Chelsea have looked so good and are playing some lovely stuff, got to say. Kante is now literally everywhere!

That said, could be 2-2. Bad misses from Auba & Miki

EDIT: Jesus! 2-2 now, hell of a game! Delighted Miki scored. More goals to come please! :D
    Last edited by Deco90; 08-18-2018 at 01:12 PM.

"LET ME IN.."

Established Veteran

Status

What a turn around. Never expected us to come back from 2-0 down. Delighted we are back in the game but the defence has been shocking. We’ve missed some open goals, Auba missed a sitter. 2nd half starting now so a good decision by Emery to bring on Torreira for Xhaka.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

Poor defending all round. Poor tactics from Emery too. Aren't Mustafi and Sokratis two notoriously slow centre backs or am I mistaken? Why have such a high line if that's the case. And it doesn't help that they barley pressed, leaving them wide open at the back. Willian was decent on the attack today but he did nothing to help Alonso today, who was good in both duties I thought. Both really need to sort that out before thinking they have a chance.

With that being said, great goals. That ball for Morata was wonderful as was his finish.

Established Veteran

Status

The joys of being an Arsenal fan. Back to back defeats We have to improve defensively. Thought we’d get a point after that comeback at least but disappointing to lose this. The loss hurts more than the Man City defeat because we fought back from 2-0 to have it end like this. It’s early days and a lot of work to do, it’s going to be a long process.

Our next few games should give us a better idea of what this team is like under Unai Emery. He needs to stop starting shit players. No expectations, just want us to play better football, improve our away record and win against big teams. Hopefully our season properly starts next week and we go on a good run.

Status

Prototype Arsenal performance, in a lot of ways. Disappointment. Hope. More disappointment. Appreciate that we showed some fight, but all three goals were various levels of "should not happen". Some really basic defending errors. Bellarin needs to be better. Iwobi and Miki up top need to be better than they were in the first 25 minutes, in a defensive sense, because they weren't working from the start. The two center backs don't look up for this level. They will probably do just fine against the lower half of the Prem but against elite level players.... nope. Xhaka is back to his absolute worst - given his improvement toward the end of last season and his World Cup, I was legit hoping he could take a step forward under Emery. But he looks like he could get passed by other midfielders in the pecking order. Auba has those kind of days and always had, so as frustrating as that was, its just part of him as a striker.

Emery messed up. He impressed with me being willing to hook a useless Ozil and Xhaka, the kind of subs that rarely happened under Wenger. He didn't pick the right squad in the first place, though, and it seemed like Arsenal went more conservative from the start of the second half, which clearly backfired after they finished the better side and ended up losing because of the change in approach. Its going to be a learning process under Emery and I think we have to accept that. I just hope he learns from his mistakes here and holds that players who fucked up accountable. Because Wenger never ever did that.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Arsenal have had a pretty rough opening 2 weeks to weeks to the season having to face City and Chelsea back to back. It'll be interesting to see how they perform in the few games against lower opposition they should be beating. It'll be a bit easier to assess then.

Heel Champion

Status

Shambolic first half performance by Man Utd, Brighton could easily double this score if the 2nd half goes like the first.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Loving third season Mourinho. Always good for a laugh

30 Days of WC Member's Choice - Coming Soon - PM me match suggestions

Shock Reviews Archive

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

Thread Information