Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: WWE Summerslam 2018 Discussion

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: WWE Summerslam 2018 Discussion

I’m with MC 16, I thought the match was great. Definitely better than their previous outings this year, imo. I was okay with the finish too, tbh. I just wanted the championship off of Lesnar so I didn’t really care how it happened just as long he was dropping it.

As for the show as a whole I liked it, I thought it was pretty good imo. The length didn’t even bother me either and it kind of flew by, tbh. MOTN for me was either Rollins/Ziggler, Miz/Bryan, or Gulak/Alexander.

Rest in power, Flock U

Team Cyrus T is Best for Business

Quote Originally Posted by Ed
    Stop the hating of the E-Feds. If you don't like something, that's fine, just ignore it and let the people who do enjoy what they're here on WC to do. Mocking them to make you feel less of a geek for being on a geek on a wrestling forum is lame. If you want to not read their posts, I can fix that for you.

Status

lol that was the biggest fuck you to the fans I think I've ever seen this company pull. "Oh this guy? You want this guy to be champ? This guy right here? Fuck you, it's Roman."

This might have been the best card of the year for WWE so far? Good matches from Seth/Ziggler, Joe/Styles, Bryan/Miz pretty much makes the show at least partially worth watching. But also, jesus, you had three squash matches in one show, another god-awful booking decision in the main event, and a lot of overall fuckery in the form of cheap, dull finishes. Seth and Ziggler might have been the only REAL match of the night that ended on a genuine, unpredictable high point (squash matches aside). So overall, a lot of disappointment and air being sucked out of the building tonight, with appearances by the Demon King and a Ronda title win needed to keep some life in the crowd.

I dunno, I have a lot of pretty bleh feelings about this one.

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread
    WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Walked With Elias Before Anyone, #Iconic

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

[footnote: Is now the longest reigning WWE Champion in Smackdown history]

YES! YES! YES!

Status
      Country                    England

I loved the last two matches on the show. I thought they booked them near-perfectly. Ronda squashing Alexa is exactly what needed to happen to establish her as a star and the new ace of this division; especially on a show like this I enjoyed no shenanigans, just Ronda is flat out better so she wins. Brock/Roman I thought was a miles better than their last two matches, I really enjoyed it and I thought the use of Braun worked. On paper I think most people would of expected that a Roman win would of got rejected in Brooklyn, but they actually got lets go Roman chants (roman sucks) and cheered his victory and I think part of that is down to Brock beating up Braun to make him the heel in the situation. If Braun would of cashed in after Roman won I think you yet again fuck over Roman and we have to sit through the same old story again about so close but so far for Roman and now he's chasing the champion again. After 3-4 years I'm dying for a new character arc so I want to see where this goes next.

Quote Originally Posted by Silk View Post
    This might have been the best card of the year for WWE so far? Good matches from Seth/Ziggler, Joe/Styles, Bryan/Miz pretty much makes the show at least partially worth watching. But also, jesus, you had three squash matches in one show, another god-awful booking decision in the main event, and a lot of overall fuckery in the form of cheap, dull finishes. Seth and Ziggler might have been the only REAL match of the night that ended on a genuine, unpredictable high point (squash matches aside). So overall, a lot of disappointment and air being sucked out of the building tonight, with appearances by the Demon King and a Ronda title win needed to keep some life in the crowd.

I dunno, I have a lot of pretty bleh feelings about this one.
    I loved the use of squash matches on this show, this show felt a breeze to get through compared to previous Big 4 6 hour events and I think a large part of that is having these quick one sided matches and they help establish he the bigger star is. Corbin's a fucking joke he shouldn't of been on the show anyway, so I thought it was hilarious he lost so quickly.

I thought this was WWE's best show since the rumble easily. Bryan/Miz MOTN. The finish for them is perfect, it's just hurt by shit like the SD tag titles being a DQ for no valid reason, not like New Day need protecting. I think the biggest criticism of the night was too many finishes with an eye on rematches next month at HIAC.

Brick Shithouse

Status

"I'm going for gasps!"

WWEs makeup artists need sacked.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

WWE Intercontinental Title Match - Dolph Ziggler (w/Drew McIntyre) (c) vs. Seth Rollins (w/Dean Ambrose)
    - Real poor match to kick off the show. The commentators were telling the story of Seth's knee but they hardly did anything involving the knee. Pretty dull as well. Crowd didn't seem into it either. Also what was with Seth channeling Davey Richards with that reverse suplex into a falcon arrow? Looked cool I guess, but very dangerous. I think it's clear as day that Seth and Ziggler have zero chemistry together. Near enough all of there matches together since the start of the feud have been very lackluster. I can't even say it under delivered because I never thought it would be any better than it was. Not a good match imo. **¼

WWE SmackDown Tag Team Title Match - The Bludgeon Brothers (Harper & Rowan) (c) vs. The New Day (Big E, Kofi Kingston & Xavier Woods)
    - This was pretty fun for the most part. The ending was really flat though and disappointing. **¾

Braun Strowman vs. Kevin Owens
    - BRAUUNNNN!!!. NR

WWE SmackDown Women's Title Triple Threat Match - Carmella (c) vs. Becky Lynch vs. Charlotte Flair
    - This was actual decent for the most part. Nothing was terrible and they all covered for each other well. That moonsault attempt was horrific though. **¾

WWE Title Match - AJ Styles (c) vs. Samoa Joe
    - The finish isn't ideal but I liked it. Joe getting super cocky and AJ snapping. It was awesome. Joe’s striking was pretty good as well. Some of the slaps looked brutal and his kicks. Flashes of old school joe. More of that please. AJ’s bumping was excellent as well.The match started off slow, but it slowly built and built and got faster paced as the match progressed and had a good ending, imo. ***½

Daniel Bryan vs. The Miz
    - This was an excellent match, in my opinion. It wasn’t very fancy. It was very simple but it was done very well. Both wrestlers played into their roles perfectly. Bryan trying to prove he still can go, beating the hell out of the Miz with his pinpoint kicks. Nailing him surely in the chest, to the point of making Miz start to bleed. Miz wanting to prove he is better than Bryan, doing it his way. Trying to grind down Bryan and outsmart him. Had a nice sol school feel to it. Good finish as well within the context of the feud. Miz vs Bryan was an incredible match. People can say it's slow, but it was never boring to me. Kept me engaged throughout and had some simple yet incredible storytelling. The only worry I had with the Miz if he could wrestle at a high standard and he proved that in this match. Bryan is still the best wrestler in the company and NO ONE can touch him, in my opinion. Awesome match, my WWE Match Of The Year. No doubt ****¼

Baron Corbin vs. Finn Balor
    - Nice. NR

WWE United States Title Match - Shinsuke Nakamura (c) vs. Jeff Hardy
    - This didn’t last long at all and hardly anything rememberable happened. *

WWE RAW Women's Title Match - Alexa Bliss (c) vs. Ronda Rousey
    - This was a squash and everything it should've been but what the heck was everything in between? Ronda’s strikes made me laugh so hard and her “I’m tough and angry” mannerisms were laughable. NR

WWE Universal Title Match - Brock Lesnar (w/Paul Heyman) (c) vs. Roman Reigns
    - This was actually pretty good, in my honest opinion. Nice tease of the quick ending in the beginning. Great urgency shown by Reigns. None of that million suplexes crap. This was to the point. The Braun stuff was unneeded but did provide the throwing of the briefcase moment. ***½
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

Status

Ronda/Alexa a dud but Brock/Roman three and a half stars?

Yeesh.

Curtain Jerker

Status

I wouldn't be surprised if Braun cashes in on Raw tonight

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The EC View Post
    Ronda/Alexa a dud but Brock/Roman three and a half stars?

Yeesh.
    It was a squash, I don't rate squash matches. Same for Braun vs KO and Corbin vs Balor
    Last edited by MC 16; 08-20-2018 at 10:42 AM.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by MC 16 View Post
    It was a squash, I don't rate squash matches. Same for Braun vs KO and Corbin vs Balor
    Fair, that was a bit of a snap response.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    I loved the use of squash matches on this show, this show felt a breeze to get through compared to previous Big 4 6 hour events and I think a large part of that is having these quick one sided matches and they help establish he the bigger star is. Corbin's a fucking joke he shouldn't of been on the show anyway, so I thought it was hilarious he lost so quickly.
    I'm okay with squashes on PPV I just think there were maybe too many tonight. I'm cutting Braun and Owens from the show if I'm going around changing things on this account. Ronda beating the hell out of Alexa is fine by me and perfect as it is (though I might work on Ronda's mannerisms a bit), and the Balor squash is actually maybe my favorite booked thing of the night. At first it seemed really random to bring the Demon King out of the closet for something as dumb as a Corbin match, but it piped the crowd right up in the middle of a long show and also immediately established Balor as someone to be contended with again after a year+ of subpar booking. I like both of those, I think three may have been too many, with a Braun/Owens match that Braun didn't need and Owens didn't deserve.

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread
    WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Walked With Elias Before Anyone, #Iconic

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

[footnote: Is now the longest reigning WWE Champion in Smackdown history]

Brick Shithouse

Status

Ziggler vs Rollins – This was no good. Very pedestrian and they have no chemistry together. Ziggler was absolutely god fucking awful and I don’t know why I’m surprised. He’s gone to the Carmella school of trying to generate heat. Crowd was bored out of its mind until they started spamming big spots. Yawn. Rollins is having a good year, get him away from this clown. *1/2

The Bellas can’t act.

Bludgeon Brothers vs New Day – really fun tag match, shame about the bad ending though but I dug it before that. The mallet, somehow, has managed to beat Triple H’s sledgehammer as the worst weapon of all time. ***1/4

Braun Strowman vs Kevin Owens – Exactly what it needed to be. Very happy to see it. Owens bumped well for Strowman. The “Monster in the Bank” nickname sucks, but then again all WWE nicknames suck. SQUASH

SmackDown Women’s Championship – Another month, another poor month of this. Carmella still sucks at pretty much everything (though her suicide dive was cool) and was a total detriment to the match at every point. I haven’t seen a wrestler worse at a heat segment in a match, male or female, possibly ever. And the crowd died a horrible death when she was doing anything, as they usually do. Because how can you be excited over a wrestler whose only ability is the ability to mask her ineptitude and inability to wrestle with screams. Don’t know about Charlotte winning if it is just her beating Becky over and over, but if we get a good Becky run from this I’ll be happy. Love Becky as a face but I’m totally down for heel Becky again. Plus the women’s matches going forward on SmackDown might actually be watchable. **1/2

Joe vs AJ – This absolutely ruled. Fantastic start to the feud, lots of anger and hate especially towards the end. The strikes throughout were awesome. Can’t wait to see the next match between them and no issues with the finish either. ****

Bryan vs Miz – GOAT tier video package. Superb. Awesome match too, don’t know if I prefer this or the previous match but I loved the story they were going for here. Miz’s chest will be very sore. Keep this feud going forever. ****

Balor vs Corbin – Corbin’s music is cool but really doesn’t suit his new look. This was bizarre all round but it was as long as I’d hope it was going to be. Don’t know why this warranted THE DEMON but whatever, Corbin sold it brilliantly. The Demon still makes him act like a dork. Shite. SQUASH

Hardy vs Nakamura – Loved the interactions of them in the first minute. Match wasn’t anything to shout about but that’s to be expected, and I enjoyed it for what it was. Best singles match Jeff has had in this run that I’ve seen. Jeff’s bump on the apron was nuts! ***

Ronda vs Alexa – I kind of wanted to see a proper match here because Alexa has been pretty dominant over the Raw women’s division and shown to be competitive. But I’m excited for the reign of Ronda going forward. Her makeup was all time bad. I thought Becky’s was awful but this was just a whole new level. Awful. For a squash though this was great and Alexa’s facial expressions were on point as always, but I don’t think that this needed to be a squash given Alexa’s booking over the last two years. SQUASH (but a fun one)

That hell in a cell advert was embarrassingly bad.

Roman vs Brock – Hey ... I kind of enjoyed this. Felt like the Goldberg vs Lesnar match where I had no expectations and was pleasantly surprised. No messing about just balls to the wall in a short match. Liked that the two of them were throwing everything at each other quickly because they were fighting thinking that they had another match to go. Finish to the PPV was a bit odd without the cash in, would have liked to have seen a staredown or something first. But there you go. Good stuff otherwise, well booked. Thought the use of Braun was genius way of booking themselves out of a potentially disastrous situation. ***1/2

Overall I thought this show was a blast even if my thoughts were negative. I agree with Ed that the squashes really helped the show flow quickly and two of them were matches I had no interest in anyway. Two great matches and a few good ones. The best thing I can say about the show is that almost every match had something worth talking about and memorable (even if it’s something like Hardy’s apron bump, the Demon, whatever)

God Mode

Status

Quote Originally Posted by AceTrippin View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if Braun cashes in on Raw tonight
    Same.

Also, hello fellow person from Maine. o.o;
    Fate whispers to the warrior
    'You can not withstand the storm.'
    The warrior whispers back,

I am the storm.

WAKE UP

Status

i feel similar to shock on a lot of the show. I could have done without Braun squashing Owens - a more competitive match would have been better and done more for both guys - but Owens bumped like a loon and I'd agree with whoever said it was somewhat fresh to have a couple squashes on the show. i just dont think this one should have been a squash.

I loved the Becky trigger pull, that was probably the biggest pop of the night. Hopefully they don't go full heel with her and run her vs Charlotte as face vs face - both women are pretty justified in their actions.

Liked AJ vs Joe, it was basically just them stiffing each other for 20 minutes, and I look forward to their following matches. Joe's best WWE match.

Bryan vs Miz was OK but pretty underwhelming, considering. Needed way less typical WWE running through trademark spots and more actual storytelling. Did like a couple spots but they clearly have a better match in them, which hopefully we'll get.

I appreciate that the Rousey match was best served as a squash, but Bliss is just a chore to watch once the bell rings. Even as a stooging coward heel her wrestling acting feels hokey and Rousey's attempts to get the crowd chanting with no reaction were awkward. Styles make fights and hopefully they put Rousey with more interesting opponents next.

Main event was better than WM but that's a low bar. To be fair I did enjoy it but this was clearly done with the angle in mind. However Braun saying he's not a coward then saying he'll cash in straight after the match was pretty bitch move. The fans clearly wanted him in the match but that wasn't what they were going for. Atleast we FINALLY got a PPV ending with a real babyface title win pay-off, when was the last time that happened??

YES! YES! YES!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Silk View Post
    I'm okay with squashes on PPV I just think there were maybe too many tonight. I'm cutting Braun and Owens from the show if I'm going around changing things on this account. Ronda beating the hell out of Alexa is fine by me and perfect as it is (though I might work on Ronda's mannerisms a bit), and the Balor squash is actually maybe my favorite booked thing of the night. At first it seemed really random to bring the Demon King out of the closet for something as dumb as a Corbin match, but it piped the crowd right up in the middle of a long show and also immediately established Balor as someone to be contended with again after a year+ of subpar booking. I like both of those, I think three may have been too many, with a Braun/Owens match that Braun didn't need and Owens didn't deserve.
    They probably could of done without Owens/Braun but then it would of looked really weird to not have him booked in anything on the show. I wouldn't want to see 3 squashes every PPV though, I'll admit that much.

I wish they would of used a better reason to bring back the demon after a year away, but it was a great segment and was the energy drink the crowd needed at that point. They reacted big for it. Problem is they will not follow this up with anything for Finn because he already couldn't get a look in before Dean Ambrose returned.

Quote Originally Posted by Shock
    SmackDown Women’s Championship – Another month, another poor month of this. Carmella still sucks at pretty much everything (though her suicide dive was cool) and was a total detriment to the match at every point. I haven’t seen a wrestler worse at a heat segment in a match, male or female, possibly ever. And the crowd died a horrible death when she was doing anything, as they usually do. Because how can you be excited over a wrestler whose only ability is the ability to mask her ineptitude and inability to wrestle with screams. Don’t know about Charlotte winning if it is just her beating Becky over and over, but if we get a good Becky run from this I’ll be happy. Love Becky as a face but I’m totally down for heel Becky again. Plus the women’s matches going forward on SmackDown might actually be watchable.
    Stunned by the amount of reviews I've read today that still criticise Carmella and have nothing bad to say about Charlotte. I thought Charlotte showed diabolical timing and execution last night and was the weakest by far of the three in the match. I hope WWE have enough tact to see fans still really like Becky and the reaction last night was for people happy that she's showed some character growth and wants to make a change, as well as a rejection of Charlotte on top yet again. I do not want to see bitchy, cheating Becky. Just give me fired up Becky hell bent on winning the title from Charlotte.

---

Some other random thoughts:

- I'm worried that Vince already sees more money in Zelina Vega than he does Almas. Zelina has been presented as the star for the last month and then she was the one picking up the win on a preshow. She's already wrestled more on SD than she ever did on NXT TV.

- Miz breaking out the Nigel lariat on the ropes that he previously used against Bryan in their 2010 NOC match was an awesome callback moment.

- Literally what was the point in the Paul Heyman attacked by Brock, back with Brock storyline? It didn't lead to anything

- Wasn't there a story that Jeff doesn't do the Swanton on house shows anymore because it's too painful to do it so often on the road. What's he pulling out the apron swanton miss on a match no-one was excited for that he wasn't winning? He's a mad man, always has been.

- Steve I think Goldberg beating Kevin Owens for the title at Fastlane 2017 is the last PPV that matches what you're saying about a babyface winning a title to close a show.

- I actually think this is the first time I've ever preferred the main roster PPV to Takeover on a Takeover weekend. Ciampa/Gargano just left such a bad taste in my mouth.

"Above Average"

Status

Going into this weekend, the two matches I was more excited for than any other were the two Women's Title matches on Summerslam. And the Smackdown Women's Title match didn't disappoint for me. I loved it. I hated the finish, but only because I wanted so badly to get to see Becky win the title again. The heel turn was bittersweet for me. To me, it truly felt like watching Ricky Steamboat turn heel. That's the level of babyface that I feel like Becky is. I'm not so sure that the turn wasn't done to try to get the fans to stop being so vocal in their support of her. I don't see Becky being the champion going into Wrestlemania, and I honestly believe turning her heel and trying to get the fans off her back was their attempt at saving their plans for Charlotte. Either way, I think Becky is very close to achieving Daniel Bryan status with the fans and I don't think there will ever be a time where people don't love her.

As far as everything else on the show, aside from the repeated DQ finishes on the blue brand title matches, I loved the show. I really liked having two squash matches on the show. I feel like it was a really smart way to keep the fans on their toes for the entirety of the show. The crowd wasn't really allowed to go dead at any point and that makes for a better show overall.

AJ and Joe's match is a match of the year candidate for me. I feel so guilty for not expecting this quality of a match from those guys. I guess I just assumed their style of match wouldn't work in WWE like it did in TNA but they really have perfected the style of a WWE match. I'll never underestimate these guys again. AJ is having one of the best runs as WWE Champion that I can ever remember seeing. I've never seen the guy have a bad match and I still have to pinch myself every time I even see him come to the ring because I still can't believe he's in WWE. I felt like they had the best story by far in their match. Going into the show, I was kind of "meh" about it but Joe grabbing the mic during the match and doing his thing made it all more real, especially with AJ's beautiful wife and daughter at ringside. Side note, I know that AJ and his wife met and grew closer through their worshiping of God. And always hearing that AJ never curses, is such a great guy, and such a great family man damn near made me buy into the kayfabe in the match. I almost found myself hating Joe for the things he was saying. It's been a LONG time since I've been legitimately invested in a match. It was a lot of fun to have those type of feelings again.

The Universal Title match was something else, that's for sure. I was waiting on Brooklyn to completely hijack the show, but Vince sure as hell outplayed that game of chess by sending Strowman out before the match started. And then... the biggest "fuck you" to the crowd I've ever seen by taking Strowman out. Props to Vince for coming up with such a clever way of working the match and getting the outcome he wanted without the fans shitting on the whole thing. The match wasn't even that bad. I always tell my friends that Brock Lesnar has perfected the art of wrestling like a video game boss fight. You have to hit 47 of your strongest hits to even have a chance of winning. He just keeps coming and taking away all of your health with no effort. Know what I mean? The finish came sort of out of nowhere, but I thought it was good no less. I'm OK with Roman being champion, but honestly I would've liked to have seen Brock retain. I don't remember the last time I saw a Brock match that I didn't love.

The Machine

Status
      Country                    Great Britain

The only decent matches of quality and had everything I like in a match was the Miz v Daniel Bryan and Charlotte v Becky v Carmella, the rest were ok, I'd give the Miz v d.b 4** and Charlotte match 4 , the rest aren't even worth marking oh I forgot the squash match with the gorgeous sexy Ronda Rousey she looked smoking hot but her make up spoiled it, for something that non fans call fake did u how twisted Bliss arm was jeez and I think that's why she's successful so far as for once it does actually look real , glad Raw has fighting chump in Reigns and to see the shield put the monster through the table was cool , I was working abroad when the shield were in the pomp so missed it though I did see some great Spanish indie promotions with the Lucha liber style mixed with European , American styles which was good, overal, 7/10 , can't wait for hell in a cell

Peace y'all
    Favorite WWF Wrestlers: Stone Cold Steve Austin, The Rock, Hulk Hogan, Ric Flair, Undertaker, HBK, Triple H , Rey Mysterio , Eddie Guerrero , Kane .

Favorite British Wrestlers: Davey Boy Smith Snr, Doug Williams, William Regal, Spud/ Drake Maverick, Will Ospreay, Drew McIntyre, Nick Aldis , Marty Scurll , Rampage Brown .

Favorite Active Wrestlers: Brian Cage, Charlotte Flair , Pentagon Jr , Ronda Rousey , Ricochet, Becky Lynch , Kenny Omega , Taya Valkyrie, Rey Fenix , Liv Morgan.

JOIN PWA TODAY !

Scumbag Role Model

Status

Man, the women’s triple threat getting four stars is one of the most generous ratings I’ve ever seen.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

"Above Average"

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Nicky View Post
    Man, the women’s triple threat getting four stars is one of the most generous ratings I’ve ever seen.
    Charlotte can do no wrong in the eyes of a lot of people in the business.

Thread Information